Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Cargraphic Loud Exhuast is ***LOUD***

I met AAHTT (Anthony) today at the Cars and Coffee event in Irvine. Anthony has a highly modified black TT with the Cargraphic Loud exhaust on it. He was gracious enough to take me for a ride in his car so that I could hear for myself that the exhaust does not drone or seem at all objectionable from inside the car. When we both left I drove along side of Anthony to hear what everyone else hears when he goes by - MY GOD - this thing is really freaking loud as it went by at 6500 RPM !!! It isn't like anything I can describe except similar to the whine of turbojet - and I know what that sounds like because I'm a pilot - IT IS LOUD at full tilt!! I advise anyone who is considering one of these exhausts to do what I was able to do today: get a ride and listen from the inside and outside.

By the way , Anthony's modified car has just under 700 HP, and it made my new 08 TT with SC seem like a kiddie car - his car accelerates violently; mine merely quickly.

Thanks Anthony!

Dick

Re: Cargraphic Loud Exhuast is ***LOUD***

Hi Dick,

Someone ("Gotboost," 6speedonline) was going to be there with an AWE system. Were you able to listen to that as well?

It would be nice if you and I could find a Tubi to listen to! Right now it's between AWE and Tubi for me.

Anthony's car seems awesome!

Thanks Dick, I am about the get the loud cargraphics, my car is now at the shop. Your posting is scaring me, I wonder if I should call the shop Monday a.m. and switch to Medium So was it loud in the car too when you went for a ride, could you have heard each other okay? Did it sound awsome or just loud. I have been in Ferrari's with Tubi's, yes they were loud but OMG they sounded gr8.

The Cargraphic "loud" is just fine on the inside. At 80 MPH in 5th and 6th conversation was easy and No Droning - very important to me. At 80 in 4th the exhaust was noticeable, but still a pleasant note. I was sure this could be "my exhuast", but at Anthony's suggestion I wanted to hear it from another car's perspective. I've driven and raced against open exhaust cars on the track, but the noise from our TT's is very different than a non turbo car - something about the turbine cutting up the exhaust pulses make this sound like nothing I've heard before - much more of a roar than stacatto bark or bellowing.
    So, it is possible that all of the high-end and loud aftermarket TT exhaust systems do the same thing as the Cargraphic - i don't know. I also met my Yorba Linda neightbor, Mike (gotboost on this board) but did not get an opportunity to hear his AWE system. It turns out he lives less than a mile from me, so I will get over and bum a ride - and will have him scream past me to see if this insane noise from the CG system is specific to the CG, or is systemic. Also, I believe Anthony has done some mods to his turbos, so that might be additive to the sound level. I would guess the sound pressure level in my TT with windows open was 100-105dbA as Anthony went by at full boil. Frighteningly loud, even when I knew he was coming along side me.

Dick

Is this the loud version? If so I love it

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...53133228769150

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...69600111&hl=en

Can - if you find a Tubi locally to listen to please let me know - the CG loud is fine inside the car, but may be just a bit over the top for this old fart :>)

Dick

Quote:
    dkreidel said:
    Can - if you find a Tubi locally to listen to please let me know - the CG loud is fine inside the car, but may be just a bit over the top for this old fart :>)

Dick

Dick, it was a pleasure meeting you today and I hope you got the right impression on the CG loud. As you found out there is a reason why they call it loud and why it is not legal in europe.
    btw, the upgraded VTGs just add a slight whooshing noise at the beginning of boost but they don't affect overall sound. The car sounded the same with just exhaust and ecu but the reason it may be louder than expected is that I changed gears at 7300 rpm while passing you which accounts for more noise I am sure.
    Plenum is next

Thanks Dick, the TT is not my daily driver so the loud might be okay but I am still not sure.

AAHT: If you could do it all over again would you have gone for the loud or medium. I have decide soon or it will be too late by Monday

Thanks again Anthony - I have not ruled out the CG exhaust, as it was perfect inside the car. I'd forgotten you told me you had your redline now at 7300RPM - that may indeed have made a difference. Have you heard your own car go by you Anthony?

Dick

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    AAHT: If you could do it all over again would you have gone for the loud or medium. I have decide soon or it will be too late by Monday

If they make an even louder one I'll go for it. no medium for me
    remember, what dick heard is something you hear on the track only, I don't drive around town near redline which is where all the noise is ...

Quote:
    dkreidel said:
    Thanks again Anthony - I have not ruled out the CG exhaust, as it was perfect inside the car. I'd forgotten you told me you had your redline now at 7300RPM - that may indeed have made a difference. Have you heard your own car go by you Anthony?

Dick

I am afraid to hear my own car but from what everyone tells me including my wife, it is pretty frightening and that's good enough for me

Quote:
    AAHTT said:
    Quote:
    edz61 said:

If they make an even louder one I'll go for it. no medium for me
    remember, what dick heard is something you hear on the track only, I don't drive around town near redline which is where all the noise is ...

Thanks bud, then loud it will be for me

Quote:
    AAHTT said:
    Quote:
    dkreidel said:

Dick

I am afraid to hear my own car but from what everyone tells me including my wife, it is pretty frightening and that's good enough for me

I like that attitude.

In audiophile circles, an audio component is rated with 2 scores, the first is based on how it sounds, the second is a parameter called WAF. This Wife Acceptance Factor is based solely on how the particular component blends in with the house's decor. A low Wife Acceptance Factor could be a kiss of death.

I think I might have to get my wife to come to some of these exhaust auditions.

Maybe
    Quote:
    edz61 said:
    Thanks Dick, I am about the get the loud cargraphics, my car is now at the shop. Your posting is scaring me, I wonder if I should call the shop Monday a.m. and switch to Medium So was it loud in the car too when you went for a ride, could you have heard each other okay? Did it sound awsome or just loud. I have been in Ferrari's with Tubi's, yes they were loud but OMG they sounded gr8.

Dick,

Hopefully we'll find someone with Tubi for an audition. I've posted a request on 6speed & rennlist. If no one responds, I might start calling the local shops.

I think I like the low rumbling of AWE better (vs. the more "raspi" Tubi???) but Tubi is so highly recommended by so many I almost feel obligated to check it out.

Please post your impression of AWE.

Quote:
    dkreidel said:

Dick

Quote:
    cannga said:
    In audiophile circles, an audio component is rated with 2 scores, the first is based on how it sounds, the second is a parameter called WAF. This Wife Acceptance Factor is based solely on how the particular component blends in with the house's decor. A low Wife Acceptance Factor could be a kiss of death.

I think I might have to get my wife to come to some of these exhaust auditions.

Maybe
    Quote:
    edz61 said:

My wife thinks I am crazy. She asked me how much will the exhaust + plenum cost and I replied $200. She said what? That's it and I said just kidding honey something around $3K. I lied again as it will be over $6K. Her response was $3K? That much? You see you just can't win with the women just lie to them Cannga what do you have against CG? I don;t like the price otherwise I love it.

Dick,

Now you know why I love my cargraphic so much. It can be unobtrusive at times and LOUD when the occasion calls for it. I think it's a great system which definitely suits the car well. I get quite a few compliments from folks whenever they hear my car going by. Nobody has said that they found it to be annoyingly loud, just perfect! I strongly encourage you to add that to the hat as one of the systems you'd consider getting. Can you imagine what it must sound like when going through a tunnel! It's heaven! Sounds like a banshee shrieking! A friend took a video of mine going through the tunnel up in Vancouver BC,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSuIrdxrfuM

Compare mine to the stock 997TT belonging to W211 that's in the video also.

Atomic is yours the loud version?

Quote:
    edz61 said:

Yep, it sure is. I was one of the first to get the cargraphic system when it came out and 10,000 miles later I still love it!

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Quote:
    edz61 said:

Yep, it sure is. I was one of the first to get the cargraphic system when it came out and 10,000 miles later I still love it!

I am sold and my car should have one next week BTW you are porbably the only 997tt owner that I know under the age of 30

What do I have against Cargraphic exhaust? Absolutely nothing! In fact if your car is ready Monday afternoon I will drive by and have a listen, if it's ok with you please. (Does the shop where your car is have a web site of phone and address and would you please let them know I might come by if car is ready? Thanks.) If I like it, I may just go for it. On exhaust choice, unfortunately I don't think it's possible to audible all out there and we'll have to partially *guess* our pick.

I have NO WAY to know how accurate I am, but from my listening to these clips, recorded in 10 million different ways without any reference standard btw, and from reading, it *seems* the European systems (Tubi, Cargraphic, Europipe) tend to have a higher freq. component, while Fabspeed and AWE has more of a low freq. rumbling note. In addition AWE is supposed to be not too loud, which is what I am looking for.

As far as cost, it's too late to worry about that now. We are in hooks, line, sinker, no?

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    Cannga what do you have against CG? I don;t like the price otherwise I love it.

I will let you know when the car will be ready, for sure not Monday, I don't think. Then again you never know if they are not too busy it could happen. I have parking sensors on the bumper and the bumper has to come off

BTW when I asked what you had against CG I did not mean to be rude or offensive, I was just curious

I know it's difficult but you guys should be patient and find the system you really like before you spend the money. For those of us that live in SoCal, all we have to do is go to Cars and Coffee in Irvine a few times and listen to every exhaust out there. I've had my car since May and I'm still undecided. To me, all these loud exhausts sound like a big turbo diesel truck.

No problem ; I foung nothing "offensive" about your question. BTW, I found Stuggart Performance, this one, right?
    Stuttgart Performance
    1275 Logan Avenue.
    Costa Mesa, California 92626
    United States
    Phone: 714-432-8815

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    I will let you know when the car will be ready, for sure not Monday, I don't think. Then again you never know if they are not too busy it could happen. I have parking sensors on the bumper and the bumper has to come off

BTW when I asked what you had against CG I did not mean to be rude or offensive, I was just curious

Quote:
    AK997TT said:
    I know it's difficult but you guys should be patient and find the system you really like before you spend the money. For those of us that live in SoCal, all we have to do is go to Cars and Coffee in Irvine a few times and listen to every exhaust out there. I've had my car since May and I'm still undecided. To me, all these loud exhausts sound like a big turbo diesel truck.

What is this Irvine Coffee thing? Where is it and who comes?

Quote:
    cannga said:
    No problem ; I foung nothing "offensive" about your question. BTW, I found Stuggart Performance, this one, right?
    Stuttgart Performance
    1275 Logan Avenue.
    Costa Mesa, California 92626
    United States
    Phone: 714-432-8815

Quote:
    edz61 said:

That's it, take the 405 S. to Fairview and Fairview to Baker and you are there (before the Ferrari dealer).

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    Quote:
    AK997TT said:

What is this Irvine Coffee thing? Where is it and who comes?

I think it use to be the Saturday morning 7am meet at Crystal Cove that got moved to the Irvine Spectrum within the last year or so.

The one in Crystal Cover included all kinds of exotic cars, is this the same?

That's what I was referring to, and I know it got moved to the Irvine Spectrum. But I didn't know it was called Cars and Coffee.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688821 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408826 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255578 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234833 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65428 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857673 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773572 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM