Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Getting IPD Plenum and ECU Tuning next week

Gents:

I just talked to Duane of Vision Motor Sports in Orange County CA. http://www.visionmotorsports.com/

he spoke higly of Protomotive, GIAC and APR but when he talked about FVD, what really got my attention was that FVD is a German based company that works closely with Porsche. For about $3000 you can get 530 H.P (see below). Duane will copy my software save a copy and e-mail a copy to germany. The software will get modified in Germany and e-mailed back to Vision Motor Sports, now there is an original copy and a modified copy of the software so I can re-set to it's original settings if I have to.

http://shop.fvd.de/?VID=523900&VCD=5...y=&CarYear=

I asked him about the IPD plenum. He said he was just approached by IPD but he has never installed one. He made me a deal. That if I just pay for the part, he will install the IPD plenum, he will dyno the car before and after and there is no difference he will remove it and I will pay nothing. If the IPD plenum makes a difference he will leave it in and will charge no labor just for the part. Then he will do the ECU tuning and then dyno the car again. My car has only 800 miles on it but he said it will be no harm to the car.

The good news is that I will have the follwoing my rennteamers:

1- My stock 997TT dyno results
    2- My 997TT with IPD Plenum dyno results
    3- My 997TT with FVD ECU Tuning + IPD Plenum dyno results.

Duane says this is his 1st shot at the plenum so he is not sure what to expect but if it does really work I should have at least 550+ crank H.P. (ECU+IPD Plenum).

Anyone has any info on FVD or any comments on what I have stated here? I would love to hear your comments.

Re: Getting IPD Plenum and ECU Tuning next week

Sounds good! Very interested in the effect of the IPD plenum. I have read various results on different forums.

Regarding FVD I have only heard positive things and the fact that they have been in the Porsche tuning business for over 20 years is somewhat comforting. My Boxster is at the garage and is getting the FVD (Stage 1) ECU tuning right now and I consider the same for my Turbo later this year, but I would then add the FVD exhaust as well. I heard a few sound clips from a Turbo with this exhaust and it sounds very nice (plus it adds approx. 20HP on top of the ECU tuning).

Great news! I think we're all looking forward to your dynos.

YOU'RE DA MAN!

Can't wait to see the results!

Any idea when you're going to do this?

ps: No exhaust?

Make sure you do an exhaust if not done already. The ECU cannot safely increase boost if there is not diminished backpressure and Exhaust Gas Temperatures first

Quote:
    STRADALE said:
    YOU'RE DA MAN!

Can't wait to see the results!

Any idea when you're going to do this?

ps: No exhaust?

Thanks bud I will do the exhaust later. I just want to have a little fun at the time. If I do it all now I will not know which mod has contributed the most.

Quote:
    bluelines said:
    Sounds good! Very interested in the effect of the IPD plenum. I have read various results on different forums.

Regarding FVD I have only heard positive things and the fact that they have been in the Porsche tuning business for over 20 years is somewhat comforting. My Boxster is at the garage and is getting the FVD (Stage 1) ECU tuning right now and I consider the same for my Turbo later this year, but I would then add the FVD exhaust as well. I heard a few sound clips from a Turbo with this exhaust and it sounds very nice (plus it adds approx. 20HP on top of the ECU tuning).

That's good to hear, the GIAC guys claim they have the best and I really don't know who has the best tuning but knowing these guys are german based makes me feel good

Quote:
    hatchback said:
    Great news! I think we're all looking forward to your dynos.

10-4, I should be dropping the car off next week. Becuase they using my car to test the IPD and also the down time for e-mailing the software it will be the week after or next weekend before I have the results. If I get the results on the phone before I pick up the car I will post them.

Quote:
    eclou said:
    Make sure you do an exhaust if not done already. The ECU cannot safely increase boost if there is not diminished backpressure and Exhaust Gas Temperatures first

Thanks for sharing, I had no clue. So I just called FVD HQ in Florida and asked them. You are right because the car now moves more exhaust through the same restricted system heat build up can be an issue. Neverthelss the while the heat build up can affect performance (will cause no damage) FVD tells me that it would be an issue for someone who drives like a mad man 24/7 and tracks the car. For drivers who like to take the car on the freeway and get on it several times here and there this will not be an issue. Bottom line it's better to change the exhaust but FVD has many clients that have done the software only.

Anxiously awaiting the results. Thanks.

Quote:
    imcarnuts said:
    Anxiously awaiting the results. Thanks.

I will have results very soon

Edz61 regarding the exhaust I have quite a bit of info for you, PM me if you want. I experimented as well with/without and I think an exhaust is crucial for this car.. The egt's are quite high for the stock car as is and you ll be robbed of power, response and potentially fuel consumption as well. I know because I learned the hard way; I paid $$ to correct my mistake..

Quote:
    GT said:
    Edz61 regarding the exhaust I have quite a bit of info for you, PM me if you want. I experimented as well with/without and I think an exhaust is crucial for this car.. The egt's are quite high for the stock car as is and you ll be robbed of power, response and potentially fuel consumption as well. I know because I learned the hard way; I paid $$ to correct my mistake..

Wow, now I don't know what to do I have a deal with one speed shop for GIAC + Exhaust or this deal for FVD + Plenum and exhuast later, so I have to make a decision. FVD HQ is telling me that the IPD Plenum is good for 10-12 H.P. on a stock car and on a tuned car could be as high as 20 H.P. Maybe it's best to keep the car stock

Why don't you go ahead with the FVD deal and get the dyno info. Once you get these numbers and perhaps take a few days to enjoy the new power, upgrade the exhaust and dyno again to see the results?

Quote:
    trip said:
    Why don't you go ahead with the FVD deal and get the dyno info. Once you get these numbers and perhaps take a few days to enjoy the new power, upgrade the exhaust and dyno again to see the results?

I just called Vision Motorsports and asked Duane. He has 30 years experience with Porsches. He agrees with the concept but he disagrees with the setback without the exhaust. Granted the exhaust helps but lack of it will not take away from the H.P. the software claims. I will go for it and change the exhaust later.

Upping the boost without reducing backpressure is a bad combination if you plan to push the car. If you don't really plan on pushing the car for extended periods, it may not be an issue, but the engine ecu pulls timing and boost based on the EGT. If the EGT goes up the ECU can dramatically cut down power to protect itself. You end up potentially making less power than stock. None of the other Porsches in 30 years have included an EGT sensor in the turbo from the factory. Porsche must have already recognized the danger of the high EGTs in these VTG turbo powered cars to pay for the additional hardware.

I would definitely agree with eclou on this one. If I had a 997tt the first mod would be the exhaust for sure. The ECU and plenum will complement this nicely if you still feel the need for more power. May I ask why you are so hesitant to change the exhaust?

I have dealt with lying Bryan and "fast Willy" brombacher who is the owner of FVD. The parts are ok nothing special. I dealt with them as I did a project where I wanted to put a 996 engine in my boxster S. So I purchased the engine and the kit from willy as he assured me OH JA it plugs right in. What i can tell you is NO it does not plug right in --we got it to work but no thanks to them. Then I purchased other parts from them in florida and after finishing my car and driving it I sent my car to them to sell. Instead of sellin g it they tracked it and basically destroyed it ---so good marketing but I really would not waste my time with them. My experiences have been good though with techart, Heinz at Gemballa in California and if you are looking for headers S-car go in california as well--really good stuff. for software I would steer clear of the GAIC stuff and have Heinz source you whatever software you need as I have used both his stuff and techart and it is good. by the way the parts from 9ff seem to be good quality as well. but steer clear of FVD ----

Gents, I guess we all have different experiences with different products and different people. mr. clean thanks for sharing you story and I am really sorry about your bad experience. I am not crazy about GIAC either and have personally had good experience with Revotechnik but their software for the TT is not out yet. So now that there are so many debates about the ECU tuning (I remember RC warned us all about this, where are you RC, we need your help), I might just do the exhaust and IPD plenum. A mechanic who happens to be a damn good one told me once stay away from Porsche forums as they will be only confusing the hell out of me. Now I see why, but then agin I appreciate everyone's honesty in trying to help me. mr. clean who si Heinz??

Quote:
    trip said:
    I would definitely agree with eclou on this one. If I had a 997tt the first mod would be the exhaust for sure. The ECU and plenum will complement this nicely if you still feel the need for more power. May I ask why you are so hesitant to change the exhaust?

I am not reluctant I just want to cycle the mods and enjoy doing so much at the time and that way I have something to look forward to next. I might just do the exhaust + IPD plenum for now and hold off on the ECU. Trip have done any mods yourself? I am asking because we are both in CA and I am interested to know who you have dealt with? I have talked to GMG, Stuttgart, Vision Motor Sports and The Speed Gallery so far.

Quote:
    eclou said:
    Upping the boost without reducing backpressure is a bad combination if you plan to push the car. If you don't really plan on pushing the car for extended periods, it may not be an issue, but the engine ecu pulls timing and boost based on the EGT. If the EGT goes up the ECU can dramatically cut down power to protect itself. You end up potentially making less power than stock. None of the other Porsches in 30 years have included an EGT sensor in the turbo from the factory. Porsche must have already recognized the danger of the high EGTs in these VTG turbo powered cars to pay for the additional hardware.

eclou, you are very knowledgable and I certainly appreciate your input. I will not track this car and if I drive hard it will be for a few short minutes on a freeway so the heat issue may not be a concern to me. Nevertheless I will get the exhaust sooner or later. Thanks again for the advice.

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    Quote:
    trip said:

I am not reluctant I just want to cycle the mods and enjoy doing so much at the time and that way I have something to look forward to next. I might just do the exhaust + IPD plenum for now and hold off on the ECU. Trip have done any mods yourself? I am asking because we are both in CA and I am interested to know who you have dealt with? I have talked to GMG, Stuttgart, Vision Motor Sports and The Speed Gallery so far.

Sure, I've done some mods. Exhaust, chip, boost controller, fuel pressure regulator, cone filter...On my 944 turbo! Unfortunately I do not own a 997tt so feel free to ignore my advice. I am simply restating what I've learned from reading these forums for the past couple of years and living somewhat vicariously through my father's car

Quote:
    edz61 said:
    Quote:
    trip said:

That's what I would do. Matter of fact that's what I AM doing, Plenum plus exhaust first and then later doing the ECU (maybe). This progression makes much more sense to me, getting a Turbo charged car breathing in AND out better w/ a Plenum & Exhaust then do the ECU later.

I understand where you're coming from, wanting to do the mods. in stages so that you can appreciate the performance changes, even more reason for doing the exhaust & plenum together & then later doing the ECU. If you do the ECU first you will notice a change but may or may not notice the added benefit from the plenum & exhaust afterwards. But if you do the Plenum & exhaust first, it's very likey you will notice the change & then will also feel the difference again once you do the ECU. Make sense?

Good luck in whatever you decide though. Really looking forward to your #'s.

Speaking of breathing, how about the addition of a sports air filter too?

Quote:
    trip said:
    Quote:
    edz61 said:
    Quote:
    trip said:

Sure, I've done some mods. Exhaust, chip, boost controller, fuel pressure regulator, cone filter...On my 944 turbo! Unfortunately I do not own a 997tt so feel free to ignore my advice. I am simply restating what I've learned from reading these forums for the past couple of years and living somewhat vicariously through my father's car

Hey bud 997TT or 944T you are a team mate and I appreciate your input and your experience regardless.

Stradale:

I agree with your thinking. I am confident that if I do the exhaust + Plenum 1st I will feel a significant difference when I add the ECU VS. doing the ECU 1st and then the exhaust. It's like having an orgasm before having sex

Quote:
    Alex_ said:
    Speaking of breathing, how about the addition of a sports air filter too?

Unfortunately the throttle bodies would be the bottleneck too. To really open things up, you'd have to do the sport filters, plenum and the throttle bodies. I haven't heard of anyone offering to "port" those yet.

We should keep in mind if the marketing departments were to be taken at face value. I have calculated the following
    Exhaust 20-30HP depends on who's
    Headers 10-25HP """""" "" """
    IPD Plenum 10-25HP """""" "" """
    Air Filter 0-10HP """"" "" """

Overall 40-90HP without ECU or taking the motor apart, if only Porsche was on to this the GT2 would be 5K more than the 997TT. Porsche would also not needed to increase boost to 1.4

I believe the sum total of the above will be less than 40HP at the crank and likely nearer to 30.

One mans opinion.

Quote:
    LAT said:
    We should keep in mind if the marketing departments were to be taken at face value. I have calculated the following
    Exhaust 20-30HP depends on who's
    Headers 10-25HP """""" "" """
    IPD Plenum 10-25HP """""" "" """
    Air Filter 0-10HP """"" "" """

Overall 40-90HP without ECU or taking the motor apart, if only Porsche was on to this the GT2 would be 5K more than the 997TT. Porsche would also not needed to increase boost to 1.4

I believe the sum total of the above will be less than 40HP at the crank and likely nearer to 30.

One mans opinion.

Sounds good to me, I'd take 30-40hp at the crank w/ out an ECU anyday.

But imo the headers are not worth that nor the airfilter worth 10hp. You can actually lose power in the lower revs w/ headers. But gains from an after-market exhaust is documented so are gains from the Plenum.

Porsche stock headers are pretty good as they are and the filter change is not that significant of H.P. add. The Plenum + exhaust should get you 35+ h.p. at the crank. I guarantee you one thing, no two cars run alike and one is always quicker. I have even dynoed two identical cars and one put more H.P.(slightly) on the rear wheel than the other. With Porsches, drive the car fast and the computer learns very quickly that the engine has to act accordingly. Drive slow and the car will get lazy. I have driven Porsches broken in by women and you get on the damn car and it does not go anywhere

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 2:04 PM
    RCA
    802825 1806
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448442 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265975 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89979 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6450 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885471 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832566 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM