Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Picked up my Turbo Cab!

ssswwwwoooooshhh

It sounds like these guys aren't using the newer VentureShield material. The newest one with clearcoating looks even better than the 3M material. I'd have them doublecheck to see if they've got that material. I've noticed that the 3M material has a bit of a orange peel to it.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    It sounds like these guys aren't using the newer VentureShield material. The newest one with clearcoating looks even better than the 3M material. I'd have them doublecheck to see if they've got that material. I've noticed that the 3M material has a bit of a orange peel to it.

I was there last night & we had a discussion about that. They are using the latest Ventureshield. Like I said the Ventureshield looks great on other colors but on Black when you compare them side by side on the very same car IMO the 3M looks better.

Gregg - I talked to Matt about the shield. I may have my car trucked there to have this installed as there are no "custom" installers in my area. The few around here use the precut kits. What did you do with your fenders. The drawing he sent me shows only the front part of the fenders to just about the rear end of the side markers being coated.

Also Jason, what about your fenders - just front or entire fender covered????

Seems like doing the entire hood but only doing the front of the fenders would look strange. To go to the extra expense to not have the line on the hood and then have it go across the top of the fenders doesn't seem to make sense.

Ok, it won't as obvious if you covered the entire hood and front fenders but when I had 3M material on just the front portion with a line across, the yellow tint in the 3M film caused my blue paint to look like they were two different shades of blue between the covered vs uncovered portion.

Here are a few pictures.

This is when I first got just my hood covered. You can see the line where the Ventureshield ends on my fender.

Where the line ends on my hood (top view)

Where the fender coverage ends (side view)

I've noticed that some places such as Premier, etc. tend to leave about 1" or even more from the edge. There's only about 5mm uncovered on mine.

Getting the fenders covered, they removed my headlights so the material would go inside the openings.

No more lines

Where the fender coverage ends

No lines ANYWHERE!

I was very impressed by BJ's work and would definitely recommend him for those in the NW. He also replaced my older VS material on my bumper but unfortunately the coverage due to the complex curves is not nearly as complete as the hood/fenders. Still very good.

So, my suggestion would be to make sure that Matt or anyone that installs your clear bra, cover as much as possible especially if you don't want any visible lines.

Quote:
    imcarnuts said:
    Gregg - I talked to Matt about the shield. I may have my car trucked there to have this installed as there are no "custom" installers in my area. The few around here use the precut kits. What did you do with your fenders. The drawing he sent me shows only the front part of the fenders to just about the rear end of the side markers being coated.

Also Jason, what about your fenders - just front or entire fender covered????

Seems like doing the entire hood but only doing the front of the fenders would look strange. To go to the extra expense to not have the line on the hood and then have it go across the top of the fenders doesn't seem to make sense.

DD is the best installer in the country so you'll be very happy. No pre-cut kits, everything is tucked into panels. They'll do whatever you want but the film has to stop somewhere and the only line that bothered me is the one across the hood. W/ Venturefilm you will see a line more evident then w/ 3M though. But if you want have them cover the entire hood & fenders. One of the nicest things they did with my car was to pull off the factory piece on the rear & install one piece that covers that area and then down to the rockers where your shoes usually hit & then inside the door jam to the outer sill, it really looks seamless now instead of having a piece stuck on the side that isnt tucked in anywhere.

Did over 300 miles today. Some of the miles w/ my wife & kids & top down.
    Man I love this thing!! Can you be in love w/ a car? Without a doubt the most fun car I've ever owned & I have yet to open it up. Called a meeting Monday at my factory upstate so I can drive it more. Want to get as many miles driven asap. Perfect weather for break-in too. The Tubi sings!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to be late for the congratulations, do not have much time at the moment!

Usually I am neither a fan of black cars or aftermarket add-ons, but your car is truly beautiful Regular black looks so much better than Basalt ! Plus I can really see now the car you had in mind while speccing it! It reminds me David Beckam's 997 TT Cab but from someone with good taste !

It is the perfect daily driver and with the F430 a perfect combo !

Again congrats !

Congratulations, Stradale. Good choice on the color!

Awesome spec Stradale! Looks mean! How do you like the 35% all-round tint?

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Congratulations, Stradale. Good choice on the color!

Thanks Alan! Sooooooooo glad I changed my order & went w/ Black.

Quote:
    ViperDriver said:
    Awesome spec Stradale! Looks mean! How do you like the 35% all-round tint?

I was just telling someone yesterday, the 35% is perfct. Not too dark, not too light. I looked at 20% & 50% too while at the shop, it's totally subjective of course but for me the 35% is jussssssssst right.

Quote:
    Ziggy said:
    Sorry to be late for the congratulations, do not have much time at the moment!

Usually I am neither a fan of black cars or aftermarket add-ons, but your car is truly beautiful Regular black looks so much better than Basalt ! Plus I can really see now the car you had in mind while speccing it! It reminds me David Beckam's 997 TT Cab but from someone with good taste !

It is the perfect daily driver and with the F430 a perfect combo !

Again congrats !

LoL!
    Thank you. I've never really been a fan of after-market stuff myself until recently which is strange because I thought as you get older you lose the desire to mod. a vehicle? But honestly it's the mods. that partly make owning this car so much more fun than my last 2 Porsche's, it becomes much more personal, makes it more exciting to look at & drive. That and another 150HP/200 ft/lbs lol! ...... I've dreamt about the 'F430/Turbo Cab combo' for yrs. I just dont see myself selling either one.... Hope it's not suppose to rain all day, I'm itchin to go for a drive!

Thanks again!

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Man I love this thing!! Can you be in love w/ a car? Without a doubt the most fun car I've ever owned & I have yet to open it up. Called a meeting Monday at my factory upstate so I can drive it more. Want to get as many miles driven asap. Perfect weather for break-in too. The Tubi sings!!!!!!!!!

Does that mean you prefer the 997 turbo over the F430?

Quote:
    amazon said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Does that mean you prefer the 997 turbo over the F430?

I do. If I could only have 1 sports car & it was between the F430 & the Turbo Cabriolet I'd choice the Turbo Cab. But it would have to be the Cabriolet, if it were between the Turbo Coupe & The F430 coupe I'd choose the F430. Logged another 250 mile's this am, getting enough miles now to start bringing the revs up a bit! Yahoo!

btw: Interesting but in the owners manual it says you shouldnt warm the car at idle when starting, that you should be prepared to drive off right away after starting. So this is what I've done since mile 1 but admit I would let my 997 S cab warm up a bit before driving off. What does everyone else do?

In my 997S X51 I never let the car idle...I just drive off.I had a 89 930 that would stay garaged all winter, and once a week I would get in it and let it idle to running temp and full oil temp and bip throttle a bit during the process.. The turbo and the heads (gaskets)developed leaks, the injectors dirtied, and my OPC ace tech guy told me I did more harm than good in this strategy. Should have just let it sit, with charger on battery.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    btw: Interesting but in the owners manual it says you shouldnt warm the car at idle when starting, that you should be prepared to drive off right away after starting. So this is what I've done since mile 1 but admit I would let my 997 S cab warm up a bit before driving off. What does everyone else do?

I used to warm up my car while idling years ago but since then I've gotten into the habit of driving right away albeit gently until the car gets up to optimal operating temps and then I "let her rip."

I don't sit at idle at start up, but do at the end of any drive, when I have time and particularly if the drive has been "exciting."
    As you probably already know, it's a good idea to let any turbo engine idle after a spirited drive to allow the turbine to cool off, as it has been spinning at a much higher rpm than the engine. At least that's what some mechanic told me.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    I don't sit at idle at start up, but do at the end of any drive, when I have time and particularly if the drive has been "exciting."
    As you probably already know, it's a good idea to let any turbo engine idle after a spirited drive to allow the turbine to cool off, as it has been spinning at a much higher rpm than the engine. At least that's what some mechanic told me.

Actually it mentions that in the manual as well; that you should let it idle a bit after a drive. It's interesting though regarding their recommendation to drive right off. You think that has something to do w/ the dry-sump? I looked in my F430 manual but didnt see any mention of the same but most guys I know let their F-cars warm up first.

Anyway, it's actually a very nice convenience, I mean who wants to sit there waiting for temps to come up before driving off.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

I used to warm up my car while idling years ago but since then I've gotten into the habit of driving right away albeit gently until the car gets up to optimal operating temps and then I "let her rip."

That's exactly what I've been doing since getting this car. Starting her, then driving off at low rpms until I get a temp reading, then gradually driving more aggressively. I was lucky to read the manual otherwise I wouldn't have driven the car correctly, I would have let her idle for a while before driving. Does anyone know if the 997 S manual recommends the same procedure of driving right off?

Quote:
    RAKLAW said:
    In my 997S X51 I never let the car idle...I just drive off.I had a 89 930 that would stay garaged all winter, and once a week I would get in it and let it idle to running temp and full oil temp and bip throttle a bit during the process.. The turbo and the heads (gaskets)developed leaks, the injectors dirtied, and my OPC ace tech guy told me I did more harm than good in this strategy. Should have just let it sit, with charger on battery.

I put my F430 away in winters on charger but when we get an unusual warm weekend day I correct tire pressure & take her for a drive. What does the manual say about your 997 S regarding start-up/drive away?

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    RAKLAW said:

I put my F430 away in winters on charger but when we get an unusual warm weekend day I correct tire pressure & take her for a drive. What does the manual say about your 997 S regarding start-up/drive away?

By memory, same as your Turbo start up.. do not idle just drive off, keeping revs down (no spirited driving)till oil at full operating temperature. (exact opposite of what i did with all prior US made musccle cars)

Quote:
    cannga said:

The long-lasting theory that warming up the engine at idle has been contradicted by some. Although you expose the engine to less stress and heat, it has to run in sub-optimal conditions (temperature, oil viscosity) for a longer period of time. The strategy to drive right off after start-up exposes the car to higher stresses which in return last for a shorter period of time. No matter which option you choose, a cold start will always put some load on the components, even though today's engines have been improved on these fields.

It is not the turbocharger revolutions per se that are critical after a spirited drive but the heat those parts have been exposed to. Shutting down the engine without cooling off these components will start the oil to crack since it does not circulate (and cool-down) anymore.

A little over a year we had this conversation about idling the car prior to driving. The general consensus at the end of the thread was: letting the car idle while it still was cold, loaded the catalytic with excess contaminants.

Quote:
    rhino said:
    [...] letting the car idle while it still was cold, loaded the catalytic with excess contaminants.

Should this make a significant difference? I rather have the impression that the catalytic converter itself has to reach operating temperature, which, just as the engine itself, will reach this temperature faster than under prolonged idle time.

I will do a search and see if I can come up with something. There was good info in that thread.
    I always drive the car when I turn it on, then don't pass 4k rpm until it's up to proper temp.

>>>Does anyone know if the 997 S manual recommends the same procedure of driving right off?

Gregg, straight from 997 Non-Turbo Manual (I don't have the Turbo manual with me at the moment. Does it say more or less the same thing?):

Starting Engine:

1. When starting the engine, be ready to drive immediately.
    Drive vehicle at moderate speeds and avoid engine speeds above 4200 rpm during first 5 minutes.
    2. Do not let the engine idle to warm up.

Stopping Engine:

1. Do not stop engine immediately after hard or extended driving.
    2. Keep engine running at increased idle for about 2 minutes to prevent excessive heat build-up before turning off engine.

Ferdie, thanks for the clarification. "Oil to crack" means the oil structure broke down or something like that?

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    ...Shutting down the engine without cooling off these components will start the oil to crack since it does not circulate (and cool-down) anymore.

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Ferdie, thanks for the clarification. "Oil to crack" means the oil structure broke down or something like that?

Can, from my understanding the molekular chains of some ingredients do not survive temperatures and will coke if exposed to more than a couple hundret degrees Centigrade. Exhaust emissions in turbocharged gas engines can reach more than 1050* C (what's that in Fahrenheit?) opposed to 800* C in turbocharged diesel engines. Please note that I am no expert in chemistry though.

Catalytic converters need about 250 to 300* C to fully operate, so several strategies from placement in further proximity of the engine, heatshields, heating installation (used in the Alpina B12) or alterations in the engine and gearbox management (Mercedes employed a strategy in their four-cylinder engines a decade ago, attaining high RPM during warmup cycles). If you drive right off, from my understanding, the exhaust fumes will heat up the converter rather quickly. If you let the car idle for a prolonged time, the emissions cannot be fully processed inside the converter, albeit the stresses will not differ that much.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    cannga said:

Actually it mentions that in the manual as well; that you should let it idle a bit after a drive. It's interesting though regarding their recommendation to drive right off. You think that has something to do w/ the dry-sump? I looked in my F430 manual but didnt see any mention of the same but most guys I know let their F-cars warm up first.

Anyway, it's actually a very nice convenience, I mean who wants to sit there waiting for temps to come up before driving off.

That's recommended for all the cars here. Something to do with the engine not getting to working temperature just sitting there and thus wearing out quickly.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    783537 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    443222 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263601 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    262196 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    86256 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6070 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881935 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    821041 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM