Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Racism at Barcelona F1 test

Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    How in this day and age do two black comedians get away with making a movie where they go undercover and dress up as 'White Chicks' and proceed to to try to act white? How is that any different than what Al Jolson did? Some may argue that it's even worse since society is supposedly more educated now. This is a pretty good example of what we call 'reverse racism' but for some sad reason it's accepted as being okay.

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/whitechicks/site/

Joe this is a bit different, I have nothing against those guys that painted themselves black but you have to put into consideration that the black man endured slavery under the white man, The wounds of this atrocity hasn't completely healed therefore any negative comment or action carried out against a black man will definitely be blown out of proportion

Quote:
    cgt said:
    Sadly, and not just based on this incident, I think F1 has over the last few years been taking on some of the more unpleasant fan aspects of soccer.

I really couldnt imagine such behaviour in the days of Senna Mansell and Prost.

Oh really?

I hope that when the GP takes place in Barcelona and real aficionados pay for their ticktets those hoolingas won't be at the circuit.

Quote:
    Italo said:
    Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    How in this day and age do two black comedians get away with making a movie where they go undercover and dress up as 'White Chicks' and proceed to to try to act white? How is that any different than what Al Jolson did? Some may argue that it's even worse since society is supposedly more educated now. This is a pretty good example of what we call 'reverse racism' but for some sad reason it's accepted as being okay.

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/whitechicks/site/

Joe this is a bit different, I have nothing against those guys that painted themselves black but you have to put into consideration that the black man endured slavery under the white man, The wounds of this atrocity hasn't completely healed therefore any negative comment or action carried out against a black man will definitely be blown out of proportion

I'm beginning to doubt that it ever will. It certainly doesn't help when you've got hip hop artists repeatedly calling themselves (n-word) in their music. Anyway, I'm fully aware of the double standard of racism, which was my point. Racism should be unacceptable for everyone, regardless of what happened 1-2 hundred years ago. That's just my silly vision of progress I suppose.

Quote:
    racerx said:
    Our reason for being there was a plea from the then president of S. Vietnam to lend assistance in the form of military advisors. This was in 1962. JFK sent them in. I have the LIFE magazines where they are pictured training and conducting missions.

No one is denying that the US first entered South Vietnam under the auspices of being 'advisors'. But the real US purpose was to fight communism even though these events were played out thousands of miles away where there was no actual threat to mainland USA.

When I said that you're rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic, I meant that you are arguing over trivialities about 'were they invited' or 'did they go there anyway' etc etc. No one is arguing that with you.

The 'Titanic' reference is because the entire venture was an unmitigated calamity. Surely you can see this 30 years after the event?

Quote:
    racerx said:
    As to biased TV coverage I am referring to live (in that day) coverage by the 3 news networks, journalists who reported what they saw. Much more graphic and more real than any coverage shown of Iraq. This live fire daily video was shown every night in the 60's.

You're missing my point. No one is arguing with you about the TV and film footage you saw or the magazines you read. The point is that dispassionate historical analysis usually happens years after the events have finished when the events can be assessed in the cold light of day not in the heat of the moment. As such, one should learn one's history from dispassionate analysis not from live footage.

Quote:
    racerx said:
    There was no oil, no gold, no resources of any kind. Just a people being attacked by evil communists. To say what the US tried to do was a selfish exercise just shows your anti US bias, imo.

You're utterly mistaken about the history of your own country's foreign actions. I love the USA and its people. I am certainly not anti US. I am however critical of US governments and US foreign policy whenever they have been wrong IMO. That's not the same as being anti US. It's called exercising one's critical faculty.

The statements you have made about the 'unselfish' motives of the US are IMO extremely naive (because, I assume, you have simply swallowed uncritically the US government propaganda of that time which was designed to get people to support US actions in the Vietnam War). I humbly suggest you read historical analysis of the real motives of US actions during the Cold War and how the Domino Theory was, incorrectly, a fundamental plank of US foreign policy thinking at that time.

Quote:
    racerx said:
    As to WW 11, did you ever hear of the lend lease program. FDR did everything he could for britain against germany, but knew he could not get congress to declare war, BECAUSE THE US DOES NOT LIKE WAR.

Yes, I am all too aware of lend lease. It took Britain over 50 years to repay the capital loaned and the interest that had accrued. Lend Lease wasn't aid. It was a loan.

Quote:
    racerx said:
    The US has had to be the world's policeman because no one else would or could. Without US action in this past century the world would be so different. Most of the map right now would be ruled from germania.

Our actions were only self-centered to the point of not wanting to be the only FREE ones left in a world dominated by either Nazi or Commie Totalitarians.

I'm not getting drawn into a futile discussion on the role of the US in global politics and how the creation of the UN and, in particular, the UN Security Council was deliberately hamstrung so that the 5 permanent members of the Security Council could act freely with impunity since they could veto any move against them. That's why the UN is so very much weaker than it could, and should, be.

The 5 permanent members can act individually or via the UN to stop a crisis affecting 'international peace and security'. But in practice, they only do so when it is in their national interest or that of their allies. They also block action by the UN if it hurts their national interest or that of their allies.

As such, UN action only happens when the interests of the permanent 5 members (or their close allies) is not affected.

It is a systemic flaw in the UN deliberately put there by the victorious countries of WW2 (US, UK, France, Russia and China) to keep control over every other country without being controlled themselves. It's very clever but fundamentally unethical.

We would therefore not need a US policeman if these systemic flaws had not been designed into the UN hierarchy.

I know you won't like that but it's my sincere opinion. The world needed security after WW2 but now it just needs to be a more fair playing field. The UN is powerless when it needs to act. The UN is no longer fit for purpose (as it is currently constituted) IMHO.

We need to remove the veto of just one country and leave it to majority voting in the Security Council. We believe in democracy after all, don't we? Plus I would widen it so that we could consider the addition of stable democracies like Brazil, India, Germany, Canada, Japan, the Netherlands, Sweden, South Africa, Australia. It would make the world a fairer place less dominated by the historical victors of WW2.

That's it on this issue for me. I'm all done here. I'm sorry if my tone is a little strident today. I've had a fairly cr*p day so my patience levels are lower than usual. So I offer my sincere apologies if my choice of words causes any offence. Any offence is entirely unintended and I love you all really (even nberry )

Have a great weekend

All the best,
    Easy

Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    Racism should be unacceptable for everyone, regardless of what happened 1-2 hundred years ago. That's just my silly vision of progress I suppose.

Well, I share it with you. You've stated a basic truth simply yet elegantly.

"No one is denying that the US first entered South Vietnam under the auspices of being 'advisors'. But the real US purpose was to fight communism even though these events were played out thousands of miles away where there was no actual threat to mainland USA."

You are off the mark. There was a major threat to the US. Look at the politics of the region and its geography in a larger context.

The communist backed "wars of liberation" in Asia were multiple at that time. Look at the other places they were taking place besides Viet Nam in that era: Malaysia, Indonesia, and the Phillipines.

In a larger view, the threat to the USA then was the potential loss of security for the major trade routes: the Straights of Malacca and the Pacific region in that area. The idea of it becoming a private lake for the Russian Navy was completely unacceptable for the USA and its allies.

Interestingly, President Lee Quan Yu of Singapore recently spoke about the effects of the Viet Nam war. He said without US involvement that Singapore would not have had the time to develop itself and that his corner of the world would have regressed back into more rounds of communist backed insurgency.

Easy

"Exactly, so this brings me back to the fact that McCain was in Vietnam when the US should not have been there. As such, his use of insulting names against the Vietnamese stems from his personal animosity to them due to their treatment of him rather than on the US cause in Vietnam being the right one. Hence his language was equally unacceptable to any equally insulting comments about a black man."

Let me help you. It is amazing that McCain is even alive.
    For 5 years. Yes 5 years, His bones were broken and rebroken repeatedly, he was beaten regulary, hung up in chains, was whipped with truck fan belts, fed dirty gruel and watched other men get beat so bad that their eyeballs literally fell out of their frkkin eye sockets. All done courtesy of the North Vietnamese government.

So If he wants to refer to his ex torturers as gooks thats his business. He's earned the right to call them whatever he wants to. And gooks is probably the least kind word for them. Do you know where the word gook comes from? Its a shortened version of the Korean word Hangook wich means foreigner.

In spite of what our friends from the USA say about the Vietnam era, IMO communism was a better enemy than the present day Al Gaeda type opposition to America.

Italo.."I have nothing against those guys that painted themselves black but you have to put into consideration that the black man endured slavery under the white man, The wounds of this atrocity hasn't completely healed therefore any negative comment or action carried out against a black man will definitely be blown out of proportion"

Lets get real here. Slavery was a tradition in Africa before the white man exploited it. Accept the fact that Black people enslaved Black people before the English got involved.

And If England really wants to atone for their development of the slave trade, they should start by paying for it now.

I would not object to England divesting itself of all of its wealth to compensate the descendants of the slaves it killed, enslaved and tortured to provide labor in the New World.

As English banks, insurance companies and the Crown all benefited from the slave trade,,, I suggest the least they should do is to liquidqate all of their assets and transmit same to the descendants of their victims.

Its the least they can do if they are really serious about racism, slavery and atoning for their dirty hands in that very evil business.

We made great progress here;

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

However, the US should never have interfered in Vietnam in the first place. What the US did there was illegal under international law. You can't invade a country because you dislike its political system.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:

No one is denying that the US first entered South Vietnam under the auspices of being 'advisors'. But the real US purpose was to fight communism

Easy is enlightened and I will accept that the US side in the cold war was self-serving AND honorable.

I look forward to the photo's from Easy's next "invasion" of mainland europe.

Some British "fans" seem to be quite proud of the harm they cause:

New Flame:

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    756004 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431891 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258998 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256075 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80020 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5268 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

869126 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    803444 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM