Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

Well let me start with my friend Cannga and thank him for checking my car out at the shop. I now have my car back with CG loud + IPD Plenum + Work RXX Wheels. and I can tell you this the CG does sound like similar to AWE, very much so. The CG loud is not quiet but it's not that loud either. The car pulls hard with the exhaust and Plenum, the difference between the stock and what I have now is very very noticeable. The car feels mean and strong. Ironically the exhaust sound more tame and civilized around 3000 rpm than 2500 rpm.

At idle is the sound is very nice and deep and fairly quiet. Stuttgart performance has done an awome job. I asked Mike (my pal there) to drive it on the street while I stand by outside. OMG when he drove by me while on boost, the car sounded like a furious demon, I just loved it.

The people at Stuttgart are the best, nice,informative, knowledgeable and reasonable. Anthony worked on my car personally, he is awsome, always nice and friendly.

Bottom line the plenum + exhaust makes the car quicker and torquier and more responsive at all rpm's vs. stock. My advice to you all DO IT

I drove the car for 3-4 hours and in all honesty I was ready to give myself and the car a break so I went home and tried to make up another story, telling the wife that I did not spend that much $$$ today

Re: The result of IPD Plenum + Exhaust

pre/post dyno #'s please. we don't believe in butt meters here.

Hi Ed,

Thank you! The Cargraphic sound reminds me most of a machine gun. A crackling sound that is not harsh at all. Pure music to the ears. Does it sound similar inside, when you are the driver? If different, how different? Come on, Ed, you know I am dying for a more detailed report! Also, I understand the sound will change once the exhaust has some mileage on it.

Hope no sign of drone/resonance?

I now have plan for the plenum as well. Thanks to you guys, I rarely have as much fun spending money. BTW, Mike (?) at Stuttgart gave me a tour of the small "factory" when I was there.

Congrats on all the new toys--must be overwhelming to get it all at once like this!

You got PM. Tomorrow I'll go to C&C but will have to go home afterwards. Sorry! Anthony (AAAHT) might be there so with luck maybe I'll get a ride tomorrow on a Cargraphic car anyhow. Take care.

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    Well let me start with my friend Cannga and thank him for checking my car out at the shop. I now have my car back with CG loud + IPD Plenum + Work RXX Wheels. and I can tell you this the CG does sound like similar to AWE, very much so. The CG loud is not quiet but it's not that loud either. The car pulls hard with the exhaust and Plenum, the difference between the stock and what I have now is very very noticeable. The car feels mean and strong. Ironically the exhaust sound more tame and civilized around 3000 rpm than 2500 rpm.

At idle is the sound is very nice and deep and fairly quiet. Stuttgart performance has done an awome job. I asked Mike (my pal there) to drive it on the street while I stand by outside. OMG when he drove by me while on boost, the car sounded like a furious demon, I just loved it.

The people at Stuttgart are the best, nice,informative, knowledgeable and reasonable. Anthony worked on my car personally, he is awsome, always nice and friendly.

Bottom line the plenum + exhaust makes the car quicker and torquier and more responsive at all rpm's vs. stock. My advice to you all DO IT

I drove the car for 3-4 hours and in all honesty I was ready to give myself and the car a break so I went home and tried to make up another story, telling the wife that I did not spend that much $$$ today

Better butt meters than nothing

Isn't the CG exhaust engine dyno tested to give +25hp and 30NM on a stock engine, the (impressive) engine dyno curves are on the link below -so what extra is the plenum giving ?
    http://www.cargraphic.de/index.php?/s,6,7,18,2987,3080/

One question for you edz61. How do we get rid of the resonance at 2500k rpms!? It drives me crazy on my CG quiet version.. I ve driven 5k kms and still not getting any better..

Quote:
    TB993tt said:
    Isn't the CG exhaust engine dyno tested to give +25hp and 30NM on a stock engine, the (impressive) engine dyno curves are on the link below -so what extra is the plenum giving ?
    http://www.cargraphic.de/index.php?/s,6,7,18,2987,3080/

The Cargraphic guys I have spoken to didn't think adding a new plenum would do much for the car. Better just having the powerkit combo of filter+exhuast+ecu.

Actually, I take that back - another CG guy actually said...

(The IPD plenum is) "an incredibly effective way of increasing horsepower and engine efficiency. We have fitted a few of these now and have been impressed with each result."

So I suppose it depends on who you talk to!!

The IPD Plenum: http://www.cargraphic.de/stepone/data/downloads/5b/0c/00/IntakePlenum.pdf

I don't think I will get an IPD plenum as 544bhp and 800Nm is plenty enough for me. Any more and I will really start having to upgrade other components such as the clutch - which is going to get mighty expensive mighty quickly.

CG Powerkit is definitely the best "bang for your buck"

...even RC has said in the past that CG kit 1 is probably as far as anyone should go right now.

Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    I don't think I will get an IPD plenum as 544bhp and 800Nm is plenty enough for me. Any more and I will really start having to upgrade other components such as the clutch - which is going to get mighty expensive mighty quickly.

CG Powerkit is definitely the best "bang for your buck"

...even RC has said in the past that CG kit 1 is probably as far as anyone should go right now.

So in theory you could get over 580 bhp with the 544 powerkit plus the plenum? That's great!

From Cargraphic:

Quote:
    Figures show around 15bhp increase with an extra 12nm torque.

But as TB993tt has pointed out many times - you can't just 'add' numbers to existing systems and expect to achieve them.

What he said..

Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    From Cargraphic:

Quote:
    Figures show around 15bhp increase with an extra 12nm torque.

But as TB993tt has pointed out many times - you can't just 'add' numbers to existing systems and expect to achieve them.

The plenum for the 996TT shows much higher numbers than 15 bhp, and the engines aren't exactly dissimilar. Also, I would think that such a modification would be much more noticable with a tuned engine, compared to a stock one, and thus much more likely to be at the top end of the possible range of benefit.

Bone stock Turbo the Plenum is good for 25 HP (at the wheels) I've seen dyno's on a ECU, Exhaust Turbo that produced 43 added whp (just the plenum). It actually produces more HP than an exhaust for 1/4 the price. But IMO getting a Twin Turbo engine breathing IN & OUT more efficiently is where it's at. Exhaust + Plenum should be good for 65 crank HP w/ no ECU needed. Plus you get to keep your warranty.

Quote:
    edz61 said:

CONGRATS Ed!!!! That sounds awesome!

pics please!!!!!!

Quote:
    GT said:
    One question for you edz61. How do we get rid of the resonance at 2500k rpms!? It drives me crazy on my CG quiet version.. I ve driven 5k kms and still not getting any better..

GT: I feel it slightly too at 2500 rpm and the reason is the car kind of bugs down at that RPM. I asked the dealer and they said, give it a little time and it will go away. Mine is not bad but I can tell the car sounds a bit different at 2500 rpm on the freeway and in the 6th gear. I drive either over under or over 2500 rpm and the problem is solved. Driving in the city while changing gears everything is perfect and at any RPM. Bottomm line I love the exhaust but I could not and would not drive this car all day long. My friend has a 512TR with Tubi and it does the same thing at certain RPMS. When I am in his car I truely enjoy the sound for 60 min and then I want to kill someone

Quote:
    whyb2nd said:
    pre/post dyno #'s please. we don't believe in butt meters here.

Sorry my friend after warnings from my pals on this forum I decided to stay away from dynos. For now I have to trust my butt as it has earned me a few points in my life time

Gents the proof is in the pudding. Greg has the dyno charts, almost 25 H.P. at the wheel, bone stock.

15bhp is what Cargrphic told me IPD would be putting on their own website. I would guess therefore there is some variation and IPD are announcing an average or perhaps minimum figure.

This is not uncommon. I was told by the principal Tubi dealer here in the UK that their exhausts outputs vary between 8bhp and 28bhp from those they have fitted on the 997TT.

So seriously, why doesn't Porsche makes the plenum part and a better exhaust?
    Is it for reliability or homologation?

It would add zero cost to production and help crush the competition.

Quote:
    SciFrog said:
    So seriously, why doesn't Porsche makes the plenum part and a better exhaust?
    Is it for reliability or homologation?

It would add zero cost to production and help crush the competition.

I am assuming 480bhp is a marketting target. Porsche don't make cars any more to be as good as they possibly can

Also, one of the reasons for aftermarket exhausts releasing BHP by reducing back-pressure is that the OEM exhaust has a much higher count of cells in their cats to give better emmisions. Plus I think they want to keep the noise down...

From Porsche:

Quote:
    Exhaust Emmisions Control
    Combine engineering expertise with a commitment to the environment and the resulting benefits are twofold: exceptional performance and lower emissions. One of the cleanest sportscars in the world today, the new 911 Turbo easily complies with both the stringent Euro 4 standard in the European Union as well as LEV II regulations in the United States.

The 911 Turbo is dedicated to performance. Also with respect to the environment. The technologies used to achieve this compliance include twin 'lambda' or oxygen sensors for each of the two cylinder banks. One pair of sensors is used to measure the levels of oxygen in each of the twin exhaust tracts. An additional pair of sensors - again, one in each tract - enable the engine management system to monitor the efficiency of the catalytic converters.

Acoustics
    The new 911 Turbo complies with all noise regulations worldwide. Instead of resorting to engine encapsulation, we've eliminated noise at source: engine components are more rigid, moving parts are lighter, and tolerances have been reduced to a minimum. High-efficiency silencers in durable stainless steel help to minimise noise throughout the life of the car. All that remains, both inside and out, is the famous Porsche sound.

How's the car feeling Alex? You've had the upgrades now right?

brad

Meant to be late next week. Canna wait!!

Cannga: I love the exhaust just love the way it performs and sounds. However the exhaust sounds uneasy at 2500 RPM in 6th speed while crusing on the freeway. A bit of droning perhaps. Otherwise it sounds so powerful and so deep and so sporty:) On the inside the car is relatively quiet but when pass the 4000 rpm hell breaks lose and my God it sounds like a rocket. I have recieved compliments on the street since yestreday like you would not believe

I shared the 2500 nRPM issue with Stuttgart and they think the system needs time to settle in. One way or another I would not switch as the exhaust is almost perfect to me. Keep in mind I have very sensitive ears my wife thinks I am crazy but in all honesty I hear noises that others do not hear.

The car has transformed with the plenum and exhaust, period and I think at this point I will not do the ecu until next year perhaps.

Trust me on this and I don't care who says what all hi performance exhausts have a thing I call annoying point at a certain RPM. From Ferraris to Porsches and BMW's, I have tried them most with after market exhaust and none are perfect. But look at the trade off, you are getting more h.p.

Bottom line I am an AWE, Tubi and CG man and love all 3 and if you want quiet go for Milltek

I will be at the C&C next week and you can check my car out

Thought this was a good visual

pl3

pl5

Stradale: My God you do everything so meticulously. So detailed oriented and thorough, this is your passion for sure

Gents, come on now you buy a car with this kind of a price tag what is a $1000? You can't go wrong, JUST DO IT

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691057 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410182 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256228 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235421 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65750 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858825 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775124 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM