Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: TUBI

Also, are you getting a BMC air filter? Manu told me the car sounded better with one on. The car in pic doesn't have that though. I was taken out for a spin in it a few weeks ago.

I was thinking about getting the Works Air filter

Quote:
    bingo said:
    Hi Stradale I have just spoken to Scuderia and they will send me a photo of one of there installs in the next hour or so, he told me that they only differance in the ones I am getting is that they are not quiet as long,and they are made by Tubi, takes about 2 weeks for delivery to UK also said you could order them from him mand he would ship to USA, as for the carbon mirrors I got top and bottom, 980 GBP I will post photo when it arrives,

Thanks. That's really interesting. Congrats! I'm going to wait & see what happens, I want tips that look like the ones in this pic. If Tubi doesnt come out w/ them I'll keep my stockers.

Quote:
    bingo said:
    I was thinking about getting the Works Air filter

Did you buy the IPD Plenum yet? If not I'd get it before the Airbox but both would be even better, that box looks awesome.

Quote:
    bingo said:
    This is what I have just received from Scuderia UK

Hi Chris,

Attached is the picture of the car we fitted the tips to. Unfortunately the car wasn't very clean!

The tips we have ordered for our customers will be slightly shorter in length (so will be more flush with the bumper). Even so you are only talking about a difference of 10mm.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Regards,
    Ajay

Ajay Mehta
    Scuderia Systems (UK) Limited
    Claymore House
    8 High Street
    Egham
    Surrey TW20 9EA
    United Kingdom

Tel: 44 (0)1784 43 43 94/95
    Fax: 44 (0)1784 43 43 90
    Mob: 44 (0)7944 772 948

www.tubistyle.co.uk
    www.scuderiasystems.com

All I can do is post a photo of mine when they come with the tubi packaging.maybe here in 2 weeks ??

Thanks Bingo. These tips look nice. Let's see if they become available in USA.

Quote:
    bingo said:
    Off topic but I have just recieved these carbom mirrors from Par Uk, ''champion werks'' NICE

Bingo - I just checked w/ Champion. Are you sure they are Champion Werks? This from Champion:

"We are not planning on designing CF mirrors. We have considered it but I don't think we are going to follow through with it."

I've seen those pictures you posted of the CF mirrors w/ the blue background before, cant remember where but maybe it was from Cargraphic

I thought I saw those pics before:

http://www.cargraphic.de/index.php?/s,6,7,18,2987,3097/o,article,2252/

My mistake, they are cargraphic, here is the link below,

http://www.cargraphic.com/index.php?/s,6,7,18,2987,3097/

Quote:
    bingo said:
    My mistake, they are cargraphic, here is the link below,

http://www.cargraphic.com/index.php?/s,6,7,18,2987,3097/

They're very cool. On my list of things to do. I like your style buying parts before your car is even built, that's what I did too. Had a pile of boxes w/ new parts prior to my cars arrival. Plus I knew if I bought them before my car was delivered & asked nicely enough my dealer would install them at delivery for no charge (it's the best time to ask for freebies). $0 cost to install my Tubi, Plenum & trim strip.

Stradale,I spoke to my OPC last week and asked if the would install my tubi, mirrors etc and they said NO, they will not touch none Porsche parts,so no freebies for me,, what are the advantages of the plenum ?

Quote:
    bingo said:
    Stradale,I spoke to my OPC last week and asked if the would install my tubi, mirrors etc and they said NO, they will not touch none Porsche parts,so no freebies for me,, what are the advantages of the plenum ?

Bummer. What will it cost for the exhaust install then?

Like how an after-market exhaust helps the Turbo exhale better, the Plenum will help the car inhale more efficiently, reducing Turbo Lag & producing more power. The stock Plenum is T-shaped, it's not the most effective way of channeling air into the engine. The shape of the IPD plenum smooths out the air flow and allows more air to enter the throttle body, intake manifold etc. It should give you approx. 20-30HP at the wheels. IMO it's the best power for the buck available. Below are some pics that you may find interesting. The dyno below was from a car that also had an ECU, etc. so dont expect a 43hp gain. If you're going to do the exhaust imo it makes A LOT of sense to also do the plenum, that's the only 2 power type mods on my car. You're also replacing a black plastic piece w/ a very high quality aluminum part that matches the intake. Guys here that have installed the plenum after being used to the power of their cars will tell you it's a difference you can actually feel in how the car responds. The only thing that makes me a little nervous for you is that your Porsche dealer wont install simple bolt-on mods. that tells me they may give you issues w/ warranty repairs so something to consider.

You can get one here, ask for Greg & tell him Gregg from New york sent you - Road Sport Supply:
    http://www.roadsportsupply.com/IPD_Plenums_Porsche.html

This pic shows an IPD plenum from a 996 Turbo (the 997 turbo part looks similiar) to the stock plenum

How it works

CFM

Plenum Dyno

pd2

plenum on my car

What the 997 Turbo Plenum looks like_

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

I was almost completely convinced the plenum was worth the cost until a couple of days ago when I bought a heavy duty clutch from a very reputable tuner (other than mine) and asked him by the way what he thought about the plenum. He said that they dynoed it on their heavily modified car with upgraded VTGs/ecu/exhaust etc. and the results were kind of disappointing: (about 10hp at most to the wheels).
    Go figure

Quote:
    AAHTT said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

I was almost completely convinced the plenum was worth the cost until a couple of days ago when I bought a heavy duty clutch from a very reputable tuner (other than mine) and asked him by the way what he thought about the plenum. He said that they dynoed it on their heavily modified car with upgraded VTGs/ecu/exhaust etc. and the results were kind of disappointing: (about 10hp at most to the wheels).
    Go figure

Yeah well, I guess you're always going to get varied results w/ every single mod. Look at the dyno above w/ the same mods as your example and it produced 43HP. I think somewhere in between (20HP) is probably what most guys would get. Matter of fact that's exactly what I've been told to expect on a stock Turbo, 20-30hp. Even at the lowest heard of so far your guys "10hp" at the wheels it's still worth it imo because it's not just about adding top range HP. It's also reduces turbo lag & brings power earlier. But the range of HP increases will vary from car to car depending on how that individual drives, etc. There's not another mod that I know of that will make a difference in how the car responds, power that you can actually feel for $1k.

Another thing to consider AAHTT is that unlike the 996 Turbo Plenum which adapts immediately,,, the plenum for the 997 Turbo needs 50+ miles to adapt. So that could be a reason for the less than avg. HP increase your tuner got, depending on how many miles were driven w/ the plenum before testing, if any.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Another thing to consider AAHTT is that unlike the 996 Turbo Plenum which adapts immediately,,, the plenum for the 997 Turbo needs 50+ miles to adapt. So that could be a reason for the less than avg. HP increase your tuner got, depending on how many miles were driven w/ the plenum before testing, if any.

that's a good point, I did not ask him if the plenum was "broken in" although some people here think it should be immediate.
    I migth end up getting this thing anyway

Thanks to Larry for this information:

Stock is 1 lb 8.5 oz, IPD plenum is 2 + lbs. The IPD plenum is a little more than a pound heavier than stock.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

I just broke and ordered the stupid thing, thanks a lot
    next week, it is racing clutch and intake plenum install, where does it end

Racing clutch? Which one is that? I've actually wondered if it'd be beneficial for me to replace mine with the Sach2 clutch and a lightweight flywheel when the time comes to replace my oem clutch. I'm wondering what this "racing clutch" you're getting is.

And, you can't go wrong with this "mod". You'll be happy with it especially with your protomotive/cargraphic setup!

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Racing clutch? Which one is that? I've actually wondered if it'd be beneficial for me to replace mine with the Sach2 clutch and a lightweight flywheel when the time comes to replace my oem clutch. I'm wondering what this "racing clutch" you're getting is.

And, you can't go wrong with this "mod". You'll be happy with it especially with your protomotive/cargraphic setup!

Jason, I have been researching the clutch issue for months now ever since it started slipping with ecu/exhaust in 6th gear. After the turbo upgrade the slippage became worse and now even in 3rd gear. To make a long story short, Sachs makes 3 different "racing" setups for the turbo with different torque ratings. The weakest setup is probably what is used on the stock car in oem form, good for around 680Nm, the next setup is what's called the sachs 2 which includes a heavy duty pressure plate and a disc with special coating, good for almost 800NM.
    The strongest sachs kit or sachs 3, includes the same heavy duty plate but a sintered disc good for over 860NM.
    the sachs 2 has stock drivability but the sachs 3 has some chattering on takeoff and was not recommended to me even with my power level.
    The sachs 2 is the best compromise in my case as long as I don't drag race the car.
    A stock car does not need an upgraded clutch so unless you are planning tuning as well, there is no need for that I think.
    btw, all sachs kits can be used with the oem flywheel which I am keeping to preserve stock drivability.

Yes, I am going through the same decision process regarding the clutches myself.

I have been told a sintered disc would be a nightmare on the roads and that a light weight flywheel would not be good either. Both great on the track, but going away from the OEM clutch feel though. The LWFW gives an unbalanced idle feel apparently.

I have also been told that the Sach 2 kit (organic drive plate + coverplate + bearing) is good for just under 900Nm. So this is the one I have been considering also.

Shavster on this site will be fitting the satge 2 kit to his DMS chipped Turbo in a couple of weeks, so I am hoping he can give us a good review afterwards.

Quote:
    AAHTT said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

that's a good point, I did not ask him if the plenum was "broken in" although some people here think it should be immediate.

Greg at RSS will tell you the same thing; the 997 Turbo needs 50+ miles to adapt to the plenum. Congrats! Bet you will be very happy.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    AAHTT said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

Greg at RSS will tell you the same thing; the 997 Turbo needs 50+ miles to adapt to the plenum. Congrats! Bet you will be very happy.

He did and he made me an offer I couldn't refuse.
    I will share my impressions as soon as the install and the 50 miles are completed, which should be less than an hour later

Quote:
    AAHTT said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    AAHTT said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:

He did and he made me an offer I couldn't refuse.
    I will share my impressions as soon as the install and the 50 miles are completed, which should be less than an hour later

If it doesnt make the power you expect return it for a full refund. Looking forward to hearing your impressions!!!

Thanks for the updates regarding the clutch issue. When the time comes to replace the clutch, I'll be going with Sach2 as per your suggestion (everyone else recommends Sach2 as well). Not sure if I'll go with the LWFW yet. A friend has it in his 996 and I didn't think it sounded too bad but I LOVED the way the revs would FLY with that thing in place!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 3:43 AM
    rhino
    802720 1804
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448412 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265943 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89953 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6427 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885414 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832354 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM