Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

My R8 short review

It's been more than a week that I got my R8 and have about 600 miles on it now.
    To begin with this car is the best sports car I've ever owned in my life however performance wise it may not score on top. Handling is fantastic, it sticks to the ground and no matter how fast you're going it won't disappoint. The handling is so good that I think it is dangerous, because it gives you so much confidence that you may pull a stupid stunt and kill yourself, otherwise R8 is so balanced that I can't even compare it to my old 996 and compare to 997S that I test drove a while ago R8 is better balanced all around.

What I really love about the R8 is its magnetic ride which immediately tightens the ride as soon as the button is pushed whereas I can't say the same about PSAM on Porsche.

Acceleration is great. The power feed back is very good no matter what gear you're in. Anytime you push the gas you feel the power surging to the wheels immediately.

I know you guys are going to fry me here but regarding the power I had a chance to compare it to a friend's '08 C6 (Corvette). Admittedly and honestly I shall say that the C6's power is simply crazy. I was impressed with the R8 power until I test drove his for a short period of time, his car is stock and the bastered has so much power on tap that I couldn't understand. Supposedly 10hp more than the R8 but it feels as if it has 500hp. When you push the gas the freaking car flies, hats off to GM for real.

I love the gear change in my R8, when you change gear it makes a clicking sound which makes you feel you're driving a Lambo .
    The breaks are great no fading but again I didn't drive it too fast since the engine is pretty new.
    Exhaust sound is intoxicating, I love it.
    Interior first class and ver roomy.
    B&O quality is good but not really impressed with it I would rate it as well as Porsche Bose, nothing to really brag about.

One thing that bothers me very much is being a 2 seater, of course I knew it from the get go but when you have 3 little boys they don't understand why they all can't drive in Daddy's car , when one rides in it, the other two cry until it's their turn . So I had a full day of bitching from my wife this past weekend that I didn't take the kids into consideration when I ordered my R8 .

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have,

Re: My R8 short review

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    One thing that bothers me very much is being a 2 seater, of course I knew it from the get go but when you have 3 little boys they don't understand why they all can't drive in Daddy's car , when one rides in it, the other two cry until it's their turn . So I had a full day of bitching from my wife this past weekend that I didn't take the kids into consideration when I ordered my R8 .

Well, you have to buy another one then - but wait - still one boy too many.
    Well, get your wife a new RS4 then, so she can carry all the kids as well as the shopping...

BTW, great review, Ron.

Thanks for the review Ron. As I am still a whiles away from writing my own R8 review, I am constantly trying to digest every piece of info/blurb/comment about the R8, sometimes re-reading the same articles. Pathetic I know, but it helps to pass the time!

Interesting comparison to the Vette. I'm guessing the wave of torque and the lighter weight probably helped! Maybe I just haven't been accustomed to really fast cars, but speaking purely from a straighline perspective, all the stats I've seen for the R8 (depending on what you read) point to a 0-60 time in the range of 3.9 to 4.3 sec, with the 1/4 mile coming up in 12.4-12.8 sec. That's pretty darn quick in my book! Definitely no slouch

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:

You need to buy another 911 to fit the kids . Nice to see you are enjoying the car and it just confirms that the R8 is probably the bet sports car in its class at the moment . Btw, the Corvette feels so fast because of its torque. Torquey engines always feel faster than their high-revving counterparts, although they will produce pretty much identical times.

Thx Ron for this review! Hopefully your next one will have some pictures in them... Kids included!

600 miles in a week way to go

I know this "no rear seats"-problem quite too well... I will never forget the moment my daughter found out that there are no rear seats in my (996) GT3 RS -- and that the family can not travel together in the new car (and children always have to sit in the back, she told me).

Thanks for your impressions Ron!

I am jealous Ron. Just one question...how did you convince your wife to let you buy a 2 seater sports car in the first place with 3 boys? Ever since my wife got pregnant (and my baby boy was born 6 and a half days ago), all mention of 2 seater has been nothing but trouble for me. Which is probably why I ended up ordering a C63 and a 135i.

First off congratulations on the new baby .

I ordered my car about 2.5 years ago and was without her knowledge . Few months ago I was at the verge of getting my deposit back but thank to the GM @ audi forced me to take the car since I had to wait for so long.

However, to be honest now I see that the R8 is not pratical for me even though we have 2 suburbans .

The Sedan that I have been looking into since few weeks ago is the upcoming '09 Cadillac CTS-V, I put my deposit on it last week already but still needs to wait read some reviews on it.

http://www.cadillac.com/09ctsv/

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    First off congratulations on the new baby .

I ordered my car about 2.5 years ago and was without her knowledge . Few months ago I was at the verge of getting my deposit back but thank to the GM @ audi forced me to take the car since I had to wait for so long.

However, to be honest now I see that the R8 is not pratical for me even though we have 2 suburbans .

The Sedan that I have been looking into since few weeks ago is the upcoming '09 Cadillac CTS-V, I put my deposit on it last week already but still needs to wait read some reviews on it.

http://www.cadillac.com/09ctsv/

Ron I don't know of any practical sport car. Owning one requires ownership of other cars. The only redeeming feature of a sport car is that it becomes your reward for hard work and a lot of sweat. My 430 is my sanctuary which I take out to obtain release from daily stress and pressures.

My wife probably has ridden in my 430 about five times in two years. She has no interest and I don't really mind. It frees me up to play as I see fit.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Ron I don't know of any practical sport car. Owning one requires ownership of other cars. The only redeeming feature of a sport car is that it becomes your reward for hard work and a lot of sweat. My 430 is my sanctuary which I take out to obtain release from daily stress and pressures.

My wife probably has ridden in my 430 about five times in two years. She has no interest and I don't really mind. It frees me up to play as I see fit.

Absolutely right Nick. My wife doesn't care much about sports cars either but the problem for me is the kids but since the car is at the lake house they don't get to see it everyday, hence no crying .

Ron, excellent review !!!! Thanks

Congratulations! I understand the problem with a 2 seater and kids.

Can you say more about the difference between the magnetic ride vs. PASM?

David

Quote:
    DavidSF said:

David

Thanks.

The mag-ride immediately tightens the ride, I mean as soon as you press the button you can immediately feel that the car becomes really solid however in PASM when I test drove it I seriously couldn't tell the difference when it was on or off.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Quote:
    DavidSF said:

David

Thanks.

The mag-ride immediately tightens the ride, I mean as soon as you press the button you can immediately feel that the car becomes really solid however in PASM when I test drove it I seriously couldn't tell the difference when it was on or off.

wow that's odd. Is it possible your PASM was broken? This is the first time I've heard no difference in the PASM settings.

David

No lie, according to a guy I know who works for Ferrari in Northern VA, he test drove "the rival" and said of all this sports cars his driven, the R8 has the best composed and balanced chassis and ride outside of the F430 in this segment. He said the AWD was the only drawback since the computer couldn't be completely defeated and Audi's steering feedback could be a little better.

All in all, he said it was more composed and better than the 997, much better and solider than Vette (even with Magnaride), and better than its distant brother the Gallardo thanks to the more advanced rear linkage/suspension.

That's really saying something! Hats off the Audi engineering boys. If BMW don't watch their ass, they're going to take the number 2 spot.

Quote:
    DavidSF said:

wow that's odd. Is it possible your PASM was broken? This is the first time I've heard no difference in the PASM settings.

David

Could be .

Ron: Congratulations on your R8! Without a doubt a great car!

Thanks for your Vette ('08 C6) comments - I know what you mean, and I also understand why you like the magne-ride suspension (same I have on my C6), which is light-years better than PASM. I love Porsche and 911s, but I switched (as you did), because there's credible competition out there.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:...The mag-ride immediately tightens the ride, I mean as soon as you press the button you can immediately feel that the car becomes really solid however in PASM when I test drove it I seriously couldn't tell the difference when it was on or off.

I've driven several 997S and I felt the change between Normal and Sport. The problem is that the difference is in the amount of jarring - hard and harder. GM's Magne-ride (available on C6, R8, 599, and others) aims at leveling the car continuously, providing the necessary compliance - more in Touring, less in Sport, in real time. The suspension is comfortable in both modes, and in either mode the aim is to maintain the car level - the so-called "sky-hook algorithm." The first time I drove the C6 I could not believe it, as it was not jarring, and absorbed imperfections very well, in places where PASM would be jarring and unsettling. I had to put some miles on these cars to convince me that they also handle well - and they do, they rotate flat and roll far less than my 996 or even the 997S does. Yeah... there are other offerings out there. One just has to have an open mind and look.

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    It's been more than a week that I got my R8 and have about 600 miles on it now.
    To begin with this car is the best sports car I've ever owned in my life however performance wise it may not score on top. Handling is fantastic, it sticks to the ground and no matter how fast you're going it won't disappoint. The handling is so good that I think it is dangerous, because it gives you so much confidence that you may pull a stupid stunt and kill yourself, otherwise R8 is so balanced that I can't even compare it to my old 996 and compare to 997S that I test drove a while ago R8 is better balanced all around.

What I really love about the R8 is its magnetic ride which immediately tightens the ride as soon as the button is pushed whereas I can't say the same about PSAM on Porsche.

Acceleration is great. The power feed back is very good no matter what gear you're in. Anytime you push the gas you feel the power surging to the wheels immediately.

I know you guys are going to fry me here but regarding the power I had a chance to compare it to a friend's '08 C6 (Corvette). Admittedly and honestly I shall say that the C6's power is simply crazy. I was impressed with the R8 power until I test drove his for a short period of time, his car is stock and the bastered has so much power on tap that I couldn't understand. Supposedly 10hp more than the R8 but it feels as if it has 500hp. When you push the gas the freaking car flies, hats off to GM for real.

I love the gear change in my R8, when you change gear it makes a clicking sound which makes you feel you're driving a Lambo .
    The breaks are great no fading but again I didn't drive it too fast since the engine is pretty new.
    Exhaust sound is intoxicating, I love it.
    Interior first class and ver roomy.
    B&O quality is good but not really impressed with it I would rate it as well as Porsche Bose, nothing to really brag about.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have,

Ron,
    Nice and honest review.

R8 is also IMHO excellent true sportscar. It is the best balanced sportscar currently on the market. Yes, there are faster sportscars there but, none offers that combination of speed and fluid handling as well as excellent body control. For me R8 is much closer in overall feel to F430 or Gallardo then to Porsche 997 series or any current Audi model.
    Regarding straight line power-I will be honest as you did-new M3 Coupe is marginally faster above 220km/h... BUT, so what? On any windy road M3 will stay behinde R8...

My pics and comment late this weekend or early next week.

Very nice review Ron!

Now let's wait for Kreso!

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:

You need to buy another 911 to fit the kids . .

Thanks for the review Ron

No Crash, what Ron should have bought was one of these

Quote:
    temm said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:

You need to buy another 911 to fit the kids . .

Thanks for the review Ron

No Crash, what Ron should have bought was one of these

Ouch! That was a kick below the belt, wouldn't you say?

Wow, BMW dealer right across from Audi and Porsche .

Kreso,

You're absolutely right, R8 as a whole is a complete package that no other car manufacturer offers.

Why the Caddy and not a C63 or M3? Like most of you, my wife also has no interest in my 2 seater sports cars. For example, she has sat in my Aston 3 times in 8 months I've had it. So getting another 2 seater just isn't going to cut it with her with now that we have a baby.

To be honest I picked CTS-V because it's pretty much a ZR-1 with 4 doors and rear seats and kick a$$ interior.

Based on my past experience with 3 different MB models I promised myself not to ever purchase another one as long as I'm alive . BMW design doesn't appeal to me Bagle ruined it fo me and many others. The only options I got left is the RS6 AUDI which will be probably twice as much as CTS-V. Although it remains to be seen if performance wise CTS-V will beat E63 and M5 as they claim or not.

@Ron: thanks for the honest review It made very interesting reading.

It made me glad with my previous decision not to wait for a R8 since I needed more luggage space and (occasional) rear seats...

@Nick: you know of no practical sports car? Perhaps you're right but a 911, the new Maserati Gran Turismo, a Jaguar XKR and the AM Vantage are pretty good compromises...but they are compromises nonetheless. Having said that, you'd be surprised how much grocery shopping/luggage I manage to fit into my 911.

I guess the Panamera and AM Rapide will accommodate more passengers and luggage but they aren't real sports cars though...

If one needs genuine 4/5 seaters with room for a proper suitcase, then BMW M, big MB AMG or Audi RS cars are the only way to go...

My wife sat 2 times in my V8 also... Back to Porsche TT eventually... The DBS is nice but not worth the money IMHO.

911 is the most practical sports car I have ever owned. The back seats are great for luggage/groceries.

SciFrog, my next car after the c63 and 135i will probably also be back to a 911 of some form, GT3 hopefully.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759229 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433574 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259669 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256804 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80525 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5304 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870543 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805476 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM