Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

FAKE exhaust tips on 997S? THIS bothers me

You see those wannabe pontiacs with the Y on the tail pipe to fake the look of an engine that really requires quad exhaust? They are soooo silly.

Now WHY would Porsche put those on the 997S?

Form follows function right? No need to make the car LOOK beefier than it is? To me it is a step DOWNWARD to do such a cheap trick with the S.

Please tell me I'm wrong. I haven't seen one in real life, just photos.

Re: FAKE exhaust tips on 997S? THIS bothers me

The S exhaust tips..are not WANNA BE!!!

in real looks great!!

When you see it you will love it!!

ciaoo

Quote:
    MaxErnst said:
    You see those wannabe pontiacs with the Y on the tail pipe to fake the look of an engine that really requires quad exhaust?

I'm positive 99.9% of them don't want to fake the engine, they just want quad exhaust because it looks good

Who in the right mind would think porsche put quad exhaust to make the S appear to have a V8?
    They look good. That's it.

I don't understand people.. just want to complain..What's wrong with quad exhaust? Does it hurt the performance of the car in any way?
    Why don't you complain about the resonator box automakers are puttin in their cars, in order to sound better? That's fake and wannabe too, right? Because it 'fakes' performance?

BTW, check out this wannabe

Hey Guys! Porsche: Ultimate form follows function, right?

You design an exhaust system.

The designers determine the thing requires quad exhaust, you build the car with quads.

That's the "persuit of perfection" and excellence is expected" of Porsche.

You don't have some marketing guys tell the stylists to slap on some fake quad tail pipes when the exhaust/muffler only has two single pipes sticking out of it.

It just ISN'T what I EXPECT from Porsche!!!

The only possible saving grace is that the is that the plain s has a wide looking tip, maybe the "wideness" of the quads is justified by the exhaust design?

Re: Hey Guys! Porsche: Ultimate form follows function, right?

Quote:
    MaxErnst said:
    You don't have some marketing guys tell the stylists to slap on some fake quad tail pipes when the exhaust/muffler only has two single pipes sticking out of it.

It just ISN'T what I EXPECT from Porsche!!!

The only possible saving grace is that the is that the plain s has a wide looking tip, maybe the "wideness" of the quads is justified by the exhaust design?

Answer this question: how would Tequipment sell different different retrofit exhaust tips (like the chromed ones due around end of this year) if they don't fit easily?
    I agree, the quad exhaust tips are FAKE, right, I can confirm it and it bothered me too. But would people have been more happy if the 997 S just got the same exhaust tips as the 997?

Cheer up a little bit, the 997 Carrera S is not made of exhaust tips only, there are really some good things on this car too.

Re: Hey Guys! Porsche: Ultimate form follows function, right

Quote:
    RC said:But would people have been more happy if the 997 S just got the same exhaust tips as the 997?

If I were given a choice, yes, but thats just my opinion, I like the unnecesary fake stuff to the minimum, even if it looks like a "lower" model instead, I don't care. They don't even have to put the exact ones that are on the 997, they could make a different design, like oval or round, but not a "fake" quad. Changing wheel design is OK, you are not pretending anything its not, and though the quad exhaust on the 997S is beautifil no doubt, thats not the problem, the problem is that quad exhausts belong to 8 cil engines and up, they are the ones that can flaunt it, there is not reason for it in a 6cil even if it looks good. Just like the redundant crono clock sticking out on the middle of the whole dash when there is a PCM screen thats more functional and discrete, and the 19" wheels if they are not beter than the 18" in the end. But I agree, in the end that its just a small detail thats not going to take my sleep away at night
    Its OK now, but I just wouldn't like this tendency to continue further... I'm not a fan of chrome wheels and fake grills not on Porsche's STANDARD equipment anyway (tequipment is OK)

Re: Hey Guys! Porsche: Ultimate form follows function, right

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Quote:
    RC said:But would people have been more happy if the 997 S just got the same exhaust tips as the 997?

If I were given a choice, yes, but thats just my opinion, I like the unnecesary fake stuff to the minimum, even if it looks like a "lower" model instead, I don't care.

That's a true P-car lover talking!

unless...

Quote:
    ... quad exhausts belong to 8 cil engines and up

could it be that this is the prelude for a 998 flat8?

and a true P-car lover also says:

Quote:
    ...and the 19" wheels if they are not beter than the 18"

Are the quad pipes on the BMW E46 M3 fake like this also (straight 6-cyl)?

Re: Hey Guys! Porsche: Ultimate form follows function, right?

Quote:
    RC said:
    But would people have been more happy if the 997 S just got the same exhaust tips as the 997?

I would have been happy if the tips were the same as on the GT3. But a lot of buyers in this market want something new and different, even if there isn't a reason for it to be new and different. Porsche is no good to us if they can't sell cars.

Quote:
    Grant said:

Yeah, thats even more silly IMO, its not even a V6 or F6 at least with separate cilinder banks, its a straight 6

Most quadpipes in V8 are fake nowadays I believe anyway, not a fan but but at least they are V8's. The V10's I can think of have all dual exhaust pipes (CGT, Gallardo, Viper). Only some of the V12's have real quad pipes I believe which is a far cry from a 6 cil, will the Boxster S get quad pipes too?

i saw a boxster with 2 turbo tips welded together for a 4 tip exhuast tip all in the center, looked horrendous.

that reminds me isn't the 996 turbo's 'quad' exhuast also just 2 tips with 2 tips each? ...

its all about looks baby :

Quote:
    Moogle said:

It's now... because PAG seems to be guided by the poseur crowd, instead of guiding them.

in the end you have to admit that the exhuast tips, no matter how many fake outletes,

plated with chrome/titanium/pimp gold/faux tiger furr, whatever

are still a small part of the car that doesn't affect performance.

so comparatively, it is not that big of a deal. the largest reason for the tips was likely to differentiate the 997S from the 997base.

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:

Yeah, thats even more silly IMO, its not even a V6 or F6 at least with separate cilinder banks, its a straight 6

Most quadpipes in V8 are fake nowadays I believe anyway, not a fan but but at least they are V8's. The V10's I can think of have all dual exhaust pipes (CGT, Gallardo, Viper). Only some of the V12's have real quad pipes I believe which is a far cry from a 6 cil, will the Boxster S get quad pipes too?

What do you mean a straight six doesn't have seperate cylinder banks? I thought a straight six just means the cylinders are inline with each other?

And a second question: The F360 is a V8 and has quad pipes, are they fake?

Quote:
    danny828 said:
    And a second question: The F360 is a V8 and has quad pipes, are they fake?

yep

realistically, there is no clear definition for fake vs unfake in terms of # of cylinders, cylinder banks, etc.

so what is fake/unfake, is just whatever this max joker thinks is a good car or not.

Re: FAKE

Thats it
    I'am going to de-badge my "S" and remove the quad tips, replacing them with 997 ovals

Less attention -
    - more stealth

Quad pipes on new V8 C6 Corvette are faked y-pipe just like on 997S and their msg boarders complained that it was a " Pontiac " move and not appropriate. BTW, C6 intenders also complain of it's fake brushed aluminum interior , luxury sedan -like nav screen console with lotsa buttons, ugly steering wheel hub, cooling intake design on front, disagreements over new headlights , styling changes too subtle /evolutionary and not daring enough because it is forever locked into iconic heritage constraints of previous 40 years of iterations , etc. Sound familiar ?

For comparison, take a look at the rear end of a Lotus Elise, the new one. There are vents next to the rear tail lights. These don't do anything, but originally they were supposed to and I've read that a designer was a little embarrassed about the point when admitting it to a journalist. I do think it's a good thing that the designer actually cared and I think his feeling of embarrassment was appropriate.

I know this is a little off-topic, but what are you peoples opinion of the Lotus Elise? They are just arriving in the USA and they look quite interesting.

The Lotus Elise 111R is a little gem of a car.
    Do not be fooled about how it looks or about the 4 cyl. Toyota engine.
    Lotus, also as Porsche, is still building cars not "people carriers".

And just to be sure I am not getting misunderstood, I am not saying it's better than a Porsche, I am just saying that it's a car than can offer to her lucky owner a LOT of pleasure on a track.

BTW: when will Porsche start considering making aluminum bodies for their cars ?

Quote:
    Pentium said:

BTW: when will Porsche start considering making aluminum bodies for their cars ?

I've thinking that myself, it certainly would help reduce the 911's weight problem.

Quote:
    Moogle said:

Very true
    It's funny how some people say they don't care about the looks (i.e. quad exhaust instead of double), but are whining about the 'ugly' wheels and steering wheel since the 997 introduction

Quote:
    danny828 said:
    What do you mean a straight six doesn't have seperate cylinder banks? I thought a straight six just means the cylinders are inline with each other?

What I meant was that they don't have TWO separate banks of 3 in V or opposed, all the cilinders are in one bank aligned in a line so some straight 6's don't even have dual exhaust.

Quote:
    danny828 said:
    I know this is a little off-topic, but what are you peoples opinion of the Lotus Elise? They are just arriving in the USA and they look quite interesting.

It may be little and may not be fast on a straight line or top speed but its sure fast on the corners and more importantly it handling characteristics are more sporty and radical that most more powerful sportcars out there so that car has my respect. IMO its a great weekend or track car.

Quote:
    brunner said:
    It's funny how some people say they don't care about the looks (i.e. quad exhaust instead of double), but are whining about the 'ugly' wheels and steering wheel since the 997 introduction

The first (quad pipes) is much more important than the second (wheels) IMO. One thing is the design of the wheels or steering wheel which has no other significance except design, but another thing are design details that pretend to be something else that they are not, like quad exhausts on a 6 cilinder, fake grills, fake badges, fake this and fake that. Thats the difference. The Carrera GT has dual exhausts and the 997S has quad tips? the 997/996GT3 Cup and other race cars have 18" wheels and the 997S needs 19"? I bet you the no-nonsense 997 GT3 will have dual exhausts and 18" wheels

Thats why I think that the quad exhaust of the 997S is beautiful yet I don't like them on a 997S. While I think the stock 997S wheels are ugly but I could live with them better than the quad exhaust. But again, I think we are making too much a big thing out of this small detail in the overall scheme of things. I just don't want Porsche to follow this road even further than it already has in the 997S, at least not in "standard" equipment, they should keep those things optional.

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:

What I meant was that they don't have TWO separate banks of 3 in V or opposed, all the cilinders are in one bank aligned in a line so some straight 6's don't even have dual exhaust.

Does that mean V12 in the ENZO has only two exhausts and the quad pipes are fake?

Quote:
    danny828 said:
    Does that mean V12 in the ENZO has only two exhausts and the quad pipes are fake?

I have no clue about the Enzo but I remember seeing four separate headers comming out of older Ferrari V12 engines so theirs must of been for real.

What IS IS IS fake? M3 has welded pipes INTO muffler.

Look at the latest M3 muffler and you'll find that the four pipes are penetrating the muffler. They function. To me that's OKAY.

Look at the pontiac and they are just Y fittings at the end of a single tail pipe.

What about the 997S? is it a Y or is it a welded fitment?

Re: What IS IS IS fake? M3 has welded pipes INTO muffler.

Quote:
    MaxErnst said:
    Look at the latest M3 muffler and you'll find that the four pipes are penetrating the muffler. They function. To me that's OKAY.

That's what I thought...

One question about the M3:

does it have two exhaust manifolds for each 3 cylinders that go through independent pipes all the way up to the end? In that case the 2 times 2 configuration makes sense. About the quad-pipes:

there have been several cars in history that used twin or quad pipes, just to name Ferrari and Lamborghini, and I might assume there is a functional reason also:

The exhaust fumes let out of one single big pipe might sound different and produce a different frequency than two small pipes per muffler. If it makes sense that a design-conscious marque as Porsche offers these exhaust tips to differentiate the two model versions is questionable. But as stated above, there are more important things to talk about!

By the way, when two guys from Europe travelled around the world in a VW Beetle, people in Russia assumed it to be a racecar, because only racecars had two exhausts in Russia...

One question about the M3:

does it have two exhaust manifolds for each 3 cylinders that go through independent pipes all the way up to the end? In that case the 2 times 2 configuration makes sense. About the quad-pipes:

there have been several cars in history that used twin or quad pipes, just to name Ferrari and Lamborghini, and I might assume there is a functional reason also:

The exhaust fumes let out of one single big pipe might sound different and produce a different frequency than two small pipes per muffler. If it makes sense that a design-conscious marque as Porsche offers these exhaust tips to differentiate the two model versions is questionable. But as stated above, there are more important things to talk about!

By the way, when people from Europe travelled around the world in a VW Beetle, people in Russia assumed it to be a racecar, because only racecars had two exhausts in Russia...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689973 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409451 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255844 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235077 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65588 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858204 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774320 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM