Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New pics of 911 Facelift...

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    On the last pic you can clearly see, that the black part at the bottom of the new rear lights is only camouflage.

So what?

Re: AMV8V

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Three other points:
    perceived performance (ie the 997TT is not faster than the 996TTS, so why bother). You are buying the dream of super duper performance, most people will never drive the car above 80% (especially in the US). The 997TT dissapointed there, so why bother with it.

real performance usage: no one needs that much power, I would feel compeled to drive much faster with a GT3 or TT to get the same sensations. So it all comes down to drive feeling and passion. Porsche does not deliver this with the TT, I have more fun in my Aston and in the Mini. I really should try an Elise.

Last is lack of bluetooth/iPod/PDK. Some will argue it is irrelevant in the TT. It is in the GT2/3 but not in the TT...

Ipod/Blueetooth you can add them easily.

Anyway let me tell you that this applies to all cars. Not ony Porsche.

I don't like the V8 anyway. I think it looks like a cheap AM. Especially the convertable. It's awful

Re: AMV8V

Quote:
    Fabio said:

Ipod/Blueetooth you can add them easily.
    I don't like the V8 anyway. I think it looks like a cheap AM. Especially the convertable. It's awful

Non OEM electronics in a $100k+ new car: unacceptable.

Design is very personal, so I won't even go there...

Quote:
    A majority of AMV8 owners were previous 911 owners, how can you say it is not the same market? Obviously they decided to "upgrade" to an Aston and didn't get the 997TT...

Maybe what's obvious is that they got old. Perhaps they have Adrenalin Dysfunction.

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:
    Aston is ok appearance wise but it is a very limited brand, coveted mostly by "English Gentlemen" so it is not really in the same market as Porsche.

A majority of AMV8 owners were previous 911 owners, how can you say it is not the same market? Obviously they decided to "upgrade" to an Aston and didn't get the 997TT...

Aston is a "gentleman's car" and not a sports/track car like Porsche. And I am not saying this in a negative way because but in a descriptive way. Aston is a good brand trying to establish itself commercially. Aston's competition is the new Maserati and maybe Bentley GT because the Aston buyer fancies the Bentley image. A Porsche person normally wouldn't be seen in a Bentley. Of course a Porsche owner can migrate to Aston but he can also buy any other brand because consumers' tastes and priorities change over time. The fact the some people go from Porsche to Aston doesn't mean that these cars serve the same purpose or have similar DNA.

I find it very odd to hear people here saying the Vantage and 997 are aimed at different people, and somehow the Aston is a "gentlemens" car and is trying to establish a brand?????

Total rubbish IMO. Aston Martin is one of the most desirable brand names in the world and has exclusivity that Porsche doesn't have. When it comes to image and desirability Aston wipes the floor with Porsche and I think is probably the main reason why some would choose the Vantage over a 911. (V8 soundtrack helps too!)

However, whether the Vantage is a better drive is totally different story.

Quote:
    markwm said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:
    Aston is ok appearance wise but it is a very limited brand, coveted mostly by "English Gentlemen" so it is not really in the same market as Porsche.

Aston is a "gentleman's car" and not a sports/track car like Porsche. And I am not saying this in a negative way because but in a descriptive way. Aston is a good brand trying to establish itself commercially. Aston's competition is the new Maserati and maybe Bentley GT because the Aston buyer fancies the Bentley image. A Porsche person normally wouldn't be seen in a Bentley. Of course a Porsche owner can migrate to Aston but he can also buy any other brand because consumers' tastes and priorities change over time. The fact the some people go from Porsche to Aston doesn't mean that these cars serve the same purpose or have similar DNA.

I find it very odd to hear people here saying the Vantage and 997 are aimed at different people, and somehow the Aston is a "gentlemens" car and is trying to establish a brand?????

Total rubbish IMO. Aston Martin is one of the most desirable brand names in the world and has exclusivity that Porsche doesn't have. When it comes to image and desirability Aston wipes the floor with Porsche and I think is probably the main reason why some would choose the Vantage over a 911. (V8 soundtrack helps too!)

However, whether the Vantage is a better drive is totally different story.

Porsche is a more focussed car and more lean and athletic car than Aston. More emphasis on agility, winding roads, mountain passes, tracking, less weight etc. Aston is more powerful, bigger engine, more sybaritic type of car suited to the "old boy network" and the "clubhouse chaps". In saying this I don't dismiss Aston at all. It is a very good car but appeals to different clientele compared to Porsche. The market is different not money-wise but from the personality point of view. People migrate to Aston because over time their consumption patterns change. As they grow older they want more goodies and luxuries and comfort and some don't even fit well in a Porsche anymore due to expanding waistline.
    Aston is a known brand definitely but its ups and downs since the 60s haven't helped it to establish continuity and endurance in the market. In this sense it is a brand trying to resurrect itself and re-emerge and good luck to the new owners. Let's be honest if it wasn't for James Bond nobody would have known this brand outside London during their long lean years.

And yet the Vantage is faster or equal on the NBR (N400 for sure) because it has a dry sump pump and can run on sports tyres, a factory option (unlike the 997S) and despite some extra weight. We are not talking DB9 here...

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:Would they need it for homologation?

They would need it as a reason to print money They will sell for LOTS of money and collectors will love them.

Remember, there was a street-legal (Touring) version of the 1973 Carrera RSR 2.8 and those are worth a fortune today...

oh.. he said RSR street car?
    that would be very special and crazy!
    if that's turth, lucky my deposit was placed long time ago...

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    And yet the Vantage is faster or equal on the NBR (N400 for sure) because it has a dry sump pump and can run on sports tyres, a factory option (unlike the 997S) and despite some extra weight. We are not talking DB9 here...

Yes 8.03 mins with Sport tyres as opposed to 8.05 mins for the humble S with normal tyres. If your priority is NBR and your level of ability is such that you can squeeze every second out of the car you can get a GT3 and do 7.48 mins and say "goodbye Mr. Bond"

Quote:
    Fabio said:
    Quote:
    Turbo4ever said:
    Quote:
    Fabio said:
    just heard today the S is getting 30 HP and not 20 as previously said. Not Bad. Moreover there is a GT3 RSR to be announced

GT3 RSR racing car?

I thought that is already announced?

Ok! sorry but i did read your message too quick!

A gt3 RSR STRADALE will be announced!!!!!!

When?

isnt the RS is the RSR street version?

N400 is sub 8mins (7.57 I think)... The 09 V8 will have the N400 engine (or maybe a bigger one actually).

The GT3 and the Vantage are completely different cars.
    Again, the Vantage was built to compete with the 997S, not the GT3 or the 997TT... The GT3 is faster, harsher, almost a street legal track car (with a sunroof though ). Also the GT3 is not in available anymore (at least in the US).

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    N400 is sub 8mins (7.57 I think)... The 09 V8 will have the N400 engine (or maybe a bigger one actually).

Again, the Vantage was built to compete with the 997S, not the GT3 or the 997TT... The GT3 is faster, harsher, almost a street legal track car (with a sunroof though ). Also the GT3 is not in available anymore (at least in the US).

The NBR figures I quoted are from the German Sport Auto magazine. The only ones I have available. Besides, the N400 costs 100,000 GBP in the UK compared to 70,000 GBP for the Carrera S (normal Vantage 83,000 GBP).

yes RSR street version - will be announced in paris auto show

Quote:
    Fabio said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:
    On the last pic you can clearly see, that the black part at the bottom of the new rear lights is only camouflage.

So what?

I just made that comment, because not very long ago someone here at rennteam asked, if these black parts will made their way into production at the facelifted car.

lol

everyone in here is just CRAZY about the FL !!!! (I include myself)

Those last pics , show the steering wheel with manual gearbox, either way, I dont see the tiptronic S buttons are higher than the actual tiptronic buttons....

My guess is that the S version will have more than 381bhp

I also see that RC is very quiet during the last weeks, no news from him regarding the FL....may be he is hiding us something???

Also why in those last pics, the rear rims are different to the front wheels????

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:

The NBR figures I quoted are from the German Sport Auto magazine. The only ones I have available. Besides, the N400 costs 100,000 GBP in the UK compared to 70,000 GBP for the Carrera S (normal Vantage 83,000 GBP).

You don't really expect a handmade car to be cheaper than a high volume one?

Quote:
    Fabio said:

OMG! That's mean 2008 Sep?

Sorry to ask again, but are you sure there will be a road legal GT3 RSR?

My dealer know nothing about that.

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:Would they need it for homologation?

They would need it as a reason to print money They will sell for LOTS of money and collectors will love them.

Remember, there was a street-legal (Touring) version of the 1973 Carrera RSR 2.8 and those are worth a fortune today...

So that's mean Porsche will do that once in a while?

How was that 1973 RSR compared with the RS?

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    SciFrog said:

You don't really expect a handmade car to be cheaper than a high volume one?

I don't think handmade is an advantage anymore. Just a leftover from a bygone era when there were no good automated production methods. Modern production is much more precise than trouble free than the old methods. What you pay extra is for the low volume produced (exclusivity?) and possibly inefficiencies. Exclusive= something not many people wish to buy?

On the last three pics, it looks like they were trying to hide where the picture was taken or so. What happened to the background?
    Furthermore, you can see through the sticker that is over the directional lights that the edge has only a small stripe -> LED's ala turbo?.
    The side mirrors seem to be the old 997 ones, not the dumbo ears.
    I am still clueless about that little red add-on on the rear light assembly... anybody canclarify this?
    -Joost-

did anyone notice the difference in side mirrors?
    they are higher just like the 964 and the lines are longer

Quote:
    Rossi said:

Thank God!

Quote:
    Joost said:I am still clueless about that little red add-on on the rear light assembly... anybody canclarify this?
    -Joost-

If you're referring to the little red squares, you will see that they are a type of tag to pull off a colored film that is over the rear lights in order to hide their actual color/layout.
    You can see this layer of film if you look closely at bottom left hand corner of the Left rear light (and bottom right hand corner of the right rear light - looking at the car from the rear)

Quote:
    996AD said:

Apparently the older ones had an aerodynamic weakness.

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    Quote:
    996AD said:

Apparently the older ones had an aerodynamic weakness.

NOPE: the older ones are aerodymanically better. The reason is the new European Regulatories, which ask for a minimum hight and wideness of the mirrors.

They are UGLY!

Quote:
    Turbo4ever said:
    Quote:
    Fabio said:

yes!!! nobody seems to know but this is what my reliable friend is telling me!
    OMG! That's mean 2008 Sep?

Sorry to ask again, but are you sure there will be a road legal GT3 RSR?

My dealer know nothing about that.

i also think the old ones looked great. Having said that do you know if they will be electronically retractable? The S is gonna be 385 HP

Quote:
    Spyderidol said:
    Quote:
    Joost said:I am still clueless about that little red add-on on the rear light assembly... anybody canclarify this?
    -Joost-

If you're referring to the little red squares, you will see that they are a type of tag to pull off a colored film that is over the rear lights in order to hide their actual color/layout.
    You can see this layer of film if you look closely at bottom left hand corner of the Left rear light (and bottom right hand corner of the right rear light - looking at the car from the rear)

sorry! I meant bottom right corner of the left rear light and the bottom Left corner of the Right rear light.

Quote:
    Spyderidol said:
    Quote:
    Spyderidol said:
    Quote:
    -Joost-

sorry! I meant bottom right corner of the left rear light and the bottom Left corner of the Right rear light.

Those are just reflectors as they camoflaged the "real" reflectors they needed to add separate ones.
    You will not see them on the production cars.

Did anyone notice the rear wheels with a kind of Techart design ?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    782349 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442969 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263535 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261998 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86059 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6047 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881745 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    820074 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM