Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Factory Collection

I am planning to collect my car a Boxster from Stuttgart in May. I would appreciate any advice on what works and anything to avoid. Our current plans are to fly out on a Thursday, collect to the car on Friday and spend the weekend traveling back to the UK. Any suggestions of places to stay and visit would be good. Thanks

Re: Factory Collection

I stopped overnight in Reims and had a tour of a Champagne house, which was excellent. If you're into wine, a trip to Burgundy would be good too.

Next time I would probably detour North towards Spa in Belgium and enjoy the twisties

Via: 986faq.com This information is old but still relevant.

Porsche offers its customers the option (for a price) to pick-up their car at the Porsche factory in Zuffenhausen. It is an opportunity to see the place where "Porsches are born" and visit with others that are enjoying the experience of a new Porsche. The Tourist Delivery option (Option TD4) costs $1150 and includes the following:

Suggested Tourist Delivery vehicle prices are the same as domestic delivery prices. No discount.
    PCNA will absorb the 2.5% Customs Duty and the Port Processing Fee.
    A refundable VAT deposit ($6500 on a Boxster) is due at final payment time for the vehicle. The amount plus interest will be refunded when the vehicle arrives in the U.S.
    The option price of $1150 includes:
    The factory tour.
    Two lavish dinners and drinks for two.
    A bus trip to the restaurant on Friday night.
    A bus ride to Zuffenhausen and Weissac where they serve a nice lunch.
    The test track ride of a life-time.
    The option price does not include:
    The cost of staying at the Graf Zeppelin Hotel (about $350 a night).
    Parking at the hotel.
    Meals other than those mentioned above.
    Travel expenses to Stuttgart.
    The Tourist Delivery Car Order Form and a $1000 deposit must be submitted to PCNA at the time of order. PCNA will need to a copy of your passport when you order the option.
    Tourist Delivery is available on new models after the initial announcement date in the U.S.
    Two Grand Tours are schedules per calendar year, one in the Spring and one in the Fall.
    The Grand Tour includes social activities, factory tour, lunch at the Porsche factory, and a trip around the Porsche test track with an engineer. It also covers insurance on the car while in Germany and the import fee. PAG provides two weeks of insurance for your Boxster while you are in Europe. If you are going to stay longer, PCNA will arrange for additional coverage. An extra two weeks costs $200, which is paid when the car is picked up.

Berkeley Johnson's web site, http://www.industryfigure.com/berkeley/Porsche/Germany/TouristDelivery.htm , includes a good account of his experience with tourist delivery.

Good Luck!

I posted the following thread here on Rennteam following my own factory collection experience. You may find something useful in it:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat...&PHPSESSID=

Thanks everyone, some really useful information as usual. Black Forrest & Champagne look likely stop off points at the moment. I need to consider the other suggestions before final route planning.

congrats!! nice specs...

Since Boxsters are built in Finland, how does it make sense to pick them up in Stuttgart? Are the cars returned to Stuttgart in any event?

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Since Boxsters are built in Finland, how does it make sense to pick them up in Stuttgart? Are the cars returned to Stuttgart in any event?

There are a handful of places in Europe that serve as "return centres" so that the customer can arrange dropoff according to his/her vacation schedule.

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Are the cars returned to Stuttgart in any event?

If I remember correctly, the cars from Finland (Boxster/Cayman) should be delivered by ferry and appear in Emden or Bremerhaven, where transfer of the US vehicles start from as well. They use the same train that brought the American cars to the harbour to carry them back to Stuttgart. Not sure about Finnish customers...

Boxsters constructed in Finland are moved to Stuttgart for Tourist delivery.

There is an ongoing debate about whether or not ticking tourist delivery makes your boxster more likely to be CONSTRUCTED in Stuttgart (only a small percentage are, and most are bound for German customers or have LOTS of exclusive options).

All speculation

I'm afraid to disappoint but ticking the tourist delivery box will not guarantee that your Boxster/Cayman will be made in Zuffenhausen.

For example, between August 07 and mid Nov 07, only 2 Boxster/Cayman have been assembled in Zuffenhausen !!!

Production (Aug 07 - Mid Nov 07)
    Boxster/Cayman: 7,670
    o/w Valmet: 7,668
    o/w Zuffenhausen: 2

During FY 05/06, only 285 Boxster/Cayman were manufactured in Zuffenhausen out of a total of 30,680 units or less than 1%

If the 997 was to decline, then we would see more Boxster/Cayman made in Germany. For now, they are basically all made in Finland.

Thanks Eric. I had not planned a trip to Finland. How would this work, would the car be manufactured in Finland and transported to Stuttgart for collection?

All cars are factory collected in Zuffenhausen. I picked up my US Spec 987S in May '06 in Stuttgart of course I live here in Germany so I didn't do "Tourist Delivery" but still all factory deliveries are done there.

Maybe if it were a Porsche plant it would be different for example the Leipzig plant and Cayenne factory collection.

Thanks again, back to plan A. I assume the same is true of the RS60 Spider?

Quote:
    DMF said:
    Thanks again, back to plan A. I assume the same is true of the RS60 Spider?

Factory Delivery (Zuffenhausen)

We collected our Boxster from the factory in October 2006 - goodness, was it THAT long ago

Here's a link to the post relating to our own factory collection,

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=275426&an=0&page=10#275426

As you probably know, all the travel arrangements are made for you, single flight out for two people, hotel accommodation (half board) in Stuttgart and transfer the following morning to The Factory. It also includes return travel through the Channel Tunnel. We changed this to the Calais - Dover Ferry, as SWMBO is claustrophobic and doesn't like tunnels. I must admit to preferring the ferry being an old sea-dog. This alteration cost nothing, but I suggest you get a flexible ticket, as we were held up by an accident in Belgium and the dreaded Kennedy Tunnel in Antwerp and we narrowly missed our booked departure time.

We travelled from Stuttgart up to Rheindahlen, near Dusseldorf to spend a couple of days with my wife's daughter and her family who were stationed in the army base there at the time.

When at the Factory, have a wander round the small museum (until the flash new one opens), enjoy the fascinating and informative production line tour, have super lunch in the Factory Restaurant (all included) and don't forget to get your photograph taken with your car in the handover room. (Here's our collection photo with our new baby).

Lastly remember you only get nine days insurance cover with the collection package and you have to present your car to your UK dealer within 14 days of collection for a further delivery inspection, where your UK number plates will be fitted. Collecton T's and C's are in our collection post, if you haven't received your copy yet.

Have fun and enjoy!

Thanks Dreamcar, starting to talk about and plan the trip is all part of the build up. May seems so far off but I guess it will be here soon enough.
    You're colour choice looks fantastic in fact my first choice.

Quote:
    DMF said:
    Thanks Dreamcar, starting to talk about and plan the trip is all part of the build up. May seems so far off but I guess it will be here soon enough.
    You're colour choice looks fantastic in fact my first choice.

Yes it's all pretty exciting and of course you get the Porsche Stuttgart PDI stamp in your service book rather than just a mundance dealer stamp!

What spec have you chosen?

I have gone for the RS60 Spider so GT Silver it is! Although my wife is happy as this was her preferred colour but as I said I would have chosen Cobalt blue. The red interior was too much for my tastes so I have taken the alternative dark grey option. As I am hoping to keep the car for a few years I have added a number of hopefully useful extras.

My factory collection pack arrived today and as you indicated contained the outline of the events for the two days.

Quote:
    DMF said:
    As I am hoping to keep the car for a few years I have added a number of hopefully useful extras.

What have you gone for?

The Spider comes with PASM, sports exhaust, leather sports seats, 19" Sports Design wheels and I have added the following:-

Cruise control
    Automatic air conditioning
    Heated seats
    Bi-xenon headlights
    Park Assist
    Automatic dimming mirrors
    Wind deflector
    Coloured wheel centres
    Bose surround sites
    PCM - Sat Nav
    Telephone module
    Music interface

That's about it!!!

Sounds like a good spec choice, congratulations. I'd thoroughly recommend adding TPMS, if you still can, it's a great safety feature and very re-assuring.

That will be a great car

Thanks guys, now patient's is a virtue!!

Great spec!

I thoroughly recommend TPMS too especially if you do high speed stuff.

You'll love the factory collection-I did it in October and especially lunch which was super.

Advice taken and TPMS added today.

Quote:
    DMF said:
    Advice taken and TPMS added today.

Well done, you won't regret it.

It's going to be awesome!

Looking forward to pics!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    810822 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    451208 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    268571 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91480 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    8299 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

889870 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    844802 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM