Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: F430 presentation

In Antwort auf:
    Mako88 said:
    The Gallardo's rear end is fine, only F-car fanboys object to it. No car show or event I've been to, not ONE, has the normal sportscar fan had anything to say negative about it. Only the F-car loyalists perpetuate that there's something wrong with it. The Gallardo's rear end is fine.

Well my dear L-car fanboy, you are talking a lot of BS now.
    Perhaps YOU have been to the wrong car shows, but I can tell you I wasn't the only one who was disappointed about the rear of the Gallardo. I heard that opinion at several occasions from different people, even from L-officials (!) in Geneva.
    But I never said the Gallardo isn't a good car - read my posts and you will see and stop talking nonsense. It may not me the right car for me out of several reasons but that's personal taste.

In Antwort auf:
    This is where you lost me, and likely the rest of the group. Lets just say that the 430 certainly is not going to be cheaper than the Gallardo, and agree to disagree. It's not worth the typing to explain that not only will it likely be more expensive than the G on the street (not MSRP as F-car fanboys love to quote. No such thing as a Ferrari at MSRP unless your name is on the Enzo short list) it will be far more expensive.

Mako88, on which planet are you living on? Perhaps what you're talking about applies to the US but certainly not here in Europe. Let alone the Enzo, I can get a Ferrari for MSRP at any time, even without having printed "Enzo" in my passport.

In Antwort auf:
    Rossi, as evidenced by your Jeremy Clarkson oh-so-tired and unoriginal quote in the sig (not insulting you here, Clarkson is a clown) you're clearly an F-car fan. They can probably do no wrong in your book, and you actually "like" the orca-whale-lizard-eye'd 612 as well. If that's the case, there's no debating with you. I'm Italian, I know how deep the Tifosi loyalties can blind people.

Yes, I'm a fan of Ferrari (not very difficult to find out) but I'm also quite critical.
    Saying this, yes, I think the 612 looks better in person than on pictures, but it is far from being beautiful (the most beautiful 2+2 from Ferrari was the 456 IMO).
    I also have some complaints about the much appreciated 360 design. I think it takes time to get used to the double air intake and the rear is too high and not aggressive enough, not as good as the all-time-great 355, one of Ferrari's best designs ever.
    The styling of the 575 is surely elegant and timeless, but perhaps it's a bit too elegant for a Ferrari GT.
    I even have some complaints about the Enzo. The rear works out fine, but I don't like that F1-style nose as it is good for nothing and doesn't even look good (like SLR).
    BTW - I'm also a great fan of Britsh humour and Great Britain - so that and only that is the only reason for my signature.

In Antwort auf:
    For me, the 430 is a great car, it has the makings of another strong chapter in Ferrari lore from a performance and technical standpoint. But it's ugly, and much like the 355 to 360 change, in which people far prefer the look of the 355 in polls, people will wind up far preferring the 360 to the 430 in terms of looks.

That's not progress to me and I'm tired of it. L-cars have gotten better looking over the past six years, not worse. The Murci looks better than a 6.0, which looks better than an SV, etc. Same could be said about the Gallardo, which many L-car owners actually prefer in terms of design to the Murci.

Can't say the same for Ferrari, they're all about volume and not offending anyone with their most recent designs, with the exception of the Enzo. The Enzo showed that when it comes to a car not critical for Ferrari's financial survival, they have some balls. But on their volume build-10,000-of-them 430, they went nice and safe, much safer than the Gallardo for instance.

I miss the old Ferrari.

I'm also fan of the older Ferrari as you see, but different to you I prefer the design of the Murcielago over that of the Gallardo as M has the right amount of aggressiveness, whereas G looks too bland from some angles.
    You see, perhaps we are not that far away in our opinions about cars and car design, but then to each his own, right? As I said before. So stop calling me a F-car fanboy, okay?

Best
    rossi

In Antwort auf:
    BluCamSS said:
    It's a 4.3 liter V8. And Ferrari is saying 0-62 in 4.0 sec, so 0-60 should be 3.8/9 sec according to Ferrari who are always conserative, I'm thinking 3.7 sec or so easy....the CS does it in 4.2 sec as it is.

Ferrari being conservative concerning their acceleration numbers? I think they are often too optimistic regarding these figures, also weight figures.
    In real I think Gallardo and F430 will be very close perfomancewise.

I'm talking about the US market. If you can get a F430 at MSRP, that's fantastic because over here it's a different ballgame. Ferrari of Orange County, whose owners also own Ferrari of San Diego, told me point blank two weeks ago that no one other than previous owners were being "allowed" to put pre-order deposits down on the 430, and even with that status they would be charged a "premium over MSRP".

This was last week.

With all the hype pouring out onto this mismatched round front/square rear car this week I can only imagine it's gotten even worse...

So that's where that came from in my previous posts. A premium over MSRP, which will likely be $190k at least, in my book is about $210k. So when I say that a pre-owned Murci at $210k is a hell of a lot more car than a 430 for the same money, that's where I'm coming from.

As far as the Gallardo's rear end, I'm being truthful when I say that no magazine writer, no one I know personally, no other P-car or L-car owners I'm social with, no one period, has had an issue with it in a negative way. No one. Aside from this message board, and the biased loyalists at F-chat. Amazingly they "hate" the Gallardo's read end. Gee, wonder why...If it had a prancing horse on it, it would be hailed by those same two groups as the "new Testarossa reborn!" and that is no joke.

Want to know the Ferrari designs that are worth a damn to my eye? The only ones I'd own? Easy: 288 GTO, TR, F40, 348, 355, F50 (stretch for the F50, it's borderline) and the Enzo (another stretch).

The rest are either absolutely dead in the water boring to look at (360, 550, 575) downright ugly (456, 612) or far too dated (308, 328).

That's where I come out.

I love the F-cars in the first group and throw away the cars in the second group. The 360 is a garbage design, to me it looks like a frog from the front and a POS Mitsu 3000GT from the side. A lowly NSX is more evocative. I do like its rear however. And it crushed me after the beauty of the F355, how could Ferrari follow that pinnacle of design with the bland 360? How?

Unfortunately the 430 joins the second group of cars for me, as the 612 did before it. Which is a shame because I really do believe it's going to offer the best Ferrari driving experience outside of a CS, and even then it's going to be far faster.

No it's not the popular view around here I know, but I'm not a blind tifosi, and I don't give a $hit what a biased Ferrari internet message board thinks. Right or wrong, it's the way I see it. I agree with a lot of your views, but on the Gallardo we separate as I'm Italian and love both marques. Ferrari is not superior to Lamborghini. Don't care about the F1 division's performance, their buildings aren't even shared by the road car areas and the employees/management are kept seperated. And even Schumi laughed at the suggestion that the Enzo was based on his F1 car. Not quite. So all the F1 hoopla, which I love week after week, does not give the road car warriors any reason to thumb their noses at Lambo.

Similarly, Lamborghini is not superior to Ferrari. Lately it appears that way, because no one in their right mind would choose a similarly priced 575M over a far more competitive Murcielago without lying to themselves. And the Gallardo is leagues faster than a base 360, as evidenced by getting behind the wheel and driving them. The Gallardo feels like a V12 compared to the 360. Not in the same league either, which is why Luca accelerated the F430's debut by over a year versus the original timetable, which had the 600 Imola/Maranello debuting FIRST.

But that's where I come down. The best models win. With the 612 and 430 Ferrari isn't something I covet currently. With the Murci and Gallardo I wake up possessed to fill the garage with both of them.

Quote:
    rossi said:
    Ferrari being conservative concerning their acceleration numbers? I think they are often too optimistic regarding these figures, also weight figures.
    In real I think Gallardo and F430 will be very close perfomancewise.

Very true. Ferrari is still claiming that the Enzo can turn an 11.0 second 1/4 mile when no magazine, no tester, no one at all, has gotten it down that low.

I agree that they should be nearly identical, with a small nod to the F430 in straightline acceleration thanks to a 250 pound weight advantage over the G. We'll see though, the G has more torque. Close.

I agree with Rossi, Ferrari is usually not conservative with their figures. Porsche usually is actually.

In Antwort auf:
    Mako88 said:
    As far as the Gallardo's rear end, I'm being truthful when I say that no magazine writer, no one I know personally, no other P-car or L-car owners I'm social with, no one period, has had an issue with it in a negative way. No one. Aside from this message board, and the biased loyalists at F-chat. Amazingly they "hate" the Gallardo's read end. Gee, wonder why...If it had a prancing horse on it, it would be hailed by those same two groups as the "new Testarossa reborn!" and that is no joke.

I don't hate the G's a$$, I just find it a little bit boring and bland, especially in combination with a front and sideline as that of the Gallardo (also the Murci's back looks far better IMO).
    If it had a prancing horse on it, I'd say what a bland and boring back after such gorgeous designs as GTO, 328 and 355.

Hi Mako,
    That's true actually, I must admit, I never looked at it that way, but now that you mentionned it, the rear of the Gallardo does remind me a little of the Testarossa. Very 80's!
    I remember the Testarossa, a kid's room poster car, fantastic!
    I didn't like the Gallardo when it came out, too angular I thought, too 80's actually.
    But ever since I saw it on the road, on the move and heard it! Man my perception has changed, it is great. Mostly, the proportions catch the eyes, really a compact car.
    Very different to the future Modena IMO but they will inevitably be compared, just like the 997 Turbo will be compared to the two of them. Same price range.
    Just like you mentionned, the 575 and Murci have little in common, but they are compared because similar price range.
    One is a amazing classic GT, the other one is just a raging bull on steroids whose acceleration to 100 kmh is similar to the CGT and SLR!!!
    I love both design, maybe the Angular Lambo lines are more complex and as a result take a longer time to get used to than the graceful flowing lines of the current Ferrari line up.
    At least it's good that they are different, we (as in clients) have more and more choice! Great!

In Antwort auf:
    Fanch said:
    That's true actually, I must admit, I never looked at it that way, but now that you mentionned it, the rear of the Gallardo does remind me a little of the Testarossa. Very 80's!
    I remember the Testarossa, a kid's room poster car, fantastic!
    I didn't like the Gallardo when it came out, too angular I thought, too 80's actually.

So if the rear of the Gallardo is pure 80's design as you all say, what's all the fuss about saying Ferrari and Porsche design is going too retro in the last time?

Just a provocative question.

Quote:
    rossi said:
    So if the rear of the Gallardo is pure 80's design as you all say, what's all the fuss about saying Ferrari and Porsche design is going too retro in the last time?

Just a provocative question.

Because to me the 430 isn't retro at all. Just the front clip that overly-reactive and all too trend sensitive managers decided at the last second to replace to wake some old geezers up is retro. The rest is cutting edge Enzo angles mixed with bland 360 leftovers. It's a mish-mosh of different ideas, and it holds to no single theme. That's how you can tell they designed it to fill a need, rather than to move the soul. Moving the soul takes risk. Ferrari felt like not gambling and went safe. Their loss.

Ask yourself this: A year ago, when Montezemolo told us that he was going to give us a "baby Enzo" to replace the 360, is today's 430 what you pictured in your mind?

Not me. I didn't picture a warmed over Modena with an Enzo a$$ and a tear-drop front end from some shark nose race car.

Fanch I have no shame when I say that I'm a sucker for 80s-style wedges, and neither should you. The Lotus Esprit, Acura NSX, McLaren F1, F348, F355, TR, F40, Diablo, Gallardo, Murcielago, Zonda S, they all look like doorstops to me, and that's what supercars SHOULD look like. The 997 leaves me cold, as does every 911 prior to it. Just too tall, too round, not sharp enough. Fantastic sports cars though. Same goes for the CGT or SLR. Ugly in my book, particularly the long nose unbalanced SLR.

I have to admit though, the DB9 is the most stunning of the modern European "curved" designs I've seen to date. That is one gorgeous car, can't believe someone trumped the Bentley GT in the looks department.

F430 specs

last infos:

- name tba.
    - frontspoiler: middle air inlet appears bigger in person, side air vents a bit smaller, make it better looking than in the pic
    - side air vent bigger than 360
    - "F430" on top of dash board
    - Ferrari shields embedded in engine cover
    - totally new interior: doors, door opener, probably no LCD display, new design of seats
    - revcounter red or yellow
    - 490 PS for sure
    - 465 Nm at 5250 rpm
    - at Fiorano 3 sec faster than 360
    - Vmax above 315 kph
    - F1-paddels slightly changed, better to use
    - quicker F1 shifting: 150 msec
    - no Maserati engine, only same engine block
    - all other parts of engine are different
    - altogether, nearly 70% of all parts are totally new, no "Evo"
    - weight 1350 kg (dry weight ?)
    - production 2005: 2000 worldwide
    - first customer cars: delivery January 2005
    - 15.000 Euro deposit now
    - price tba., expect between 140k and 145k E for F1, about 8k E less for 6-gear
    - sportexhaust as an option
    - 50% more downforce, "driving like AWD, with advantages of rear WD"
    - new position light at the front: LED lights across the whole front lights
    - BBS Challenge rims as an option
    - seats with more supply than 360
    - F1: no tiny reverse lever any more, but button as CS/Enzo
    - new suspension, similar skyhook of Maserati, but trimmed for Ferrari
    - low, aggressive
    - Spider end of 2005

And: there are hints, that the carbo-ceramic brakes could come as STANDARD with the new car, but not sure about this.

Re: F430 specs

Quote:
    - 490 PS for sure
    - 465 Nm at 5250 rpm
    - Vmax above 315 kph

i would really appreciate these specs, but they're quite hard to believe... to good to be true IMO... and CS owners would surely be piXXed...

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    - 490 PS for sure
    - 465 Nm at 5250 rpm
    - Vmax above 315 kph

Wait until you see the 997 Turbo specs...996 GT3 RS owners will be piXXed too.

Quote:

no way! only if the 997TT gets a carbon wing and flashy decals...

In Antwort auf:
    zzboba said:
    In Antwort auf:
    - 490 PS for sure
    - 465 Nm at 5250 rpm
    - Vmax above 315 kph

i would really appreciate these specs, but they're quite hard to believe... to good to be true IMO... and CS owners would surely be piXXed...

Take them for granted.

"would really appreciate these specs, but they're quite hard to believe... to good to be true IMO... and CS owners would surely be piXXed..."

This CS owner isn't - that's exactly what Ferrari should be doing. Now, if a 430 Stradale appears in '05 - I'd be so piXXed I'd have to trade for it ...

Quote:
    Mako88 said:
    I'm talking about the US market. If you can get a F430 at MSRP, that's fantastic because over here it's a different ballgame. Ferrari of Orange County, whose owners also own Ferrari of San Diego, told me point blank two weeks ago that no one other than previous owners were being "allowed" to put pre-order deposits down on the 430, and even with that status they would be charged a "premium over MSRP".

My understanding is Ferrari does not allow the dealer to charge over MSRP on new cars.

Gary

a few points, first the nose looks like the ferrari/pinanfarina "aurea" concept, so no surprise there. secondly, despite the performance gains, (which are good) dont forget that ferrari seems to lie a lot about the numbers, this car may be only putting 375 rwhp down. Not bad, but not a porsche-500. Also, this engine is basically maxed out. An exhaust and some airboxes will probably have the gallardo pulling ahead in acceleration, as I think someone has claimed near 50 HP from these, not sure though. Lastly, compared to MSRP, wont there be a point where ppl say "enough, im not getting raped for 60K that even the factory feels isnt worth it?"

Quote:
    tdf360 said:
    Quote:
    Mako88 said:

My understanding is Ferrari does not allow the dealer to charge over MSRP on new cars.

Gary

Rules are made to be broken.... Many F dealers are known for selling cars at MSRP to related parties, which in turn flip car to broker and share profits w/dealer "behind the scenes", etc etc. Thus, the "waiting lists" at such dealers are amusing, imaginary lists. Classic supply and demand games when car's MSRP doesn't reflect mkt price.....and dealer believes more money is better than less money

Zz,
    I am sure you have a moustache, wear a pink hawaian shirt and your arm dangling down the window with the shiniest of Rolex when you drive
    Seriously, the 430 stats sound mighty impressive!

Quote:
    I am sure you have a moustache, wear a pink hawaian shirt and your arm dangling down the window with the shiniest of Rolex when you drive

yeah that's me!!

Well my dear L-car fanboy, you are talking a lot of BS now.
    Perhaps YOU have been to the wrong car shows, but I can tell you I wasn't the only one who was disappointed about the rear of the Gallardo. I heard that opinion at several occasions from different people, even from L-officials (!) in Geneva

Well this is the only part of my car most Ferrari drivers
    will ever see...get accustomed to it!

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:

yeah that's me!!

You forgot his tatoo...

In Antwort auf:
    RC said:
    In Antwort auf:
    zzboba said:
    In Antwort auf:

yeah that's me!!

You forgot his tatoo...

...saying "I love mum"

In Antwort auf:
    Bad TT said:

Ah well BadTT, you said that before. Getting old?
    I think neither Gallardo, nor F430, nor 997TT can show their a$$es to eachother, they are (or will be) too close.

Quote:
    rossi said:
    nor 997TT

rossi, I know something you don't know...

Rossi, swap the 997TT for 996TT, and we have a deal

Quote:
    RC said:
    rossi, I know something you don't know...

Uh-oh...

Quote:
    Bad TT said:

Ahahahahaha nice Wayne, that never gets old. LOL.

RC stop the teasing, is Porsche joining the 500HP club with the 998 Turbo? Let the cat out of the bag, don't hold out on us like you did with the early 430 pic!

Rossi, nice details on the F430. With specs like that it's clear that 360CS owners just got a nice hard kick in their a$$ from the factory, particularly CS owners that just took delivery within the last six months. They must feel great right about now.

Can't believe F430 customer deliveries start in Jan of 2005, Ferrari hustled it out the door for sure due to the Gallardo chewing into sales. No question.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:
    - 490 PS for sure
    - 465 Nm at 5250 rpm
    - Vmax above 315 kph

Christian, Thanks - just what I wanted to hear

If vmax is above 315 km/h then accelaration 0-200m and above will be moderate...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    754333 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431232 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258783 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255718 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79733 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5262 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868706 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802505 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM