Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

"why arent we tired and bored with our cars "

already" someone asked me,and thats what i replied: (see end of post)

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=416099&page=0&vc=#Post416099

i thought its a nice way to share your passion for cars and should not only be restricted to the Cayman forum.

so go ahead, guys!
    why didnt you get tired and bored with your Porsche after some time?

Re: "why arent we tired and bored with our cars "

I started my love affair with Porsche in 1972 after having owned 3 Corvettes and a 240 Z previously. I could not believe the handling, adhesion,and comfort of the Porsche a 1, even athigh speed driving cross country. I since have not owned another sports car and am currently on my 4th Porsche. Each generation of Porsche seems to improve upon the previous one.

Typically it's because I get a new vehicle every year. Sometimes it's a motorcyle, sometimes a beater, sometimes a Porsche or BMW. The longest I've ever kept a car is 3 years. It's not so much that I get bored of them, I just like to get new cars. I guess it's a sickness.

sigh, me too
    i got new cars from 04, 05, 06, 07 and now 08.
    I promised my wife I will keep my 997 for 5 years....
    And i stopped looking for cars.

Sorry but since I was using the car on public roads I wasn't doing any highspeed cornering and drop-dead braking so I _did_ get bored with my 997S. I found myself "waiting" for it to accelerate when I decided to trade it in for a TT.

The TT is very different, will be very hard to get tired of it. Sorry, for not sounding more complimentary of former car. Seems to me all _ROAD_CAR_ Porsches except TT are underpowered. Again, you guys are like my friends, just speaking frankly, very sorry, not saying this to act like an ahole.

Of course there are lots of other attributes, unique to Porsches, which are impossible to get tired of. Good thing the TT has them too.

At least my X51 Carrera S makes 381 hp and 306 ft-lbs of torque. Of course, it's nowhere near a 996 TT much less a 997 TT. Still, I cannot get around losing $40k+ were I to sell my 997 S to then add another $40k+ to buy a Turbo. To quote the famous Hedgehog "Mr.P, I'm stuck!", of course with my car in this case.

Personally I am not getting bored with my 997 because I keep learning new things about driving it all the time. That's what sets the 911 apart IMO. The "other" cars lack this type of feedback and I get bored faster. Especially true with the heavy assisted cars: AWD, auto box, electronic suspensions, etc.

exactly.
    But if you want a fancier car just because it has more power on the paper and want people to look at you, then you will get bored every few months.

Quote:
    cibergypsy said:
    I cannot get around losing $40k+ were I to sell my 997 S to then add another $40k+ to buy a Turbo.

I know! It's disgusting. Big markup on TT. It's like Porsche wants to penalize anybody who's not happy with the 911's road car (vs. track) performance in terms of HP/Tq.

I really, really love my Carrera S. It's funny but about 6 months ago I went out for lunch and these college guys looked and stared at my car (has an Aerokit) and, when they went behind it said, "oh, it's just a Carrera S", as if it's not so much of a big deal... these, after they got out of their pos car. Makes me laugh since I remember when I was in college and realize that most of the people I met in college are now a bunch of losers and all their grand ideas and goals evaporated into thin air.

Anyways, to come back to the point, I do love my Carrera S and would not have a Turbo envy were it not for the fact that Porsche couldn't get us an engine and transmission from the same family as the Turbo, GT3 etc. even in a slightly detuned version, as it used to be in the air cooled cars. On those cars one got the same engine as the RSs or Turbos even if those cars had a higher state of tune. Nowadays, I feel a little cheated when I know they used an engine family not worthy of putting in their race cars. Don't get me wrong, I think the M97 or M96 engines are fine - just not as great as the other engine family.

Yes, I loved my Carrera S too - until I got into a Turbo, put it in sport mode, stuck it in 2nd gear and floored the throttle. Then I very soon became 'bored' with the Carrera and HAD to swallow that huge depreciation

Now if I want more power, for only a few $$$$ I just can modify. As I am planning on doing. And as 'GT Purley Porsche' said in this months magazine edition...

http://www.parr-uk.co.uk/parr-media/036-GT-0208.pdf

Quote:
    only a top fuel drag racer and/or a certified lunatic would be left wanting more performance than the 544bhp Power Kit offers

...so someone please feel free to commit me if I want more after this

Warning: long winded rant...

I remember walking all over a turbo last year with my BMW K1200S. 0-60 on my bike is 2.8 seconds, it weighs 550 lbs, and has 167 HP. A 3500lb Turbo would need 1052hp to have the same feeling. I can go from 0-115km/h in first gear. The rear wheel has the power to break loose coming out of corners with full throttle. It also cost me $20K and get 35mpg. Every damned second on that thing is a thrill, and there is absolutely no car on the road that requires the same level of risk, gives the same reward or needs the driver involvement than a sport motorcycle. While I have ABS, I don't have stability or traction control. Once you drive a machine like that, cars fail to give you the same level of a rush. Imagine going 280km\h in a full tuck, with no seatbelt, airbags or any other safety measures, the noise is like nothing you could imagine, and the thrill is unparalleled.

Having said that, I don't feel Turbo envy. The only car I have ever really 'envied' is the Enzo I saw two years ago. The twists, turns and speed limits on North American roads are such that you really don't need more than a standard Carrera to get yourself into serious trouble. I think the most reasonably priced car that would give me the visceral thrill that would be close to the bike would be a Challenge Stradale, which very well could be my next car, or maybe the ZR1 Vette for about half the cost! For now, the 997S suits me just fine.

Joe, great taste! I've got one and absolutely agree that it's a great feeling riding it.

Quote:
    Alex_ said:

...so someone please feel free to commit me if I want more after this

HeeHeeHee

What I observed with turbo is 500 (near 500) is __enough__.

Why? Because when passing cars on two lane roads I have to restrain myself when I have perfectly good opportunitis to pass. The oncoming car would soil himself and veer off the road because he's thinking I'm driving an ordinary car and I have zero chance of completing the pass in time.

Seriously, there's no practical advantage to having more HP/Tq; it's like public roads and fellow drivers (brain dead or not) can't handle anymore.

Talking about cars..., Bikes? Because they're smaller other drivers don't see them anyway. There's probably no upper limit to hp/wt except humans not having enough forearm grip strength to hold on.

Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    The twists, turns and speed limits on North American roads are such that you really don't need more than a standard Carrera to get yourself into serious trouble.

Probably true, since I seriously lost it (spun out) with my TT and never did with my 997S. You know..., simply speaking: there's lots of grip, but when you lose grip with the extra HP the consequences seem to be greater.

OTOH, what's funny? I feel "safer" passing in my TT than I did in my 997S. The two or three seconds saved, make oncoming traffic seem to stand still.

Quote:

OTOH, what's funny? I feel "safer" passing in my TT than I did in my 997S. The two or three seconds saved, make oncoming traffic seem to stand still.

That would be the pro. The con is that by the time you've passed the other car you're going a lot faster thank you think, and could end up with a nice ticket. I passed an unmarked cruiser and a tractor pulling hay last year. The cop pulled out and clocked me at 95 in a 60.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Joe, great taste! I've got one and absolutely agree that it's a great feeling riding it.

I went from a 600 (R6), to the 1200. The biggest difference I noticed right away was the torque in the mid gears. I would crest a hill in 3rd whilst accelerating, and the front end would come off the ground. I would carry it for about 100 feet before I realized what was happening!

Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    I passed an unmarked cruiser and a tractor pulling hay last year. The cop pulled out and clocked me at 95 in a 60.

AWWWGGGH! Unmarked cars! Frickin' makes me sick. Sorry... .

Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    Quote:
    atomic80 said:

I went from a 600 (R6), to the 1200. The biggest difference I noticed right away was the torque in the mid gears. I would crest a hill in 3rd whilst accelerating, and the front end would come off the ground. I would carry it for about 100 feet before I realized what was happening!

I came from a R1 to the K1200S so the power difference wasn't as significant for me. I also rode a friend's Hayabusa on a road trip from Norcal to Socal so again the power differences wasn't that big for me. Still, the K1200S is a heckuva bike! I love the adjustable suspension the most aside from the power.

apart from the arguments i made on the Cayman forum (link in my first post), i've allways felt that for me the driving exprerience consist of much more than raw power. it mechanical feeling (that you just cant get from any supercharger or turbo), grip and etc.

this is not to say i would mind having a turbo, just like NA engines more...

cheers!

Quote:
    nick1 said:
    apart from the arguments i made on the Cayman forum (link in my first post), i've allways felt that for me the driving exprerience consist of much more than raw power. it mechanical feeling (that you just cant get from any supercharger or turbo), grip and etc.

this is not to say i would mind having a turbo, just like NA engines more...

cheers!

Yep.. GT3 RS, Scuderia, Challenge Stradale etc.

Quote:

I came from a R1 to the K1200S so the power difference wasn't as significant for me. I also rode a friend's Hayabusa on a road trip from Norcal to Socal so again the power differences wasn't that big for me. Still, the K1200S is a heckuva bike! I love the adjustable suspension the most aside from the power.

Well I'm 6' 4". So I needed a bike that didn't make me look like a Shriner. I checked out the R1 and GSXR1K, but I looked like this:

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    I passed an unmarked cruiser and a tractor pulling hay last year. The cop pulled out and clocked me at 95 in a 60.

AWWWGGGH! Unmarked cars! Frickin' makes me sick. Sorry... .

Around Central Florida now we have cars that look like your regular "Soccer Mom" car with bumper stickers and the whole nine yards that are unmarked police cars. They go the extra mile blending in with regular cars...

The car that got me was an all-black Dodge Charger. I've seen white Volvo touring cars and the other day, and all-black cargo van. I think it was a SWAT vehicle, but it had pulled someone over. They don't go as far as to have bumper stickers yet. Could be that your departments are paying officers to use their personal vehicles for this purpose??

cibergypsy:
    Quote:
    MMD said
    Around Central Florida now we have cars that look like your regular "Soccer Mom" car with bumper stickers and the whole nine yards that are unmarked police cars. They go the extra mile blending in with regular cars...

Which reminds me of my latest "encounter" (thankfully it wasn't me who got pulled over): A mid sized sedan, I think it was a Chevy, nothing big, rather a smaller model, was standing behind another car on the left lane, with at least 20 or so red and blue lights lighting up from the rear window. It looked pretty weird, the lights were occupying almost the whole rear window. I also so a metallic dark red Chrysler 300 sedan with dark tinted windows and at least five short black antennas on the roof, when I passed him. After a couple of minutes, the very same car came from the rear with blue lights lighting from the middle grille, the window, the side mirrors, the license plate area and even the front lights, amazing light show. Smiley

A friend told me that in some areas, police men can choose the car and equipment, based on the budget they have. Don't know if this is true but some US police officers surely have a taste for a "dramatic" approach. Smiley 

USA

undercover-cop-car1.jpeg

Croatia

kroatien-motorrad-2.jpg

Switzerland

berner-kantonspolizei-unterwegs-mit-blaulicht-39803.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 997 Turbo, BMW X5 M, BMW M3 Cab DKG, Mini Cooper S JCW

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689059 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408944 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255639 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234891 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65477 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4642 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857774 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773750 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM