Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Week away from submitting my spec - pic request

Hi all, think it's about time I introduce myself - i've been a spectator for a fair few months now, and having a build date for May, thought it's about time to start asking some questions!

I have decided on the basic spec so far as follows :

Basalt black
    Carrera Red leather (deviating black carpet or not?)
    Sports Chrono
    Body coloured front/rear splitter + side skirts
    Adaptive sport seats
    Heated seats
    Parking sensors
    Crests on headrests
    Possible all red rear lights

I know this is a pretty basic spec for interior, especially compared to some of you but my budget is Pounds110k, Pounds107 for the car, as it currently is + about Pounds2-3k on insurance....

I have 2 main things i need to decide :

Carrera Red with black carpet, or red (with black floormats)

And standard red + white rear lights, or the all red...

Some pictures of the above would really be helpful if possible...

And another question, my dealer said that the all red lights are a new option on the turbo introduced very recently so will differentiate my car from older ones - is this true?

Also, 2 weeks ago there was an ipod interface available in the center arm rest that charges and allows control from the PDC - however he now says porsche has deleted this option for the time being - any ideas on what the situation is there?

Thanks for any help guys!

Vinnie

Re: Week away from submitting my spec - pic reques

Hello Vinnie83,

Congratulations on your purchase. Black/Red is always a good choice.

The standard equipment is pretty good on the Turbo (unlike the Carrera). IMHO:
    - The 997 interior is not designed for deviated carpets. Stick to red carpets and black floor mats.
    - Ditch the painted spoilers/skirts. Your car is black, people won't notice. Since you might need to change the front spoiler often, you may as well keep it in worry-free plastic.
    - Ditch the full rear lights. They look odd, because the upper half (where the white part used to be) does still look different from the lower half.
    - Use the money to get full leather treatment for the rear console (options XMZ + CDZ + either CUV (turbo logo) or CPT (Porsche crest)), door finishers (XTV) and sun visors (XMP).

Regarding the iPod option, it was garbage anyway. Get a Dension Gateway 500 instead.

Hmm you think that it's not noticeable to have un-painted spoilers/skirts on basalt black?

The problem is really that due to the rarity of these cars, and the fact that dealers tend only to have one at a time in stock if that, it's difficult for me to go and see any in the flesh to compare - and pics on the computer can vary!

Suppose it makes sense - will have to search out pics and see if it looks any different - any basalt owners with or without painted skirts care to lend a hand?

If you KNOW they're not painted and WANT to see they're not, you'll notice. Otherwise, you won't. Especially with the traditional British weather. You won't even be able to see under the layer of grime most of the time.

Hmmm I do suppose you have a point - I think that this would allow for about Pounds1.5k to be spent elsewhere, so may well consider the interior options you mentioned.... however, sun visors in leather - would it really be noticeable?

If I were you I'd definitely get the red tails especially on black.

Get all black carpets, that side area of the foot well looks a little too cushy when in a light color, IMO.

Definitely get the rear center console in leather...

Also keep in mind with black carpets in the back the red seats will look a lot more pronounced because they will be surrounded by black carpet.

Here's what black floor matts do:

@MMD:
    He's ordering a car with a red interior, not a bicolor interior. Major difference IMHO.
    Besides, as I said earlier, the 997 interior is not designed for deviated carpets, because the door speakers ruin the look. It's just not coherent. Black floor mats are the better compromise.

@vinnie83:
    Leather sun visors are a must IMHO. The standard plastic sun visors look out of place in a Pounds100k car. You get to see them and touch them more often than you think.

Here are some shots of Black with Carrera Red to get some ideas:

The black and red goes so well - it's a combination i fell in love with in a SL55 amg i was going to get, but then saw the light and decided porsche was the way forward!

Re the red tail lights - just thought it would look good with the black and red theme...

If I'm not bothering with (and the more I think about it, it seems sensible not to bother with them) the painted skirts and splitters etc then I'll be able to spend about Pounds1.5k on leather bits on the inside, so rear center console is probably the most likely, plus whatever I have money left for....

Will also be looking to get some twin pipe replacements for the current horrid looking triangular items - looks like they belong on a honda civic!

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    Definitely get the rear center console in leather...

I second that. It rounds off the interior and makes it much warmer in appearence.

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    Hello Vinnie83,

Congratulations on your purchase. Black/Red is always a good choice.

The standard equipment is pretty good on the Turbo (unlike the Carrera). IMHO:
    - The 997 interior is not designed for deviated carpets. Stick to red carpets and black floor mats.
    - Ditch the painted spoilers/skirts. Your car is black, people won't notice. Since you might need to change the front spoiler often, you may as well keep it in worry-free plastic.
    - Ditch the full rear lights. They look odd, because the upper half (where the white part used to be) does still look different from the lower half.
    - Use the money to get full leather treatment for the rear console (options XMZ + CDZ + either CUV (turbo logo) or CPT (Porsche crest)), door finishers (XTV) and sun visors (XMP).

Regarding the iPod option, it was garbage anyway. Get a Dension Gateway 500 instead.

Good advise imo.
    I'd ditch the painted pieces outside too. Unless you plan on getting the car covered w/ protective film there's no way you should paint the areas Porsche doesnt because those areas are the 1st ones to get trashed from road sand etc. Plus for me it's a weird thing I have about painting the side rockers. There's an inch or so strip of wrinkled paint (see pic below) that normally marks the end of regular paint, it's painted wrinkled to be tougher to withstand constant bombardment from sand, rocks, etc. Under the wrinkled piece is the dark grey piece. When you paint the rockers it then puts regular paint under the tougher wrinkled paint which just looks weird to me, I mean why have a strip of wrinkled paint above regular paint? I know, I know it's kinda weird that I over analyze this stuff but I do. I feel the same (almost) about the front. It makes sense when the front spoiler is unpainted & a seperate piece but once it's painted why would there be a seperate piece & line there again? It's not that I think it looks really bad when painted, matter of fact on a white, Red, Silver car it makes much more sense then on a Black or Basalt car, just my 2 cents. I agree w/ The Groom, I'd use that money instead for the interior w/ a leather consule, & Turbo logo storage compartment which also gives you a stitch that matches the leather consule really well. The leather sunvisors are nice too because they cover a large plastic/vinyl area that is right in front of you w/ leather. Had them on my 997 S Cabrio. & ordered them on my Turbo Cab. If you can swing the leather light surround too the leather & stitch covers a large area that is also plastic otherwise.

Agree w/ him on the lights too. IMO if they came all red stock & the red & white lens was the option instead I bet there would be twice as many people buying the red & white optional lens. Regarding what your dealer said - It doesn't mean the car was built later because the All Red lenses are easy to buy & install. Matter of fact you would be better off buying them from a place like Suncoast that has them for $465.00 then paying Porsche $750. Plus if you bought them yourself not only would you save $300 you would have both pairs the Red ones & the Red & white ones from the factory.
    http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/mercha..._Code=997lights

I know this isnt something you are considering but IMO the Jet Black is so much hotter looking w/ a Red Interior than Basalt. I was going to get Basalt it was in my spec till the last minute & switched to Black. With Basalt there's gold & blue metallic flakes in the paint, cool looking but more for a black interior IMO. W/ Jet Black that Red Interior looks amazing! Reminds me of the older 60's Vettes that were Black & Red interior, one of THE nicest color combos. Matter of fact if I had gone w/ steel brakes (Red) instead of PCCB's (yellow) I would have gotten the Red Interior.

I know it's not my car but if it was I'd ditch the parking helper too & get LSD instead. If your budget can swing it I'd add ECA & then your interior would be great. W/ the addition of the leather consule & logo storage/ add ECA & you'd be set taking your budget in consideration.....Hmmmmmmmmm Could you swing $350 for XPA - Thicker steering wheel? ........... Congrats & welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's ECA from Jason's Car

ECA

XZD Dome lamp in leather

Leather sunvisors

XPA Thicker steering wheel

It's clear everyone has their own opionio re: any cosmetic option. For what it's worth, I'm a big fan of the all red tail lights. I think it looks more unified. As to when to do it (order/aftermarket), that's your call. The factory price is stupid ($750), but you already know that.

Good luck.

PS. I have had my car for about 2,000 miles. This is the best 911 ever...

I think I forgot to add that it's a tiptronic car! so no go on LSD - and is aluminium handbrake and gear stick available with tip?

The thicker steering wheel is a no cost option afaik on the turbo here, so it's already part of my spec instead of the multi function wheel..

And the red lights are about Pounds300 here, which is about 600 dollars, but not quite a big chunk of the price as it seems over there in the states.....

I am thinking possibly of black PCM and Black painted rear center console? as in the picture above of the teracotta car.....

The aluminum handbrake and leather-aluminum gear stick that Stradale showed (option ECA) is not available with Tiptronic.

There is, however, an upgraded leather-aluminum handbrake (option CFP)
    shown in the black/tan interior below:

Regarding the black PCM and rear console: only together with black carpets. IMHO you'd need a bicolor interior to get a matching black top half. Which is not available together with Carrera Red.
    By the way, the price of the painted (or leather) PCM option is outrageous.

I had noticed about the painted PCM - around Pounds900 - $1800!!

But certainly only black rear console if I go for the black carpets - the top half will remain red - I looked into getting it all black as with a bi-colour, but all the add on leather bits to make it all black was about an extra Pounds2500 so decided against it.... dont understant why porsche dont do a carrera red+ black interior - so much nicer than terracotta!

Quote:
    vinnie83 said:
    I think I forgot to add that it's a tiptronic car! so no go on LSD - and is aluminium handbrake and gear stick available with tip?

The thicker steering wheel is a no cost option afaik on the turbo here, so it's already part of my spec instead of the multi function wheel..

And the red lights are about Pounds300 here, which is about 600 dollars, but not quite a big chunk of the price as it seems over there in the states.....

I am thinking possibly of black PCM and Black painted rear center console? as in the picture above of the teracotta car.....

I would double check that re: the thicker steering wheel. The option is XPA. I haven't heard that it comes standard in the U.K.

Just one guys opinion but I dont like exterior paint in the interior. Leather center consule & leather PCM would be much nicer than painted ones.

lpcm

lpcm2

lpcm3
    I love this interior. Mine will be somewhat similiar except in Black with a 6-speed (ECA). But the way the CF center consule looks w/ the Turbo logo storage compartment is the cats meow!

You can also do leather seatbacks w/ leather clothes hooks. I selected this option along w/ the leather PCM which eliminates the vast majority of vulcan grey plastic.

Just to throw out some more ideas, besides the CF center consule w/ Turbo lid my other favorite interior area is the below, the CF illum. outer sills w/ the leather inner sills. Yumm~~~~~

hmmmmmmm as nice as the above pictures look, the cf bits would bump my price up quite considerably! so unfortunately, would have to remain cf free

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    764868 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    436867 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261216 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258091 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82709 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5331 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877188 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    809346 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM