Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche's four-door future...

Hatch backs in the US do not sell well. People do not like them. It' s the same in some EU countries like Spain, Portugal.

Switzerland, Germany , France like hatch backs a lot, but usually it's the small or middle segment of cars , like Golf, Clio.

A luxury hatch back is something new. I wonder how people will react to it. Porsche is surely taking a big risk. Will it pay off?
    Is Porsche thinking they will change that ?

Quote:
    Gnil said:
    Hatch backs in the US do not sell well. People do not like them. It' s the same in some EU countries like Spain, Portugal.

Switzerland, Germany , France like hatch backs a lot, but usually it's the small or middle segment of cars , like Golf, Clio.

A luxury hatch back is something new. I wonder how people will react to it. Porsche is surely taking a big risk. Will it pay off?

I don't think anyone would turn down a good car because it is a hatchback. Hatchbacks don't sell in the medium and higher segments because no premium manufacturer offers them. If the "usual suspects" like Mercedes BMW etc offered hatchbacks in the segments in question, then I don't think the 5th door would be the obstacle. People prefer a c-class to a Renault Laguna for example not due to the hatch but for other reasons. Moreover, many Porsches that the sentimental fans rave about were hatchbacks (928, 944turbo. 968 club sport etc). Also the Porsche market now is worldwide not just western europe and USA so wider blend of tastes comes into the picture.

So I suppose by the reasoning of you guys, the Cayman is a hatchback as well?

Quote:
    palenimbus said:
    So I suppose by the reasoning of you guys, the Cayman is a hatchback as well?

..and the 996 + 997 Targa too!

do you guys remember this concept form VW?

Exclusive: first picture w/o camo

First picture w/o camo:

Quote:
    Avoe said:

Yep, Phaeton prototype that was shown in Frankfurt before VW finally decided to build a rival for S-class, 7series and A8.

I saw that car live there and the prototype pics of the Panamera always reminded me of this VW study, but I never had a pic to post.

Another possible inspiration for the Panamera: the original luxury performance hatchback:

That thing was in fact about as fast as an M5 or an Audi 100 S4 V8 back in the day. Obviously, it sold about as much as a Phaeton W12.

How a Porschephile can dislike this car is beyond my understanding!

Why buy an ugly 5 series or a E class taxi or a 7series/S class dinosaur if you can buy this thoroughbred? Only an Audi S8 is in the same league IMO and that is not at all exciting to look at. A Maserati well? Good looks but many weaknesses too.

Quote:
    Rossi said:
    Quote:
    Avoe said:

Yep, Phaeton prototype that was shown in Frankfurt before VW finally decided to build a rival for S-class, 7series and A8.

I saw that car live there and the prototype pics of the Panamera always reminded me of this VW study, but I never had a pic to post.

I also saw it live in frankfurt, and always had the same thoughts.
    It looks as they used the same basis, just porschrised it a bit.

Quote:
    reginos said:

I am still giving it a big chance, lets just wait and see. I also liked the vw concept at that time.
    But you also know that porschephiles dislike every new car from porsche at the very begining, even the 911ens. ;-)

Quote:
    Avoe said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:

I am still giving it a big chance, lets just wait and see. I also liked the vw concept at that time.
    But you also know that porschephiles dislike every new car from porsche at the very begining, even the 911ens. ;-)

Very true!

Quote:
    Avoe said:
    [

Exactly !!
    The press and the people said the Cayenne is but ugly... we know what happened once on sale .
    Now the era of the luxury hatchback is comming , thank you Renauld for the inpiration

Wow . I'd never seen that picture before but looks like a carbon copy based on the spy pix. even the back of the front seat looks the same.

Quote:
    Gnil said:

I agree with you. For some strange reason hatchbacks and station wagons never took off in the U.S..

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:I don't know what they call it in Europe, but in the US that's a stationwagon.

But, by no means is it a four door coupe.

Put AWD on it and they have a crossover.

This car will be disastrous for Porsche.

Why will it be a disaster? I don't see why.

I owned two different 928's in their day and found the hatch quite useful. It's much more flexible than a conventional trunk/boot for loading odd shaped freight like small antiques, etc. in the back.

One of the big reasons I drive an SUV to the office and back every day is that I got tired of unsuccessfully attempting to take home web-ordered merchandise delivered via UPS that wouldn't fit in the trunk/boot, nor back seat, of a 7-series BMW.

The Panamera looks perfect as a compromise between an M5 and a Cayenne/ML55. Classy looks, hot-rod performance, and flexible cargo capacity. I like the idea a lot.

The perfect compromise between an M5 and a Cayenne/ML55 is... the M5 Touring.

Too bad it's not available in the US.

It's funny that SUVs are popular, whereas hatchback sedans are not. A SUV is little else than a hatchback with worse handling and worse mileage.

I like what I see so far.

All the complaint here are that the car is too big...
    Well it is not a coupe, it is a 4 door what, what were you expecting?

The hatchback is a must, much better than a trunk.
    The car will sell like hotcakes in the US, if the handling is above its competitors (like the Cayenne in its segment).

is will sell sell sell...

Quote:
    reginos said:

Can someone P-shop these pics in Black with Turbo Twist silver wheels and a carbon fiber GT2 spoiler on the tail?

Quote:
    W8MM said:

Why will it be a disaster?

Porsche greed. It will be overpriced.
    They will have to sell V6 models to be able to meet their 20k units projection.

Even then, I still doubt it.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    W8MM said:

And, that is a disaster for whom?

Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    W8MM said:

The brand.

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    W8MM said:

The brand.

Not really. If the V6 pumps out 300+ bhp, the base version will still be faster than most cars on the road.

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:

Can someone P-shop these pics in Black with Turbo Twist silver wheels and a carbon fiber GT2 spoiler on the tail?

24 hours and no replies. Where did all the P-shop pros go to hide?

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Quote:
    reginos said:

24 hours and no replies. Where did all the P-shop pros go to hide?

Perhaps none want to be associated with the Panamera shape .

Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    W8MM said:
    Quote:
    svtrader1 said:
    Quote:
    W8MM said: Why will it be a disaster?

The brand.

Due to the increasing awareness of climate change and ever increasing legislation aimed at curbing CO2 output from cars the V6 is hardly going to be a disaster for the brand. It's high capacity V8/V10 engines in this class of car that will become a liability in the future ..... even in the US which is slowly starting to acknowledge the issue and where the big three are waking up to the fact that time is ticking for the traditional V8. There will be a lot more cars appearing with twin turbo V6 engines in the next couple of years as manufacturers look to shed weight to reduce CO2 yet retain performance.

Like the car or not, the Panamera will probably be a sales success around the world.

It adds a interesting choice for some BMW and Benz shoppers in the new car market.

The Panamera will probably set new industry records for optional equipment prices for 4drs that will make other car companies drool with envy.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    The Panamera will probably set new industry records for optional equipment prices for 4drs that will make other car companies drool with envy.

It's not like Mercedes offer options at bargin prices. Spec a Benz online and you'll see how quickly the dineros will begin to stack up, or visit your local dealer and check out a demo car. When the C-class had just hit the street I saw a fully loaded C350 priced at 640 000 SEK which is just a few coins away from the asking price of an M3.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690137 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409534 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255877 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235113 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65611 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858280 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774455 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM