Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: AWE 700hp kit installation teaser

New throttle body is significantly larger than stock

Plenum and throttle body installed. Looks completely stock

Eugene,
    I just got a quote from Mike at AWE. Your messages are really making me want this kit. I'm seriously considering it. It's the warranty thing though that's making it hard. There's a battle going on between my heart & my head. I should just give in after-all I know my heart ALWAYS wins anyway. But I guess if I am going to toss my warranty may as well GO BIG instead of throwing out the warranty for a measly 60hp, right? I'm going to put on a few k more miles, making sure that I at least give a little time for warranty stuff to show-up before making the leap but after that maybe I'll have one of the fastest convertibles on the planet.

ps: 712HP for this kit right? What is the ft/lbs?

The last dyno I saw indicated 680ish ft/lbs at the flywheel. I have spun the tires in 4th gear. I don't think you will regret going this way Stradale!!

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Eugene,
    I just got a quote from Mike at AWE. Your messages are really making me want this kit. I'm seriously considering it. It's the warranty thing though that's making it hard. There's a battle going on between my heart & my head. I should just give in after-all I know my heart ALWAYS wins anyway. But I guess if I am going to toss my warranty may as well GO BIG instead of throwing out the warranty for a measly 60hp, right? I'm going to put on a few k more miles, making sure that I at least give a little time for warranty stuff to show-up before making the leap but after that maybe I'll have one of the fastest convertibles on the planet.

ps: 712HP for this kit right? What is the ft/lbs?

Warranty, Schmorranty.

Go for it Greg!

Al

**MIND BOGGLING**!!

Quote:
    eclou said:
    .... I have spun the tires in 4th gear ...

Since there has been quite a lot of talk on here about people gaining "education" about various tuning kits and being pushed in certain directions by reading of other Rennteamers experiences, I feel a little obliged to point out that whatever chassis dyno numbers AWE may obtain for their "700" kit, the performance indicates that the kit has the performance of a Ruf/RS 580hp/800NM offering.

I know a lot of guys like the big numbers and good for you, it is fun but for clarity one must compare like for like.
    The AWE kit does seem to offer great value for the performance which Eclou has gracefully logged and shared for all to see

Toby brings a good point that all the dyno #'s are subjective and cannot be considered absolute #'s. Logged performance at sustained loads is the ultimate indicator - aka proof is in the pudding! That being said, the AWE kit on the 997 has exceeded 2 of RUF's top cars that the Texas Mile - the 996 based Ruf R Turbo 590 only turned 181mph and the RT12 650 AWD turned only 183.7mph at the past Texas Mile events.. Also, a CGT tuned to 594 rwhp turned 185.5mph here Just another data point to consider

Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Since there has been quite a lot of talk on here about people gaining "education" about various tuning kits and being pushed in certain directions by reading of other Rennteamers experiences, I feel a little obliged to point out that whatever chassis dyno numbers AWE may obtain for their "700" kit, the performance indicates that the kit has the performance of a Ruf/RS 580hp/800NM offering.

I know a lot of guys like the big numbers and good for you, it is fun but for clarity one must compare like for like.
    The AWE kit does seem to offer great value for the performance which Eclou has gracefully logged and shared for all to see

If Gene's car has already outerformed the RUF 650kit under 15mph headwinds than why would you compare it more to Ruf's 580 kit? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm asking because I'm only beginning to look into the possibility of doing a kit & I havent done my DD yet.

"like for like" would be same as in same TX weather conditions where the AWE outperformed (even given a 4.1 0-60 AWE launch w/ PSM on & 15mph headwinds) wouldnt it? Or am I missing something? Obviously head to head would be best.

I also really like the idea that I can drive to AWE & have them do all the work unlike Gene I am not confident in my abilities to work on my high end sports car. Although I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night and installed my own smart-top module! Yahoo!

But seriously that AWE kit really seems to kick ass. What else is comparable? What would you do? It's sunny out, I'm going for a drive!!!!!

Cargraphic /RST 598hp kit has been tested on a full weight 997tt at 0-300kph in 26s and the 645hp version did it in 23s

This would be "my" benchmark for Porsche engine dyno hp. The 544 kit's 0-300 time will be revealed in Sport Auto next week I believe.

I have no real answer to the RT12s lack of performance other than it should be quite a lot faster than the Ruf 590 - as you say head to head is really the only way but the RT12 has been tested accurately by SA (two people, two way run average run) at 24.8s so maybe there was a problem with the Texas car or maybe the conditions really were that harsh and the AWE package does have nearer 650hp ?

I have requested some more numbers from Eclou - data from a blast 60-160 (in more stable, friendly conditions) would probably reveal a lot more - but for obvious reasons it may take him some time to find a suitable "venue"

One can't argue with the value for performance of this kit for the raw performance numbers - and in your shoes I would probably pull the trigger....

There is another aspect which people rarely quanitify since it is very difficult to measure and is so subjective. I am talking about the throttle response.
    Throttle response seems to be a huge part of what makes RS engines the best and seems to be achieved through the mapping done on their engine dyno, it brings all the other matched components together in a way which really enhances the driving experience.
    I was discussing with the owner or a 6XXhp chassis dyno tuned 997tt whose car was fast (0-300 ~26s) and he mentioned how the tuner may be able to improve on his throttle response/laggyness - this really got me thinking about it because, driving RS engines for many years I sort of got used to this aspect but my hunch is that the majority of other tuners cannot fine tune so accurately as to really make 100% best in this area and I was thinking just what sort of results can GIAC achieve using the "limited" tools at their disposal....

We had a discussion on Rennlist a while back and I ended up datalogging a run which was a rolling start 5mph zero throttle then nailing the throttle - it was quite surprising that the results were quite a lot better than others, I have posted the graph below.
    Now in my 993tt's case it is also to do with higher C:R and 3.8l but this "feature" is what RS always work towards, I guess it is borne from racing where getting the torque back online ASAP after a corner wins races.

This is one aspect of the Carrera GT which makes it so much faster in real use than say the 997GT2, punch the throttle of the CGT and GT2 together and the CGT will leap out a 4 car lead which is very hard to recover.
    Checkout the short vid below, this was CGT vs RT12 - the RT12 surges past at the end at 208mph but check out the CGT leaping ahead:
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ae2PAOMBSZ8

It would be great to devise some test we could do which could show the throttle response so we could gauge it with some objectivity. I'm going to give this one some thought...

Checking some more data I found that the RT12 has done 0-300 in 24.8 s per AutoBild Sportscars in Europe, but Road & Track did a best 0-300 of 27.5 s in a test in the US, with a 1 mile speed of 187mph. That is another example of significant discrepancy in the same model car between tests.

Quote:
    eclou said:
    Checking some more data I found that the RT12 has done 0-300 in 24.8 s per AutoBild Sportscars in Europe, but Road & Track did a best 0-300 of 27.5 s in a test in the US, with a 1 mile speed of 187mph. That is another example of significant discrepancy in the same model car between tests.

[/image]

I think those differentials are down to gearing - one of the guys on here seemed to know about that....
    The 27.5s test car would have achieved 188mph by 1609m - still you are right not far ahead of your car. I am looking forward to the CG 544 data, I hope they give distances

BTW I always thought the RT12s had over rated hp

Toby when you guys run the vmax in the UK is it on air airstrip? As I understand most airstrips are planned to run the aircraft into the wind to air in lift over the flaps. I remember you guys talking about a particular event there that saw a stiff wind also

My God eclou you did all the work yourself with your own hands? You are my hero. What a car, who would even dare coming close to your beast Don't ever sell this car

Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Cargraphic /RST 598hp kit has been tested on a full weight 997tt at 0-300kph in 26s and the 645hp version did it in 23s

This would be "my" benchmark for Porsche engine dyno hp. The 544 kit's 0-300 time will be revealed in Sport Auto next week I believe.

I have no real answer to the RT12s lack of performance other than it should be quite a lot faster than the Ruf 590 - as you say head to head is really the only way but the RT12 has been tested accurately by SA (two people, two way run average run) at 24.8s so maybe there was a problem with the Texas car or maybe the conditions really were that harsh and the AWE package does have nearer 650hp ?

I have requested some more numbers from Eclou - data from a blast 60-160 (in more stable, friendly conditions) would probably reveal a lot more - but for obvious reasons it may take him some time to find a suitable "venue"

One can't argue with the value for performance of this kit for the raw performance numbers - and in your shoes I would probably pull the trigger....

There is another aspect which people rarely quanitify since it is very difficult to measure and is so subjective. I am talking about the throttle response.
    Throttle response seems to be a huge part of what makes RS engines the best and seems to be achieved through the mapping done on their engine dyno, it brings all the other matched components together in a way which really enhances the driving experience.
    I was discussing with the owner or a 6XXhp chassis dyno tuned 997tt whose car was fast (0-300 ~26s) and he mentioned how the tuner may be able to improve on his throttle response/laggyness - this really got me thinking about it because, driving RS engines for many years I sort of got used to this aspect but my hunch is that the majority of other tuners cannot fine tune so accurately as to really make 100% best in this area and I was thinking just what sort of results can GIAC achieve using the "limited" tools at their disposal....

We had a discussion on Rennlist a while back and I ended up datalogging a run which was a rolling start 5mph zero throttle then nailing the throttle - it was quite surprising that the results were quite a lot better than others, I have posted the graph below.
    Now in my 993tt's case it is also to do with higher C:R and 3.8l but this "feature" is what RS always work towards, I guess it is borne from racing where getting the torque back online ASAP after a corner wins races.

This is one aspect of the Carrera GT which makes it so much faster in real use than say the 997GT2, punch the throttle of the CGT and GT2 together and the CGT will leap out a 4 car lead which is very hard to recover.
    Checkout the short vid below, this was CGT vs RT12 - the RT12 surges past at the end at 208mph but check out the CGT leaping ahead:

It would be great to devise some test we could do which could show the throttle response so we could gauge it with some objectivity. I'm going to give this one some thought...

Great post.
    It's interesting though that Gene outperformed a CGT that day too. I just have this gut feeling that because of conditions & Gene's wise decision to leave PSM on etc. etc. the AWE 700s does indeed make the power they claim. Looking forward to more conversation about this.

Inspired by Toby, I bring you some costly data from this morning. Conditions were 58F, no wind, concrete road (not a prepared track), very slight uphill. Ran a 60-130mph of 6.97s and 7.00 before getting nailed X2 (screw caused flat rear passenger tire, and got caught by trooper observing from the freeway). This data comes at great expense...

Quote:
    eclou said:
    Inspired by Toby, I bring you some costly data from this morning. Conditions were 58F, no wind, concrete road (not a prepared track), very slight uphill. Ran a 60-130mph of 6.97s and 7.00 before getting nailed X2 (screw caused flat rear passenger tire, and got caught by trooper observing from the freeway). This data comes at great expense...

How much did officer Farva cost you?

Sorry to hear that eugene, but great run and strong numbers. what would 100-200 be in this case?

Ask and you shall receive:

100-200kph in 6.0

And the #'s would be a touch quicker on Hennessey's track since the surface is better prepped for traction

I really hope the Trooper was kind ? That is such bad luck...... !

It seems to me that because the 997tt has fairly special aerodynamics (compared to the 996tt ie a 0.29 or 0.31 Cd depending on which of Porsche's numbers you want to believe) and the nature of its torque curve with the VTGs which would skew any hp comparison with normal turboed tts, we really have to compare its acceleration with other 997tts to make any sense.

Unfortunately for the test above every other 100-200kph which we will be able to get from the mags includes second third and fourth gear - so different gears (which may be particularly meaningful when one considers the torque charactaristics of the VTGs really helping using the longer gears ?) and an extra change,
    The 550hp RS/Ruf cars seem to do the 100-200kph in ~7.1s (CG) using 2nd 3rd and 4th.....

I am not going to ask you to do it again until you can find a more suitable test track

but a second gear start would be great and totally comparative.
    Still massively fast tho' and a 6s 100-200kph really shows how those VTGs give you huge torque from low down in 3rd - 6s is bloody fast.

I have just picked up a copy of French magazine Flat Six and they timed a new 997 GT2 100-200 - 8.08s (it also did a genuine 214mph ) so it shows just how fast 6s is

Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    The 550hp RS/Ruf cars seem to do the 100-200kph in ~7.1s (CG)

I have just picked up a copy of French magazine Flat Six and they timed a new 997 GT2 100-200 - 8.08s (it also did a genuine 214mph ) so it shows just how fast 6s is

Interesting; GT Purely Porsche managed the same 8.0s in a stock Turbo at Millbrook last summer...

[although technically 8.0s is for 96.5-193.12 kph]

I know this has been asked before but I couldn't find the price, even on AWE web site. Est of hours to get installation? Awesome performance!!

Thanks,
    Mike

Gene - Sorry about your misfortune. Your post are intoxicating and are seriously making me consider this package. I was near AWE last week and was going to stop but their car was apart.

Gregg - I feel the same way. I want to get a few miles on the car to see if there are any gremlins lurking. Maybe in a month or two we can meet at AWE, take Mike out for dinner and work on him for a better price if we both buy (or at least get a free shirt, which is more likely.

Quote:
    imcarnuts said:
    Gene - Sorry about your misfortune. Your post are intoxicating and are seriously making me consider this package. I was near AWE last week and was going to stop but their car was apart.

Gregg - I feel the same way. I want to get a few miles on the car to see if there are any gremlins lurking. Maybe in a month or two we can meet at AWE, take Mike out for dinner and work on him for a better price if we both buy (or at least get a free shirt, which is more likely.

Duffy, Absolutely. Would love to take a drive out there in a month or so when the weather could be perfect. We're thinking the same regarding miles. How many do you have now?/Would you like before trashing the warranty? I have 1500miles but would like to have at least 5000-10k. I should have the 2000mile break-in done by this weekend. If the weather wasnt so foul, it's been raining here almost everyday I would have had the break-in done much sooner. Let me know what works for you & we'll contact Mike to see what works for him. They have a Turbo w/ the 700 kit right? Is that the car that was apart?

Gene - That sucks. Sorry that happened.
    Feel like telling us what happened? What did he nail you w/ in terms of speed, etc.?

6.0! - Man! That kit is a Monster.

Quote:
    mawyatt said:
    I know this has been asked before but I couldn't find the price, even on AWE web site. Est of hours to get installation? Awesome performance!!

Thanks,
    Mike

email Mike for pricing. Here's Install hrs.

Programming - .5
    Intercooler - 5
    TB & Plenum - 2.5
    Turbos - 4
    Headers - 0
    Exhaust - 2
    Clutch & flywheel - 14

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    imcarnuts said:

Duffy, Absolutely. Would love to take a drive out there in a month or so when the weather could be perfect. We're thinking the same regarding miles. How many do you have now?/Would you like before trashing the warranty? I have 1500miles but would like to have at least 5000-10k. I should have the 2000mile break-in done by this weekend. If the weather wasnt so foul, it's been raining here almost everyday I would have had the break-in done much sooner. Let me know what works for you & we'll contact Mike to see what works for him. They have a Turbo w/ the 700 kit right? Is that the car that was apart?

Gene - That sucks. Sorry that happened.
    Feel like telling us what happened? What did he nail you w/ in terms of speed, etc.?

6.0! - Man! That kit is a Monster.

Yes - it is the 700 HP car that is "turboless." The problem is they don't have an extra set of turbos. They sent theirs to Gene and when he retuned his as a core they sent them to be rebuilt for their car. Could be a never ending problem until they get an extra set. My car only has about 600 miles on it so it is going to be awhile until I get to the point of being comfortable with doing this. After break-in I will consider doing the ECU and then in another few thousand miles the rest of the mods.

Great thread, great discussions! I have no plan whatsoever to flash the ECU (yeah right) and yet find myself addicted to these power threads. Not too surprising I think. After all, the idea of bringing this car to take-no-prisoner supercar level, with "just" a few bucks more, is perhaps one of the strongest selling points of the Turbo. I believe Eugene cited this as the main reason of his keeping the Turbo over the GT3.

Eugene, sorry to hear about your misfortune. Hope there is internet traffic class in Texas?

Very interesting post. Of all of Alex's comments about his RSC, I was most intrigued by his statement that Turbo lag is much minimized.

Obviously you've more experience and have thought about this issue a "little" more than I have, but I think measurement of throttle response would be reflected in the time it takes, after fully opening the throttle from a steady state cruise, for engine RPM or car speed to go up a small amount. So, how about measuring the time it takes for engine RPM to go from 3000 to 3500, once throttle is fully opened? For example I believe my NA 997 engine RPM goes up quite a bit faster than my Turbo, therefore/because it has better throttle response.

It's probably would be different at different RPM. But I think it would reflect how Alex's car has less Turbo lag than mine.

Quote:
    TB993tt said:

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Very interesting post. Of all of Alex's comments about his RSC, I was most intrigued by his statement that Turbo lag is much minimized.

Obviously you've more experience and have thought about this issue a "little" more than I have, but I think measurement of throttle response would be reflected in the time it takes, after fully opening the throttle from a steady state cruise, for engine RPM or car speed to go up a small amount. So, how about measuring the time it takes for engine RPM to go from 3000 to 3500, once throttle is fully opened? For example I believe my NA 997 engine RPM goes up quite a bit faster than my Turbo, therefore/because it has better throttle response.

It's probably would be different at different RPM. But I think it would reflect how Alex's car has less Turbo lag than mine.

I attempted to run some data last night on the DB but unfortunately driving hail stones stopped play

For the "Throttle response" test I would propose (as you have outlined above) logging DB/PB data when driving at part throttle (off boost) at fixed speeds (to be read off the DB/PB GPS) then flooring the throttle WOT for say 3 seconds (doesn't have to be precise, just count off the seconds then release throttle).
    The data trace will show a flat speed line until the point of WOT at which point the speed will increase and the long G will shoot up.
    By studying the long G trace for rate of increase a picture may emerge.
    TBH it may be too subtle a difference between tuned cars to actually quantify just how good each cars throttle response is but it is worth a try.

I will attempt some tests soon (when weather permits) to see what speeds/engine revs are most testing but would think aiming for 2500rpm, 3000rp, 3500rpm etc starting speeds in maybe 3rd gear should be revealing - obviously my results (993tt) will be incomparable with 997tt results due to different gearing, weight, VTGs........

I ran some data tonight and the best way IMO of looking at the data is to measure the time from when WOT is applied (signified by when the constant static G suddenly starts climbing)to the next speed increment.

In the graph below my 993tt running weight 1510kg 4WD 7DegC 990mbar
    3rd gear constant 40mph (so approx 3000rpm)

The long Gs start climing at 0.4s

time from hitting WOT to:
    50mph is 1.4s
    60mph is 2.1s
    70mph is 2.71

This data means nothing in isolation.

We need a few 997tts, stock, CG544 (Alex ) , and AWE700 to try the same thing - I suspect the differences in the times will be small

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690500 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409763 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256017 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235280 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65650 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858426 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774711 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM