Crown

Board: Lamborghini Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Lamborghini Huracan Performante Spyder (2018)

Atmospheric V10 high reving engine, with a sound its turbocharged rivals can't even dream of, in opentop form to enjoy it even more, and plenty emotional compared to other cars more worried on straighline performance... shame its a rare breed in the extinction list.

That said a "wing delete" version would be even better...

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Without the wing it wouldn’t have ATA and hence the performance. 

--

Tesla Model S P100D & Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2017 Sept 991.2 GT3 ordered. 2020 Porsche Mission E on order

EnglishManInNY:

Without the wing it wouldn’t have ATA and hence the performance. 

Yeah, but I don't have any trust that ALA is effective at all without the roof as the aerodynamics are all screwed up and doubt they can get any consistent flow over the open cabin into the wing for it to work, and even if they broke the laws of physics and ALA worked like on the coupe, I'd be happy to give up the ALA and not have that awful wing sticking up like that in a spyder, looks ridiculous imo.

--

The regular spider is probably more than enough...

SciFrog:

The regular spider is probably more than enough...

Maybe but it doesn't have the sound and the look.

I was actually sure that huge rear wing would be a no go for my wife and when I saw the car for the very first time, I said to myself "WTF, Lamborghini" but it actually works for the car, believe it or not.

Surprisingly, I got thumbs up from many people. In the beginning, I was afraid the sound would rather make people give me the middle finger.

What can I say, I fell in love with the car, no wonder my buddy did already over 2000 km with it (comparison: it took him 6 months to achieve this with his Aventador SV).

My wife wants a Performante Spyder for her...the first time I heard her say she really wants a car. Of course she couldn't care less how this car drives or sounds, she likes how she looks in it/next to it. 😂

The moment I have the money, I will get this car. Could take a couple of years 😧😜 but this is definitely my favorite.

Especially for speed limited countries, nothing "more" makes sense. This car is fun in the 2000-3000 rpm range. 👍😎

B18F4396-9E2B-4A0A-A06C-E1611438514C.jpeg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

Seems to be a nice toy.  kisskiss  I like the color...blush

Enjoy it. Perfect weather this weekend. 

--

Conny997:

Seems to be a nice toy.  kisskiss  I like the color...blush

Enjoy it Perfect weather this weekend. 

Smiley 

Three Performante delivered in this color combo at the same dealer, apparently market introduction cars in Germany. I love it.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:

The moment I have the money, I will get this car. Could take a couple of years 😧😜 but this is definitely my favorite.

--

I would be lying if I said I didn't know this was going to happen the day you posted you were getting to drive it for the weekend Smiley 

... if you can deal with the attention it brings I think you will love this car, and such cars are not going to be around for long given the stupid road legislation is going regarding sportscars.

--

RC:
    Three Performante delivered in this color combo at the same dealer, apparently market introduction cars in Germany. I love it.

Is it Rosso Mars?

crayphile:
    RC:

Is it Rosso Mars?

It does look like Rosso Mars. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

crayphile:
    RC:

Is it Rosso Mars?

I don't have a clue, will ask. It looks very nice though. I saw the car together with my buddy when it arrived at the dealer (posted a couple of pics here on Rennteam) and it was still a bit dirty, has some wrap on it and whatnot, so the color wasn't really looking nice. When I saw the car clean for the first time, I was like "wow...this looks nice".

Regarding the attention this car attracts: A lot of attention. Got mostly thumbs up, everybody seemed to like it. Saw in the rear view mirror that almost everyone driving behind me was smiling and "looking".

I think the Performance Spyder is so extreme that it is already too special to hate it or to be jealous. Smiley

My wife sent me today to go to the Lambo dealer to get a quote but of course I told her: Impossible. Smiley So I didn't. I cannot afford such a car right now and I really would love to buy it. Smiley 

Please, whoever has the chance to drive this car, please do so. You'll be surprised how good it sounds (even at 2000-3000 rpm in Sport mode...INSANE...) and how planted and direct it feels. The car is stiff (much stiffer than my R8), the steering is even more direct (my R8 steering feels a bit "lighter") and the whole thing just screams supercar. I love it. So sad I cannot get one. Smiley My buddy will let me drive it again from time to time (I only drove slightly over 400 km in it because I was mostly driving through the city and on country roads) but I guess this will make things even harder for me. Smiley

I love this thing more than the Aventador SV he owns and apparently he thinks the same. 

--

Carlos from Spain:
    RC:

--

I would be lying if I said I didn't know this was going to happen the day you posted you were getting to drive it for the weekend Smiley 

... if you can deal with the attention it brings I think you will love this car, and such cars are not going to be around for long given the stupid road legislation is going regarding sportscars.

Oh boy, Carlos...never drive this thing, you're going to get addicted. This is just another level up from my R8, amazing. This is the V10 car to have. There is no substitute.

I am curious how Lamborghini will deal with the particulate filter issue this autumn and how this will affect sound and power. I hope they do not stop making the Performante, this would be a pity.

--

RC:
    I love this thing more than the Aventador SV he owns and apparently he thinks the same. 

It is certainly a far better car then the SV to drive - not least because of the gearbox. The steering still leaves me cold  - not enough feel. The brakes are fantastic as you have no doubt noticed. In Sport mode there are a lot of unnecessary pops and crackles on the downshift. The engine and exhaust sound so good anyway, I don't see the need for this extra "drama".

crayphile:
    RC:

It is certainly a far better car then the SV to drive - not least because of the gearbox. The steering still leaves me cold  - not enough feel. The brakes are fantastic as you have no doubt noticed. In Sport mode there are a lot of unnecessary pops and crackles on the downshift. The engine and exhaust sound so good anyway, I don't see the need for this extra "drama".

Have you driven the Performante Spyder? I had the feeling that they changed something with the steering... Maybe I'm wrong, I switched directly from my R8 and maybe I got a false feel for the steering.

Maybe there is no need for this extra "drama" but oh boy does it sound good. Smiley Smiley

--

More photos... (click on each photo for higher quality)

hura1.jpg
    hura3.jpg
    hura2.jpg
    hura5.jpg
    hura4.jpg

--

side and top view is actually not bad looking at all kiss

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 manual, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

I sat in the coupe and hated it. The SA asked if I wanted to test drive it and I told him no. The rakish windshield, the seats and overall ergonomics of the interior left me cold. Also, I’m not that enthusiastic about its look.

--

Where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be great.

RC:

Have you driven the Performante Spyder? I had the feeling that they changed something with the steering... Maybe I'm wrong, I switched directly from my R8 and maybe I got a false feel for the steering.

To be fair my comments come from my Coupe, so maybe they have improved it in the Spyder.

nberry:

Also, I’m not that enthusiastic about its look.

These things are so personal as we always discuss. However, I think you are in a tiny minority on this occasion Smiley. I don't know anyone who does not like the looks of the Performante whether they are a Lambo lover or not.

Agree, I'm not a Lamborghini lover but you have to give it to them the Performante does look good.

--

good he chose the comfy seats ! kiss

crayphile:
    nberry:

These things are so personal as we always discuss. However, I think you are in a tiny minority on this occasion Smiley. I don't know anyone who does not like the looks of the Performante whether they are a Lambo lover or not.

Most futuristic styled cars get attention and are considered attractive by the general public. The initial drama does leave an impression. BUT as you walk around the car and seriously explore its styling, slowly the reaction becomes WTF! This may be a function of familiarity breeds contempt.Smiley

--

Where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be great.

BjoernB:

good he chose the comfy seats ! kiss

Still not the most comfortable car around, especially compared to my R8. I loved it though. Smiley

--

crayphile:
    nberry:

Smiley This car looks much better in person and the Spyder is even more special than the Coupe. The interior feels more roomy, especially when the top is open. My wife noticed that immediately, one of the reasons she loves this car so much (she offered to pay half of the lease if I order one but still, not going to happen right now).

I may be biased though, the seating position and view is quite similar to the R8 with one exception though: I couldn't see the front hood, not even a bit of it, at all and I was already sitting quite high.

Also, the whole entertainment/navigation system is a bit messy (GUI), not as good as on the R8. Same goes to sound, not really great but in such a car, this doesn't really matter. Smiley

I got pretty easily (and fast) used to the turning signal activation on the steering wheel, actually quite practical I have to say. The shifting was more instantaneously than in my R8, not by much but noticeable. Since my R8 has the same shifting feel/speed as the normal Huracan, I assume Lamborghini improved the Performante shifting. Couldn't believe it is actually possible. Impressive.

--

Had an orange one driving through Yorkville (which is the I guess Rodeo Dr. or Knightsbridge of Toronto on Sat night). It sounded nice but was WAY too loud. The driver also sat and rev’d the crap out of it on every stop sign (traffic goes around 20km/h on those narrow streets filled with pedestrians). Some people took pictures but most just pointed or looked annoyed or were laughing at them. My wife looked at me (and remember she wants an AM, her dad used to be the lead sponsor for a 956/962 team at LeMans, she’s used to and likes fast cars) and said “Who the hell would date an a$$hole like that?!?”

It was a caricature of the worst of Lamborghini not seen since the worst of the Countach days.

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Mithras:

Had an orange one driving through Yorkville (which is the I guess Rodeo Dr. or Knightsbridge of Toronto on Sat night). It sounded nice but was WAY too loud. The driver also sat and rev’d the crap out of it on every stop sign (traffic goes around 20km/h on those narrow streets filled with pedestrians). Some people took pictures but most just pointed or looked annoyed or were laughing at them. My wife looked at me (and remember she wants an AM, her dad used to be the lead sponsor for a 956/962 team at LeMans, she’s used to and likes fast cars) and said “Who the hell would date an a$$hole like that?!?”

It was a caricature of the worst of Lamborghini not seen since the worst of the Countach days.

Ha - we were in the same spot 5 weeks ago, that time was 2 Aventadors doing the same.  The very definition of “posers”.  

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Hi RC - how does the Performante Spyder compare to 458/488 and Mclaren 720S ?

Thanks !

Mithras:

The Huracan Performante is not a car which should be "played" with at a stop light, it is way too loud (and too much of a visional show-off already) for that and this isn't a mature behavior at all. I would be ashamed. I always kept the revs between 2000-3000 rpm and upshifted early because, like you said it, the car is extremely loud. Actually, I would sometimes prefer to keep it in Strada mode to avoid too much attention, especially in my own neighborhood.

Maybe it is an age thing though, I don't know. Smiley

--

tony2006:

Hi RC - how does the Performante Spyder compare to 458/488 and Mclaren 720S ?

Thanks !

I didn't have the chance to drive the 720S for a longer period, I can only comment on sound, interior and maybe acceleration. The 720S is a beast, (straight line) performance-wise probably the benchmark right now in this car category, no doubt. The interior is nice but it felt a bit cramped compared to the Huracan Performante Spyder but the comparison may not be fair since the Spyder had no top and it really feels very "airy". The Coupe is a different story. I also liked the Alcantara and Forged Carbon stuff in the Huracan Performante a lot but this is a matter of personal taste I guess. A friend who saw the interior said it looked cheap. Smiley He drives a Bentley Continental sedan (Flying Spur I think), so I guess he has different priorities. Smiley Sound-wise, the Performante Spyder wins hands down, no doubt but this shouldn't come as a surprise. Throttle response is also much better, McLaren still has a turbo lag, even if many owners don't seem to be able to relate to this. I also like the looks of the Huracan better but this, again, is a matter of personal taste.

488? Best sounding V8 Biturbo in my opinion. Very nice car, performance-wise definitely at top level (maybe not at 720S level), I hated it when it came out but like it more and more, the more often I see it live. Probably the car with the least turbo lag of all Biturbos I drove, very good setup. Seems to be also very reliable, a friend has the Spider and already has over 60000 km in it without a single issue. I still like the Huracan Performante interior better though but the Ferrari interior is, like most Ferrari interiors, top notch.

458? Well, difficult now. Very nice n/a engine, no doubt, very good throttle response (of course), sound is great as well but the gearbox is, in my opinion, not at par with the latest systems (especially the improved Graziano gearbox in the Huracan Performante). 

Getting one of these cars is a very emotional thing, I think you shouldn't trust a word I'm writing, you should choose yourself based on what you like most. Drive them (if possible) and then make your decision. You will know which car you like most. Smiley

In the past, I was a sucker for "most power" and "best performance" but I changed. I enjoy the emotional part of a car much more, especially the sound and how the car feels at lower(!) speeds as well. If a car is only fun when driven hard and fast, you can't fully enjoy it in my opinion. Sad but true. I learned my lesson with my former 991.1 Turbo S.

--

Isn't legroom poor in Huracan/R8 Spyder? there's little space between the back of front seats and rear firewall?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689529 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409213 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255730 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234981 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4646 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857952 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774008 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM