Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

I've heard this, but I don't understand. When accelerating forward are you not relying on half as much contact patch to transfer torque to the ground? Specially with 700+ hp. 

It't not fool proof.

In theory it works good enough, the ABS system brakes the spinning wheel enough for it to regain traction while the engine basically stayed at full power for full torque output. The downside is overheating brakes and heavy brake wear.

It is different than a mechanical diff, where the toque from a spinning wheel is transferred to the wheel with traction, while the traction control system work the engine ECU to limit engine output in order to regain control.

In extreme circumstances, like a static launch from rest, both wheels will be spinning in either system, that means a tiny fraction steering wheel input will cause a yaw moment, it's up to the driver to steer into the 'spin' to save the car. 

--

Ramin:

I've heard this, but I don't understand. When accelerating forward are you not relying on half as much contact patch to transfer torque to the ground? Specially with 700+ hp. 

It is incredible isn't it, the 720S was tested at 0-50kph in 1.3s compaed to GT2RS 1.2s despite the GT2s inherent rear engine advantage and 12.5" rims with 325 tyres vs 11" and 305s.

The 75kg weight advantage must help a bit but its mainly the tech the combination of magic suspension control giving the maximum contact patch and latest traction control systems varying the torque delivery, it is a real achievement and must surely make Porsche up their game.

Something else I noticed which is interesting, the GT2RS is geared perfectly for 0-100, 0-200 and 0-300 but the 720S is not, makes the 720S acceleration numbers even more incredible.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dedethecollector/41382862402/in/album-72157695538380775/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dedethecollector/sets/72157666068286639/

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

McLaren 570S 

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN sold to a worthy enthusiast.

Whoopsy:

It't not fool proof.

In theory it works good enough, the ABS system brakes the spinning wheel enough for it to regain traction while the engine basically stayed at full power for full torque output. The downside is overheating brakes and heavy brake wear.

It is different than a mechanical diff, where the toque from a spinning wheel is transferred to the wheel with traction, while the traction control system work the engine ECU to limit engine output in order to regain control.

In extreme circumstances, like a static launch from rest, both wheels will be spinning in either system, that means a tiny fraction steering wheel input will cause a yaw moment, it's up to the driver to steer into the 'spin' to save the car. 

By the description it sounds like Porsche's Automatic Braking Differential (ABD) that they have been using since the 996 in cars without mechanical diff. It used to be that for most of the 996 era that the PSM was not compatible with mechanical diffs and they developed this system for useu in PSM equipped cars. Now it's used for all models without mechanical diff I believe.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

TB993tt:
    Ramin:

It is incredible isn't it, the 720S was tested at 0-50kph in 1.3s compaed to GT2RS 1.2s despite the GT2s inherent rear engine advantage and 12.5" rims with 325 tyres vs 11" and 305s.

The 75kg weight advantage must help a bit but its mainly the tech the combination of magic suspension control giving the maximum contact patch and latest traction control systems varying the torque delivery, it is a real achievement and must surely make Porsche up their game.

Something else I noticed which is interesting, the GT2RS is geared perfectly for 0-100, 0-200 and 0-300 but the 720S is not, makes the 720S acceleration numbers even more incredible.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dedethecollector/41382862402/in/album-72157695538380775/

--

McLaren 570S 

Isnt the gearing not chosen in combination of the specific engine output/ drag coefficent and overall car spec. Mean on first hand the gearing ratio doesnt look perfectly, (long 6th and 7th as overdrive, 720s), but in combination with the whole package it ist. Or is the gearing sacrified to emission output, and there for not perfect.

Carlos from Spain:
    Whoopsy:

It't not fool proof.

By the description it sounds like Porsche's Automatic Braking Differential (ABD) that they have been using since the 996 in cars without mechanical diff. It used to be that for most of the 996 era that the PSM was not compatible with mechanical diffs and they developed this system for useu in PSM equipped cars. Now it's used for all models without mechanical diff I believe.

The Mclaren system is lights years ahead of anyone else. On my 12C before, launching it the traction is insane. You feel the power is never cut from the engine, unlike Ferraris where they have a hard cut in power output to rein in the spinning wheels, The computer managed the slip and traction so well, it's a direct pass me down from McLaren's F1 tech. 

--

Mcracing1:
    TB993tt:
    Ramin:

--

McLaren 570S 

Isnt the gearing not chosen in combination of the specific engine output/ drag coefficent and overall car spec. Mean on first hand the gearing ratio doesnt look perfectly, (long 6th and 7th as overdrive, 720s), but in combination with the whole package it ist. Or is the gearing sacrified to emission output, and there for not perfect.

In a perfect world, of course each individual gear will be chosen to maximize performance.

But there are government regulations to follow, and production constraints. 

Don't have the information handy, but I don't believe Mclaren changed the gearing in their Graziano box since the 12C. So yeah, the gearing is not optimized for the 720S for sure.

Imagine a custom geared DSG for the 720S. Probably unbeatable.

--

Yep, McLaren's traction control is amazing. I think Porsche got closer to them with the GT2 RS...but probably not close enough.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

I mentioned how much I liked the 570S, I ordered a new 720S late December and this bad boy arrived end of last week Smiley

apologies for the crappy iphone pics.

--

2018 McLaren 720S 

Awesome. Congrats!

Wow, awesome kiss

Did the 570S go to make room?

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

Wow! angel The car looks fabulous. Congrats! wink

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

the car looks amazing ! You did a great job with picking the color combo !! 

Congrats and here's wishing you many happy miles in it wink

Wow, the car looks like a spaceship! angel

The 720 is so modern compared with its competitors and you chose the perfect colour for it.  kiss

Many congrats! wink

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Congrats! Please let us know how do you feel the upgrade: brutal? Or are they closer that people think?

--

2016 Cayman GT4 - 1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2016 Macan S Diesel - 2013 Mini Cooper S

TB993tt:

I mentioned how much I liked the 570S, I ordered a new 720S late December and this bad boy arrived end of last week Smiley

Nice! Smiley

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Wonderful exterior color SmileySmileySmiley Have fun Smiley

TB993tt:

Congratulations SmileySmiley. You are a very lucky guy - a 720S and a Bank Holiday weekend with unremitting  sunshine even  in Manchester SmileySmileySmiley.

Whow, that looks really cool. 720S is really growing on me, spec suits it perfectly.

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Rossi:

Wow, the car looks like a spaceship! angel

The 720 is so modern compared with its competitors and you chose the perfect colour for it.  kiss

Many congrats! wink

Second that sentiment!  Congratulations on a beautiful automobile!

Congratulations kiss The car looks so good and fresh . Looking forward to your impressions compared to your Gt2 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Congratulations Toby! What a great looking car mate!
    Looking forward to reading your impressions (and sh!tloads of pics of course smiley) once you have driven it some more.

Cheers Joost

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Congrats, great looking car, love your license plate... Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Fantastic car - cannot wait for yr comparison to the 570 kiss

Spectacular   kiss

Guys, many thanks for all the kind words and yes the car does look amazing in this colour, a lot of people seem to be speccing in the loud colours oranges greens blues etc in fact when I was ordering mine there was only one car I could find on the net in this colour (Blade Silver) and that was in South Africa but thankfully they posted some great photos so I knew that this was the hue I wanted.

I am planning to put some mileage on this and didn't want it to be too loud but have to say it attracts a LOT of attention but so far it has all been positive.

I was surprised to find that the much vaunted ride comfort by a small margin not as good as the 570S I had, it is not a hard ride by any means I am thinking that the bigger wheels and tyres are a major factor in this the 570 felt very nimble on its 225/285 8"/10" set up whereas the 720 feels more "substantial".

As Crayphile said we have had dry 27 C weather in the UK this weekend so there has been plenty of grip but it is still very interesting to feel this traction control system we discussed in this thread, it is quite incredible you can feel that the tyres are right on the limit of grip and the ECU is keeping them right there you can feel a slight wheelspin for a fraction of a second as a tyre goes over a bit of camber but the ECU just very subtley reduces the torque to find the grip it is fabulous.

The torque, 770Nm is very well matched whereas my 950NM GT2 just feels like a sledgehammer trying to spit me off the road at every whiff of full throttle the 720 feels like a very powerful elastic band screaming up to 8200rpm - no I didn't really run the engine in I don't believe it is necessary, 100 quiet miles then time to seat the rings in !  

I specced this car as light as I could with the standard sound system (I read somewhere how proud Mclaren were about its ultra light weight) manual seats and steering column (I actually hate electric seats they take ages to adjust and I like to put the seat all the way back when I exit - manual is so much easier) I have the super lightweight wheels which I understand come in near the 10/11kg mark. My one "indulgence" was carbon interior air vents, I have the carbon interior packs 1 and 2 and the vents just looked naked without the matching carbon, they are delightful but pricey ! 

There is plenty of chat about how these sound boring and compared to the R8/Lambo motors I guess they do, I specced the standard exhaust firstly because I has a good look at its design and I liked it it actually allows a high proportion of gases (post cats) to exit straight out and directs the rest into a chamber the sports version was another £5K and I thought if I need more noise in the future I can go aftermarket. The exhaust is pretty quiet but on full beans through my test tunnel it sounds like 700hp should sound !

I will get the car weighed at some point just for my interest but I'm hoping it comes in around the 1430kg DIN mark. 

--

2018 McLaren 720S 

TB993tt:

The exhaust is pretty quiet but on full beans through my test tunnel it sounds like 700hp should sound !

I will get the car weighed at some point just for my interest but I'm hoping it comes in around the 1430kg DIN mark. 

You should get it dynoed as well - I suspect it will be pumping out more than 700hp. Pretty much everything else feels slow compared to it.

crayphile:
    TB993tt:

The exhaust is pretty quiet but on full beans through my test tunnel it sounds like 700hp should sound !

You should get it dynoed as well - I suspect it will be pumping out more than 700hp. Pretty much everything else feels slow compared to it.

Yeah, I followed all the dyno shenanigans with chassis dynos spinning up some big numbers and talk of 800hp at the flywheel. Chassis dynos are generally pretty crap at measuring big horsepower turbo motors they do not load the motors enough and give spurious readings particularly the torque numbers.

Autobild tested their test 720 the one which di 0-200 in 7.2s and 0-300 in 19.4s

They used the Insoric system which is a device which straps onto the hubs and measures acceleration then through a program calculates flywheel hp, they did teh same on the GT2RS and got the numbers bang on the manufacturers claims.

Here is what they got for the 720S..... 745PS/771NM is a lot of performance !! 

1525781133693720insoric.png

--

2018 McLaren 720S 

Love the combo.Very nice.

Congrats Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

Huge congrats on a wonderfully specced 720, what a beast!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774875 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440389 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262089 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260324 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84843 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879427 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814264 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM