Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

What are the best winter tires?

I know it's way early but I've also heard that manufacturers can run out of stock on the best Winter Tires during the Fall. I have Champion wheels on my car now running the stock Michelin tires. I kept the 19" factory wheels so I just need to purchase Winter Tires that will fit the factory wheels & TPMS sensors to have 2 set-ups. That way I can minimize wear (salt etc.) on my custom wheels by running the winter set-up December through February.

What does everyone run for Winter? I dont want/need a tire for heavy snow (if they even make one for 19" wheels) I just need something that will be safer on my car during light snow fall in case I'm already at work w/ the car and it begins to snow. I really dont plan on taking it out when there is already loads of snow on the streets I have an SUV for that. Just want something that will work in a few inches and at lower temperatures....... tia~

Re: What are the best winter tires?

I've used Good Eagle Ultra Grip's on my M3, and they were on par with the Pirelli 210's. You'll notice the cars handling differ on sweeping corners just because of the nature of the rubber compound. I wouldn't buy Conti's myself, but they are often on Porsche and BMW factory winter tire sets.

Having said all of that, if I were buying a set for my 997 I would go with the Pirelli's as I had a good experience with them and I would bet the Eagle's don't come in the size you need.

I've been running the Nokian WR N0 on the stock 19" wheels this winter. These are on the 'approved' list from Porsche. They are officially all-season, but they have the extreme weather "snowflake in the mountain" symbol.

Bottom line: they are great. I don't feel any squirm, they grip pretty well in the cold and dry or wet, and work really well in the snow. And because they are all seasons, I'm not worried about them falling apart like winter tires if I get a little heat into them

My car is a DD and needs to make it home in the cold/wet/snow. I've had zero issues taking the turbo out in the snow.

I have the conti winter tires, N rated, made for the turbo. Got mine from TR last summer. I have them mounted on some 997 c4s rims that fit perfectly. no issues at all this winter. these are the recommended winter tires.

Go with Nokian. Period.

What is WINTER???

So the Nokian WR N0 & Conti N would be the ones to choose from. Would the sizes be the same for either one?

davems, Chris - What sizes are you running?/ What size would I use on the factory wheels?

Should I wait till just before Fall to see if there is going to be any other Winter Tire launched or is it safe to bet that these 2 are the only ones to choose from? Any opinion as to which one is better?

I don't believe that the Nokians are available any longer for the 997TT. A friend here was looking for those but he had to settle for the Pirellis which he liked.

Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    I've used Good Eagle Ultra Grip's on my M3, and they were on par with the Pirelli 210's. You'll notice the cars handling differ on sweeping corners just because of the nature of the rubber compound. I wouldn't buy Conti's myself, but they are often on Porsche and BMW factory winter tire sets.

Having said all of that, if I were buying a set for my 997 I would go with the Pirelli's as I had a good experience with them and I would bet the Eagle's don't come in the size you need.

These are the Pirelli's on Tire Rack's site:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...=93VR9240SZXLN1

This is cool to keep the 2nd set of wheels/tires in while in storage:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+...vals&page=1

I bought mine last fall from TR in the standard winter sizes: 235/35v19 and 295/30v19. They run out pretty fast, so I'm not surprised that they are NLA this season. Since TR don't normally carry Nokians, you'll need to call for the Porsche package.

BTW Nokian still lists these sizes on their website, so I don't think they've been discontinued. Just NLA from TR at this time.

BTW there's a thread on Rennlist in the wheel/tire forum from Damon@TR. He posted in Sept on the availability of n-spec winter tires including the Nokians.

NLA? Not available????????

Thanks, I'm going to look for that thread.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    This is cool to keep the 2nd set of wheels/tires in while in storage:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+...vals&page=1

This is a nice addition too

TireRack Rack

That is nice.
    Too bad I cant get myself to feel comfortable hanging ANYTHING except posters on the walls in my garage next to my sports cars.

235/35/19 and 295/30/19 I believe, yes they will fit your stock rims and work with your tpms.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    NLA? Not available????????

NLA = no longer available. In this case, I'm assuming that would be NLA this season. I hope that TR has them again next fall.

I have the Conti's they're called TS810S I believe. I love the TT with snows in the winter, lots of fun.

Been calling around & after 2 days found a pair of NOKIAN'S WR NO for my Turbo.

235/35/19

295/30/19

Not such a bad deal either - $1296 total delivered.  I had them look at the 4 tires to confirm the NO certification (thanks to one of RC's posts) .................................................................... Dont know if this is true but was told they were the last set of WR NO's in the country.  

Ordered TPMS sensors/Valves too so I'll have 2 complete sets of wheels & tires.

Champion wheels w/ PS2's for Spring, Summer, Fall, Early Winter

Factory wheels w/ Nokian's for December, January, February.  

Now I need to find a good quality low profile jack.........Any recommendations? 

--

08 Porsche Turbo Cab

06 Ferrari 430

04 Durango Hemi

04 HD Screamin Eagle

93 HD Nostalgia

I had to answer the same question this year. Following my due diligence I ordered the Pirelli SottoZero II. These tires seem to be the best available for Porsche to date (assuming limited snow). For heavy snow the Nokian's should be the better alternative, though.

Sears has several low profile jacks, esp nice aluminum racing one around 300$.
    --
    Chris '07 997 TT Midnight on Sea '03 996 C4S gone

I had the Pirelli Sotozero put on yesterday and will be picking up the car on Friday afternoon. 

I am looking forward to giving them a good run and will report back. It was a tossup for me between these and the Alpins. I just wanted to make sure whatever I got that I could get a spare if I blew one out. I don't think I would be comfortable buying any kind of tire for my daily driver that was in limited supply. Rims = yes, tires = no. Especially not on a car that doesn't carry a spare!  

Too early , too early  Smiley I woke up today to find out that 5 min from my place, there is snow !!!!!Smiley Roads are covered ! But it should pass......

All the winter tyres mentioned before will be good for light snow. I have been using the Nokian, but they are more for heavy snow. I would go  with eather the Pirelli or the Good Year . Just make sure up to what speed they are approved.

--
    997 C4S (-20mm) +  997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

For snow and/or temperatures below 5°C, the Nokian N-rated version for the 997 Turbo is probably the best choice.

If you don't have much snow but cold winters anyway, do not go with the Nokian. The Nokian is not so good on dry pavement, especially when temperatures rise above 5°C.

At temperatures above 5°C, the Nokian doesn't feel to precise, it feels somehow "soft" and it seems to lack sidegrip.

For snowy regions and temperatures below 0°C, the Nokian is definetely the best choice.

Funny thing: Porsche didn't offer a good winter tire for our Cayenne Turbo S almost two years ago. The Pirelli Scorpion sucked bigtime, it was the only approved tire in 19'' at that time.

So I exchanged the Pirelli with a non-N rated Nokian according to the advice of a Porsche engineer who apparently has tested this tire in Weissach.

Wow, what a difference on snow, especially braking was much improved. Unfortunately I learned very fast why Porsche didn't choose this tire for the Cayenne, it wasn't just precise enough on dry pavement, the same "soft" feel and missing sidegrip on dry and somehow warm pavement. The 2nd generation of the Cayenne has a much better choice of winter tires, for almost all purposes.

--
    RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

RC:

For snow and/or temperatures below 5°C, the Nokian N-rated version for the 997 Turbo is probably the best choice.

If you don't have much snow but cold winters anyway, do not go with the Nokian. The Nokian is not so good on dry pavement, especially when temperatures rise above 5°C.

At temperatures above 5°C, the Nokian doesn't feel to precise, it feels somehow "soft" and it seems to lack sidegrip.

For snowy regions and temperatures below 0°C, the Nokian is definetely the best choice.

Funny thing: Porsche didn't offer a good winter tire for our Cayenne Turbo S almost two years ago. The Pirelli Scorpion sucked bigtime, it was the only approved tire in 19'' at that time.

So I exchanged the Pirelli with a non-N rated Nokian according to the advice of a Porsche engineer who apparently has tested this tire in Weissach.

Wow, what a difference on snow, especially braking was much improved. Unfortunately I learned very fast why Porsche didn't choose this tire for the Cayenne, it wasn't just precise enough on dry pavement, the same "soft" feel and missing sidegrip on dry and somehow warm pavement. The 2nd generation of the Cayenne has a much better choice of winter tires, for almost all purposes.

--
    RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor 997 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo S, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

0C = 32F....... 5 C = 41 F....... 10C = 50F. 

10C lows are very rare in NY Jan/Feb NY, it may not even happen at all during Jan/Feb.  From what you describe it sounds like I made the right choice for my area. We're already at 4C here and it's only November 1. In NY during Jan/Feb most of the time we're 0C and below, sometimes even -10, -15 C .  If temps didnt stay below 0C,5C I probably wouldnt have bought snows, I may have just made do w/ the PS2's. Man I hate winter.

I got my Nokian WR NO's yesterday. Sick tread pattern. Just waiting for my TPMS sensors/valves to get them mounted.  When would you put them on your car if you lived in NY? I'm trying to decide when to do the switch. We always get snow but sometimes we dont see the stuff till January. In December we may or may not see snow but temps are usually at 0C lows or lower.     

img225/6129/tires1tf4.jpg

img143/3500/tires2wd2.jpg

img143/3654/tires3jk2.jpg

--

08 Porsche Turbo Cab

06 Ferrari 430

04 Durango Hemi

04 HD Screamin Eagle

93 HD Nostalgia

T Surgeon:
    Sears has several low profile jacks, esp nice aluminum racing one around 300$.
    --
    Chris '07 997 TT Midnight on Sea '03 996 C4S gone
    Sears does have some nice jacks.
    I wanted an AC Hydraulic DK13HLQ but they're impossible to buy anymore. Of course Jason hasn't responded to my requests that he sends me his. Amyway so I was going to buy a similiar jack ; the Omega 29023. There's a good comparison here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1814892

But I decided to buy the Arcan XL35 : http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...5429_200345429

It's a big, heavy duty jack- 110 lbs but has a low 3.5 inch profile w/ a 3.5 ton lifting capacity. The AC is a 1.4 ton. For also using it under my SUV the Arcan may be a better choice than the AC anyway. Cosco has them for $99, doesnt get much better than that for quality/lifting capacity & price wise imho. Going today to pick one up............ Found these 2 pics on the net:

--

08 Porsche Turbo Cab

06 Ferrari 430

04 Durango Hemi

04 HD Screamin Eagle

93 HD Nostalgia

I am putting Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2's in 255/40-18's on my Audi RS4 (on RS6 18" rims since these tires have higher profiles to protect the rims from winter potholes).  The MTM 19" rims I use in the summer get bent in winter driving with lower profile tires-I learned this the hard way last winter.  But my Porsche's will stay garaged-I keep the P's on a salt-free diet.
    --

1997 993 TT Proto 3.8L 700HP

2005 996 TSCab EVO GT700

2006 Noble M400 "M600" 573RWHP

2007 Audi RS4 MTM SC 540PS

Picked up the jack. Extremely well made. Made in the USA too. Also extremely heavy duty (110lbs) so if you need something light or compact this is not the jack. It's BIG. Guess overkill is better when it comes to lifting up your cars/trucks. I  put in a quart of oil for scale. I'm a sucker for new garage toys.  

3.5 Ton /Low Profile (3.5 inch) /21" max lift height 

ARCAN XL-35R (the R is for Red, my buddy has a black one)

img340/7562/jack1ir8.jpg

img221/8383/jack2pn9.jpg

img221/7227/jack3qf5.jpg

img521/5430/jack4ux7.jpg

img380/7819/jack5pd7.jpg

img380/2292/jack6te7.jpg

--

08 Porsche Turbo Cab

06 Ferrari 430

04 Durango Hemi

04 HD Screamin Eagle

93 HD Nostalgia

Ignoring tire brand for a moment, I'm curious to hear what would be the best SIZE for winter tires?

18 or 19 inch rim?

What wheel/tire width?

How much of a difference would size make? 

--
    "Rational arguments don't work on religious people, otherwise there'd be no religious people."-House

The more side wall the better in snow. Also narrower tires work better.

18's are better than 19's for snow.   

--

08 Porsche Turbo Cab

06 Ferrari 430

04 Durango Hemi

04 HD Screamin Eagle

93 HD Nostalgia

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691096 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410197 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256244 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235423 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65750 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4746 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858844 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775142 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM