Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche Turbo cab or 360 Spyder

The other day I visited my Porsche dealer and found that the build date for the '08 Turbo Cab I ordered is the 7th of March. This should put the car here in April or May just in time for summer. This is exciting, but also made me wonder if I was making the right decision. Yesterday on a fluke I stopped by a Ferrari dealership and test drove a 360 Spyder. I had owned a Testarossa a couple of years ago and did not like it at all as it was not an easy car to drive and seemed to have a never ending list of things going wrong. But, I have to say that the 360 is a great car to drive and is approximately the same price as the turbo cab.

I'd assume that some on this board have had the pleasure of owning both cars. Assuming you had the choice of either, which would you choose and why? I will put about 5K miles on the car a year and have no desire to track the car. I'm a perfectionist, take very good care of my cars and enjoy doing some of the maintenace myself. The tradeoffs as I see them are: New car with warrantee vs. used with no warrantee, 4 year old vs. 10 year old technology, 480hp vs. 400 hp, the Ferrari has already taken the major depreciation hit, creature comforts are a bit better in the Porsche, Ferrari repair costs vs. Porsche (probably not a major issue on the 360), exotic vs. mass market (not that any $150K vehicle is mass market). I drove the F1 and was very impressed with the performance. Is this transmission reliable over a 4 to 5 year expected ownership?

Any guidance in this decision will be greatly appreciated. By the way I'm currently driving, when the weather improves, an '07 C2S cab and do like it very much.

Re: Porsche Turbo cab or 360 Spyder

Those cars are a decade+ apart from technology point of view. Drove 360 spider F1 and that car could not do what a 996tts could do, let alone a 997tt. So there is only one answer to your question really.
    Not to mention the other parametres such as ease of use- not only everyday but also while pushing the car hard-, reliability etc etc.

If you like your C2S Cab why bother with the TT? They essentially look the same and performance though better in the TT is something you would rarely use.

There is no doubt that the 360 Spider is more exotic, fun to drive and exclusive. Yet, it is old technology and when compared to the 430 is not in the same league.

My recommendation is not to do anything and wait. The 430 Spiders and TT Cabs should be coming down in price particularly the TT Cab.

Use what you have, save your money and decide later. At least for, since now your mind is wandering why spend over $150,000 on car that will be very similar to what you already own.

The 360 is a Dinosaur. Buy the Turbo cab.

Unlike "practical" Porsches, I think your net worth should be at or near eight figures before owning a Ferrari makes any sense.

Nothing against the 360 Spider, I love that car but it just doesnt compare to the 997 Turbo Cabrio. Except maybe for it's wow factor. Really depends what makes you more happy, driving a car to be seen & gawked at or the better all round, everyday, anywhere, do anything performer. Also need to consider a bunch of other factors, in a couple of years the 360 is going to look as outdated as the 355 Spider looks now when the 430's replacement is out, if that matters to you. The 997 Turbo Cab is the swiss army knife of the sports car world, dont know if you have kids but if so it would be a no brainer in that case. The 360 Spider while beautiful to look at as long as the top is down isnt really a car that feels very fast. It definitely wont get your heart pumpin when you nail the throttle BUT when modded w/ an exhaust can change that because of the sound. For the 997 Turbo - For the people that ask when do I use the kind of power my response is - Every single time I floor the throttle. Every single time I floor the car I'm using every ounce of it's HP & Torque. I dont understand how car guys dont get that. Anyway it really depends on what makes you happy if you get the Turbo Cab there's no reason why you couldnt use the car 2 or three times more than the expected 5k miles you mentioned, I plan to use mine at least 12-15k a year. Love my 430 but because of circumstance, ground clearance, lack of visibility, only 2 seats, 2 wheel drive, NY weather, etc. it's more of a nice weekend car. Now if you were considering a 430 Spider vs. the 997 Turbo Cabrio that would be a closer, more difficult decision but for me I'd still pick the 997 Turbo Cabrio because I know I would be using & enjoying the car twice as much. For me if I could only keep one sports car my incoming Turbo Cabrio or my F430, I'd keep the Porsche. Good luck!

My suggestion 997 C2 Cab and 430 Coupe, the perfect combination.

Sadly you can get TWO 997TT for the price of a 430 spyder... Not in the same money league.

If absolute performance is not your priority, I would recommend to test drive a Aston Vantage V8 roadster. A few of us decided to go that route instead of getting the 997TT.

360 spyder? 10 year old car, I wouldn't even consider it unless you already have several other sports car. But then you could afford a 430...

Stomp the accelerator, wait two seconds for the turbo's to spool up and then go. Two seconds later, hit the brakes.

Honestly, do you really believe the 997TT would be more fun to drive than the 997C2S? The TT may have more power but the C2S has RWD with plenty of power. The TT AWD other than in snow or inclement weather, is a fun killer.

Save your money and stick with what you have. You need to do some serious introspection to determine what you really want. In the meantime, you have a car which you enjoy very much.

The turbo's power is so much more useable than most other sports cars because it can be used from such low revs. Just because is screams like motherfreaker in the mid and upper portion of it's rpm range doesn't mean it's not useable. For daily driving, there's more of an arguement for the turbo than the C2S.

And Gregg... one of your reasons for the turbo is awd because of the NY winters; you're not kidding anyone brother (haha). We all know that your beauty will never see water unless it's bottled water for washing. (You know I am joking... well, kind of.) .

Thanks for all the helpful input. It would be so much easier if it could be boiled down to 0-60 times or the like, but clearly there is a large subjective portion that is to be considered. The comments on the C2S were particularly interesting and that is an alternative that needs to be considered. Glad I consulted the experts. Thanks again.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Honestly, do you really believe the 997TT would be more fun to drive than the 997C2S? The TT may have more power but the C2S has RWD with plenty of power.

Plenty of power compared to a Mini maybe. I guess since I had a 997 S cab for over 2 years I can answer your question - Yes. That's one of the things I didnt like about my S, it was down on power. Hit the throttle in the lower revs & the wait is A LOT worse than the Turbo's Turbo lag in any gear, at any rev.

I think you're funny Nick, you've never owned any of these cars but you think your opinion of the car & fun of ownership is more valueable than guys that have actually owned the cars.

Matter of fact have you even driven either car the 997 S or Turbo for more than an hour or 2? You've at least driven both, yes?

Quote:
    devo said:
    The turbo's power is so much more useable than most other sports cars because it can be used from such low revs. Just because is screams like motherfreaker in the mid and upper portion of it's rpm range doesn't mean it's not useable. For daily driving, there's more of an arguement for the turbo than the C2S.

And Gregg... one of your reasons for the turbo is awd because of the NY winters; you're not kidding anyone brother (haha). We all know that your beauty will never see water unless it's bottled water for washing. (You know I am joking... well, kind of.) .

LoL! True but true of my F430 not my 911.......

I've already ordered tpms sensors to put on my Champion wheels because I am going to use the stock rims /tpms sensors & all-season tires (that I will buy next fall) for winter driving. Will I take the car out of the garage if there is already a ft. of snow? No, I have an SUV for that but will drive it year round. I didn't drive my S cab in the snow but used it to commute everyday, wet roads or not & plan to use the Turbo even more.

Quote:
    nberry said:

Honestly, do you really believe the 997TT would be more fun to drive than the 997C2S?

For a mere road car the TT is infinitely more fun; I know this from owning both.

PCA:

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Honestly, do you really believe the 997TT would be more fun to drive than the 997C2S? The TT may have more power but the C2S has RWD with plenty of power.

Plenty of power compared to a Mini maybe. I guess since I had a 997 S cab for over 2 years I can answer your question - Yes. That's one of the things I didnt like about my S, it was down on power. Hit the throttle in the lower revs & the wait is A LOT worse than the Turbo's Turbo lag in any gear, at any rev.

I think you're funny Nick, you've never owned any of these cars but you think your opinion of the car & fun of ownership is more valueable than guys that have actually owned the cars.

Matter of fact have you even driven either car the 997 S or Turbo for more than an hour or 2? You've at least driven both, yes?

Yes my opinion is valuable because I am not biased toward one car or the other. I have driven both and though not as long as owners enough to form an opinion.

People MUST distinguish between power and fun. You can have as much if not more fun in a car with less hp. The TT with AWD is numbing. That is why Porsche positioned it as a GT car and not a performance/track car. I would wager not many of us would be able to extract the optimum performance out of the C2S and yet we want another 100hp?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Yes my opinion is valuable because I am not biased toward one car or the other. I have driven both and though not as long as owners enough to form an opinion.

People MUST distinguish between power and fun. You can have as much if not more fun in a car with less hp. The TT with AWD is numbing. That is why Porsche positioned it as a GT car and not a performance/track car. I would wager not many of us would be able to extract the optimum performance out of the C2S and yet we want another 100hp?

Yeah, you're "not biased" of the C2S or the Turbo you think BOTH cars are awful. Nick -------- "not biased" when YOU'RE talking about Porsche's???????????? Come on............

Like I said above I don't buy the arguement that we cant make use & extract the HP/Tq of a car like the C2S or the 997 Turbo. EVERY single time my foot hits the floor w/ the accelerator I'm using every single ounce of the cars HP & Torque. Every single time I shift at redline I'm using every bit of that cars HP& torque. Is the feeling much different from the C2S to the Turbo? HELL YEAH it is! Dont you ever nail the throttle in your 430? If you think it's absurd that people would want/need another 100 HP then why even bother going from a 360 Spider (your previous car) to the 430 Spider? I mean I've owned a 360 & 430 too & can say that the biggest difference is in fact the power, for driving feeling they're more alike (the 360 Spider/430 Spider) than a C2S & Turbo. So a guy that sells his 360 Spider for a 430 Spider that makes sense to you (obviously since you have) but a guy selling his C2S for a Turbo is crazy because a C2S is powerful enough. Okay, I get it.

I've owned my 977S for over three years now. Yes, I find myself wanting more power. I've floored the throttle many times and it's left me wanting more. So, yes, I've extracted 100% of the power already and I want more. A turbo (which I've already test driven) would be a step in the right direction for me.

I am not playing down hp. What I am saying is hp does not mean the more you have the more fun the car will be. I guess its like can you be happy without money. Of course, the anwer is yes. But then again, can you be happier if you also had money? Most would say yes though studies have shown otherwise.

BTW, if it is power/torque your after, there are better alternatives than Porsche. Also FWIW, I drive the 997TT and C2S with the thought of a future purchase given my concern about Ferrari marketing/models. The TT had gobbles of power but I hated the stick. If they come out with a sequential tranny, it certainly will be on my list.

The C2S was fun to drive. Granted it did not have the TT power, nevertheless it provided more than enough for most occasions including entering freeways.

Keep this in mind. Porsche has made its reputation on building cars with less hp.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I am not playing down hp. What I am saying is hp does not mean the more you have the more fun the car will be. I guess its like can you be happy without money. Of course, the anwer is yes. But then again, can you be happier if you also had money? Most would say yes though studies have shown otherwise.

BTW, if it is power/torque your after, there are better alternatives than Porsche. Also FWIW, I drive the 997TT and C2S with the thought of a future purchase given my concern about Ferrari marketing/models. The TT had gobbles of power but I hated the stick. If they come out with a sequential tranny, it certainly will be on my list.

The C2S was fun to drive. Granted it did not have the TT power, nevertheless it provided more than enough for most occasions including entering freeways.

Keep this in mind. Porsche has made its reputation on building cars with less hp.

I guess it all depends on what makes you happy. I know that FOR ME the power of the 997 S didnt make me happy. Compared to all the other sports cars I've owned recently it was the only one w/ under 400HP. And honestly it felt underpowered. But at the time (2005) I really wanted a Convertible 911 (I just sold my 996 Turbo) knowing I was going to buy the 997 Turbo Cab when it came out. When you squeeze the right pedal in the Turbo that feeling of relentless pulling is addicting. To me that's FUN! The S is a great, great car but if you've driven enough miles to feel confident in the S, the way the car pulls feels a little lethargic (to me anyway) especially when you're in places with wide open highway.

RE: "if it is power/torque your after, there are better alternatives than Porsche" - Not for my situation there isnt. Definitely has to be a convertible and a 2+2 (2 kids 8yrs & 6 yrs old) that ALSO love to go for drives w/ Mom & Dad vs. when I take my wife for a drive in the 430. And has all-wheel drive. There's not a car that I know of that fits those criteria w/ the HP & Torque of the Turbo Cab. The Turbo Cab is faster than the Gallardo Spider & it has 2 small rear seats. An SL65 is faster in a straight line but gets left in the dust the minute the car needs to corner. There's not another car in the world (IMO) that can do everything the Turbo Cab does. On top of that it does it's thing not w/ 12 or 10 or even 8 cylinders & can get decent gas mileage! .. Plus I know you dont care for the looks of the 911 but I love the way it looks. Even more importantly I am completely addicted to the feel of the way the car drives. I am more comfortable & confident driving a 911 than any other sports car I've ever driven, period. It's an indescribable feeling when you feel at one w/ the car when you're driving aggressively. I LOVE my F430 & get that feeling too but only when I'm one of the very few people on the road. I think a lot of it has to do w/ the seating position but with the 911 even when driving in light traffic I feel like I can make the car do stuff I would never attempt in other sports cars, you just feel so connected,,,,, dialed in..... It's the epitome of FUN!

I have a car w/ the paddle tranny (F1 F430) so even if the Turbo was available w/ PDK right now I would still spec. mine w/ a 6-speed for various reasons. I really enjoy the differences of both.

What do you say Nick about the 430 successor in terms of timing? Orders would start around when?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

I kind of agree with nick here.

People are gonna hang me because I don't own a P and I had only the opportunity to drive a couple of times the S and the turbo but the S is enough fun to make you think before spending a lot more on a turbo.

I especially loved the C4s. The turbo didn't felt that fast at all. It felt less dramatic to be honest. The best offer from porsche is the 997 GT3. The GT3 should be more expensive than the turbo IMHO as it's ten times more fun to drive.

Anyway, I still loved the turbo but it didn't felt 125bhp more powerfull than an S. Or more fun, because this what it's all about here: FUN. Well fun wise, a simple carrera S is fine by me. Want more fun, get a GT3.

That leads me to wonder where the turbo stands in all this. I guess people who wants a fast daily 4wd car will be happier with it than with a c2s. But who else? Those who want ore fun will get the GT3, won't they?

I'm in fairly good shape financially and a friend of mine is in incredibly good shape financially. He dumped his last Ferrari several years ago when he realized that they just are way too expensive for the return. He had a 456. I think he had it just to say to himself that he had a Ferrari (he also had a Testarossa, a Countach, and an early Maserati) and had been a serious Porsche guy for decades. Now he simply races his race cars and has nothing stellar for the streets.

I hear you and understand.

"What do you say Nick about the 430 successor in terms of timing? Orders would start around when? "

Great question. I have long believed we would see something this fall. However, since the California CT rumors are so strong I am beginning to serious doubt the time table. If they introduce the GT this fall then we will see the 430 replacement fall 2009. If the Gt turns out to be nothing more than a rumor, then we will the 430 replacement much sooner. This much I know. I will not buy the 2+2 front engine new model.

Dan, your friend was right in dumping the 456. One of the worst models Ferrari ever introduced. A real dog.

Quote:
    amazon said:

People are gonna hang me because I don't own a P and I had only the opportunity to drive a couple of times the S and the turbo but the S is enough fun to make you think before spending a lot more on a turbo.

I especially loved the C4s. The turbo didn't felt that fast at all. It felt less dramatic to be honest. The best offer from porsche is the 997 GT3. The GT3 should be more expensive than the turbo IMHO as it's ten times more fun to drive.

Anyway, I still loved the turbo but it didn't felt 125bhp more powerfull than an S. Or more fun, because this what it's all about here: FUN. Well fun wise, a simple carrera S is fine by me. Want more fun, get a GT3.

That leads me to wonder where the turbo stands in all this. I guess people who wants a fast daily 4wd car will be happier with it than with a c2s. But who else? Those who want ore fun will get the GT3, won't they?

Probably because you were not use to the car did the 997S feel like it had more than enough power to you. Own the same car for a little while and it WILL feel like you want more.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I hear you and understand.

"What do you say Nick about the 430 successor in terms of timing? Orders would start around when? "

Great question. I have long believed we would see something this fall. However, since the California CT rumors are so strong I am beginning to serious doubt the time table. If they introduce the GT this fall then we will see the 430 replacement fall 2009. If the Gt turns out to be nothing more than a rumor, then we will the 430 replacement much sooner. This much I know. I will not buy the 2+2 front engine new model.

Dan, your friend was right in dumping the 456. One of the worst models Ferrari ever introduced. A real dog.

Cool. Thanks!
    Late 2009 would actually be perfect for me, that would be a 3 year hold for my F430 when the warranty expires. If I remember correctly you purchased an extended warranty? Think Ferrari was asking people do that on the Spiders to prevent some flipping?

I'm in no hurry to sell my car the way it came out being one of the last F430's with CF racing seats & maybe one of the only cars that got both the dual color interior and racing seats..... I'm in no hurry that is until I see the replacement.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    amazon said:

Probably because you were not use to the car did the 997S feel like it had more than enough power to you. Own the same car for a little while and it WILL feel like you want more.

That's what I said above too, it's what I was trying to explain ... The car feels plenty strong if you're on a test drive when it's all new to you but once you've owned it a while driven 5, 10k miles you get really used to that kind of power / torque. Torque wise (295 lb/ft) it's really not that great at all for a high end sports car. ..... Compare the 295 to 505 lb/ft of the Turbo.

I think Alan has a very good point....you can get used to almost ANY car's power/performance and eventually want more.

My problem, in today's world of heavy traffic and speed restrictions/penalties, is that, having ALMOST lost my licence in my C2S (saved by Nick Freeman, but at some cost) I just KNOW I'd definitely lose it in a TT.

When I test drove one a year ago, I thought I must have one. Now, having test driven one again, I have visions of having to look at it sitting in the garage while I commute by bicycle.

I've owned many sports cars over the years but 'driving conditions' have changed so dramatically that much of the fun has gone... forever.

I love track events, but would never use my own car - much prefer single seaters.

For these reasons..IMHO.. the C2S is the ultimate compromise for everyday driving. I'll be checking out the facelift.

nberry....I agree this time.

Humans will be humans....one quickly becomes jaded re: tq (or whatever) re: any car when it's a daily commuter car....and there's always a new iteration every 6-12mos w/better straight-line tq delivery and/or twisties steering/chassis/brakes nuances.....isn't tech innovation great????

Had 997TT Tip/PCCB some ?18mos ago....paper tq figures are meaningless....its turbo lag made its effective tq fairly weak for those accustomed to AMG tq....

Had SL65 some 18mos ago....great tq, but its traction, even on dry, uneven CA pavement was weak...drive my CL63 faster than 65 as CL63 has far more confidence-inspiring tq/traction balance....and, IMO, '07 SL65 had better chassis damping/stability than '07 997TT in mtn twisties...drove them back-to-back in twisties: preferred 65....

Don't know how bad places like London and NYC regions have become for car nuts in recent yrs, but, in SF region, one can still easily differentiate/enjoy cars w/varying straight-line tq/linearity...and steering/chassis stability/brakes/safety balance in local mtn twisties....

If it's power or speed, or acceleration you want, buy a Ford GT. A highly modified P car will put you in the same price range, and, in come cases, even higher.

The GT is faster than any thing discussed here, in most all arenas, and they are going up in value, not dropping like a rock in depreciation.

The 997TT Tip will probably pull the GT in 0-30 mph because of it's unbelievable traction and hole shot. After that, there's no way any P car, unless highly modified (and then there's the available GT mods that will also play into this comment) can compete with the GT in almost any arena. A road course track may be close because the P-car TT is so well balanced, but the GT will win simply due to it's incredible hp.

Anyway, good luck on what you are trying to accomplish! I hope you find it.

Regards,

B

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM