Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Rami's Porsche 997 turbo "R" cab by RUF

D-DAY!
    The car finally made it back from RUF Germany. The transporter had some serious delays due to terrible traffic jams but in the end it was worth the wait
    When the trailer arrived at the dealer it was already too late so I wasn't able to take pictures from it when they drove it of the truck.
    First thing that did strike me was the exhaust note: this is not a regular 997 turbo anymore!

EXTERIOR:
    The exterior is unfinished at this point. RUF did its job with excellence but this is only half of what needs to be done.
    I had them build a custom Rt12 wing for my cab. Most won't even notice the difference with an original Rt12 wing but rest assured it is there. Normally the lower part of the wing end at about 3 quarters of the rear lights. This was very disturbing for me so I let them build a custom wing that reached to the end of the rear lights. Some may hate it, I love it
    This wing isn't static like the original Rt12 car, it still goes up and down like the normal turbo.
    The custom exhaust looks pretty nice but I need to check it thoroughly in clear daylight. I MIGHT have them changed a bit (not sure but I'll keep you up to date later on this).
    Next step on the conversion is to be done at the dealer. I will return the car after the weekend and it should take them max 5 days to complete the conversion. When done there is only one detail that still needs to be taken care of: the suspension.
    Unfortunately the suspension is still in backorder so I will have to sit that one out. RUF will send a mechanic over to my dealer in Belgium to do the install when it finally arrives. This will have quite an impact on the visual aspect of the car since it will get lowered.

INTERIOR:
    The interior has remained nearly untouched. I already specced the car with lots of Tequipment and Exclusive options so it was already to my likings to start with.
    I did have them install the RUF instrument cluster (tacho up to 370kph and redline on 7400rpm instead of the normal 6600rpm).
    One mod to come: thick TechArt steering wheel in full factory looks (original Porsche logos).

SOUND:
    Awesome! A much deeper growl compared to the original turbo but still pretty civilized. While driving you can clearly hear the turbos whistle. Close to zero resonance inside the cabin.

1ST DRIVE:
    Don't know what to say about this really ...
    The power this car unleashes is simply mindblowing! Just before I turned on the highway I put it in 3rd and hit the pedal. I nearly [beep] my pants! The boost you get at around 3500rpm is simply unheard of (at least for me it is).
    I now completely understand what Hugo meant when he told me "Once driven an Rt12 you're spoiled for life".
    Sad part is that it started to rain pretty fast so I wasn't able to go all the way.
    I did push it in 5th gear at a certain point ... I was going at 168kph and the digital tacho jumped each time with +8kph!!! 168-176-184 ... UN-BE-LIE-VA-BLE!!!

ENGINE SPECS (ENG):
    * 3.8L Water-cooled 6-cylinder Boxer
    * 8 main bearing crankshaft
    * Double overhead camshafts per cylinder bank
    * 4 valves per cylinder - hydraulically actuated with variable valve timing
    * Water-cooled with three radiators and a water-oil heat exchanger
    * Dry sump lubrication system with separate oil tank
    * Electronic Bosch fuel injection
    * Twin KKK turbochargers with integrated wastegates and 3-way catalytic converters
    * Broke x Stroke of 100.0 mm x 76.4 mm
    * Oil capacity (including filter) of 12 litres
    * Water capacity of 22 litres
    * Fuel requirement of premium unleaded 98 ROZ
    * Performance: 650 HP, maximum torque 870 Nm (official numbers but mine has more)
    * Six-speed manual gearbox with dual-mass flywheel
    * RUF sports suspension: fully adjustable in ride height and stiffness, hydraulically adjustable in height up to 50 millimetres

PICS:
    Since it was already quite late I wasn't able to take good pictures.
    I will have more pictures later (when the car is completely finished) but for now here are two.

Home at last:

Ready for departure at RUF:

Re: Rami's Porsche 997 turbo "R" cab by RUF

Hey Rami,

Looks quite impressive what you had done by RUF. They've really gone the distance in taking care of you. I'm assuming that you took the wheels from your coupe and put it on your cabrio? Did you ever go ahead with the plans to put the GT2 bumper on too?

Thx Jason!

Wheels are indeed the ones from the coupé.
    The GT2 conversion will be done next week. Car should be ready at the end of the week apart from the CTR3 suspension setup.

Rami,

For me one of the great pleasures of this forum is to run across pics of GORGEOUS cars, like your Cab here. You care and it shows. I particularly like the contrast of the bright wheels against all black background. Are the wheels Sportec? They too are beautiful. Congrats.

Really outstanding job Rami. Are those the Sportec wheels?

Rami: Your car is stunning, absolutely beautiful, color, wheels, spolier and of course the RUF goodies, enjoy my friend

Nicely done!

Wow.

For some time now, I have been wondering if the RT12 wing was adjustable, like a standard turbo's. I guess it's not. But that seems strange to me.

Rami, can you post details of the GT2 bumper conversion for me. I'd like to see how it's done because it's something that I'd like to do. Send it as a PM if you'd like.

And, please post close up shots of your RUF exhaust tips. I'm particularly interested in seeing how they look front behind and the sides. From the angle of the picture you posted, it looks very similar to the cargraphic oval tips.

What a nice job
    I'll make sure to stay on the right lane if ever I see your car in my back mirror

I am looking forward to the pics with the GT2 front bumper.

Hi Rami,
    congrats,looks good but anyway most of what you have done with Ruf is on the unseen side
    glad to hear you are happy with the way the car drives and sounds that's the most important thing imo,hope it's sunny and dry in Belgium this weekend(it is here )

Great car Rami! Many congrats The engine really is a treat

P.S.: You did not have them change the PTM/AWD system?

WOW - superb job Rami That's a really unique Turbo

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Great car Rami! Many congrats The engine really is a treat

P.S.: You did not have them change the PTM/AWD system?

That's what I wanted to ask. What about that rear wing? Is the bottom part (the part, which you've had widened) molded directly into the metal, or is it an add-on part, attached later?

I don't think commenting on the engine any furtheris necessary . I wonder whether they will eventually offer a VTG upgrade for better spool time .

Damn Rami, you are spoiled for life It seems Ruf really
    is capable of doing some nice work! That engine must be
    ludicrous, enjoy it in good health and i'll be waiting for
    the day you pass by..

btw, here's a closer pic of the spoiler, but i'm not sure whether is has been put on or melted..

As said, mindblowing car! Congratulations, I really hope you never come across a CGT, the owner will be suicidal

no words....

The wheels are indeed from Sportec. I'm planning on buying the 19" OZ Superleggera III forged ones as well (see Hugo's car)
    Those will be used primarily as winter wheels.

The Rt12's wing might be adjustable, not sure of that but it's definately not one that goes up and down like the Turbo's.

Jason, I will give it a try. I'll tell the dealer to take a few shots while doing the upgrade. Not sure if they will do that but I will give it a try nevertheless.
    Here are some extra pics of the exhaust:

And while it was still being build:

The complete rear hood including the wing is build in carbon. No idea how it is attached tho.

One thing I can say about the endtips: they will need some serious maintenance. It seems they turn brown (copper) pretty fast.

Great choice going with the OZ wheels. Those are good looking wheels! I assume in the dark graphite finish too?

Thanks for posting those pictures of the exhaust tips. I see now that they're nothing like the cargraphic tips. It's also interesting to note that the exhaust cans look very similar to the stock cans. They're not the same are they? Modified to RUF specs?

Quote:
    Rami said:
    One thing I can say about the endtips: they will need some serious maintenance. It seems they turn brown (copper) pretty fast.

That's the same problem I had with my cargraphic tips. They turned brown all the time but I couldn't polish that out. What do you use? I'd like to know how Porsche managed prevent the stock tips from turning brown.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Great choice going with the OZ wheels. Those are good looking wheels! I assume in the dark graphite finish too?

Thanks for posting those pictures of the exhaust tips. I see now that they're nothing like the cargraphic tips. It's also interesting to note that the exhaust cans look very similar to the stock cans. They're not the same are they? Modified to RUF specs?

Correct ... I still need to pick the exact color but it will also be a duo-tone setup (polished dish and colored star).

Correct again RUF uses the original exhaust and modifies it from there. They don't install a completely new exhaust like Europipe and the others do.

I can't answer your other question just yet Jason. My guy will bring along a product next week and we'll see the result. If it works I'll let you know.
    If not then it might be worth thinking about powdercoating them. I can't see that brown finish, it drives my completely bananas!

Rami,
    I hope i'll cross your road one day!
    I really like to see this beauty in rlf!
    Magnificent choices!

A few extra pics ... tomorrow he will undergo stage II of the conversion.

Wow, I'm gone for a bit and come back to this! Congrats Rami (I still blame you for all the leather options on my car but wouldn't do it any other way)! Nice photography! I can't even phathom the power of that car, amazing! Congrats and drive her in good health!

Very nice! The last pictures show the nice looks of the Ruf made rear-wing very well Have fun

looking forward to more pics as the project progresses...very nicely understated for the rocketship it is ....sportec wheels look the best of any....wondering if there is a us distributor

sort of like pushing water uphill but...the wheels are distributed by ggi in los angeles 714-4009 and miami...the TPR-1's come only in 20's x 9's/12's polished and anthracite finishes ...$2,300.00 / $2,000.00 a hundred bucks cheaper each for the anthracite...5wks delivery from ch...guess these are all reasons you dont see em much....ive found that much stuff i like is a pain in the ass to get sportec's are no exception

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689529 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409213 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255730 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234981 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4646 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857952 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774008 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM