Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Spanish F1 Grand Prix

Can't wait to see the race this weekend. 3 weeks since Bahrain is a long gap! I wonder which teams will improve the most following testing and new aero packages during the interval?

I read Luca di Montezemolo's comments today on Alonso. He said "I want two equal drivers that work together...To line up Kimi Raikkonen and Alonso would mean wanting to damage yourself."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7334527.stm

Interesting stuff. I was a little surprised that Ferrari actually commented on speculation since they usually prefer not to do this. I guess Ferrari wanted to remove the unnecessary media distraction from its attempts to win the titles this year.

So Alonso will never drive for McLaren again (Hell would freeze over before that ever happens) and he can only hope to get a seat at Ferrari if Kimi leaves. I don't think Kimi plans to go anywhere. He has been at McLaren without winning the title and I doubt he would ever go back unless McLaren were to develop a car that was significantly faster than Ferrari. I doubt that will happen. Plus, Hamilton looks like he wants to stay at McLaren for his entire career. I doubt Kimi would want to be Hamilton's team mate.

BMW seem very happy with Kubica and Heidfeld so it looks like Alonso will have to stay put at Renault or move sideways (but not necessarily upwards) to teams like Williams or Toyota. I can see the next year or two getting increasingly frustrating for the Spanish driver. His frustration is already very high after only 3 races of this season. I predict that in 2009 he just won't be able to take yet another season like this one (i.e. in an uncompetitive car). So I expect he will want to leave Renault at the end of this year and push for a seat at Williams or Toyota. However, the problem for him is that Williams seem very happy with Rosberg (who is their team leader). If Williams replaced Nakajima with Alonso, I can see things going nasty very quickly. Rosberg will hate this. The thing is Frank Williams is pretty tough and will not care about people's feelings much if it means he can get a driver with a proven winning record.

Toyota, on the other hand, seem happy with Trulli and Glock. I doubt they would want to destabilise their ship by bringing in Alonso.

The key point is that the current hierarchy of performance is very unlikely to change drastically in the short or medium term. Why? Because the teams have all signed an agreement to freeze engine development for some years. They have been trying their best to compensate for this with improved aerodynamics etc. But, in 2009, even the clever aerodynamics they are currently still developing will be banned. So, the pecking order between the teams won't change hugely. The result is that the game of musical chairs that Alonso is playing (moving from team to team looking for a better car) is ultimately doomed to fail. The reality is that the teams with the best engines will always have a huge advantage for as long as the engine freeze is in force. Ferrari, McLaren and BMW hold that trump card. (I know the freeze was agreed to keep costs down but it also froze the pecking order to the disadvantage of the teams with less powerful engines).

Alonso, whom I respect enormously as a driver, seems, on a personality level, to have become toxic waste that no one, apart from Renault, really wants to touch.

It's a great, great tragedy for the sport of F1 that one of its most talented drivers ever also has the potential to ruin the harmony within any team that does not give him no 1 status.

Makes me think how the Renault engineers, designers, mechanics etc etc must feel right now. They are no doubt working so hard to try to improve their car but, despite this, Alonso is just desperate to leave if he can get a better car. If I were them, I would feel like I had been kicked in the teeth.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/6104470.stm

When Alonso left Renault to go to McLaren, he made such a show about visiting the Renault team in the UK and in France to wish them well telling them that if he couldn't win at McLaren, he hoped they would win because they were the best etc etc. It sounded very superficial to me then and now it's been exposed for the utterly hollow talk that it really was.

The bottom line IMO is that every driver looks out for himself but, I fear, Alonso is discovering, to his great personal cost, that this does not mean one should not avoid making enemies. Burning bridges is never a wise thing in the long run IMHO.

Anyway, let's see how this weekend goes. Should be fascinating

Re: Spanish F1 Grand Prix

If BMW continue to develop and can have a go at the title next season, they would want a driver of a higher calibre than the two they employ now. Alonso could fit this requirement.

I think the same. BMW technique seems to become more stable. Not sure of the drivers if they are experienced enough.

Still think that Ferrari is the leading team, so I'm very excited to see how they will do next weekend.

Is this thread about the Spanish GP? Or is it just another Alonso bashing thread? Is there going to be an anti-Spanish campaing from the UK this week? I wonder what the British media has prepared for us.

Kubica is very very talented, and Mario Thiessen seems to know that.

I think Kimi is on for a win this weekend BTW

Thanks for starting up the thread Easy.

I'm predicting Raikkonen, Heidfeld, and Kovalainen on the podium this weedend.

As for Alonso, I think that Renault's questionable future back in 2006 largely forced Alonso to sign with McLaren for 2007. Now that he is back at Renault, he should stay there. It's good for him and the team that he has his options open (motivational); but with the 2009 aero limitations, I think Renault will do quite well.

@gangajas: my friend, your post was not really fair. I was not 'bashing' Alonso. I actually feel sorry for him. I thought that this would be clear when I wrote things like:

"Alonso, whom I respect enormously as a driver..."
    "It's a great, great tragedy..."
    "...one of its most talented drivers ever..."

Where I have been critical of Alonso is in his off-track relationships (especially with his teams) and how he has managed his media relationship. On a personal level, he has not earned my respect. Anyway, I have only expressed my opinion (which I am entitled to have). If you disagree, I have no problem with that. It's just us guys talking on the internet...

Anti-Spanish campaign? But I really love Spain, the Spanish people, the lovely weather, the delicious Spanish food and so many other things about your wonderful country. Why would I launch an anti-Spanish campaign?

I haven't written that much specifically on the Barcelona GP itself mainly because I don't have that much to say on it yet. Hopefully, once Friday Practice starts, we can start analysing the lap times etc etc. There will be something more concrete to talk about then...

Hey, I love your country. So, please just relax, okay?

@cgt: I agree - Kubica has been a great find for BMW. He has the potential to go on and achieve really big things. I think Heidfeld is in a much more precarious position. It seems that the only way he can hold onto his seat at BMW is by consistently out-qualifying and/or out-racing Kubica. I mean that in the sense that, even if Kubica were to be out-driven by Heidfeld, no one would question whether Kubica should continue to have a seat at BMW. His 'worth' is accepted. However, with Heidfeld, no one takes his 'worth' for granted. It's as if he has to prove it each time, each race, each year.

Heidfeld is a very able but IMHO not very spectacular driver. He seems to achieve just enough without grabbing everyone's attention. He seems to be just below the radar. These are just my perceptions. It's a pity for him since I think he is actually quite good. But, I agree with reginos and Lars997 that, if BMW do a driver shake-up, it's likely to be Heidfeld that goes rather than Kubica because somehow we seem to know what Heidfeld can give whereas Kubica offers the promise of so much more. Effectively Heidfeld is driving near his best just to stay ahead of Kubica whereas Kubica could go on to do so much more.

The interesting thing was that Heidfeld was unchallenged by Villeneuve. Jacques wasn't much of a threat so Heidfeld never felt the pressure to push himself. He only raised his game when the new guy, Kubica, started to make him look tired and old. To his credit, Heidfeld responded but he shouldn't have let things slip like that in the first place. It makes him look forever lazy in my eyes. He was 'coasting'.

I agree with you about the race outcome. I think one of the two Ferrari drivers will take it (barring accidents, breakdowns). Massa or Kimi, take your pick.

I also think McLaren have gone backward in recent weeks/races compared to the competition. I am no longer optimistic for their chances this season. I can easily foresee in the Constructors Championship Ferrari coming first, BMW second, McLaren third etc etc...

@Gladstone: you're welcome buddy. Somebody has to do it! I'm just as happy if one of the other F1 enthusiasts kicked things off... heaven knows there are plenty of us who have this F1 addiction!

I think it's just great that the European part of the F1 season is now here. More testing, more development between races...should be fun

http://timesonline.typepad.com/formula_one/2008/04/the-price-goes.html#more

I said some time ago that I think Luca D's previous complimentary comments about Alonso were gamesmanship to destabilise McLaren and I agree with this article that Alonso should focus on building Renault into a winning team, as Schumacher did with Ferrari. This would also go a long way toward salvaging his reputation.

Easy, totally agree with you on Heidfeld. I would love to see Rosberg and Kubica in BMW's, I bet that would be a great driver pairing.

I agree, I think the title battle as such will come down to Ferrari vs BMW but in reality I think the drivers championship will only really be between the two Ferrari drivers. And for the first time in many years I also think we will see them allowed to race down to the wire in the red cars with equal chances. Should be great to watch.

Thanks for the link to the article in The Times, cgt It's pretty uncanny how similar some of the things this guy wrote are to what I said.

And that's not a good thing, Ed Gorman is well known for being extremely biased. Of course he won't say that he's not a good driver, only people like cgt does that, but he has been spreading BS against Alonso since last year's Monaco GP:

You're a pretty tough guy to please gangajas

I simply said it was "uncanny" i.e. I was pointing to the coincidence that we said similar things. He may be biased but I am not. I hope you can see that I try very hard to be very fair in my opinions.

I don't know Ed Gorman and I haven't read anything else he's written before so I am not defending his record.

Just consider this if you will. He may be biased usually (as you say) but that doesn't exclude the possibility that, on this occasion, he has nonetheless said something true. That might explain how he said something similar to me.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. I only speak for myself and I know that I only write what I sincerely believe to be true. End of story

Hope you enjoy the race
    Easy

I have said this before and I will say this again. Alonso's best option is to go to Red Bull. With Adrian Newey on board there, they just need a driver to develop the car and win races. Mark Webber can't do that, and David certainly is past his best.

As for this weekend's GP, Kimi will win it.

easy, give it up mate, I have been trying to deal with this guy's paranoia for months! Like banging your head on a brick wall, I would imagine much like being Alonso's team-mate. If we can grow up gangajas and have a sensible discussion I do find this an interesting subject and I think Alonso could do a lot to repair his reputation and get away from the negativity by making a real go of turning Renault into a good team. He is a top notch development driver, we know that, and no one questions his ability, but he needs to let it come through and focus on winning, not all the peripheral stuff...

Ooops sorry to shatter your illusion but I actually said I think Alonso is a good driver, something I have said several times before..must be hard to see with the red mist of paranoia...I have said on many occasions he is a very poor sportsman and human being, very different to driving ability..!

This race is very important for Hamilton... If McLaren here won't be on pace, then I think he can forget to being in battle for this year's championship...

For Alonso I think best option for next year is BMW. They are better every year and they need one driver who knows how to win world championship.

Quote:
    cgt said:
    Ooops sorry to shatter your illusion but I actually said I think Alonso is a good driver, something I have said several times before..must be hard to see with the red mist of paranoia...I have said on many occasions he is a very poor sportsman and human being, very different to driving ability..!

Sorry, but I cannot take seriously someone who writes things like these:

Quote:
    cgt said:
    My answer is that I think he may be about the same as Alonso, possibly better. I base this on two particular performances by Timo Glock, Istanbul in GP2 and Long Beach in CART (which he won the championship in his rookie year).

Massa, Kimi, Kubica in that order on Sunday!

Thanks for the post Easy! I always look forward to your analysis and this week you are right on track by focusing on FA (Hamilton who?). I saw nothing in you analysis which in any way insulted the incredible driving talents of FA.

With such mechanical parity now, and more so in the future, drivers will need to reach into their bag of tricks to set themselves apart. The smartest comment I have seen in this thread is that FA needs to build the team like MS did with Ferrari. EXACTLY!
    In this day and age of parity building a team AND total devotion to every aspect of the hunt for performance is the best way to set yourself apart if you are a driver with a desire to win.
    When I recall MS it is the hard work and endless hours he commited to that team which most impressed me. We forget what a POS team Ferrari was when MS stepped in.
    Today, for FA and Renault, it would be like FA winning with the India team in two years time!
    There is no reason why, with good leadership skills and MS like dedication from an above average driver any of the current teams could not be front-runners.
    Parity will allow the drivers to make a much bigger difference than in the past (and not just on the track). My point is that the driver who works the hardest and builds the best team relationships will see a much greater return on such activities than anytime in the recent past. Gone are the days when you just show up and drive! It is time to hone the team and the aero dynamics. Team managers need to hire drivers and facilitate such driver involvement with this in mind.

Can't wait for the race, I have done around 200 laps around the Spanish track in the last three weeks getting ready! (Simulator on 10ft screen - I can run a 1:19 but it's the 2001 track and car setup) If anyone can get me an F1 test I would be happy to carry the 44+ banner for all of us old-timers.
    Cheers

The British press doesn't talk about equality anymore

Quote:
    Lewis has a really tough job being team leader this year. I think he's putting a lot of pressure on himself, and I suspect the mistakes are a product of frustration really.

http://www.itv-f1.com/Feature.aspx?Type=Martin_Brundle&id=42365

Quote:
    gangajas said:
    The British press doesn't talk about equality anymore

as if Ron knew the meaning of that word, lol

I think Lewis will start up to show what he can do now, he's had a not so good start of the season, but he will fight face to face vs kimi, that's for sure.

Regarding Alonso's future;

I only see two possible answers,

1) would be going to ferrari, no matter what Luca says about damaging their own team (which is true), but who knows what are his ideas for next season....I think there is a 50% probability to see Alonso in Massa's seat for next season, no matter what contracts he has etc....

2) Stay in Renault, keep improving the car, and re-design the car....make the R29 a winner car, or at least in the top 4....I'm sure will see at least a podium or two in the last GP's this season....in 2009, if Alonso stays in Renault, I'm sure he will have a car at the same of Ferrari/Mclaren and Bmw.....

Cant wait to see this weekends GP, already going to meet with some friends to see the race.....Lets see what Renault can do now, if they have improved, or they keep with their flinstones car

In the 'Punter' section of today's City AM, I quote "... from a gambling point of view it's as well to leave unpredictable little Lewis alone".

www.cityam.com

How the mighty are fallen! The rookie who had so many consecutive podiums last year is no longer the darling of the British newspapers. At least, let me put it this way, he is the story (because of his wealth, the girls etc), not because of his achievements. Or at least, his lack of achievement has been the main story

By the way, City AM is a really great little read. It's a free newspaper that concentrates on financial & business news and (for city banker types) luxury travel, overseas property investment, gadgets, cars, sports etc etc. I stopped reading the FT - it's that good!

The article praises BMW Sauber F1 and tips Kubica as one to watch. Kubica is 6/1 to be on pole position and 2/1 to be on the podium.

Odds to win (Ladbrokes):

Raikkonen 6/4
    Massa 9/4
    Hamilton 4/1
    Kubica 12/1
    Kovalainen 14/1
    Heidfeld 14/1
    Alonso 25/1
    Trulli 50/1
    Rosberg 50/1
    Webber 80/1
    Coulthard 100/1
    Button 100/1
    Nakajima 150/1
    Barrichello 150/1
    Glock 150/1
    Piquet Jnr 200/1
    Bourdais 200/1
    Vettel 200/1
    Sutil 300/1
    Fisichella 300/1
    Davidson 2000/1
    Sato 2000/1

These odds confirm what I was saying earlier about how the Kubica vs Heidfeld contest is perceived.

Kubica at 12 to 1 is a worthwhile wager...

Starting grid:
    1.Kimi
    2.Alonso

ALL I CAN SAY RIGHT NOW IS....................

F E R N A N D O

A L O N S O !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...is very fast with 10L of fuel in his tank.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:

relax, will see tomorrow !!!! , may be it was 11L...

But who the hell in the whole grid of pilots, would evolve such a flinstones car, and put it right up where is in today's quali......just tell me one single pilot right now that is able to do such a thing.....besides schumi !!

what he did today is just historic, and what he is going to do tomorrow is probably too.....Dont anticipate things, he could probably be soft in fuel, but what is strategy for???, either way, nobody knows it untill tomorrow !!!....

Again an historic day, no matter what some people keep trying to say......

Again.....

F E R N A N D O........A L O N S O !!!!!

btw, why Mclaren is achieving such results in this season????.....do I have to answer ???

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    805751 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    449121 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266761 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90303 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6970 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886711 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    835424 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM