Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

More photos of my BMW 123d Daily Drive

A break from my 7 day week work cycle at last so I've had a chance to get out in my new car

Re: More photos of my BMW 123d Daily Drive

First impressions very good, although I've driven less than 100 miles in it so far. The much criticised ride quality of the 1 series M Sport suspension, particularly on the 18" run flat tyres I reckon is unfounded, yes it's firm but no more so than the Boxster's PASM in Normal mode. Certainly not harsh and crashy like the outgoing Honda Civic was.

Yes I know, I can't read.

Styling is certainly functional and tidy. In 3 door mode looks less of a "Quart - in - a - pint - pot" than the 5 door.

Magnificent, smooth engine, 204 bhp, 400Nm of torque from a mere 2 litres, courtesy of two turbochargers, a small one for response at low revs and a larger one takes over above 2,000 rpm, with the promise of better than 50 mpg. No turbo lag whatsoever and having rear wheel drive, no torque steer.
    Low emissions of only 138 g/km keeps the tax low here in the UK.

Autocar tested the coupe version with this engine and achieved 0 - 60mph in 6.7 seconds and a top speed of 147 mph.

Superb driving position, as always with BMW and excellent supportive sports seats, far better than the Porsche offerings, for SWMBO and me, anyway. And yes, seat covers on order, side airbag compatible, for when I'm in shipyard mode.

Rear room is very tight, acceptable for a 3 door or the coupe, but a bit of a joke for the 5 door version.

Not sure about the M Sport Aluminium Glacier interior trim though.

Very neat Bluetooth system with the phone cradle underneath the centre armrest, phone memory displayed in the radio display and the phone is charged and also connected to the car's radio aerial for better reception. Controls on the steering wheel or radio.

Very nice. I'll have to bag me a test drive from my local dealer at some point. Was disappointed with the 120d's oomph...

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    Very nice.

Hope so as the car is replacing not only the awful Civic, now gone thankfully, but after the forthcoming Brittany break probably the Boxster as well.

DC - can you point me a the Civic post, oneof my neighbours works for them and would be interested in finding out waht went wrong.

I looked at the 1-series convertible at the weekend - wish they were putting this engine in that. Drove it in the Coupe and was well impressed as I've said before. The 1-serice conv looks a lot better in the flesh - and is a four seater, not a 2+2 - at least for normal sized folks like me.

DC, many congrats, that's a nice car to use day to day

Quote:
    Rich C (UK) said:
    DC - can you point me a the Civic post, oneof my neighbours works for them and would be interested in finding out waht went wrong.

Herewith cut 'n paste from the Off Topics Board. Summary of our frustrating Civic experience :-

My 18 month old Honda Civic 5 door which with the benefit of hindsight is probably one of the worse cars we've ever bought. Terrible rear vision, no rear wash wipe, the spoiler across the rear window virtually obscures any cars coming up behind, open the hatch back in the rain and water either pours into the load area, or on me (or worse SWMBO) .
    The glass area below the spoiler is unheated so is permanently misted up in the winter. We had to fit park-assist as the rear vision is so bad - as has virtually every other Civic owner, apparently. The rear doors are really awkward to open, the concealed handles just don't work - I learned some new language one day when SWMBO broke her nails whilst attempting to open one. The minor controls are virtually unfathomable, especially the heater controls - BMW's I-Drive is a paragon of clarity in comparison. The gear lever is really uncomfortable - I purchased the expensive optional leather one which is no better. But worse even than all this is the quality and reliability. The fuel filler flap refused to open and SWMBO had to drive on vapours to the nearest Honda dealer to fix -a known problem that Honda hadn't bothered to tell their customers about; the handbrake has a tendency to come off when parked - there is a recall for this but the parts aren't available for another month, and now every four days the battery runs flat. Twice I've been stranded at home and had to call Honda Assist out to jump start; it isn't the battery, there appears to be an intermitttent power drain, the car has been at my Honda dealer for four days now whilst they try and find the problem. They now think the fault lies with the engine ECU and are waiting for a CD to reprogram it.

I am about to compose a colourful letter to Honda GB about the whole sorry saga.

Well latest update on the Civic is I collected the car today. Garage now thinks unless you really slam the hatchback shut the bootlight might not go out. Another fault. They've had no battery drain in the 4 days the car has been in the workshop. Honda still want the engine management control unit reprogrammed but the CD to do this isn't available until 4th April. Someone elses' problem, I collect the 123d next Friday.

In a nutshell I feel totally betrayed by the Honda brand. SWMBO and I have had several Hondas, a 1996 Civic 5 door, a 1998 Civic 3 dr VTi a 2000 S2000, and SWMBO currently drives a Jazz. All these cars have been totally reliable, well engineered and designed and we are totally pleased with every one, the Jazz in particular is truly excellent.

We could just about forgive the Civic most of the faults if only the car had been reliable. I'd have to go back as far as a 1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 to find a car that's been as much trouble as the Civic. And that only actually broke down once in three years!!

The best part of the ownership experience was the excellent service from Balmer Lawn Honda. They tell me a significant number of Civic owners are getting rid after a fairly short timespan and either going to the Accord - or elsewhere.

The view in the rear mirror of the Civic, note how the spoiler can completely hide anything behind, and how the visibility is made even worse in the winter when the window area below the spoiler is misted up, as it is unheated.

In summary be warned - the new Civic is a piece of complete garbage.

DC, congrats to the new ride - perfect colour for a BMW
    Like said before - the BMW Diesel engines are best in class IMO.
    But I'm very sorry to hear that you're going to give up enjoying the roar of the flat-six

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    But I'm very sorry to hear that you're going to give up enjoying the roar of the flat-six

Well I did say "probably" But with spending a fair bit on extending our home this year - if I ever get the better of the beaurocracy involved with New Forest District Council planning and building regulations approval - and it's difficult to justify laying out in excess of Pounds2,000 this year excluding depreciation just to keep it on the road when it spends most of its time on charge-o-mat life support in the garage. I will miss it really badly if it goes though SWMBO and me have to start seriously thinking about ensuring we have sufficient funds for retirement

Today I drive 135i Coupe. Waw , awesome little car. More fun to drive than E92 3 coupe. In flesh it looks nice, better than on photos.

Congrats, yours is the car I would buy if it were offered in the US.

Really like the colors interior and exterior. I could hardly entertain the idea of seat covers myself. The only thing that I would change is getting the steering wheel away from the right side.

Quote:
    Shakal said:
    Today I drive 135i Coupe. Waw , awesome little car. More fun to drive than E92 3 coupe. In flesh it looks nice, better than on photos.

BTW: Congrats on new car, it's very nice

Holy post resurrection Batman.... but thought I'd drag this one back out of the gutter....

Following a recent job change, and the need to commute further than across the landing, I have been looking around for a reasonably frugal, but fun, car for the job - TT Roadster just too noisy and tiring..

Well, lo and behold, ended up picking up a 6 month old 123d M Sport Coupe at the weekend and am really enjoying it - though the torque can easily unstick the rear wheels on the leaf covered country lanes near where I live - traction control kicking in in 4th anyone?

Is a bit of a 'face only a mother could love', and whilst I can't fault the build quality some of the plastics are a little below par, and the central locking sounds hollow and cheap - but the driving postion, engine, and overall smiles per mile are well up there - and with my sensible hat on, can't seem to get an avg mpg below 40, even with enthusiastic driving, and a good run is knocking on the door of 50mpg... not to be sniffed at...

Would post some pics, but the lovely Space Grey car I picked up on Sat has already turned into a more matt looking Motorway Grey... ;)

congrats ! i haven't driven the 1 M Sport yet but i hear its really fun. do post pics, space grey is a great color for BMWs

Rich C (UK):

Holy post resurrection Batman.... but thought I'd drag this one back out of the gutter....

Well, lo and behold, ended up picking up a 6 month old 123d M Sport Coupe at the weekend and am really enjoying it - though the torque can easily unstick the rear wheels on the leaf covered country lanes near where I live - traction control kicking in in 4th anyone?

Is a bit of a 'face only a mother could love', and whilst I can't fault the build quality some of the plastics are a little below par, and the central locking sounds hollow and cheap - but the driving postion, engine, and overall smiles per mile are well up there - and with my sensible hat on, can't seem to get an avg mpg below 40, even with enthusiastic driving, and a good run is knocking on the door of 50mpg... not to be sniffed at...

Would post some pics, but the lovely Space Grey car I picked up on Sat has already turned into a more matt looking Motorway Grey... ;)

Hi Rich Smiley I am certain you won't be disappointed, even if it is a bit of a comedown from an AMV8 Smiley

Mine has now done 28,000 completely trouble free miles in 19 months doing my daily commute from Southampton to Portsmouth. MPG according to the computer is 50.4 which is amazing for such a powerful car.

Here's a pic I took in the Navy Base last spring alongside Wightlink's Portsmouth - Isle of Wight ferry "St Clare" in dry dock...

123d-1.jpg

--
    Boxster S 3.4 06 Cobalt / Ocean Blue (Zuffenhausen collection)  BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon

Congrats.  My 135i has been great although it hasn't seen too many miles as it is only being used very occasionally.  Too many cars/bikes and not enough time, especially given I walk to work.

Hi Dreamcar

as I ordered the new X1 with the same motor, could you tell me what is it about the noise of the motor ? I tested one with an automatic gearbox and it was OK, but the motor was already warm...

--
    1992 Audi S2 sold 1997 M3 sold 1999 M5 sold 2001 X5 sold 2005 997 C2S sold 2007 Audi R8

rv997:

Hi Dreamcar

as I ordered the new X1 with the same motor, could you tell me what is it about the noise of the motor ? I tested one with an automatic gearbox and it was OK, but the motor was already warm...

Hi iv997 Smiley

In my car the engine is amazingly smooth and quiet, slightly clattery on the outside on start up but certainly not like an iron bucket full of rusty bolts like the Audi / VW PD diesels. My car is manual, but I wouldn't have thought that made any difference to the engine noise. However, Autocar did criticise the same engine in the X1 as noisy, so maybe the installation is different in that car. Smiley If I get a chance later (I'm at work today Smiley ) I'll scan and post it for you.

--
    Boxster S 3.4 06 Cobalt / Ocean Blue (Zuffenhausen collection)  BMW 123d M Sport 08 Le Mans Blue / Lemon

Thank you Dreamcar

I saw the autocar article, and some others, some are complaining about the noise, some don't.

It's clear that you ear it on the outside, but I did not notice it inside, and the radio was off

--
    1992 Audi S2 sold 1997 M3 sold 1999 M5 sold 2001 X5 sold 2005 997 C2S sold 2007 Audi R8

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690741 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409926 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256113 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235355 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65732 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858677 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774890 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM