Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Will Porsche respond to the GTR?

Watch this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1bvT69W_V4

Only a fool would belive in this Nissan Gorilla marketing...

Quote:
    WAY said:Yeah but if driving experience and fun is all we are after then why aren't we all buying a Lotus Exige or better still even an Arial Atom?

same reason, taken to the extreme, that we aren't all riding sportbikes..

Because the Arial, Radical, and even the Exige etc. class of cars are not were near as versatile, safe, built, confortable, practical etc as "standard" sportcars (911, R8, GTR, M3, EVO, etc), so they are hardly comparable. For example, I'd take an M3 over an RS4 any day of the week.

Quote:
    KresoF1 said:
    Watch this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1bvT69W_V4

Only a fool would belive in this Nissan Gorilla marketing...

That was funny its like the WWE but of sportcars

I think the reason they were all stepping to the side to let the GTR pass is because the other cars thouht the ulgliness of the GTR was contagious...j/k

Kreso1, my comments were not meant to be negative about you. I believe you know that I hold your posts in the highest regard. They are very informative and worth reading.

Instead my note, (tongue in cheek cultural differences ) was designed to get you to hold back on your judgment regarding the GT-R. To my knowledge, this is the first time you have gone after a car to the extent you have. Generally, you do find some positives. For some reason, the GT-R really upsets you so I am trying to right the ship.

Thus, I attribute it to a bias in favor of Porsche though I am aware you do not own one. Make no mistake, I hold you in the highest esteem but now and then you and I will disagree.

Nick,

I am No.2 at my local Nissan dealer for GT-R. They do not except any deposits since NO offical EU specs yet. I already decided that I will buy this car just to see for myself is it that good or not...

Just few items that my local Nissan Importer found out in our correspodence... NO GT-Rs with Navi option till September 2009 so, they said to me that either skip Navi or wait till November 2009...

I am currently in the mood to say Goodbye to GT-R for all times!

GT-R did not upset me at all. I just do not belive to Nissan's claims...

Quote:
    eclou said:
    Fritz,

the quote is from the GTR forums. They are now realizing that orders are not going to start being filled until late 08 or early 09.

No one wants to comment on the Autoweek article stating the GTR is less satisfying to drive than the IS-F? That the GTR was felt to make the driver only a secondary component of the driving experience?

A couple of points.

Much of the article is subjective except for the FACT that the GT-R is faster.

If the Japaese correspondent felt that way about the GT-R, how do you think he would rate the Lexus against the 997TT? Most reviewers have found the TT pretty boring in driving excitement.

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Having said all that, some information has come to light from that Motor article. It is claimed by the guy who personally imported the car that in Japan, the GT-R actually requires a service after each time you track it. And it cost $1000 each time! And after 100,000km, it requires an engine strip down for the recoating of some plasma. This is one expensive car to keep, which is one thing that puts me off it...

Do you believe this? There is no way that Nissan could sell a car with that type of maintenance cost as a result of a day at the track. Do you know of another car that had that requirement?

This is just another sad rumor (probably started by Porsche )

Nick,

these "rumors" are coming from the engineers directly responsible for the project. Quite a few juicy quotes on the GTR forums regarding this. The "Superior Nissan engineering" will yield a car that depreciates with mileage worse than any exotic.

Quote:
    eclou said:
    Nick,

these "rumors" are coming from the engineers directly responsible for the project. Quite a few juicy quotes on the GTR forums regarding this. The "Superior Nissan engineering" will yield a car that depreciates with mileage worse than any exotic.

you don't understand, its all a conspiracy by Walter Rohrl, you are all so blind! can't you seee it?!

Quote:
    Moogle said:... but I wonder why people refuse to accept that the GT-R is faster and technologically more advanced?

The "people" you are referring to are emotionally attached to a brand and are unable to consider any other. This happens in this forum or any other sports car forum Ferrari, Vette, others... I think I was one of those "people" at some point in the past, but fortunately, and I should say it took some work, I changed.

All sports cars forums are in denial re the GT-R, but it does not matter. If, as it appears to be the case, the GT-R moves the target forward... that is great for all sports cars fans as it puts pressure on competing manufacturers to do better.

Guys, why talk so much about it?

If you buy your car for street racing I believe the GT-R or a Turbo RUF are great choices (or even a modified Mitsubishi Evo). If you have different requirements from your car than that, you go and buy someting else. It's so simple.

For instance, I hate most than anything, cars heavier than 1500kg, turbos or AWD. So I really don't care about how great a car is if it's heavier than 1500kg or it has turbos.

And for those of you who thinks I am biased to a brand, think again. I never bought a 911 Turbo because of what I stated above. Or a 599 GTB. Or an Aston. Or a Murci. And the list may go on. I rather have fun in a GT3 or a Lotus Elise or a Scuderia than tying to steer and brake a pig like those. So what they are more powerful and they are faster on the road? First of all you guys all talk like you are ready to race on a public road with a GT-R!!! I think that's nuts. Do you really believe that is a good idea for someone who's driving a very expensive car to enter in a street race with GT-R or a moddified Evo? I believe that's the wrong message to promote.

Stop comparing apples and oranges. They are both great fruits. To each it's own. Enjoy them all in good health.

Quote:
    eclou said:
    Fritz,
    the quote is from the GTR forums. They are now realizing that orders are not going to start being filled until late 08 or early 09.

Thanks for that. The letter obviously went out to customers of Nissan's prime-site showroom in Tokyo's Ginzha district .
    Quote:
    eclou said:
    No one wants to comment on the Autoweek article stating the GTR is less satisfying to drive than the IS-F?

I wasn't going to comment on it because I've never thought of Autoweek as being a sportscar enthusiasts' magazine, so AW's opinions on driver satisfaction might not be in line with my own anyway and would then not be very relevant.

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    1,000 bucks after each trackday ? LoL - would blow up my trackday budget into another sphere

Hi P-J,
    When I commented above on 1.000 buck services after "tracking" a car, I assumed that the Australian owner referred to (who had personally imported a GTR from Japan) was involved in tracking a car on a more intensive basis (for instance, club racing) than what you have in mind. I may have misunderstood the situation.

US$ 1000 "services" per amateur trackday would otherwise be rather costly by most people's standards.

Racing the Nissan GT-R: In Any Other Car, You'd Be Dead Now

http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2008-04/racing-nissan-gt-r-any-other-car-youd-be-dead-now

Who would rather be dead than be seen in a GTR?

Thanks for clarifying, fritz But Club Racing with such a heavy Aotobahn-Bomber... Personally I'm with Pentium re weight/turbo/AWD (I'd add DSG also), but I have respect for the engineering efforts put into such cars. But: different strokes for different blokes or "Jeder Jeck ist anders" as we use to say in the Rhineland

A report from a Rennlist tracker:

''I drove the GTR on track earlier in the week (posted but it went unnoticed in the storm) there is plenty of driver involvement with the stability control set to 'R'. The steering is nuanced and the chassis will rotate if you push it deep though it tends to prefer lots of understeer but that can be driven through as well.

Like most ultra-fast cars, however, it was more fun on track than public roads. To me it's a supercar and a GT but not a sports car so much. Amazing machine nonetheless.''

((Yawn))

I HOPE someone brings one to the track this season! This is one C6Z driver that will give it a run for the money, and I will surely reply with an absolutel honest evaluation.

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    ((Yawn))

This whole post makes me Yawn. I looked at the GT-Rs performance - it's geared to go to 60. By 100 mph the 997Turbo eats it alive and so does the Z06. It reminds me of the WRX STi in that it gets off the line and then stumbles after 100. Double Yawn! Lot's of hype, but it's a heavy pig. Comparing it to the Gt3 may be better.
    I will keep my 997S for years to come without regret.

Umm Leawood, it has been shown quite a few times by various magazines that the GTR is faster than the GT3 on the track...

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Umm Leawood, it has been shown quite a few times by various magazines that the GTR is faster than the GT3 on the track...

For how long? You can mask the weight with electronics, but you can't beat physics and those brakes and tyres will get cooked after several hot laps.

Quote:
    WAY said:

It should be, it's got over 100 more HP.

Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    Quote:
    WAY said:

Exactly, not becuase it handles better but because it makes it up in straight line acceleration, point-and-shoot, just like a SL55AMG can be faster than some 911's in some tracks, but which would you like to drive at the track? or mountain road?

Quote:
    Leawood911 said:
    This whole post makes me Yawn. I looked at the GT-Rs performance - it's geared to go to 60. By 100 mph the 997Turbo eats it alive and so does the Z06. It reminds me of the WRX STi in that it gets off the line and then stumbles after 100. Double Yawn! Lot's of hype, but it's a heavy pig. Comparing it to the Gt3 may be better.
    I will keep my 997S for years to come without regret.

What does the 997S has to do with the TT and GT3? The three are different cars for different uses.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    Quote:
    WAY said:

Exactly, not becuase it handles better but because it makes it up in straight line acceleration, point-and-shoot, just like a SL55AMG can be faster than some 911's in some tracks, but which would you like to drive at the track? or mountain road?

Carlos, those that have driven the car claim it is a better HANDLING than a Porsche. These arguments are becoming borderline silly. When the Z06 kicked the 911 butt in acceleration Porsche owners claimed that Porsche is not about acceleration but track performance. Now that the GT-R kicks the 911 butt in track performance we are told it is all about acceleration. My god have you guy's no shame.

Finally, Leawood you have always came across as knowledgeable about performance. Yet your comments above make absolutely no sense. You may want to stick with your 997S dog but just run and hide when you see a GT-R. The results will not be pretty. Be sure to carry a roll of toilet paper. You will need it if you engage the GT-R.

The TT is still a good all rounder, but it is getting cornered more and more with each newcomer...

Quote:
    nberry said:

Carlos, those that have driven the car claim it is a better HANDLING than a Porsche. These arguments are becoming borderline silly. When the Z06 kicked the 911 butt in acceleration Porsche owners claimed that Porsche is not about acceleration but track performance. Now that the GT-R kicks the 911 butt in track performance we are told it is all about acceleration. My god have you guy's no shame.

Finally, Leawood you have always came across as knowledgeable about performance. Yet your comments above make absolutely no sense. You may want to stick with your 997S dog but just run and hide when you see a GT-R. The results will not be pretty. Be sure to carry a roll of toilet paper. You will need it if you engage the GT-R.

If the Nissan made 473 HP it wouldn't beat the TT. Period. They had to bump the HP after the fact to get the results they wanted. You are so rabidly anti-Porsche that the facts don't seem to matter to you. I glad Nissan has introduced a car that could put some pressure on Porsche to make a better car. However, I really resent the snow job they used to do it. A lot of people, myself included, knew the fix was in when the numbers came out... weight + HP figures didn't jibe with the performance figures. Don't feel badly because you bought what they were selling.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    WAY said:

For how long? You can mask the weight with electronics, but you can't beat physics and those brakes and tyres will get cooked after several hot laps.

Apparently not.

No brake fade after 20 hot laps at Miller Motorsports Park.. Same laptime as the Ford GT: Scroll down and check the video at about 59 seconds

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightlin...anGT-RRoadTrip

According to all the tests so far, the GTR is faster around corners (and tracks )than both the GT3 and Turbo. Faster in the quarter mile than the GT3. About the same as the Turbo to 200 km/h and slower than the Turbo from 200 to 300 km/h.

But it is still an overweight Nissan with a few undeclared horses.

I have to admit the Japanese are fanatical about squeezing every last bit of capacity out of their systems. This however is not the philosophy for everyone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9nnXw_6WQs

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 3:43 AM
    rhino
    802663 1804
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448385 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265925 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89928 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6401 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885352 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832182 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM