Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018) - Short Review (incomplete)

for get tuning, RC, the car is what it is and it is great at what it is.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

for get tuning, RC, the car is what it is and it is great at what it is.

You're probably right. I'll wait until 5000 km anyway to see how well it performs (apparently 5000 km is the "magic number" after which the E63 engine unveils it's full potential...) but since my dealer won't "support" any tuning, I can't do it anyway, especially since the car is a lease.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

alexalex88:
    pmarkow:
    alexalex88:

Who is buying a +5m sport sedan to have an spirited drive through some twisties on sunday? They were concibed for people with family needs who didn't want to lose the sporty feeling performance wise, just to have a pleasant highway drive with them on -carrying kids and/or wife- averaging ~180 km/h w/o barely noticing it and with power enough to overtake with a huge security margin on b-roads, not to drift like Chris Harris nor late breaking to attack a right turn, so its weight and "feeling like a whale in a bathtub" -which is true- is a nonsense.

it does happen at occasions that one ends up on twisties on sunday. or do you take two cars along on a ride? one for the autobahn and another one for mountain roads? i do not know what the new E63 feels like, that is why i am checking with RC, who can actually take a joke. i only know how the M5 F10 felt when - unexpectedly - i ended up on twisty mountain roads. just like a whale in a bathtub. i hope the new generation of super sedans has somewhat changed in that respect, particularly since i am thinking of getting a new M5 myself. but thanks for your lesson in proper car usage anyway.

Take it easy mate, I just said what I said, which is that these cars are not intended to be driven on twisties despite you accidentally ende up on a mountain road one day. They might feel like a whale in a bathtub, maybe not, but this isn't their natural enviroment.

Hope you enjoy your future M5 in good health, for sure it'll be a hell of a car!

thanks. let us see how it goes for RC:::)))

RC:

After driving over 2300 km in the E63S, lately incl. some spirited driving, I'd say that the Achilles heel of the car is the brake. The pedal feel is a bit too soft and lacks the "precision" of Porsche's PCCB. The tires are surprisingly capable but  I cannot say for how long. The tire temperature goes up to 54-56 deg C pretty fast and I assume that if I'd take it to the track, it would easily exceed 60-70 deg C and this is definitely too much for the PZero road tire.

Guys, the E63S is a lot of fun but it is no real sportscar, this needs to be clear. It is however a nice compromise for people like me who cannot drive a sportscar all the time.

that makes a lot of sense. i recall the steel brakes of my M5 F10 which were horrible. now the steels and ceramics on those super sedans have surely improved but i can see them lacking when coming from a GT3RS. at this point, i am still unsure.....M5 or the 992 turbo S after the GT3RS::::)))

Christian, if you tune the car you’re nuts. You bought the car for what it is and not what it might be. Enjoy it because no matter the number of horses you have there will always be someone faster. 

Btw, what the hell are you doing racing cars with your son in the passenger seat? Bad move. enlightened

--

Where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be great.

nberry:

Christian, if you tune the car you’re nuts. You bought the car for what it is and not what it might be. Enjoy it because no matter the number of horses you have there will always be someone faster. 

Btw, what the hell are you doing racing cars with your son in the passenger seat? Bad move. enlightened

What you call "racing" in US is just a regular commute in Germany.......Smiley

absent:
    nberry:

That's is correct, the few days I was in Germany, every trip means getting on the highway and straight to 200+km/hr, at times even top 260km/hr. Effortlessly and extremely safe.

--

Its safer to do say 180km/h in the autobahn than 70mph in a US highway IMO. Its all about not only the way the highways are constructed for safety but also the drivers you have around you.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:

Its safer to do say 180km/h in the autobahn than 70mph in a US highway IMO. Its all about not only the way the highways are constructed for safety but also the drivers you have around you.

--

Not quite if you extend that to racing a f488 or S class to top speed or close to it.  I get that the family all needs to travel on the autobahn but please the comparison to 70 mph in the US is a bit much in light of racing Ferrari’s and S class Mercedes. Nick has a point which is bolstered by the fact he knows not to do this even without having kids. 

RC:
    spudgun:

Jeez, you truly are the light of the party. The guy is happy with his new car, what’s wrong with that? Smiley

You should go out sometime instead of living your live behind a keyboard. It’s getting pathetic.

Smiley Btw: I am getting the Huracan Performante Spyder for the next weekend...better than his RAV4. 😂

Oh, that‘s an intersting one. Hope you take some time and post your impressions afterwards. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Leawood911:
    Carlos from Spain:

--

Not quite if you extend that to racing a f488 or S class to top speed or close to it.  I get that the family all needs to travel on the autobahn but please the comparison to 70 mph in the US is a bit much in light of racing Ferrari’s and S class Mercedes. Nick has a point which is bolstered by the fact he knows not to do this even without having kids. 

Never spoke about "racing", that is another story, I was replying to what Whoopsy said, and cruising at 180km/h vs 70mph in US? absolutely. Just check the mortality rates between the Autobahn and US highways... that said, personally I don't cruise at 180km/h when my daughter is with me even if I would feel safer than doing 70mph on a US highway.

--

Carlos from Spain:
    Leawood911:
    Carlos from Spain:

--

Never spoke about "racing", that is another story, I was replying to what Whoopsy said, and cruising at 180km/h vs 70mph in US? absolutely. Just check the mortality rates between the Autobahn and US highways... that said, personally I don't cruise at 180km/h when my daughter is with me even if I would feel safer than doing 70mph on a US highway.

Confirmation.   A few days ago, when leaving for the extended holiday weekend, I avoided a large shunt by mere inches when a Honda CR-V’s driver decided to suddenly cross four lanes to take an exit.   I was approaching inside, while traveling near the 65 mph speed limit, had gained on the left lane blocker.  Suddenly that crossover swerves to the right, on top of front fender, and across the blend line for the exit. If I didn’t brake aggressively, I would have collected that crossover and its idiot driver.  

Seldom does one encounter such blatantly poor and rude drivers in the EU as in the U.S., where it is all too common.  

In the NorthEast, using the adaptative cruise control, even using the closest distance with the car in front, someone always tries to insert themselves regardless of the safety intervals. Happens several times during my commute. They are just expecting you to slow and let them infant of you, but since these systems can't see on the side, the car stays put. Quite dangerous.

SciFrog:

In the NorthEast, using the adaptative cruise control, even using the closest distance with the car in front, someone always tries to insert themselves regardless of the safety intervals. Happens several times during my commute. They are just expecting you to slow and let them infant of you, but since these systems can't see on the side, the car stays put. Quite dangerous.

I have had cars move into my lane even as I can see their blind spot indicator in their mirror flashing to show I am along side.  SUV drivers are the worse since the bigger than your sports car mentality is applied.

I have driven the Autobahn on many occasions and to say it’s safer to travel 200-250 k on the autobahn than 70 on US roads is utter nonsense. I know users of the autobahn would like to belive that but factual it’s untrue. Traveling at a speed of 70mph will always be safer than at anything over 200k per hour.enlightened

Furthermore, Christian posted he was racing the Ferrari and I believe a MAC while on his way to Italy. Never said which road he was on. But he did imply he was racing those cars.

--

Where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be great.

nberry:

I have driven the Autobahn on many occasions and to say it’s safer to travel 200-250 k on the autobahn than 70 on US roads is utter nonsense. I know users of the autobahn would like to belive that but factual it’s untrue. Traveling at a speed of 70mph will always be safer than at anything over 200k per hour.enlightened

Furthermore, Christian posted he was racing the Ferrari and I believe a MAC while on his way to Italy. Never said which road he was on. But he did imply he was racing those cars.

Nick, I was just in LA after coming back from Europe. On the highway at 70mph, you get six lanes of chaos. Slowest cars don't stay right, trucks are hogging the middle lanes. There there is the one talking on the phone, eating a burger, etc. Add the speeders that weave through all 6 lanes of traffic.

At 200+km/hr on the autobahn, trucks are confined to the right most lane, traffic always travel in the middle lane the the left lane is only used for passing. Even at 250+km/hr it's so much less stress driving there.

I have a much much higher chance of getting hit by another car in the USA than in Germany, it is much a much safer highway even at the higher speed.

Most of the American drivers are unsafe at even 30mph. Much less 70mph. They are way undereducated on how to operate a automobile safely than needed.

--

Here's what you need, warrantied and semi-official, shame its a lease car :)

08.05.2018 - Performance upgrade to 588 kW / 800 hp

The latest Mercedes E 63 and S 63 models are powered by a twin-turbo V8 with a displacement of 3,982 cc. This engine offers great performance reserves, which the BRABUS power unit engineers unleash with their latest performance upgrade. To this end, they used their tremendous expertise from more than 40 years of tuning to develop the 800 performance kit. This conversion comprises two BRABUS high-performance turbochargers with a larger compressor unit and a modified core assembly with reinforced axial bearings. They produce a maximum boost pressure of 1.6 bar.

The engine tuning also comprises a plug-and-play BRABUS PowerXtra module, which is connected to the vehicleÂ’s electronic engine control unit and provides the engine with new mapping for injection and ignition. In addition, this control module also modifies the electronic boost pressure control. This engine conversion produces an extra 138.4 kW / 188 hp (186 bhp) of power and 100 Nm (74 lb-ft) more torque. BRABUS recommends hi-tech lubricants from technology partner MOTUL.

With an output of 588 kW / 800 hp (789 bhp) at 6,700 rpm and a peak torque of 1,000 Nm at 3,600 rpm, the BRABUS 800 accelerates from rest to 100 km/h (62 mph) in just 3,0 seconds for the E 63 and 3.1 seconds for the S 63.

absent:
    nberry:

Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

Couldn't have said it better, Nick (Whoopsy). 👍

--

CGX car nut:
    Carlos from Spain:
    Leawood911:
    Carlos from Spain:

--

Confirmation.   A few days ago, when leaving for the extended holiday weekend, I avoided a large shunt by mere inches when a Honda CR-V’s driver decided to suddenly cross four lanes to take an exit.   I was approaching inside, while traveling near the 65 mph speed limit, had gained on the left lane blocker.  Suddenly that crossover swerves to the right, on top of front fender, and across the blend line for the exit. If I didn’t brake aggressively, I would have collected that crossover and its idiot driver.  

Seldom does one encounter such blatantly poor and rude drivers in the EU as in the U.S., where it is all too common.  

It was not being rude on part of that driver, rather ignorance and very poor driving skills so prevalent here in US.

Arguably, we must have the worst driver education and worst drivers in the civilized World.

They eat, text,, apply make up , pick the buggers or masturbate, all while driving.

They never pay attention to what is around them, when it is their time to take the exit, they change lanes without indicators or any regard for other drivers, rear and side mirrors are for make up, shaving and zit squeezing only.

Otherwise, if you met them, some are the nicest people you ever met.

After driving equal time on both autobahn and US Highways in the past 40+ years, I too strongly believe I am safer at 200km/h on the first then at 55mph on the latter.

Fatality rates for Germany vs US only confirm that fact.

I still remember one of the worst accidents I witnessed, back in 1982, when a Jeep Cherokee with 4 GIs from a nearby base in Nurnberg, entered the autobahn and crossed directly to left lane while doing about 60-70km/h (typical behavior for US drivers).

....right in front of a 500SEL Lorinser going at significantly more then 200km/h.

All 4 soldiers, kids really, dead on the spot, so was the MB driver.

Happened in Germany but the accident was pure American.

It does sharpen your reflexes to almost Jedi like ability. 

Thats the only positive spin I can put on US lane discipline.  Else I agree with everything here. 

GT3ZZZ:

Here's what you need, warrantied and semi-official, shame its a lease car :)

08.05.2018 - Performance upgrade to 588 kW / 800 hp

The latest Mercedes E 63 and S 63 models are powered by a twin-turbo V8 with a displacement of 3,982 cc. This engine offers great performance reserves, which the BRABUS power unit engineers unleash with their latest performance upgrade. To this end, they used their tremendous expertise from more than 40 years of tuning to develop the 800 performance kit. This conversion comprises two BRABUS high-performance turbochargers with a larger compressor unit and a modified core assembly with reinforced axial bearings. They produce a maximum boost pressure of 1.6 bar.

The engine tuning also comprises a plug-and-play BRABUS PowerXtra module, which is connected to the vehicleÂ’s electronic engine control unit and provides the engine with new mapping for injection and ignition. In addition, this control module also modifies the electronic boost pressure control. This engine conversion produces an extra 138.4 kW / 188 hp (186 bhp) of power and 100 Nm (74 lb-ft) more torque. BRABUS recommends hi-tech lubricants from technology partner MOTUL.

With an output of 588 kW / 800 hp (789 bhp) at 6,700 rpm and a peak torque of 1,000 Nm at 3,600 rpm, the BRABUS 800 accelerates from rest to 100 km/h (62 mph) in just 3,0 seconds for the E 63 and 3.1 seconds for the S 63.

Oh yes, that is what RC needs. BRABUS and more stripes Smiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

With that upgrade his interest in the car will be lengthened by 10 to 12 months wink

Don’t push it now you optimist 

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

SciFrog:

With that upgrade his interest in the car will be lengthened by 10 to 12 months wink

But it takes that long just to sort out the 'upgrade' and make it work properly!

--

You have a much higher chance of getting hit in the US than Germany because you're often in the middle of nowhere in Germany, whereas even in the suburbs it's not uncommon to be surrounded by cars at all times. Do I think Germans are better drivers? Sure, but the traffic situation is nothing alike.

I personally do not think 200 kph on the Autobahn is safer than 70 mph in America. Most people on the Autobahn in Germany are not doing 200 kph anyway. Whenever I do, I'm constantly passing people and rarely being passed.

200 kph in Germany with American levels of traffic would not be safe at all IMO. 

Btw Nick, speed doesn't kill. Ignorance and stupidity does.

If one is responsible and alert and the surrounding drivers are also, there is no chance of accidents. 

Using mirrors is a must.

On the autobahn, when I am going at a very high rate of speed, I look way way up ahead to anticipate what the other drivers will be doing.  

One can see perhaps a car is pulling over to the middle lane to pass a slow truck o note right lane, and another car traveling I ninth middle lane will likely cut over to the left lane to avoid the other car, then I would already be on my brakes to slow down to prepare. 

Most of the European drivers are educated enough to check their mirrors before pulling out, so seldom you get 'surprises' (That doesn't not include the Dutch with the yellow plates!)

--

noone1:

You have a much higher chance of getting hit in the US than Germany because you're often in the middle of nowhere in Germany, whereas even in the suburbs it's not uncommon to be surrounded by cars at all times. Do I think Germans are better drivers? Sure, but the traffic situation is nothing alike.

I personally do not think 200 kph on the Autobahn is safer than 70 mph in America. Most people on the Autobahn in Germany are not doing 200 kph anyway. Whenever I do, I'm constantly passing people and rarely being passed.

200 kph in Germany with American levels of traffic would not be safe at all IMO. 

And as usual your posts are mostly wrong again. I am really seeing a trend.

In and around Stuttgart, Munich, and other big cities there are clogged highways too, but they are still much safer than any American ones. Drivers don't go weave in and out of their lanes constantly in Europe. 

A lot of the German highways are restricted, mostly are 120lm/hr or 110km/hr. People do travel faster than that but not much, and they still obey the first rule of driving, stay right unless passing. No one is getting frustrated getting stuck behind someone driving slow on the passing lane. That's one of the major reason on American highways being unsafe.

200km/hr is a great cruising speed on the unrestricted section, one can make good time while driving leisurely.

--

Whoopsy:

If one is responsible and alert and the surrounding drivers are also, there is no chance of accidents. 

Yet somehow accidents in Germany still happen, at all speed, at all locations, in all conditions. Go figure...

Whoopsy:

In and around Stuttgart, Munich, and other big cities there are clogged highways too, but they are still much safer than any American ones. Drivers don't go weave in and out of their lanes constantly in Europe. 

And you're not going 200 kph on clogged highways in Germany because A) they're clogged and B) they're usually restricted.

The places you go 200 kph in Germany are similar to middle of nowhere America, where there is barely any traffic in the first place, thus 200 kph on those autobahns is definitely not safer than 70 mph in America. I'm familiar with the stretched of unrestricted highways in German and they are nothing like suburban highways in America.

You cannot just compare two speeds like that because 70 mph is the speed limit in the middle of nowhere and the speed limit in the suburbs too in America.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753354 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430846 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258657 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255505 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79557 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868433 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802037 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM