Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Mission E...the future of Porsche?

tso:

Then I am just not a car guy wink

Maybe you are just a race guy? Smiley Adrenaline junky? Smiley

I have a buddy who rides motorcycles (has three of them) like a maniac (I have to admit he is a very skilled rider, he once gave my wife almost a heart attack when he came next to me on the right on the Autobahn at around 240 kph and did a wheelie Smiley). Cars? He drives an old Mercedes C class Diesel and when he joined us once for skiing in Austria, he drove like a sleeping pill, never over 140 kph and so slow, we always had to wait for him and got really annoyed about it. Seems to be a pattern with motorcycles riders. The husband of my wife's best friend loves motorcycles, has a Harley and another motorcycle but is scared to drive over 120 kph. Smiley Smiley His favorite car is his...RV. 

People are very different, which is good. Avoids boredom. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

noone1:

The difference is that the SUV becomes obsolete and not-nice very quickly compared to cheap stuff since that kind of technology moves very quickly. The brand new G-Class has an inferior infotainment system than the new A-Class. And then 12 months from now some new SUV from Toyota will have self-driving sensors that the $150K G-Class doesn't. If you just buy cheaper cars more often, you end up having better cars more often.

You pay largely for exotic style when you buy an exotic, and those looks don't show up every 12 months in new $30K cars. However, all the technology in a high-end SUV shows up in new $30K car constantly. The technologies that makes an SUV daily driver nice are ones that aren't terribly expensive.

Here's the rear view mirror in the new 2019 Rav4. Does the new Cayenne have this? The new Rav4 also supports Alexa. Does the new Cayenne support Alexa?

I think a Cayenne can work with Alexa, yes Smiley

https://www.instagram.com/alexacollins/?hl=es

Too thin and there is something about her face annoying me...and I really love this type of woman...oops...girl. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Love the seat position and the dashboard touch sensitive control buttons.blush

Thought you folks might enjoy this piece I wrote for a U.S. Porsche magazine.  Remember it is supposed to be  light hearted and tailored for Porsche enthusiasts.  

The Sound of Silence

Lausanne, Switzerland, March 6, 2018

I woke up tired and grumpy, feeling every one of my 75 years.  The bed was wonderful, the weather freezing and the 8:10 AM Porsche Press Conference was at least an hour away at the Geneva Auto Show.  I wasn’t particularly interested in the predicted debut of the new GT3RS, as I had seen its GT2RS big brother in Washington a few days earlier.  I yawned as I imagined yet another typical Porsche announcement, with smoke billowing from a giant movie screen where a new racing model screamed ear-piercingly around an imaginary track.   I was getting too old for this.

But curiosity eventually prevailed.  I caught the train to Geneva and arrived just as the press conference was shutting down.  A Lizard Green GT3RS was on the show floor, not on stage where I expected it.  What was featured on the stage was the most un-Porsche-looking Porsche I had ever seen, under a backdrop that read “World Premiere Mission E Cross Turismo”.  It looked like a white oversized Lego model with black plastic parts and blue wheel rims.  Was this Porsche’s version of the Toyota Rav4? I was aghast.

And the thing was all electric, flanked by signs bragging it would “quietly and seamlessly integrate into your digital lifestyle.” Was this a cell phone on wheels?   Where were the flowing iconic lines of the 911, the brutal exhaust ports of the GT3RS?  Where were the blaring howls of the 919s my son and I had thrilled to in Austin last September?

Amidst this confusion, I decided that what really bugged me the most was the lack of sound.  Porsche certainly has a rally/off road history that the Cross Turismo could mimic, but not a silent golf cart history.  And what about pure racing—the essence of Porsche’s brand?  Wasn’t sound vital to the emotion and excitement of LeMans, Daytona, Sebring?  Or just as vitally, to enliven daily driving in a world of soulless cars and traffic?

Over my next days at the Show, I questioned Porsche engineers and representatives about the future of sound for the brand.  Did they think this was an issue?  Was Porsche losing its soul? 

I happily discovered that everyone is taking the matter of sound and Porsche seriously. Engineers are intensely focused on what particular sound, in the new hybrid and electric world, will assure the unique driver involvement of a Porsche.  There is vigorous debate, even argument, over the path forward.  As Dr. Frank-Steffen Walliser , Vice President Motorsport and GT cars,  told me:  “ The future of sound for Porsche is a critical concern.  We understand that it is connected to passion and the thrill of racing and sport driving.  Our engineers appreciate its importance and we will find answers to satisfy Porsche customers.”  

When I pressed for details, Walliser continued, “Whatever answer we find will not be artificial.  We will not create sound that is separate from the total feel of the car.  We will find a way to capture and perhaps amplify the workings of the performance components of a Porsche sports car.”

While I was more assured, I was not convinced.  I kept thinking that, despite the best efforts, the sound of future Porsches would just not be the same.  And I still could not force myself to like this odd creation on stage.  I could possibly envision a sleek, silent, and beautiful Panamera, but not a boxy off road vehicle with raised suspension and cheap-looking black cladding.  

I would have remained grumpy and disdainful but for a wonderfully enlightening conversation I had with a young entrepreneur and former professional racer.  As we stood in front of the Cross Turismo, I told him that I thought it was ugly and decidedly un-Porsche, and further was dubious about the lack of sound in it and future Porsches.  His comments astounded me.  “ My generation does not care much about how “beautiful” a car is.  We care about the most modern and efficient technology, and how the car fits our lifestyle.  I can certainly see me and my family-to-be enjoying this Porsche for outdoor adventures.  Of course I love the performance, but frankly I am ready to give up sound.”

To my surprise, his comments melted my criticisms.  He was honestly speaking the truth, and Porsche—certainly through its market research—had correctly discerned his demographic.  This car was perfect for an adventurous young generation, for hikers, bikers, climbers, skiers, surfers, paragliders, campers and fun loving families that admire Porsche performance, quality and technology.  And perfect for the speed enthusiast who wants the feel the thrust of 600HP as it slams him from 0-60mph in 3.5 seconds.

So now, what about the silence of it all?  Gradually I began to appreciate that silence and nature--and silence and technology—complement each other perfectly.  Who needs the howl and smell of an exhaust when you are in the mountains, or when you are admiring the scenery out of a full front to back glass roof?  Or when the interior is filled with cool technology like gauges that turn 3D when your eyes look at them?  

Of course I am further assured by knowing that Porsche is not going over the Dark Side of Pure Silence.  Sport/sound enthusiasts will still be able to acquire throaty 911s or full-bore howlers like the GT3RS.  But for the future, at least in concept, a new generation can also dream of a silent modern masterpiece that fits into and enhances their lifestyles.  (And aging journalists can dream about quiet press conferences).

And maybe that dream has already entered the mind of this grumpy old writer who longs to be young and hip. In fact, his computer now has a new screensaver—a silver Mission E Cross Turismo parked alongside a glass-roofed cabin and facing across a silent and tranquil lake into the woods beyond...

Pics for above piece..gt3rs geneva.jpgmission e crossover.jpg

Wonderful read, Sydney. Thanks for sharing. Smiley

To summarize it in short: We are a dying generation, maybe even breed. Sad but true. My son seems to be like me, he has petrol in his blood but 90% of his friends couldn't care less if a Porsche sounds good or bad, they want the brand, the tech and the performance or even better...if the car would drive by itself. Smiley 

In Germany, I noticed that many young men are driven most of the time, not driving themselves. Met the new boyfriend of one of my wife's friends daughter, she was driving, her boyfriend was the passenger. Met the son of one of my employees, his girlfriend was driving, he was the passenger. My daughter pointed a (male) class mate here and there when I picked her up, all of them were driven by their mothers, sisters, girl friends and all of them are over 18.

Males have changed over decades. Maybe we have been, somehow (secretly) emasculated or maybe this is part of the new hipster/rainbow/political correctness society but times have changed, especially for petrol heads like us.

Take a look...do you think these guys have petrol in their blood? Smiley

jumping-hipster.gif
    manny-mua-jeffree-star-drama.png.jpeg 

--

It is a creation of the 3rd gender, so called "Nu- males" or otherwise "Beta Cucks"

absent:

It is a creation of the 3rd gender, so called "Nu- males" or otherwise "Beta Cucks"

Agree.   One lives near a liberal college located in the South Loop area and am aghast by what is happening to our civilization.   Perhaps that could be taken as strong language but there is distinct difference in the generations.   Masculinity is considered toxic and femininity is currently considered passé.   I simply silently observe, enjoy my lake views, and head out to my country home as often as possible with the intent goal of becoming a modern day hermit. 

Wonderbar:

To my surprise, his comments melted my criticisms.  He was honestly speaking the truth, and Porsche—certainly through its market research—had correctly discerned his demographic.  This car was perfect for an adventurous young generation, for hikers, bikers, climbers, skiers, surfers, paragliders, campers and fun loving families that admire Porsche performance, quality and technology.  And perfect for the speed enthusiast who wants the feel the thrust of 600HP as it slams him from 0-60mph in 3.5 seconds.

So now, what about the silence of it all?  Gradually I began to appreciate that silence and nature--and silence and technology—complement each other perfectly.  Who needs the howl and smell of an exhaust when you are in the mountains, or when you are admiring the scenery out of a full front to back glass roof?  Or when the interior is filled with cool technology like gauges that turn 3D when your eyes look at them?  

I never understood why anybody wanted a loud car/motorcycle.

When I was a teenager there was a beautiful, silver-blue Ducati 900SS with a Lanfranconi pipe in our street. Beautiful. But even at this age I was pissed when the rider came back in the evening. We had a Countach in the neighborhood. I loved the smell of oil, the crackles of the hot motor when the car was parked. I loved the sound but even at that age I thought “why has the volume to be higher than the volume of the machines they used to build a new house in the direct neighborhood?” I didn’t know/ understand that customers wanted a loud car and that is not an engineering error.

My Porsches had PSE. I don’t know why. You can’t listen to music, you can’t use the telephone, it is even more stressful to talk with your passenger. In the end I used the flap for less than 1% of my mileage. Stupid investment.

But: I think it Is important to get an acoustic feedback while you are driving. But it doesn’t has to be loud

[to make it clear: I spent several weekends as a kid enjoying loud race cars at the Nürburgring. I loved and still love loud music (even Metal). But I don’t like loud cars on public streets]

So even if it is hard to believe: there are people at Christian’s age who enjoy driving cars with a soundlevel below a V10. This Mission E Grand Turismo could be the perfect car for me. And I do not look like those four guys.

Itsme:

I never understood why anybody wanted a loud car/motorcycle.

Maybe loud is the wrong description? There are loud cars and loud motorcycles sounding like crap. Maybe the words "proper sound" describe it better?

When I was a teenager there was a beautiful, silver-blue Ducati 900SS with a Lanfranconi pipe in our street. Beautiful. But even at this age I was pissed when the rider came back in the evening. We had a Countach in the neighborhood. I loved the smell of oil, the crackles of the hot motor when the car was parked. I loved the sound but even at that age I thought “why has the volume to be higher than the volume of the machines they used to build a new house in the direct neighborhood?” I didn’t know/ understand that customers wanted a loud car and that is not an engineering error.

You can use the exhaust button on modern cars and even old cars don't have to be that loud if the driver wants it (they usually don't, so don't blame the car...).

My Porsches had PSE. I don’t know why. You can’t listen to music, you can’t use the telephone, it is even more stressful to talk with your passenger. In the end I used the flap for less than 1% of my mileage. Stupid investment.

Are you sure you enjoy driving your car(s)? Smiley

But: I think it Is important to get an acoustic feedback while you are driving. But it doesn’t has to be loud

"Acoustic feedback"? Seriously? Smiley

[to make it clear: I spent several weekends as a kid enjoying loud race cars at the Nürburgring. I loved and still love loud music (even Metal). But I don’t like loud cars on public streets]

I love "good sounding" cars and motorcycles, this doesn't necessarily mean loud. Yes, I love loud music but not Metal. Maybe you just don't have a musical ear? Smiley Smiley Are you playing an instrument?

So even if it is hard to believe: there are people at Christian’s age who enjoy driving cars with a soundlevel below a V10. This Mission E Grand Turismo could be the perfect car for me. And I do not look like those four guys.

Let me ask a simple question: If you had the choice to spend two weeks on a vacation, would you choose a nice hotel on a quiet island or a vacation resort with lots of activities, shopping malls, concerts and similar stuff?

Don't worry, some of my friends/acquaintances seem to have switched from loud/fast sportscars to classic cars. The reason is often a change at heart, they just don't enjoy this stuff anymore, want a more quiet and relaxed life.

--

a nice hotel on a quiet island 

and never ever vacation resort with lots of activities, shopping malls 

--

AM

Shopping malls? 

ALDO:

a nice hotel on a quiet island 

and never ever vacation resort with lots of activities, shopping malls 

See...me and my wife would die of boredom after a day... Smiley

Most of our friends would prefer the nice hotel on a quiet island though, so you're not alone. Smiley  Probably the reason we usually vacation alone or with particular friends only.

--

noone1:

Shopping malls? 

Ah, forgot...you are the virtual type of guy, you order online only. Smiley

--

Just back from Fiji, first hotel never had more than 15 guests at a time, the second one is a 85% self sufficient island with over 400 staff and there was never more than 25 guests on it. All inclusive even motorized water sports. Never got bored, actually we didn’t have to do everything we anted in 16 days, and we only did 2 hours of shopping in the entire stay, very cool.

When we go to Miami and do some shopping, I don’t consider it vacation, it is just a nicer place to get the stuffs you need that you cannot get on the internet...

As great as America and Europe are in terms of quality of life, it does suck being so far away from places like Fiji, SE Asia, etc.

RC:

Let me ask a simple question: If you had the choice to spend two weeks on a vacation, would you choose a nice hotel on a quiet island or a vacation resort with lots of activities, shopping malls, concerts and similar stuff?

Nice hotel on a quiet island of course.

I live in the center of Munich and can reach all those nice luxury shops in less than 10min with the bicycle. While other people are still looking for a place to park the car I enjoy my or my wife’s new luxury item drinking a cappuccino in a café and looking the girls walking by.

I never counted the number of concerts I visited, several hundreds, not absolutely necessarily on vacation.

I have a stressful job and I enjoy nature, new countries, sports and culture when I am on vacation. I always try to combine at least three of those four items.

And yes I really enjoy driving a nice car. But for me it is a little bit like eating: you don’t have to visit a  *,** or ***star restaurant every evening, most of the time a good pasta is more than enough. And if the restaurant f!ck around with you you will visit a different Restaurant.

SciFrog:

Just back from Fiji, first hotel never had more than 15 guests at a time, the second one is a 85% self sufficient island with over 400 staff and there was never more than 25 guests on it. All inclusive even motorized water sports. Never got bored, actually we didn’t have to do everything we anted in 16 days, and we only did 2 hours of shopping in the entire stay, very cool.

I would die a slow death, my wife as well. Actually she would leave after a day or so... Smiley

When we go to Miami and do some shopping, I don’t consider it vacation, it is just a nicer place to get the stuffs you need that you cannot get on the internet...

Shopping itself is of course no vacation but can be very relaxing after a stressful day on the beach, wake boarding, jet skiing, whatever... Smiley

--

Maybe it's different in Europe. I don't think a shopping mall in Miami has anything that a shopping mall in Ohio doesn't.

Itsme:
    RC:

Nice hotel on a quiet island of course.

See? I knew it. This is why I asked. Smiley

I live in the center of Munich and can reach all those nice luxury shops in less than 10min with the bicycle. While other people are still looking for a place to park the car I enjoy my or my wife’s new luxury item drinking a cappuccino in a café and looking the girls walking by.

See? I would never do that. I enjoy driving, even parking. Smiley

I never counted the number of concerts I visited, several hundreds, not absolutely necessarily on vacation.

I prefer going to concerts on vacation because I am more relaxed. Also, I love Las Vegas for concerts because of the venues but Miami has caught up a little bit in the past, lots of nice concerts. My wife loves latin music (incl. Reggaeton and Salsa, I'm more of a Reggaeton only type of person when it comes to latin music)...Miami is perfect for that. 

I have a stressful job and I enjoy nature, new countries, sports and culture when I am on vacation. I always try to combine at least three of those four items.

I have a stressful job too (my business, my wife's business, some other stuff, two kids...) but I am a tech type of guy, never enjoyed nature. Culture? Had my share of culture when I was younger, sometimes more culture than was healthy for me, so no more (unless it is something really interesting and exceptional Smiley). 

And yes I really enjoy driving a nice car. But for me it is a little bit like eating: you don’t have to visit a  *,** or ***star restaurant every evening, most of the time a good pasta is more than enough. And if the restaurant f!ck around with you you will visit a different Restaurant.

I hate star restaurants and I am actually visiting the same restaurant again and again if I like it. I love the fact that I know the waiters and the food, so no bad surprises. Smiley

Just wanted to point out that people are very different but some people just got bored of loud and exciting. I get that but I'm not there...yet. Smiley

--

noone1:

Maybe it's different in Europe. I don't think a shopping mall in Miami has anything that a shopping mall in Ohio doesn't.

This is not only about the products but about getting stuff...very relaxing. Smiley Only one not enjoying shopping is my son but he has his smartphone, so he's good. Smiley Of course we are doing other stuff too, we love concerts and music.

Earth, Wind & Fire is in Munich soon, can't wait. Loved them since I was a kid, my daughter is the biggest fan.

No Rock'n Roll or Metal for me, sorry. 

--

SciFrog:

...a nicer place to get the stuffs you need that you cannot get on the internet...

What can you not get on the Internet these days? SmileySmiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:
    SciFrog:

...a nicer place to get the stuffs you need that you cannot get on the internet...

That's what I was wondering. Brick and mortar are for when you need something asap, like a wrench or some paint.

bluelines:
    SciFrog:

Clothes and shoes mostly... Nothing like seeing the real thing and trying for size. And some luxury items in nice flagship stores. Also off name brands that you don’t see a lot... We are very picky with clothes and sorry but the internet will not allow you to see how nice an item is.

noone1:

You clearly have not been shopping in Miami then. Everything you ever need is in two malls, Aventura and Bal Harbor. And there are other cool places too like Winwood, City Center, Merrrick Park, Lincoln Rd. Europe? Everything is spread out in major cities, you have to go everywhere. Smaller cities simply don’t have the shops. 

I have been to Aventura. I much rather stroll around in a city then in such a mall.

--

noone1:

As great as America and Europe are in terms of quality of life, it does suck being so far away from places like Fiji, SE Asia, etc.

There are cool places everywhere in the world, there is nowhere you will be close to everything.

bluelines:

I have been to Aventura. I much rather stroll around in a city then in such a mall.

Mee too, but you depend on the weather and it will take way more time for less choices. I try to minimize shopping time as much as possible to do other tings.

SciFrog:
    bluelines:

Mee too, but you depend on the weather and it will take way more time for less choices. I try to minimize shopping time as much as possible to do other tings.

That is the shopping I do on the Internet Smiley 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690388 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409692 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255933 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235179 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65637 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4654 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858355 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774612 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM