Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: TUBI

There's an interesting thread on 6-speed re: RSS's IPD plenum vs. a design by AWE that seems to infringe on copyrights. Anyway, thought this was interesting:

Alex at Sharwerks RE: IPD Plenum:

"As a seller/installer of many of these I have to say I've seen _more_ than 5hp on dyno runs and that's on the NA ones. The TT ones have always worked well and I've seen anywhere from 15-24hp to the wheels at least on the 996TT. I've physically seen the 997TT one being dynod at EVOMS' facility as well and that came out to 23awhp."

Also on this particular dyno (STOCK Turbo) the peak HP gains arent that remarkable, gains obviously vary and imo approx 20HP seems to be about the avg. but look at how greater power comes on earlier @ 3800rpms there is a 35HP increase. More interesting though is look at the ft/lbs increase w/ plenum- 46ft/lbs increase! That's what people are feeling in the seat of their pants tests imo, mid-range between 3-4k rpms there is a 35HP (max) increase and a 46ft/lbs (max)increase.

Quote:
    bingo said:
    Well guys in the USA I am not sure why champion are telling you those tips were prototype?? I have ordered them a couple of days ago from Scuderia Uk,they even have them on there web site, when I get them I will post picture, they tell me that most of the guys in UK that have tubi are ordering them, I have ordered mine with black ceramic coating as the std silver is a PITA to keep clean

bingo - You were right about the tips. Appears that Tubi isnt going to manufacture the type of tips that I wanted, ones like the Tubi 997 S tips. The ones you posted are the ones that are coming out in the US too. Guess I'm keeping mine stock.

Yesterday I was at champion doing service to my C2Scab and they had a white TT with the Tubi and some other mods. What a sound It must have been the best 997TT I have ever heard I was an AWE fan, but I think I am converted. You picked the perfect setup for your TTcab

Quote:
    rhino said:
    Yesterday I was at champion doing service to my C2Scab and they had a white TT with the Tubi and some other mods. What a sound It must have been the best 997TT I have ever heard I was an AWE fan, but I think I am converted. You picked the perfect setup for your TTcab

Thanks, yeah imo you cant beat the way the Tubi sounds. And it sounds even better with the Cabrio.

You lucky #cker

Hey Stradale sorry for the late reply, been to the ukraine for a few days reckon it is going to cost about Pounds200 to get the tubi installed,then there will be the mirrors and I am really thinking about the plenum, but like you say wonder if it will affect my warranty ??so you going to stay with the stock tips, you not like the ones tubi are brining out,I think they will look fantastic in black ceramic, thats what I am getting,still not sure with me seat backs

Did somebody say mirrors. Gregg, this should be your next mod. When I test drove the 997TT in Europe in the spring of 2006, I noticed three things about the outside mirrors that I liked. 1) aspherical mirrors with outside corners curved to see blind spot on driver's side, 2) black borders on the edges preventing glare unlike the stock mirrors and 3) no "objects in mirror are closer than they appear" on passenger side mirror. I managed to get the part numbers for these and had them ordered. They're still self dimming unlike the ones offered by Suncoast. I'll get the part numbers if you guys are interested.

Driver's side

Notice the dotted line separating the normal portion with the outer "curved" section

Passenger side

Installed the Tubi last week and to be honest with you it was expensive but oh my god, this car is another beast now. All that weight in the back is GONE. I can honestly feel the extra HP and the car breaths better. I brought home the old exhaust just in case and it required 2 people to carry it. The sound is just perfect. Any louder and it would have been too much. Cost me $5400, $4600 for the exhaust and $800 for the install. I been driving a lot more after the exhaust change. Much more fun. Later guys

I am new to the world of modifying cars (so excuse my ignorance). From what I have read, it sounds like the TUBI exhaust the the route to take. Now I just need to find the right shop to do the work in Houston, TX. Any recommendations?

Autodynamica

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Installed the Tubi last week and to be honest with you it was expensive but oh my god, this car is another beast now. All that weight in the back is GONE. I can honestly feel the extra HP and the car breaths better. I brought home the old exhaust just in case and it required 2 people to carry it. The sound is just perfect. Any louder and it would have been too much. Cost me $5400, $4600 for the exhaust and $800 for the install. I been driving a lot more after the exhaust change. Much more fun. Later guys

Tubi Rules!

Gregg, You know what I mean, ha!!! ? I love this car now with the new sound

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Thx guys. Makes sense to use the OEM tip and just hear the roar of TUBI, ha I am getting all hyped up. Ordering them tomorrow AM. Here is what the ceramic coated tips looks like. Wonder if any of you guys ave done this? They only charge couple hundred to coat the tips.

can i ask you what is the brank of the rear spoiler and from where you get it?

Thanks

Quote:
    silverrules said:

Wait. I gets even better after approx. 2000 miles. My break-in miles are behind me btw. Wooooooooo hoooooo!!!!!!

Sound level wise it's loud enough to sound aggressive but you can still have conversations in the cockpit w/ the top down without having to shout over the exhaust. (as long as you're not at WOT) Plus sound quality wise it's the best sounding Turbo exhaust imo.

I couldnt be happier w/ it. Glad you like it!

Gregg,

I have an "appointment" with Dick next week to hear his Turbo's Tubi. I can hardly wait and you are not making it any easier.

I honestly think I am going to like all 3 and it would break my heart to have to pick one.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Gregg,

I have an "appointment" with Dick next week to hear his Turbo's Tubi. I can't hardly wait and you are not making it any easier.

I honestly think I am going to like all 3 and it would break my heart to have to pick one.

Looking forward to your opinion on it.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Did somebody say mirrors. Gregg, this should be your next mod. When I test drove the 997TT in Europe in the spring of 2006, I noticed three things about the outside mirrors that I liked. 1) aspherical mirrors with outside corners curved to see blind spot on driver's side, 2) black borders on the edges preventing glare unlike the stock mirrors and 3) no "objects in mirror are closer than they appear" on passenger side mirror. I managed to get the part numbers for these and had them ordered. They're still self dimming unlike the ones offered by Suncoast. I'll get the part numbers if you guys are interested.

Driver's side

Notice the dotted line separating the normal portion with the outer "curved" section

Passenger side

Jason - Sorry if I missed it but what are the part numbers and where did you order them from?

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    silverrules said:

Wait. I gets even better after approx. 2000 miles. My break-in miles are behind me btw. Wooooooooo hoooooo!!!!!!

Sound level wise it's loud enough to sound aggressive but you can still have conversations in the cockpit w/ the top down without having to shout over the exhaust. (as long as you're not at WOT) Plus sound quality wise it's the best sounding Turbo exhaust imo.

I couldnt be happier w/ it. Glad you like it!

Gregg, Thanks to you. I can't really thank you guys enough. Glad I listen to your recommendation about the Tubi. Best option in my car. I just passed the 2K mi and been pushing my luck with the cops

Quote:
    imcarnuts said:Jason - Sorry if I missed it but what are the part numbers and where did you order them from?

Duffy,

Since I had these ordered before I even knew about Sunset Porsche, I got these from my own local dealership for way too much. Get them from Sunset instead.

997 731 035 03
    997 731 038 03

I am having the TUBI exhaust installed next weds and i am thinking about doing the ECU upgrade also. (thanks doug for giving me Luis at autodynamica's number) I know it voids the warranty, so i wanted to see if anyone has heard of any issues when upgrading the ECU on a car with tiptronic transmission? I am worried about overloading the trans. (i searched the site, but could not find anything)

thanks

No problem, tell Luis I sent you.

Re: TUBI & Awe chips

If you check out Awe's web site you will see that when you use their chip upgrade product (GIAC) they also give a you a chip (not expensive) that you can easily put in that returns your car to stock in case you need dealer work done. I'm a newbie but the info and instructions (good photos too) seem straight forward even to me. If a dealer looks closely they can see that it is not the original chip but apparently not many dealers bother to have a look at the chip if the car is running "stock." I thought this was a good/clever option from Awe. Question is can you use an Awe chip with your Tubi exhaust? I can't see why not, but more experienced members are better qualified to answer this.
    Good luck.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    rhino said:

Thanks, yeah imo you cant beat the way the Tubi sounds. And it sounds even better with the Cabrio.

Stradale.....the exhaust is amazing on the cab. I had mine installed a couple days ago, and even when the roof is up, I find myself driving with the windows down...especially in my parking garage at work!

yes the Tubi is amazing!

I drove up to Half Moon Bay for the OC today and never turned on the stereo - we just talked and listened to the glorious Tubi exhaust note. After 1,000+ miles on the Tubi it is sounding even better than it did right after I installed it!

Dick

Quote:
    TexasHedge said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    rhino said:

Stradale.....the exhaust is amazing on the cab. I had mine installed a couple days ago, and even when the roof is up, I find myself driving with the windows down...especially in my parking garage at work!

Glad you're enjoying it!
    It wouldnt surprise me if the Turbo had the largest % of after market exhausts from all cars.
    I'm lovin my Tubi. Best sounding Turbo exhaust IMHO.

Quote:
    dkreidel said:
    I drove up to Half Moon Bay for the OC today and never turned on the stereo - we just talked and listened to the glorious Tubi exhaust note. After 1,000+ miles on the Tubi it is sounding even better than it did right after I installed it!

Dick

I found the same thing. It definitely gets even better after 1000 & slightly better than that after 2000 miles All depending on how you break-in your car of course. If you mostly hold the revs down till 2000, imo that's probably part of the reason the exhaust is still changing after that time.
    I dont see myself selling this car, just dont. Anyone else feel that way?

I normally keep my cars only a few years, but I think the TT is a keeper. I just picked up a lightly used F360 that is amusing but will probably only be in the garage a year or two.

The TT is a superb car, and although I just bought a BMW for a daily driver I'm beginning to think the TT could serve in that role - what a car!

Dick

I've owned a lot of cars (13 Porsches starting with a 1958 356 in 1968) and a few Ferrari's along the way, and the 997 TT is definitely the best all around car for me. It is undeniably the most powerful, and it is one of the more streetable cars as well. I've made the mistake of over customizing cars - aftermarket exhausts, major engine upgrades, suspension upgrades - and I will be very careful about what I do with this car; it would be easy to "ruin" it. I also really like it's understated styling.

I've gone to the GT3 RS wheels to replace the stock wheels I never liked, and I will probably do the Tubi exhaust and maybe that will be it! We'll see.

Quote:
    Newman said:
    I've made the mistake of over customizing cars - aftermarket exhausts, major engine upgrades, suspension upgrades - and I will be very careful about what I do with this car; it would be easy to "ruin" it.
    I've gone to the GT3 RS wheels to replace the stock wheels I never liked, and I will probably do the Tubi exhaust and maybe that will be it! We'll see.

I may chip mine, but with the brushed P40s and the Tubi I am a very happy camper! I too have screwed-up some really good cars by taking them one step too far (okay, 4 or 5 steps) and I'm not going to do this to the TT.
    I do need to ditch the RE-050As that came stock and mount a nice set of PS2 tires.

Dick

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 3:43 AM
    rhino
    802756 1804
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448425 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265952 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89964 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6439 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885443 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832442 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM