Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Mission E...the future of Porsche?

Tea-con? What are they smoking these days over there? All the cool cars hindered by MT transmissions, all the engines replacement debacles and this name? Maybe too much diesel fumes? angry

I am just the messenger. Fucking Porsche is weird lately 

--

I can only be a messenger with a gag order.

i told them it was a STUPID name. But oh well. 

It ties in to the ‘Mac-con’

--

I think the name is pronounced Tie con, with emphasis on the first syllable. I think the name is quite unusual, but certainly not awful. Different strokes for different folks. 

Here's the Porsche official pronunciation.....

https://hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/videos/taycan-pronunciation-1528489485.mp4

--

2016 Porsche 991 Carrera GTS  Black with AeroKit Cup Package,  2017 Porsche Cayenne Platinum  Purpurite Metallic, New York

Ferrari has no problem using Italian names, why can’t Porsche use an appropriate  German name?  At least that way there would be a correct pronunciation.  

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Ferrari does use some Italian names, but uses others as well. The Daytona, the California names come to mind.

Whoopsy:

I am just the messenger. Fucking Porsche is weird lately 

Yes, and I get the impression the "weirdness" starts at the top. Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBADJfA5Bo4

You know that marketing have dropped a clanger when the pronunciation of a model name has to be demonstrated. We all know it is a ".... can" but the big debate is whether it is of the Thai or Tea variety or just the straightforward Neeson version yes smiley

Thai can.JPG

So which is it? The sound clip posted here clearly pronounce it "Tie-Caan". But some posters say "Tiecon"?

Make more sense to have it pronounced with an "a" at the end like the Macan. Otherwise, why didn't they name it Taycon Smiley

They simply should have called it Porsche 9-E-leven smiley

Would "Pferd" sound better than Taycan?  smiley

Model Numbers with added designatory letters are more suited to Porsche than names IMO.

Besides "Carrera" and "Targa" I cannot think of an attractive name in Porsche's vocabulary.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

reginos:

Model Numbers with added designatory letters are more suited to Porsche than names IMO.

Besides "Carrera" and "Targa" I cannot think of an attractive name in Porsche's vocabulary.

Call me nuts, but I really think „Porsche Ferdinand“ would have been a great name. At least this car is supposed to be nothing less than something like the reinvention of Porsche, so why not give it the prestigiuos name of the Porsche founder? Smiley

Just imagine: I got the latest and greatest from Porsche, such a revelation! It sits right in my garage now, next to one of the all time great of the old world, my Ferdie next to my Enzo. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

SmileyRossi:
    reginos:

Call me nuts, but I really think „Porsche Ferdinand“ would have been a great name. At least this car is supposed to be nothing less than something like the reinvention of Porsche, so why not give it the prestigiuos name of the Porsche founder? Smiley

Just imagine: I got the latest and greatest from Porsche, such a revelation! It sits right in my garage now, next to one of the all time great of the old world, my Ferdie next to my Enzo. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Smiley

lukestern:

They simply should have called it Porsche 9-E-leven smiley

Smiley Smiley

In all seriousness, Porsche "E-leven" would of been better than Taycan Smiley  ... I know we will get used to by force in time but that doesn't mean its OK, if you need time to get desensitized to it then its not a good name.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

SciFrog:

That’s the rumor. But it doesn’t make sense for many reasons especially in the USA as I’ve said it many time before:

1) since it would perform better than a $150k Panamera turbo and be cooler (EV), it would destroy Panamera sales, and Cayenne at the edge also

2) at that price it makes Tesla S really really expensive, it even reaches the price of a high spec model 3. Actually it makes the entire Tesla brand completely irrelevant

3) take my example, I would totally buy a nicely specced “Taycan” for $90k just for kicks, or its Macan EV equivalent. At these prices it is simply too cheap to pass on and a worthy addition to any stable. Also for a while at least, if the final car is close to the concept, it will have that exclusive cool exotic factor that other very exclusive brands have and that IMHO Porsche lacks except for the 918.

4) Porsche has the highest margins of mass car manufacturers. If you think they will come out with a car that the market tells them is too cheap, they won’t (GT4 lesson learned).

5) handling satill needs to be determined, but if Porsche works its magic it has with the heavy Panamera Macan and Cayenne, added to the advantageous law of phisycs of EV cars (lower center of gravity), it could outcless everything else int he sedan category, all for $85k ???

All these have only one logical conclusion: the final price of the car you would buy will by much much higher, at least Tesla P100D level ie $130k.

To clarify some things about Taycan:

- first Taycan isn´t in the class of Panamera. Porsche have model categories and Taycan is ONE below Panamera. Starting price will be around 70.000€

- Taycan isn´t nearly as large a Panamera
    ---> Panamera is 7, S-class
    ---> Taycan is even smaller then C-class inside -> someone who needs a Tesla S can´t take Taycan -> to small

- Taycan is more then 2+2 seater - the rear seats fits people below 1.84 cm - with 1.85 you couldn´t sit their comfortable - your head reaches the roof.  Taycan is shaped massive and below it has the battery package - so it has not so much height inside at the rear seats

- Taycan has a small trunk at rear and a very small at the front

- Taycan will start in 4 models: base (2wd), 4s, turbo and turbo s (all 4wd)

- turbo s has 600 hp, base 350 hp????

--

AM

I don't think a Taycon Turbo S would be able to keep up with the rocket thrusters Elon is promising  

The Panamera used to seat 4 and has limited luggage space. Maybe the Taycan will be smaller but at that point does it even matter? Plus the Taycan might have a front trunk. People will totally cross shop a Tayvan and a Panamera. Who needs to seat 4 adults in a Panamera?

Before my current Panamera Turbo, I had to turbo Cayennes. The Cayennes were perfect for the lifestyle I was enjoying at the time, with a need for family luggage space and all sorts of tennis and other gear.  But now, my lifestyle has changed a bit with my children off to colleges or other cities, and my Panamera is far more personal and suited for what I do now. When I think back on my Cayennes, I think of large cars. This Panamera is absolutely perfect as a more personal car that drives beautifully, is extremely powerful, and does not have the space limitations of a 911. Also, just as importantly, it can very easily carry four adults, and is even more comfortable in the back than the previous Cayennes. I could not be more pleased. Having said all of this however I am very intrigued by the idea of a Taycan, which will be a very personal but also a very unique car. I’m looking forward to considering it when it finally comes out.jp

SciFrog:

The Panamera used to seat 4 and has limited luggage space. Maybe the Taycan will be smaller but at that point does it even matter? Plus the Taycan might have a front trunk. People will totally cross shop a Tayvan and a Panamera. Who needs to seat 4 adults in a Panamera?

no need for any car to seat 4 people - who needs this? The same applies to MB - who needs A, B, C, E, S class - people are cross shopping between C and S class the same applies to 3- and 7- alle the same.

--

AM

ALDO:
    SciFrog:

no need for any car to seat 4 people - who needs this? The same applies to MB - who needs A, B, C, E, S class - people are cross shopping between C and S class the same applies to 3- and 7- alle the same.

Macan Turbo is the answer Smiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Macan Turbo Cabrio indecision

--

With the 4.0 GT3 engine indecision

Or EV... bring it on smiley 

SciFrog:

Or EV... bring it on smiley 

Smiley Smiley

--

ALDO:

- first Taycan isn´t in the class of Panamera. Porsche have model categories and Taycan is ONE below Panamera. Starting price will be around 70.000€

---> Taycan is even smaller then C-class inside -> someone who needs a Tesla S can´t take Taycan -> to small

- Taycan is more then 2+2 seater - the rear seats fits people below 1.84 cm - with 1.85 you couldn´t sit their comfortable - your head reaches the roof.  Taycan is shaped massive and below it has the battery package - so it has not so much height inside at the rear seats

Thanks for the clarifications. Its not clear to me then which segment they are trying to fill. Why have all that range but then only have a small trunk(s) and a small rear segment which would then not necessarily be comfortable for a long range journey Smiley.  Also what is the point of grandfathering over Turbo naming principles if it has no turbos in it Smiley. Having said all of that I am really looking forward to it and plan for it to be my first EV assuming it handles like a Porsche should.

Missed than one, Taycan turbo mailangryheart

Itsme:
    SmileyRossi:
    reginos:

--

Smiley

Ferdinand Porsche made the Lohner-Porsche in 1900 with electric hub mounted motors. A great innovation at the time.

"Lohner" would have been an appropriate name for the new car.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

crayphile:
    ALDO:

Thanks for the clarifications. Its not clear to me then which segment they are trying to fill. Why have all that range but then only have a small trunk(s) and a small rear segment which would then not necessarily be comfortable for a long range journey Smiley.  Also what is the point of grandfathering over Turbo naming principles if it has no turbos in it Smiley. Having said all of that I am really looking forward to it and plan for it to be my first EV assuming it handles like a Porsche should.

All that range? There are two ranges. One for the base model (500 km) and one for the high power mode (less)l. 

The car is very nice shaped (it was still camouflaged) and has a low roofline combined with the batteries inside the floor. That is the reason why it has not so much room inside at the rear seats. 

A little bit silly with the turbo.

--

AM

Ridiculous name. Hope nice car

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689613 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409256 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255761 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235002 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65525 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858011 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774066 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM