Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Nissan GTR

Last week i went to visit a uk dealer who had the new GTR to view. wow what a car! Its stuffed full of standerd equipment, more performance than you will ever need and looks to boot. Its a car that is really going to test brand loyalty. I have had four Porsche's but this is the first car to challenge my current 911 S logic. Has anyone else seen the car and if so what are your thoughts?

Re: Nissan GTR

It is a Japanese Porsche but with lower costs, better technology and refreshingly new. Not the same old, same old with incremental change.

It seems to be a superb car, but personally I don't like the looks of it...

I saw the GTR at the Vancouver car show yesterday and it's MASSIVE! Definitely has a presence. Hardly a beauty queen in this eye of the holder. Impressive nonetheless.

I have seen the car too - looks very nice in that expensive optional Super Silver paint ($3k extra). I would probably buy one today at MSRP (if possible) and if the insurance rate isn't too crazy (unlikely). Costs a bit less than base 997 with GT3-beating performance (if not feel) and all-weather ability. Wish it was smaller and lighter though - anyone planning to track one frequently should budget a huge amount for brakes (expensive 15" floating rotors and pads) and 20" tires...

Sorry Gents, I'm not going to drive around in an ugly POS like that.

Put more gently: say the next fashion cycle in eye wear is big octagonal frames. Forget it, won't ever be on MY face; not gonna do it.

GT-R looks totally screwed up. Like fugly is THE greatest thing in trendy design. Here's what car stylists must be thinking:

"Don't even try to make a beautiful car, don't even try to make a good looking car. Most of the car buying public is comprised of stupid shts who can't tell the difference anyway. Just make the car _different_ looking and they will buy it."

Puhleeeze, Nissan got stuck with that square grille (from the 240Z days?) and they can't win any beauty contests no matter what they do, like a totally fat chick getting botox.

Hey Nissan! Get rid of that stuuuuupid look and start over!!

Damn shame we can't rip that body off and put another one on of our choice. Why should I have to drive around advertising this crummy "new look?" It's like I approve of it or I'm so dimwitted I don't notice that it's repulsive.

To be fair: third possibility is the driver hates it but likes what's underneath.

WOW! Sorry! I'm having a hangover! Sorry.

Freekin abortion, geez!

Makes BMWs look gorgeous.

Nissan has produced a car with spectacular performance at a very reduced price compared to other cars with similar performance. That in itself is a major engineering, production and commercial achievement which I salute.

However, from a design perspective this car does nothing for me. IMO it's like someone took a Subaru Impreza or a Mitsubishi Evo and took it up several notches.

However, I don't buy a car based on its 'performance for the money paid' alone. There are so many factors which together determine whether I would buy that car. My Porsche satisfies that combination. This car doesn't unfortunately.

would you drive a dog turd if was gt/r quik and priced a bit less...

Quote:
    nberry said:
    It is a Japanese Porsche but with lower costs, better technology and refreshingly new. Not the same old, same old with incremental change.

What about the difference in production numbers? Wouldn't this explain the differences you cite? Nissan makes what..., 1.3 million cars a year?

Would be nice if Ferrari upped their production to at least a few hundred thousand units a year. They'd be a muuuuch better car if they did. No more fluffy coveted niche market hype, more reasonably priced, cheaper to build, lower maint costs and the same quality since robots are ultra-precise these days. Will be nice to see the differences when Ferrari produces a million units per year.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

What about the difference in production numbers? Wouldn't this explain the differences you cite? Nissan makes what..., 1.3 million cars a year?

Would be nice if Ferrari upped their production to at least a few hundred thousand units a year. They'd be a muuuuch better car if they did. No more fluffy coveted niche market hype, more reasonably priced, cheaper to build, lower maint costs and the same quality since robots are ultra-precise these days. Will be nice to see the differences when Ferrari produces a million units per year.

Apparently, Nissan is taking a rather cautious approach with production numbers. Presently, they claiming only 1550 units to the US in the first year. I doubt they will abide by that number.

Concerning styling, there is a definite strong correlation between familiarity and acceptability. The more you see it, the more it grows on you. The same with music. The more you hear, the better you like. Recall when Porsche first introduced the 911, it looked like a frog and till this day still looks like one. Yet, it is accepted as classic design (read ugly but we have grown used to it ).

People who own Porsche's shouldn't throw stones when they live in glass houses.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Recall when Porsche first introduced the 911, it looked like a frog and till this day still looks like one. Yet, it is accepted as classic design (read ugly but we have grown used to it ).

Nick, that is just another of your classic posts. And, yes, we have grown used to them.

It's cars like the Nissan and the ZR1 that give you so much performance for relatively low prices that test the resolve of people like us when it comes to appreciating the finer things in cars like Porsches.

I have a GT-R coming this summer @ MSRP. However, after seeing it in the metal at the NY Auto Show, I will be canceling my order. I thought the car looked huge, unrefined and basicallly cheap. It was far too busy looking. I do not care how fast it is, I will not be buying it. If speed were the only concern maybe we should just strap rocket packs to our backs instead, ala Jetsons!

I thought that I would never say it again, but I would rather go much slower in a much more tatseful, albiet more expensive, 911.

Quote:
    roadtrip said:
    would you drive a dog turd if was gt/r quik and priced a bit less...

For the right price, strong resale value, reliability, utility, safety, driving dynamics, and proper "feel" behind the wheel, I can forgive alot

Nissan and Ferrari

Quote:
    nberry said:

Apparently, Nissan is taking a rather cautious approach with production numbers. Presently, they claiming only 1550 units to the US in the first year. I doubt they will abide by that number.

Sir, the fact that Nissan is a huge company means they can draw from huge resources and build a hot latest-technology car like the GTR.

They ALSO can afford to LOSE money on it, sell it for a very low price. It's probably _market_warfare_ to erode confidence in Porsche.

Re: Nissan and Ferrari

Quote:
    MMD said:
    They ALSO can afford to LOSE money on it, sell it for a very low price. It's probably _market_warfare_ to erode confidence in Porsche.

Porsche deserves to lose a few customers when a mildly well equipped Cayman S costs as much as a fully-loaded GT-R. I hope this prods Porsche to up the ante a bit with the go-fast parts (motors, LSD, etc.)

There is no denying that the GT-R is fast, but sticky tires, launch control and a dual clutch trans. definately help the preformance; A LOT!

Quote:
    devo said:
    There is no denying that the GT-R is fast, but sticky tires, launch control and a dual clutch trans. definately help the preformance; A LOT!

Not sure I get the point of your post. Are you praising the GT-R for incorporating such advanced technology for such a reasonable price or saying that the GT-R isn't that impressive, since it relies on all that technology to achieve its results?

BTW, launch control has nothing to do with its Nurburgring time of 7:38. And its tires are run-flats (hardly DOT track tires like those on the GT3)...

Quote:
    Grant said:...
    Porsche deserves to lose a few customers when a mildly well equipped Cayman S costs as much as a fully-loaded GT-R. I hope this prods Porsche to up the ante a bit with the go-fast parts (motors, LSD, etc.)

Agreed. PAG is probably the only company that reversed the production sequence coupe/roadster and decided to charge more for the coupe.

Price aside it is a shame that PAG castrates the Cayman power-train, out of greed, even though I doubt that a well powered Cayman would cut much into 911 sales.

Quote:
    cheshire porsche said:
    Last week i went to visit a uk dealer who had the new GTR to view. wow what a car! Its stuffed full of standerd equipment, more performance than you will ever need and looks to boot. Its a car that is really going to test brand loyalty. I have had four Porsche's but this is the first car to challenge my current 911 S logic. Has anyone else seen the car and if so what are your thoughts?

I felt the same way when I saw the first Pictures of AUDI R8. Loyalty pays to a certain point after owning 5 different Porsches I decided to try something else and never regreted it.
    If Porsche comes back with some kick ass products like they used to I will switch for sure again.

So go with your feelings and what you like, you won't hurt Mr. WW's feelings .

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Recall when Porsche first introduced the 911, it looked like a frog and till this day still looks like one. Yet, it is accepted as classic design (read ugly but we have grown used to it ).

Nick, that is just another of your classic posts. And, yes, we have grown used to them.

Classic? I don't think so. Don't encourage him! More like redundant, ad nauseum posts!

David

Ron, I was all set to order the facelift but the insulting trade in value (resulting in a high cost to change) challenges logic. I love the looks of the R8 and with cars like the Nissan coming through the decision process of automatically ordering a replacement Porsche has to be questioned. I love Porsches but for me they have to make some quantum enhancements in order to maintain their premium pricing. Its not like high residuals are their saviour. For how much longer will Porsche be the brand that all other sports car manufactures wish to measure up to? I think the R8 has already moved this game on. Come on Porsche move the game on. PS my local Porsche dealer has recently informed me that the take up for the facelift 911 has been slow at best.

I think PAG will get the message loud and clear when they see the muted enthusiasm from (repeat and new) customers for the pretty minor enhancements they are rolling out with the facelifted models.

You're right. The game has certainly moved on. Yes, a Porsche offers a package that works so well together but customers will (eventually) grow tired of a relative lack of power and torque.

Aside from the classic Z cars, the only other good looking car to come out of Nissan were the Z32's, the 1990 -1996 Twin Turbo Z's......... IMO

The new Skyline might have a 'presence' but it reminds me of Japanese sci-fi Anime machines.

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Freekin abortion, geez!

Makes BMWs look gorgeous.

I'm not so sure...

Has the GTR turned into some kind of a disease ? I'm starting to see it almost everywhere on the forums

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    devo said:

Not sure I get the point of your post. Are you praising the GT-R for incorporating such advanced technology for such a reasonable price or saying that the GT-R isn't that impressive, since it relies on all that technology to achieve its results?

BTW, launch control has nothing to do with its Nurburgring time of 7:38. And its tires are run-flats (hardly DOT track tires like those on the GT3)...

I believe that the Bridgestones have more grip than the PS2s(maybe not). I am not so sure that Nissan's time is all that credible. SA did not get such a favorable run; granted conditions may not have been ideal.

The GT-R does rely on it's superior trans. technology to acheive the superior acceleration times. If not for launch control and a dual clutch trans., these times would not be so great, given its weight. I would believe that a 997tt would put a lot of hurt on the GT-R during any in-gear run. How many times is one going to really use launch control? And, I dare say that the jury is still out on whether or not some of these cars were ringers. Let us see how the US cars dyno.

I am not favoring either car, each has its strengths and weaknesses, but give the 997tt a set of aftermarket coil overs and PDK and the test might be very different.

Nissan should wake Porsche up, but after seeing the GTR in person, I will say, you do get what you pay for.

Quote:
    DavidSF said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Classic? I don't think so. Don't encourage him! More like redundant, ad nauseum posts!

David

Encourage him? Hmmm, maybe the irony was too subtle. I was using the expression "classic" according to Nick's own definition of it.
    Read: "Ugly, but we have grown used to it", remember?.

Lighten up, David. Don't indulge Nick by taking his posts seriously.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 3:43 AM
    rhino
    802660 1804
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448385 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265924 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89925 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6399 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885344 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832170 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM