Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Bruce McLaren voted 74th greatest F1 drivers

1. Stirling Moss
    2. Jim Clark
    3. Ayrton Senna
    4. Alain Prost
    5. Alberto Ascari
    6. Juan-Manuel Fangio
    7. Bernd Rosemeyer
    8. Jackie Stewart
    9. Tazio Nuvolari
    10. Mika Häkkinen
    11. Michael Schumacher

so on....

This guy is an [beep]!!! read for yourself here:

http://www.bruce-mclaren.com/news/bruce-mclaren-voted-74th-greatest-f1-driver-of-all-time

Re: Bruce McLaren voted 74th greatest F1 drivers

May I point out that Bruce McLaren died 38 years ago?

McLaren was a legend and better than that limp footed old fool Moss!

Stirling Moss only won 16 races in his career didn't he? Ok sure Schumacher had contractual protection with his team mates, but he would have to be a very brave (or rather stupid) man to put him at number 11!

Who cares abut this list? I've never heard of half the old farts on his list, and besides, it's pretty silly to even begin to compare drivers like this.

Quote:
    Nicholas H said:

Would you care to elaborate your rationale in terming Moss as a "limp footed old fool"

These lists are stupid, you cannot rank people from different eras...

Quote:
    John H said:
    Quote:
    Nicholas H said:

Would you care to elaborate your rationale in terming Moss as a "limp footed old fool"

Well, hes got a limp and hes an old fool. i.e. limp footed old fool.
    Are you unaware he uses a cane? He deliberately struggles without one in front of cameras but basically lives on it when the cameras are'nt around.

I am guessing he never drove for Lotus than Nick? With your collection of vintage Lotus race cars, you would be praising him if he was an ex Lotus driver. Lol

Hakkinen above Schumacher? Thats a laugh

Quote:
    WAY said:
    I am guessing he never drove for Lotus than Nick? With your collection of vintage Lotus race cars, you would be praising him if he was an ex Lotus driver. Lol

No no, Ive got one of his cars. Lotus 18 F1.
    Does'nt change anything though.

Quote:
    Nicholas H said:
    Quote:
    John H said:
    Quote:
    Nicholas H said:

Are you unaware he uses a cane? He deliberately struggles without one in front of cameras but basically lives on it when the cameras are'nt around.

Right! You've explained the limp - the result of age plus the accident which ended his career. That's reason enough is it for your derisory remarks??

What about your "old fool" comment?... Do you know him?... Have you met him?... Have you driven with him?

I await your clarification with controlled interest!!

Quote:
    John H said:
    Quote:
    Nicholas H said:
    Quote:
    John H said:
    Quote:
    Nicholas H said:

Right! You've explained the limp - the result of age plus the accident which ended his career. That's reason enough is it for your derisory remarks??

What about your "old fool" comment?... Do you know him?... Have you met him?... Have you driven with him?

2 out of 3 yes' to your questions, but I wont answer in full. Lets just agree to disagree. Seeing your British I understand where youre coming from.

Exactly. Mate in Nick's opinion, Alan Jones is the best driver eva! Lol

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Exactly. Mate in Nick's opinion, Alan Jones is the best driver eva! Lol

PMSL

Quote:
    Nicholas H said:
    Quote:
    John H said:
    Quote:
    Nicholas H said:
    Quote:
    John H said:
    Quote:
    Nicholas H said:

2 out of 3 yes' to your questions, but I wont answer in full. Lets just agree to disagree. Seeing your British I understand where youre coming from.

No!..I won't agree to disagree just yet I'm afraid. You've publicly insulted one of our greatest ever drivers and, if you wish to put an end to it, a public apology is required.

Ironically, your 'legend' Bruce McLaren (whom I admire) suffered from a hip disease leaving him with one leg shorter than the other and a lifelong limp. I wouldn't dream of mocking that!

Your "2 out of 3" answer to my questions is unsatisfactory. Why won't you answer in full?

I guess you're saying you've met him - so now expound, if you will, on just why you consider him to be an "old fool"

I have reasons for pursuing this issue....

@Nicholas H: I don't know you nor have I ever read any of your previous posts here on Rennteam and I have nothing personal against you. But, I have to say, I'm not very impressed by your description of Sir Stirling Moss as a 'limp footed old fool'.

One day, we will all grow old and while I personally hope to remain healthy (and not dependent on anyone else), I realise that I too may develop physical ailments and disabilities that hamper me in my day-to-day life. You may not like Moss for other reasons (which is entirely your right to choose) but I also believe that you shouldn't insult people who are old or who have physical disabilities. It comes across to me as being a cowardly thing to say. Really ignoble in fact.

Even if you suspect that he eschews using his walking stick in front of cameras (while actually depending on it when not in front of the cameras), did it ever occur to you that it is because he is a proud man who doesn't want to look weak and frail in front of others (even though age and ill health have caught up on him).

What you wrote was very disappointing and indeed appalling. While nobody here can force you to take back your words and/or apologise, I humbly believe it behoves you to do so in the hope that it will preserve and boost your respect in the eyes of others here (that is, if you value your credibility).

If you choose to dig your heels in, I really perceive that to be a sign of weakness. It's okay to admit you spoke carelessly, you know. People will respect you more if you admit your mistake and show you are a bigger person than they initially thought of you.

I'm sorry if this post sounds like I'm lecturing you. I don't mean it to come across that way.

Moss did win 16 F1 races and for that, he has earned at least a minimum level of respect.

Here is Moss's entry in Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling_Moss

Have you done anything special enough to earn you an entry in Wikipedia?

What a bunch of farking self righteous whinging Poms!
    I've met him several times, and he has driven for ME in the past! Get off your high stools children and wake up to yourselves.
    I have a Limp incurred thru driving and laugh at it, unfortunately you people obviously have so sense of humor!!
    And sorry but Wikipedia does'nt really float my boat, I have better things credited to myself and therefore am telling you pessimistic, humorless little toads to go stick it up your self righteous puckers!
    Considering you have so much national pride, why are you both driving German cars?
    All in all, this is the reason why the internet and the world in general has spiralled into a pool of slime. Cause of people like you! Unable to take humor appropriately and reacts to anything of the sort as gross discrimination.
    Go lube your lips and kiss up to Lewis whilst your defending someone you dont know!
    Im sorry if this post sounds like I'm abusing you. I dont mean it to come across that way.....

No offence to anyone else.
    Farewell.

Guys relax, Nick isn't serious about it. I know Nick well and he isn't insulting Moss. As Aussies we often talk in a joking fashion, which obviously doesn't come through well on the internet. Just relax guys. No harm done.

Just the vulgar answer I was expecting....

@Nicholas H: How predictable! I knew you'd respond like this. You had the chance to show you were a bigger person than you'd led us to believe but, no, you showed that those were indeed your true colours. The way you've behaved is not only disgusting but also very stubborn. Any 3rd person here can draw their own conclusions about what kind of person would mock an old or disabled person.

No one is defending Moss because of national pride so what country our cars come from has nothing to do with it. You insulted a well respected man because he is old and disabled. You must be blind not to realise why what you wrote triggered this reaction. Are you this obtuse in your personal life? Have the women you've been involved with (and I would imagine later broken up with) all complained about your inconsiderate and insensitive behaviour? I would put money on it.

If understanding the Aussie 'sense of humour' means condoning insults and vulgar comments then no thanks, you can keep it.

Knowing someone (especially if they worked for you) doesn't give you the right to insult them publicly. But then if you don't realise that, what does that say about the way you have been brought up? I'm sure even in Australia you have defamation laws to deter ignorant people from mouthing off about someone else whenever they feel like it.

By the way, what does Lewis Hamilton have to do with this? Does your tongue strike in any random direction?

Have you practised hard all your life to be like this or is it genetic? If it's the latter, then you have my commiserations since nothing can be done I'd be resentful about my genetic inheritance though.

By the way, a 'whinging Pom' is a Brit who left the UK to settle in Australia, hated it there and then returned back to the UK. John H and I don't fall into that category. But since when did the facts come in your way?

But if you're calling all us Brits 'whinging Poms' just because we're British then I'd be entirely justified in making stereotypical comments about you too, wouldn't I? Even you'll be able to understand that logic.

I won't answer the rest of the cr*p in your last email. While I feel strongly about this, it's just not worth the effort.

I don't buy your answer mate

@WAY: that's just utter rubbish mate.

We all know that Aussies jokingly insult people (e.g. calling someone a "bast*rd" when joking around with them etc) and we all know that's apparently 'normal' amongst certain people in Australia. But, basically, it's boorish and common.

It's why the Aussies are so good at sledging in cricket. As you said, it's normal for Aussies to slag other people off while apparently joking. In cricket, Steve Waugh calls it engaging in 'mental disintegration'. I think it's just bad sportsmanship and a sign of low character. When the Indian cricket team recently gave the Aussies as good as they got (in the game itself and also with their own sledging), the moaning Aussies just couldn't take it. They're good at dishing it out but bad at taking it. If I called you a 'm*ther-f*cking w*nker' and then said I was only joking, you wouldn't buy it either.

It's why so many people in Britain have such a low opinion of Aussie people. After all, historically, only convicted criminals and the worst dregs of British society ended up there. Today, British people who haven't been able to succeed in the UK yearn for a new life in Australia where they can run away from the messed up lives they desperately want to leave behind.

But, mate, how you can defend someone who insults old or disabled people is frankly disappointing.

I suppose the test of whether you genuinely believe in what you were saying is whether you'll take my comments in good spirit or whether you'll take them personally

Australian Tourism

Tourism Australia was ridiculed in the world's media not long ago for a global TV ad campaign encouraging overseas visitors to come to Australia with the welcoming words "Well, so where the bloody hell are you?"

That may be acceptable in Australia but it was a massive blunder internationally. I guess that story speaks volumes for how Australian society has such low standards of speech and behaviour and how naively Australians miscalculate the effect their words and actions have when interacting with people from more sophisticated nations.

http://www.wherethebloodyhellareyou.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/So_where_the_bloody_hell_are_you%3F

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/12/21/2124738.htm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/now-the-bloody-yanks-are-offended/2006/03/23/1143083882873.html

Re: Australian Tourism

easy_rider911, I find this rather amusing. Look who is being insulting now? At least I could see what Nick wrote was in jest (which obviously doesn't translate well to you), perhaps because you don't know him. You on the other hand, is just trying to plain insult Australia and it's people. Whatever floats your boat dude. I own a company in the UK and have many staff there, I respect them and they respect their Australian colleague. Nick owns a house in Knightsbridge and spends a lot of time in London. How well do you know Australia? Maybe you would change your mind if you spend more time here. But do I care if you don't? Not really. I am not into using fighting words on an internet forum. If you have an issue, have a beer with us when we are in London next.

Quote:
    Nicholas H said:
    What a bunch of farking self righteous whinging Poms!
    I've met him several times, and he has driven for ME in the past! Get off your high stools children and wake up to yourselves.
    I have a Limp incurred thru driving and laugh at it, unfortunately you people obviously have so sense of humor!!
    And sorry but Wikipedia does'nt really float my boat, I have better things credited to myself and therefore am telling you pessimistic, humorless little toads to go stick it up your self righteous puckers!
    Considering you have so much national pride, why are you both driving German cars?
    All in all, this is the reason why the internet and the world in general has spiralled into a pool of slime. Cause of people like you! Unable to take humor appropriately and reacts to anything of the sort as gross discrimination.
    Go lube your lips and kiss up to Lewis whilst your defending someone you dont know!
    Im sorry if this post sounds like I'm abusing you. I dont mean it to come across that way.....

No offence to anyone else.
    Farewell.

Well...well, surprise...surprise, you're either drunk or a total twat - I favour the latter!!

You've utterly missed the whole point which is 'respect' and are now trying to put it down to humour.

Your 'attack is the best defence' method of response is pathetic and best described as inadequately phrased and irrelevant ranting.

A simple apology would have sufficed, especially as you say you've met the man. You may have engaged his services at a corporate event perhaps? If so, it just makes your description of him that much worse. I've known him for many years, partied with him and driven with him. He is an amazing man - even now at 78 he has more energy and good sense than most have at half his age.

I have no intention of dragging myself down to your level for more pointless interaction. You're obviously a moron and I'll leave it at that.

Quote:
    WAY said:
    easy_rider911, I find this rather amusing. Look who is being insulting now? At least I could see what Nick wrote was in jest (which obviously doesn't translate well to you), perhaps because you don't know him. You on the other hand, is just trying to plain insult Australia and it's people. Whatever floats your boat dude. I own a company in the UK and have many staff there, I respect them and they respect their Australian colleague. Nick owns a house in Knightsbridge and spends a lot of time in London. How well do you know Australia? Maybe you would change your mind if you spend more time here. But do I care if you don't? Not really. I am not into using fighting words on an internet forum. If you have an issue, have a beer with us when we are in London next.

Way, I can understand your urge to defend your 'friend', but no one could interpret his description as jesting - especially as there were no Icons or Graemlins inserted in his post!

I know Australians quite well actually. More than half my family reside there as a matter of fact. I also employ Aussies and many other nationalities.

This is not about where anyone comes from, it's about common courtesy and decency.

Or at least it was until 'your friend' decided to change that.

Hi John, I am an easy going guy so I am not interested in getting into a fight with anyone on the Internet - who I don't know in person. So instead, I will make a joke out of what you wrote above...I don't know what to make of your family, because according to Easy_rider911, "Today, British people who haven't been able to succeed in the UK yearn for a new life in Australia where they can run away from the messed up lives they desperately want to leave behind.". Oh hang on, maybe they have been here for a long time and are "convicted criminals and the worst dregs of British society"? And yes, before anyone gets sensitive about it, it was definitely a joke. I am just taking the advice of your signature - "Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Hi John, I am an easy going guy so I am not interested in getting into a fight with anyone on the Internet - who I don't know in person. So instead, I will make a joke out of what you wrote above...I don't know what to make of your family, because according to Easy_rider911, "Today, British people who haven't been able to succeed in the UK yearn for a new life in Australia where they can run away from the messed up lives they desperately want to leave behind.". Oh hang on, maybe they have been here for a long time and are "convicted criminals and the worst dregs of British society"? And yes, before anyone gets sensitive about it, it was definitely a joke. I am just taking the advice of your signature - "Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out."

Way - I have no gripe with you at present, but I will have if you continue to use my family as a butt for a cheap joke which isn't remotely funny!

Moderators, where are you?

John H, apologies if I offended you. No such intention. I just wanted to illustrate how silly Easy_rider911's response was. Don't get pissed with me for qouting what was said by someone else. If you read my original reponse above, you will see that all I was trying to do was to calm the situation, but Easy_rider911 decided to attack me and Australia in his response instead. If you want to get pissed at someone, direct it at the person who wrote it in the first place. What he is calling your family/other British people in Australia is also a direct attack on me and other Australian. Anyway, this is the last response from me on this. We are here to talk cars/drivers/bikes/any fast things so I am happy to just forget the whole thing and move on. I am sure you, me and Easy_rider911 are bigger people than this and things have just been written at the heat of the moment!

I'm shocked at seeing MS at #11!
    My criteria for a great f1 champion, is one who wins the championship in NOT the best car of that season. Schumacher did it twice with Bennetton and Prost did it once with McLaren against Nigel and Williams.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762898 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435609 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260638 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257658 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80974 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5322 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872512 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807923 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM