Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Cargraphic Loud Exhuast is ***LOUD***

Quote:
    milanodriver said:
    Quote:
    AAHTT said:
    Quote:
    cannga said:
    Thanks for all the great info. The shopping is more fun than the acquisition.
    Didn't RC say though that the resonance went away? And AAHT also experiences no resonance? Strange how the results varied.
    I also saw a couple of posts on 6speedonline that owners complained about Tubi having a drone/resonance at something like 2500-3000 rpm or so (PM'ed owner but haven't got an answer) and got some info is this drone is worse with auto transmission.

Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    Can,

Ironically, it was RC's review of the CG exhaust that convinced me to go with that system.

BTW, to complete the picture RC did complain about his CG exhaust having some resonance up until 3000 km...

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat...true#Post357383

...as did LAT and a few others.

Can, RC does not have the loud version but the medium I think, that could explain the difference in droning and resonnance, it is a different exhaust. Mine was installed by the CG dealer and did not have any drone from day one.
    Also I think it was Atomic who had some resonnance issues which were due to incorrect installation and that was fixed easily if I remember correctly, right Jason?

Tubi is a nice exhaust, but there are way better systems out there... I know this is a 997 TT forum but have u listened F 360 Modena passing by on track with Kreissieg, search for it... Then, F430 stock exhaust is good, can't get any louder but CAN get better, look for UK company Larini Systems... U ll see the difference day and night...As RC mentioned and again thnx to him, Cargraphic for 997 TT is the way to go... Installing headers, sport cats, exhaust, sport air filter and an ECU gets you to 544PS, thats somewhat the other brands get you to as well... But look what torque you get 800Nm... To get EVEN CLOSE to this torque, all other systems work on turbo upgrading...

Huh? I'm not really sure where you're going w/ this comparing the Tubi for Ferrari with exhaust's for the Turbo. "F430 stock exhaust is good, can't get any louder". What does that mean? I have a F430 w/ stock exhaust & you certainly can get louder. The Tubi for the 8cyl Ferrari is an excellent system, one of the best out there. In terms of sound it's probably my favorite & the most popular from all the guys I drive my Ferrrai with along w/ the Capristo. I understand you're saying you like the Cargraphic because that's the one you installed on a customers car but it's really about personal preferance not one is the best. I looked at all the systems before buying the Tubi for my Turbo, I looked at Cargraphic but Tubi had some things that I didnt see in the Cargraphic. Doesn't mean the Tubi is the best system, just means for what I wanted it's the best fit for me. Answer honestly have you ever driven a Ferrari w/ a Tubi? Or a Turbo w/ a Tubi?

Quote:
    TurboBill said:
    "Tubi is a nice exhaust, but there are way better systems out there..."

Way better at what??? Making a particular sound that YOU like better or is there a real difference? If there is a real difference let us know specifically what those differences are. If you make these kind of statements with no support, no one will take you seriously.

Someone has been doing a lot of web surfing.

btw: I'll give you a "difference". Tubi is the lighest system & is made with platinum & radium. What that means exactly I honestly dont know but that's what I read

Quote:
    milanodriver said:
    Written by RC and i am depending on this statement as well as the smile/happiness of people worked, with mentioned brands ... This is a fact for me I take this as a support for my words... I have nothing against Tubi or any other brand... "I still stand to my words. The Cargraphic exhaust has been developped for the 9979 Turbo together with RS-Tuning, the manufacturer of the exhaust is the same company which manufactures the limited production exhaust systems for the Cup cars. So in my opinion, judging by the 996 Turbo version of their exhaust, this is the best aftermarket exhaust you can get for the 997 Turbo. They even make a 21 HP power and 20 Nm torque gain claim but I would be careful with these claims since the increase may occur only at a certain rev range. I would be happy if their exhaust doesn't actually reduce power, something which sometimes happens with lots of aftermarket systems for turbo charged cars due to the changed backpressure.
    "
    Guess RC clearly explains it very well at this link...http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Number=287132
    For 360 Kreissieg, even Tubi owners with that car say, wowwww, again.... Better in terms of experience around me...
    Here is the link, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeAELrHXUeY

And below is what a friend of mine in US who used about 6 different systems in his F360 quotes.... "As for the 360 system, it's (Larini Stystems) richer & beefier then the Tubi....but unlike the Tubi it opens-up and sounds great with an escalating pitch/tone as the rpm's soar. It does peak with an F1-shrill, BUT it's not overly loud and obnoxious as the XXXX.(Another brand, dont wanna get into another argument :-) There's a reason I chose it, I feel it's the best of all worlds."
    Thas all i want to share about this issue... Have nothing more to say...Once more, all written depending on customer /user experience... Thats is the most important support for me...Thnx again....

For every message you can find on a message board from someone saying they like 'xyz' system the best you can find someone else saying the like '1234' system the best. It means nothing except a personal opinion. It's like the arguement the 997 Turbo is a better car then the F430. I can find 10 people that agree & 10 people that disagree. The only important thing is making sure the system makes the power you want & sounds they way you prefer, everyone has different likes & dislikes. I wouldnt use what you read on a chat board from someone saying they like they way one system sounds as evidence that system is "the best". As for RC's message that was posted 2 years and 3 months ago. Back then the Cargraphic was the ONLY 997 Turbo exhaust system available. Have you asked RC if he's driven Turbo's with other system's? Sorry, just dont see your point.

Just for giggles here's a message from Alex at Sharkwerks. He's installed all the different types of 997 Turbo exhausts & from speaking w/ him I know he prefers the Tubi.

>> Hey Jason A, I've done a good few of these Tubis on 997TTs and I know a lot of this can sometimes be very subjective person to person but I still find that comment to be far from the normal. I always try to get people to listen to a system first (since they're going to need to live with it) and perhaps you didn't get the chance but maybe your expectations are a bit "out there". I can promise you no 996TT or 997TT will ever sound like an Ferrari with a Tubi simpley because you're dealing with completely different motors, a twin turbo Flat-6 vs a naturally aspirated V8 or 12. Most exhausts on the 997TT are going to be somewhat quiet and that's just because you have those VTGs muffling the sound if you will. Most people actually find the Tubi to be one of the best sounding ones (it's higher pitched than most of the others) to be honest. Try listening to a MillTek (super-quiet), Tech Art (deeper and a touch louder), Cargraphic (deeper), AWE (deeper), Fabspeed (deeper) and see what you think. Even with straight pipes these cars aren't super-loud. The 996TT didn't have the same turbos and were significantly louder with similair exhaust set ups. I'd try and talk to whoever you got the exhaust from and maybe arrange to listen to other set ups to compare? As I was saying the 997TT will never sound like an F-car.

Another tip is to maybe add headers, which will make it louder/deeper as well...Here's a clip from way back with a Tubi and headers:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xjIF1TDDgw

Personally, I really like the tubi and there are pluses and minuses to all of the set ups out there. You need to consider what's right for you in terms out outside sound, weight (the tubi is the lightest), resonance, flow, fitment etc...<<

As a matter of fact I've read messages on 6-speed from 2 guys that switched from other exhausts to the Tubi because of it's quality & sound. But it doesn't prove that Tubi is the best system, just means for them it is.

Gregg (or anyone),
    Do you happen to know the weight savings of Cargraphic vs. AWE vs. Tubi please?
    Thanks.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

btw: I'll give you a "difference". Tubi is the lighest system & is made with platinum & radium. What that means exactly I honestly dont know but that's what I read

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Gregg (or anyone),
    Thanks.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

In the Tubi ad it says the system is 26lbs lighter than stock. I don't know how that compares w/ the others but have read the Tubi is the lightest.

Do you know what the stock system weighs?

Gregg,

You are opening a can of worms and no matter what I say, I suspect someone is bound to disagree.

There are 3 issues:

1. Construction and appearance: If from a reputable company, the more expensive cables *should* be better constructed, possibly with better shielding, possibly with better & more robust connector (the part at the end of the cable). For sure they tend to look nicer and feel better to hold, which for me, and knowing how you are--I suspect for you as well, is extremely (LOL) important. Even when I rarely see the cables, just knowing there are PRETTY cables back there make me feel happy. This alone is almost enough for me to justify buying expensive cables. But I know, I am crazy like that.

2. Does 1 (construction, shielding, etc.) result in a. better picture, or b. better sound? To many this is the bottom line. And the bottom line requires that you plug the cable A in and compare it to cable B. How the test is done is a HUGELY controversial issue (blind vs. non blind) and I won't go into it here.

3. My prediction: Video wise, I don't think there will be a difference that you and I could see, *assuming* the cheaper cables are well constructed and shielded. Audio wise, if there is a difference, it would be easier to pick up on a high resolution system with trained ears (Tubi money type for just the DVD player, etc.). On a tv system's speakers, it might be more difficult or impossible to discern. Bottom line: Plug the cables in and compare. My opinion is you and only you matter, if you do hear or see a difference, then there is a difference.

Don't forget 1. It's sort of like pride of ownership and can't be measured easily in dollars and cents. And as a Ferrari owner, I am sure you could related to the concept. My DILA front projector is driven by a thing called "Home Theater Computer" (I was one of the certified AVS Forum's "wackos" that Bill (Turbobill) inadvertently referred to in his post.) with a VGA cable that costs oh around 300-400. And I would spend the same money again.

Re. your friend's comment, I believe he's referring to the bit is bit concept. Digital signal is 0 and 1 and nothing in between. This is another hugely controversial topic. Suffice it to say, when it comes to high end audio, I don't necessarily agree with him. We use digital transports that output digital signal, and they DO sound different from each other. This has been partially explained by a parameter called jitter.

Sorry for the long winded answer. Hope this helps. *We* could be sooo nutty sometimes when it comes to toys. LOL.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    No, no problem but when I bought cables for my 1080p (73" Mitsu DLP) I bought 2 Monster M1000 HDTV HDMI Cables (one for blu-ray) & the other for Hi-Def Cable. When I mentioned this to a friend of mine he said I wasted my money because a quality HDMI cable doesnt add anything. He said the HDMI signal is either on or off as long as it's transmitting you cant change the quality of the signal w/ a better cable. I've got a 50" & a 55" in the house too but they're 1080i. ...snip...

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Gregg (or anyone),
    Thanks.

The CG weight savings and other info can be found here:

CG website

Quote:

This TÜV approved and certified sportexhaustsystem from turbochargers backwards has been developed with RS-Tuning on their in house dyno. Part of this system are special large 130mm trimetal catalysers which are fully OBD2 compliant. This mandrel bent system is developed for maximum flow and achieves a powerincrease of 19kw (25HP) and a torque increase of 30Nm with a reduced backpressure of nearly 50%. A deep throaty sound and a weight reduction of 5kg are further advantages of this hand-made quality stainless steel system which is lifetime guaranteed to the original purchaser (Catalysers carry 2 year warranty).
    Not covered for Racing or offroad use.

3 sound levels available.

It also has a link to listen to the Super Sound Export-Version (LOUD):

http://www.cargraphic.de/stepone/data/downloads/9c/08/00/P97TETS.mp3

Sorry to hear this and I hope you get this resolved. I have a drone/resonance in one of my cars and don't know how it is compared to yours but it drives me a little crazy. I am glad that Tubi and AWE allow full refund if you're not happy in any way (Don't know about Cargraphic, anyone knows?).

BTW, a Tubi owner who complained about drone answered my PM. His 997 TT is manual and the drone occurs in 6th gear at 80 mph, on slow acceleration. *Assuming* the installation is correct, it's a complete puzzle to me why some owners have this and some don't (Doug's Tubi has none). I was told that the drone is more common in auto transmission but this particular car is 6speed manual.

Quote:
    GT said:
    My CG still has resonance at 2.5k rpm sadly and this is my only complain.. Jason any chance you could send me a picture of how yours is installed so that I can show it to my mechanic please..?

So the CG is 11 lbs. lighter than stock.

Sounds really good in the clip btw.

PS: Cann - Thanks for that explaination.

Can, you do know that I am being sarcastic when I say "wackos" right? On the audiophile wacko scale of 1-10, I definetely score above the charts. I've had the sickness going on 10 years, ever since I could afford to play, I mean pay

Of course I do and thought what you said was so hilarious. The name AVS made me jump--I've not been there for a while and couldn't believe that name would come up here on this forum.

(BTW, got your email. Yes anytime is good. This Sunday I might be busy but I'll email you.)

Quote:
    TurboBill said:
    Can, you do know that I am being sarcastic when I say "wackos" right? On the audiophile wacko scale of 1-10, I definetely score above the charts. I've had the sickness going on 10 years, ever since I could afford to play, I mean pay

You are welcome Gregg.
    BTW, agreed with your post above. There is a sound for everyone; no right or wrong.
    I just found out AWE is 20 lbs lighter, fwiw.
    This thread has been educational for me.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    So the CG is 11 lbs. lighter than stock.

Sounds really good in the clip btw.

PS: Cann - Thanks for that explaination.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    cannga said:
    Gregg (or anyone),
    Thanks.

Quote:
    STRADALE said:

In the Tubi ad it says the system is 26lbs lighter than stock. I don't know how that compares w/ the others but have read the Tubi is the lightest.

Do you know what the stock system weighs?

CG is 5kg lighter than the stock. like 12 pounds.Tubi is the lightest and loudest.

Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    Quote:
    cannga said:
    Gregg (or anyone),
    Thanks.

The CG weight savings and other info can be found here:

CG website

Quote:

This TÜV approved and certified sportexhaustsystem from turbochargers backwards has been developed with RS-Tuning on their in house dyno. Part of this system are special large 130mm trimetal catalysers which are fully OBD2 compliant. This mandrel bent system is developed for maximum flow and achieves a powerincrease of 19kw (25HP) and a torque increase of 30Nm with a reduced backpressure of nearly 50%. A deep throaty sound and a weight reduction of 5kg are further advantages of this hand-made quality stainless steel system which is lifetime guaranteed to the original purchaser (Catalysers carry 2 year warranty).
    Not covered for Racing or offroad use.

3 sound levels available.

It also has a link to listen to the Super Sound Export-Version (LOUD):

http://www.cargraphic.de/stepone/data/downloads/9c/08/00/P97TETS.mp3

Thanks for the link, I love the sound

Quote:
    cannga said:
    Sorry to hear this and I hope you get this resolved. I have a drone/resonance in one of my cars and don't know how it is compared to yours but it drives me a little crazy. I am glad that Tubi and AWE allow full refund if you're not happy in any way (Don't know about Cargraphic, anyone knows?).

BTW, a Tubi owner who complained about drone answered my PM. His 997 TT is manual and the drone occurs in 6th gear at 80 mph, on slow acceleration. *Assuming* the installation is correct, it's a complete puzzle to me why some owners have this and some don't (Doug's Tubi has none). I was told that the drone is more common in auto transmission but this particular car is 6speed manual.

Quote:
    GT said:
    My CG still has resonance at 2.5k rpm sadly and this is my only complain.. Jason any chance you could send me a picture of how yours is installed so that I can show it to my mechanic please..?

Can, I was reminded of your exhaust dilema as I drove the Tubi in to work this morning. I thought what a great sounding exhaust this Tubi turned out to be. It is a very high end premium exhaust, with great attention to detail. I would describe it as a moderate exhaust, it does not drone or have any excessive resonance. Sure, it's loud on cold startup- as they ALL are. And yes it is louder than stock in the 2200-2600 range, esp when cold, as soon as it warms up it is very benign. It never, ever hits that peak resonant frequency like other exhausts that leave your ears ringing. I have absolutely no problem taking the wife out to dinner or cruising through the docs parking garage with this exhaust. I even tried cruising at 80mph in 6th gear-approx 2800 rpm ( which is hard to do in these cars!) and there is nothing, zero, nada drone. So I don't know what's up with that.This has lived up to everything I was promised and really is the perfect exhaust for me. You really owe it to yourself to check out the Tubi.

I have heard both Tubi and CG loud and when idling they sound so much alike and when accelerating Tubi has much higher pitch while CG loud is deeper. I would say they are equal as far performance and quality and as far as the sound, that depends on the invidual and their taste. They are almost they same price too

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    I have heard both Tubi and CG loud and when idling they sound so much alike and when accelerating Tubi has much higher pitch while CG loud is deeper. I would say they are equal as far performance and quality and as far as the sound, that depends on the invidual and their taste. They are almost they same price too

You have to have both in your hands to see the quality. Quality wise the Tubi is way above. Sound wise it's personal preferance in terms of quality it's not a contest.

I know this is an exhaust thread but if you plan on making additional upgrades then surely you cannot ignore the merits of Cargraphic (RS-Tuning) paths.

The Cargraphic power-kit has an ECU program tuned SPECIFICALLY to the exhaust (+ BMC filter). There seems to be no upgrade 'package' that any of the major tuners have put together which utilizes the Tubi that I know of.

I could have had a custom rolling-road based power-kit with the Tubi, but then that's not exactly a TUV approved package. Rolling road issues have been documented on other recent threads to make me think twice about going anywhere near one. With the CG kit I don't have to.

Parr have a deal currently for about Pounds4900 (incl VAT and fitting) for the power-kit, down from about Pounds7000. That makes the choice a no-brainer I think.

By all accounts I am about to be totally blown away by how much of a transformation the power-kit makes. I cannot wait until next week!!

PS: how much do Porsche charge for their Turbo powerkits usually? And how much BHP does that give you again?! And as for the Pounds30k+ GT2

Any of these kits that reduce the backpressure while extending the boost curve is an unbelievable transformation from stock. There is better than Gt2 levels of power available on tap for the hungrier ones amongst us.

Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    I know this is an exhaust thread but if you plan on making additional upgrades then surely you cannot ignore the merits of Cargraphic (RS-Tuning) paths.

The Cargraphic power-kit has an ECU program tuned SPECIFICALLY to the exhaust (+ BMC filter). There seems to be no upgrade 'package' that any of the major tuners have put together which utilizes the Tubi that I know of.

I could have had a custom rolling-road based power-kit with the Tubi, but then that's not exactly a TUV approved package. Rolling road issues have been documented on other recent threads to make me think twice about going anywhere near one. With the CG kit I don't have to.

Parr have a deal currently for about Pounds4900 (incl VAT and fitting) for the power-kit, down from about Pounds7000. That makes the choice a no-brainer I think.

By all accounts I am about to be totally blown away by how much of a transformation the power-kit makes. I cannot wait until next week!!

PS: how much do Porsche charge for their Turbo powerkits usually? And how much BHP does that give you again?! And as for the Pounds30k+ GT2

No plans for an ECU for me. Throwing away a warranty on a new $180,000 vehicle is not my idea of a good idea. Maybe after the warranty period is up though.

Doug,

Thank you for the suggestion. The quality of Tubi and positive users' reporsts are indeed compelling. I am in no hurry and plan to do some more listening.

I may get to hear Ed's Cargraphic today. And perhaps the elusive Tubi some time in the future. I travel to Northern Cal. once/twice a year and I am sure there will be one to listen to up there (Alex's Sharkwerks).

I sort of enjoy the shopping process even more than the acquisition. So the dilemma is fun to have. It will come down to the character of the sound. Thanks again Doug.

Quote:
    TT Gasman said:

Can, I was reminded of your exhaust dilema as I drove the Tubi in to work this morning. I thought what a great sounding exhaust this Tubi turned out to be. It is a very high end premium exhaust, with great attention to detail. I would describe it as a moderate exhaust, it does not drone or have any excessive resonance. Sure, it's loud on cold startup- as they ALL are. And yes it is louder than stock in the 2200-2600 range, esp when cold, as soon as it warms up it is very benign. It never, ever hits that peak resonant frequency like other exhausts that leave your ears ringing. I have absolutely no problem taking the wife out to dinner or cruising through the docs parking garage with this exhaust. I even tried cruising at 80mph in 6th gear-approx 2800 rpm ( which is hard to do in these cars!) and there is nothing, zero, nada drone. So I don't know what's up with that.This has lived up to everything I was promised and really is the perfect exhaust for me. You really owe it to yourself to check out the Tubi.

I know it gets hidden but it's a thing of beauty:

http://www.championmotorsport.com/997EXHAUST.htm

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    Quote:
    edz61 said:

You have to have both in your hands to see the quality. Quality wise the Tubi is way above. Sound wise it's personal preferance in terms of quality it's not a contest.

Greg you have every right to be wrong but you are still my pal

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691246 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410292 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256310 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235446 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65772 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858929 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775261 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM