Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Dumbest Thing You've Done Lately With Your 997

Nice day, dry, so I wanted to take a drive.

Backed out of garage and ripped still-connected Battery Maintainer out of wall.

Sound indicated impact with car, but no dent, must have been the wheel/tire.

Have you done anything to equal, top that or otherwise add to our collective amusement?

Re: Dumbest Thing You've Done Lately With Your 997

Yesterday I opened my front bonnet and found that somebody stole my motor. Then I looked in the boot and luckily I found a spare one. I must have forgotten it for years.

Not driven it for a week

That's pretty dumb.

Quote:
    Niederrheiner said:
    Yesterday I opened my front bonnet and found that somebody stole my motor. Then I looked in the boot and luckily I found a spare one. I must have forgotten it for years.

omg thats funny

Went on drive ... then took it back to the dealer ...left it exposed in the lot ... with the stickers still on the window...someone came and bought it a week later. That was MY 997 dammit. Even if I didn't have the money and it was only test drive. That 997 was still MINE!

Taken it to OPC's trying to rectify the clutch thump...

This is what happens when you don't pull into the garage far enough and end up closing the garage door on the back of your car. Happened shortly after I bought the 997 and I wasn't at all used to the different proportions of the car compared to my previous ///M Roadster. Giant phallic hood traded in for a big, fat ass.

I wanted to put the original gt3 rolbar in my c2s cab. Now I have to unscrew the top mounting points of the rolbar every time I want to let the top down. Someone at porsche schould think of a better solution!

Quote:
    Nugget said:
    This is what happens when you don't pull into the garage far enough and end up closing the garage door on the back of your car. Happened shortly after I bought the 997 and I wasn't at all used to the different proportions of the car compared to my previous ///M Roadster. Giant phallic hood traded in for a big, fat ass.

I washed my 997S with one of those synthetic furry type mitts. I was cleaning the 'Carrera S' badge on the back and the mitt got caught under 'C' and busted it. I didn't want to drive around with an 'arrera S' so I peeled the rest of it of, and now my car is de-badged.

When my 944 was still with us, I drove her into the garage with my bike on the roof. All the bike needed was a new seatpost (carbon). The car needed bodywork. (The rack had shifted on the roof and dented it). I shudder to think what might have happened if my seatpost was metal. I probably would have been looking at a new hatch, as well.

I guess that's the second-stupidest thing I did with the car. The stupidest thing I did was forget to top up the oil in the Spring. I never noticed the oil light come on, and I also missed the pressure gauge. I broke a connecting rod bearing and reached the tough conclusion that I could not afford to keep the car.

At least I can say my first car was a Porsche.

I hope to have my second P-car on order by 2020 or so.

DUMB THING #1
    I parked my 997S in the garage as usual. This time, however, I decided to check the oil level, so I left the key in and set the position of the key to let the oil level settle as it timed down from five minutes. Came back, checked the oil, everything ok. Closed the garage door.

Next morning, I noticed that I had problems opening the garage door. With all of the excitement of checking the oil level, I forgot to put the gear in 1st the night before and the car slowly slid back into the gargage door. DOH!

DUMB THING #2.
    As I stated in a post months ago, I had twice gotten in a hurry to get in my 997S. Only I didn't open the door fast enough and the pointy end of the window gashes my stomach. OUCH.

DUMB THING#3
    I got a little too close to the curb and put a tiny scratch on my right rear wheel.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:DUMB THING #2.
    As I stated in a post months ago, I had twice gotten in a hurry to get in my 997S. Only I didn't open the door fast enough and the pointy end of the window gashes my stomach. OUCH.

ohh, I did something like that in my car, except I closed the door too fast and somehow the window caught me hard right under the jaw. really messed up my sense of balance up for the rest of the day!

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    DUMB THING #1
    I parked my 997S in the garage as usual. This time, however, I decided to check the oil level, so I left the key in and set the position of the key to let the oil level settle as it timed down from five minutes. Came back, checked the oil, everything ok. Closed the garage door.

Next morning, I noticed that I had problems opening the garage door. With all of the excitement of checking the oil level, I forgot to put the gear in 1st the night before and the car slowly slid back into the gargage door. DOH!

DUMB THING #2.

DUMB THING#3
    I got a little too close to the curb and put a tiny scratch on my right rear wheel.

Your DUMB THING #1 happened to me about 6 years ago with my Ferrari 328 GTS. Luckily, the garage door did no damage to the paint which is extremely hard on those cars and the only thing hurt was my ego. Don't want to think what would happen on my 997S with its delicate paintwork.

Oh, this was a while ago. Pulled my P-car into garage and my M3 was pretty close. Said to myself, "Self, do NOT ding M3 door! Be very careful." Immediately opened Porsche door and bashed it into the M3 door! Didn't slip, didn't lose balance: just forgot. Musta been preocupied thinking of something else.

Dumbest thing I've ever done....parked car on gentle sloping parking lot out of gear(hadn't had my coffee yet)....got out of car, headed into office, and looked back to see my baby rolling towards the garbage dump! Luckily, I was able to stop it before it hit anything or anyone saw me. Could have been a very bad day.

Backed into the bumper of a very old Chevy Astro. Didn't turn around and look back after I had taken an initial, but not full, look to the rear. Luckily, I only did damage to my 911S rear bumper (not the old Chevy Astro, which looked like a piece of "buffed-up rust). I had my damage repaired relatively inexpensively, without collecting from my insurance.

Jim

I'm also guilty of #1 & #3.

A couple of weeks ago, we'd had some warm weather that melted the snow, and then it cooled off again to about -15 Celsius. Nevertheless, the roads were dry. Well aware that tire grip is reduced by the cold temp, I went for a rip anyway (sometimes those are pretty fun!). Returning to my home, I wasn't thinking and took my usual route that has me drive uphill on a residential street. Well the warm weather wasn't enough to melt all the snow off of the small streets, and it being uphill and all, needless to say, I couldn't make it home and cars were building up behind me as my real wheels just spun and I slid backwards.

I eventually turned around and took the other route home with my tail between my exhaust pipes.

#1 Being so use to the 'automatic lights' feature on my 630i, I forgot to close my lights after parking just in front of my house. Went in for a nice shower and snack, and 1 hour later I see more than 10 missed calls from neighbours and nearby-living friends, and im scratching my head going "wtf?". Went outside, saw my lights were still on, and gave myself a nice slap on the forehead

#2 Tried to get to top speed on a public road... all im gonna say is that A) I almost had a heart attack at the end of it and B) the scene would have fitted perfectly in the next 007 movie.

Last night... Took the Volvo SUV instead of the 997...I even commented to my passenger that the Volvo was so boring to drive....Lesson learned..if I do not need more than 2 seats or trunk space...take the 997 and Drop the top

Dumbest thing I've done yet was to change the oil on a windy day. Dam thing pissed all over the driveway!

When using the "Porsche Battery Maintainer", did not switch the mode button to "auto" instead it was on "motorcycle". Next morning went to check out the charge, all I saw were flashing orange lights on the "motorcycle" setting!!!!

Did y'all hear the one about the Porsche guy who put his coffee on roof of his car as he fumbled with his keys to open door? Got in, started it, opened sun roof and...

Was his name 'MMD'?

Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    Was his name 'MMD'?

LOL. Nah. Too bad.

If it were I, in a compulsive manner I would gladly start a thread telling everybody about my "achievement" to entertain and warn others not to do the same thing.

A few years ago I saw an older guy driving down the street in his Mercedes. On the roof was a china tea cup, with the saucer!

Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    A few years ago I saw an older guy driving down the street in his Mercedes. On the roof was a china tea cup, with the saucer!

HAHA. Tea cups!

I saw a Bentley with a bottle of Grey Poupon on its roof..., no..., wait..., that was on TV.

I usually warm up the car for 30 sec or so. Got in my garage one morning, found that I forgot my glasses. I decided to start the car then go back in the house to look for the glasses. Here is the startup procedure on that day:

- While STANDING OUTSIDE the car on the driver's side with door open, I INSERTED the key with my RIGHT HAND, and DEPRESSED the clutch with my RIGHT FOOT

- With right hand and right foot inside the car, I STARTED the car then RELEASED the clutch

- BAAAAAM

The car was parked in 1st gear ... I forgot, as I was thinking hard where to find the glasses, to put the car in neutral before releasing the clutch ... so it jumped forward hitting a garage cabinet in front of it

Luckily no injuries ... only some damage to the front bumper and the cabinet.

Probably this tops the "dumbest thing ..." list

Was in a real rush one evening...backed out of the garage without opening the door first !!!! Duh !!! Lucky for me I was not reversing at full speed...so only a tiny mark on the rear bumper.

Some years ago my wife reversed the car out of the garage which was a real shame because the night before I'd reversed it in...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689304 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409080 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255690 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234943 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65498 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857889 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773890 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM