Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New 991.2 GT3 (2017)

the-missile:

car arrived at the seaport today...indecision

Great news Smiley. Enjoy it in good health. 

Mine is a August production. 

BTW, I had to order a spare tire (new regulation) but I am certain the spare will not be a center lock wheel. Let us know what yours is.

paulgt3:

Hello folks. My name is Paul Some may know me as Old Guy over at Rennlist. My friend Watt told me I would enjoy it over here. Not so many "I want my headlight ring to match my seatbelt color" GT3  threads here. More drivers. I got my white .2 GT3 in December.  I just changed the oil last week in my garage. So I think its time to hit the redline!  I have known Grant since our 993 days. This is my 3rd GT3. I had a 996, and a 997 GT3.  How do I put my pic in my avatar?

Hey Paul, I hope rennteam won't disappoint you as I remembered you departed from rennlist way back and then came back again.here if you don't talk about politics( in some extent ),everything else should be okeySmiley. Jokes are okey tho. Heck if you talk about R8, you'll get extra points....SmileySmiley,cheers

M3ike:

k4iHavNWRa61qfFUNidUbQ.jpg

Awesome car, Mike! Congratulations! I initially didn't realize it is your car, glancing over the pictures I was just stunned by it. The fact that you put in all those thoughts and have the stars become aligned for PTS make it even better. One can see that this is not a quick configuration but well thought through.

Please let us know first if you ever plan to sell the car... Smiley

paulgt3:

Hello folks. My name is Paul Some may know me as Old Guy over at Rennlist. My friend Watt told me I would enjoy it over here. Not so many "I want my headlight ring to match my seatbelt color" GT3  threads here. More drivers. I got my white .2 GT3 in December.  I just changed the oil last week in my garage. So I think its time to hit the redline!  I have known Grant since our 993 days. This is my 3rd GT3. I had a 996, and a 997 GT3.  How do I put my pic in my avatar?

Welcome, Paul! The ambience is quite different to RL, definitely. Whatever you think about the topics, the people behind are great.

By the way, who cares about seatbelts. What color are your rims? Smiley

paulgt3:

Hi Paul - great to see you over here Smiley

-Grant

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Porker:

Grant, ESC+TC turned off, as the goal was to let it play a little bit and the systems are quite restrictive, so my comments of overcorrecting are more referring to my own actions. Counter steering + the effect of RWS seems to exaggerate the desired effect, I'm assuming you have to give less input then what you're used to on older 911's. Smiley

OK, I got it.  Hmm, well a friend has a .2 GT3 Manual like mine and he took me for some laps at the track very sideways (Chris Harris style) and it looked really stable and easy to hold a slide (and he commented how easy it was to control with ESC and TC off).  Maybe the car is a little more twitchy with the first small amounts of sliding and then gets easier as the slip angles become larger?

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

paulgt3:

Hi Paul, as they say, a friend of Watt and Grant is a friend of ours so welcome and make yourself confortable Smileyby your post it seems you will fit right in.

Regarding the avatar, 
    1.- Click on "My Rennteam" button in the menu bar above
    2.- Select "Profile Settings" in the drop down bar
    3.- Click on the greenish  "Edit" button on the page
    4.- Only then, down bellow at the bottom of the page, the option to upload you avatar appears, where it says "Select picture from upload area"
    5-. Use the "Upload New File" button to select one from your computer and you are done.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

lexs4:
    Porker:

I just took the car out for a spirited drive on greasy/wet B-roads which I always tend to enjoy more than a modern car on dry roads as the limits are simply too high to explore. And while I'm completely in love with the 991.2 GT3, especially the engine and turn-in are on another level than the 997 RS, I struggle to trust it over the limit. Partly due to lack of experience (I'm at 2500km), but I suspect partly due to the RWS. Whilst I loved to "dance" with the 997 and let it slide at will, the 991.2 seems to 'bite' more. When it steps out of line under power in 2nd, it's all easily controllable. But when it does so at slightly higher speeds (low rpm 3rd/4th) and you correct, it seems to overcorrect, resulting in a 'tankslapper'. It never happened to me in the 997 and it happened twice in the 991 already, anyone else have the same impression?

I guess it's a matter of getting used to the effect of RWS, I'm certainly booking a course with the car to get to know that a bit better.

I'm pretty sure Chris Harris in his review of the .2 GT3 mentioned it was spikier in how it oversteered compared to the .1 GT3.  I thought when the car slides RWS is essentially disabled and the rear wheels are 'locked' straight.  Maybe they changed the programming for the .2 GT3?  Went for a 3 hour drive in my .1 GT3 Sunday and it seemed pretty progressive much like my old 991S.  Of course it was only 4C outside so the tires never really got up to temp...and I'm a crap driver...

Thanks for feedback, I've asked around with other owners and most seem to confirm that it takes some getting used to and is indeed relatively spiky. Some were quicker with their 997's initially, exactly because they trust them more. I'll explore a bit more in a safe environment to get to know the behavior.

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Grant:
    Porker:

Grant, ESC+TC turned off, as the goal was to let it play a little bit and the systems are quite restrictive, so my comments of overcorrecting are more referring to my own actions. Counter steering + the effect of RWS seems to exaggerate the desired effect, I'm assuming you have to give less input then what you're used to on older 911's. Smiley

OK, I got it.  Hmm, well a friend has a .2 GT3 Manual like mine and he took me for some laps at the track very sideways (Chris Harris style) and it looked really stable and easy to hold a slide (and he commented how easy it was to control with ESC and TC off).  Maybe the car is a little more twitchy with the first small amounts of sliding and then gets easier as the slip angles become larger?

--

That seems in-line with how I felt it, in the sense that full opposite lock under power is very enjoyable and controllable. It's more when the rear gets slightly out of line under lateral load, and when you correct that, that it bites. 

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

BjoernB:

@Frank : I drove the Mk2 yesterday from my boss and I was shocked how soft the clutch was - but then with the rev matching Manual it's super rewarding like the GT4. Car had only 700 km but twisty roads felt from a chassis point of view not different to the Mk1 - just a bit lower in "tone" which I guess comes from the increase of displacement, Having driven my RS997 Mk2 just last week-end over a pass the clutch and gears (taking it by the horns) in comparison  feels very old - but very manly . So whilst the 991 is unbelievable solid it is also a bit  "to perfect"  - quiet (no rattling) vs the 997RS shakes and rattles and whilst slower it is super rewarding kiss However, you cannot go wrong with a GT3 Mk1 or Mk 2 - probably the best 911 for people that are not tracking that much !

Exactly my feeling, a 991 certainly doesn't make a 997 feel obsolete, they're even compatible. You have the characterful 997 and the scalpel 991, they're great in their own way, and your RS is the best of the old-school breed IMO. Smiley

--

Hey guys thanks for the warm welcome!!!wink Just to answer a few questions, I dont know what color my headlight ring is. I never looked!! I didnt care because I cant see it when I am glancing at the tach!!!

Yes I read some posts before I got here and the men are MUCH HAIRIER here!! In fact I was an engineer on the Harrier jump jet. So I should fit in here! I am almost 60 now so I dont worry about politics just enjoying what gives me the most pleasure as life gets alot more mortal at this age!! But I will tell you I didnt even order leather! White with Front Axel Lift and thats it.  OH one last thing NO ROLEX!!! I was an aviation engineer for the Navy for 35 years and I only have one Breilting I bought years ago. No Chest hair for me, I am half Hispanic! So no beard or chest hair that doesnt look weak. I am also half Swiss that makes me a Beanerschnitzel. 

I didnt get to read all the other welcomes, I made the post late last night and then got up and went to play golf this morning! So I will read the others and get back to you. Again Thanks again for the warmest of welcomes!!!kiss

Just read Carlos's Post and I will try the avatar ASAP.

--

gone:993tt,996 GT3,997.1GT3,99.2 C2S,50thAnniversary

Hey Paul.. ‘beanerschnitzel’ hehehe! Funny, my Dad also worked on Harrier, AV8B, Viggen and others. Also I worked on T45 for the USN for a bit as well wink

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

One more answer. The diff in the GT3s:

996 GT3 was bought below MSRP because back then Mortgage brokers were making TONS of cash and my car was bought by a broker who wanted a Ferrari in 3 weeks. Watt helped me find it. It was an Animal. The owner also put on a FULL Manthey 410 kit on it. ECU Headers Racing cats, Solid shock mounts. I tracked that one a lot. And it bit me a lot!! I had more offs with that one than any other car. I dont think it had driver aids. The sound was glorious But it was also VERY sensitive to its aero. I remember one time I had taken off the front lip and went out to the desert for a 150mph run and when I got over 135 it just wasnt stable. I shut it down and put the lip back on and never took it back off.

My back was going south in 2007 So I traded up for a "softer ride" I think that was the pinnacle of GT3s as far as a drivers car goes. I had that one on Fontana not too long after the RLer died in his Carrera GT. But I was extremely cautious with that car. Never had a off with that one. Maybe the drivers aides. Even at Button willow Clockwise turn 3 I think off camber turn that bit me in the 996 quite a few times, it was fine through there. But we were starting to see where you could almost daily a GT3. Lots of fun to drive and the interior was a serious update over the austere 996. I was a much better driver in the 997.1 But it could have just been me getting better. It was the first car I would take on the big track at Willow. I sold that car because I felt the crash in 08 and I was afraid it was BIG. I sold it back to the dealer for 115 after paying 120 for it. Then for awhile I bought a AMG C63 which was a big  disappointment unless you just love eating tires. In 09 I tested a PDK car for the first time and I bought a C2S PDK. The 997.2 was so much better than the 997.1 and with the PDK I was a better driver than in my 997.1 GT3. Another reason was Porsche was really hurting in 09. I got the car for $78k(not including taxes) out the door after the rebates ($10K? then 10% OFF) and I got .9% financing which I had never seen on a Porsche. The lady and Bakersfiled Porsche said I was the first to qualify for both incentives. But then my back crashes as bad as the economy and I stopped going to the track FUSION in 09, which FAILED. Then another Fusion in 12. L5/S1 I got so much better that I wanted another GT3 in 14 but the STOP oder was out. So I bought a 50th because on paper it looked like a GT3 little brother or a GT3 minus. Then I left California and retired to Idaho. BTW after 4 years on pain meds when the second one worked it was HELL to get off. I had to have a doctors help and that 2 weeks was very painful. So dont take em unless you absolutely have to.

But that never stopped the wanting a GT3. You guys who have had one before know what I am  talking about. It feels as though you settled. Then when the 4 liter came out I knew I wanted it. But I went to my local dealer here in Boise and he hadnt a clue about the car. 2 months later he sends me a Email saying I am first on the list and they called the AutoGallery in LA to get the "Correct" markup. So I told them to stuff it. But I had spent so long monkeying with them I missed any chance of getting one MSRP. So almost 8 months later in Nov, they call me back and say they will sell me one for 15 over. I thought, OK not bad but still. So I go in and order it and they look at my 50th which I KNEW was around 110 wholesale. They wait 4 days telling me that they are TRYING THEIR HARDEST to get me the best price, and they come back with a 2014 C2S with Power kit at 90k. I said LATER. Called my old salesman who sold me the 50th and he did the deal on the phone in 30 minutes Got 110 for my car and 15 for the one that I have. It was on the floor and the guy backed out. I was going to order White with FAL, and this one was white FAL and red seat belts. The Seat belts being the only difference. I had actually THOUGHT about ordering the white metallic but when I saw it in person there is almost no difference. So I was going to order regular white. This one is MUCH more compliant than the 997 and can easily be a DD no issue. In fact the regular ride is more compliant than the Sport on the 991.1 

I just changed the oil so now I am going to go hit the river canyon roads around here and report back. The nearest track is in Central Oregon or Salt Lake. WHich is no problem because we used to go up to Fernley Nevada and rent that track. About the same difference. But I really look forward to it.

--

Dave what a coincidence!!! The US sold F/A-18s to Switzerland and I worked on the Swiss Lab stuff to support those aircraft. The Swiss engineers recognized my last name because there was another Guggenbuehl who taught EE at the Federal institute of Technology in Zurich. My Family is from Meilen in Canton Zurich. I have yet to go there but, its #1 on my bucket list.

--

AP911:
    the-missile:

car arrived at the seaport today...indecision

Great news Smiley. Enjoy it in good health. 

Mine is a August production. 

BTW, I had to order a spare tire (new regulation) but I am certain the spare will not be a center lock wheel. Let us know what yours is.

spare tyre installed in passenger seat during shipment...and will be immediately stored at delivery Smileyit is the low speed emergency red tyre...Smiley must be fun to have two for donuts Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 arriving, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

paulgt3:

My Family is from Meilen in Canton Zurich. I have yet to go there but, its #1 on my bucket list.

A very nice place on the shore of Lake Zürich kiss Both Dave and myself used to live in the district of Meilen, although not together indecision

throt will work with you on your chest hair. He is our resident advisor.

Welcome one more time wink

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:
    paulgt3:
    A very nice place on the shore of Lake Zürich kiss Both Dave and myself used to live in the district of Meilen, although not together indecision
    Good you mentioned it.....

I am confused now.

Did he mean they didn't lived together, or did he mean they didn't live in the district of Mellen together but could be, just not at Mellen?

--

Hey!!

I am not judging!

--

Paul

not sure if your Harrier links are military or industry but these military only Bremonts are pretty cool (and rare).

A nice addition to your Breitling?

IMG_1144.jpg

paulgt3:

One more answer. The diff in the GT3s:

996 GT3 was bought below MSRP because back then Mortgage brokers were making TONS of cash and my car was bought by a broker who wanted a Ferrari in 3 weeks. Watt helped me find it. It was an Animal. The owner also put on a FULL Manthey 410 kit on it. ECU Headers Racing cats, Solid shock mounts. I tracked that one a lot. And it bit me a lot!! I had more offs with that one than any other car. I dont think it had driver aids. The sound was glorious But it was also VERY sensitive to its aero. I remember one time I had taken off the front lip and went out to the desert for a 150mph run and when I got over 135 it just wasnt stable. I shut it down and put the lip back on and never took it back off.

My back was going south in 2007 So I traded up for a "softer ride" I think that was the pinnacle of GT3s as far as a drivers car goes. I had that one on Fontana not too long after the RLer died in his Carrera GT. But I was extremely cautious with that car. Never had a off with that one. Maybe the drivers aides. Even at Button willow Clockwise turn 3 I think off camber turn that bit me in the 996 quite a few times, it was fine through there. But we were starting to see where you could almost daily a GT3. Lots of fun to drive and the interior was a serious update over the austere 996. I was a much better driver in the 997.1 But it could have just been me getting better. It was the first car I would take on the big track at Willow. I sold that car because I felt the crash in 08 and I was afraid it was BIG. I sold it back to the dealer for 115 after paying 120 for it. Then for awhile I bought a AMG C63 which was a big  disappointment unless you just love eating tires. In 09 I tested a PDK car for the first time and I bought a C2S PDK. The 997.2 was so much better than the 997.1 and with the PDK I was a better driver than in my 997.1 GT3. Another reason was Porsche was really hurting in 09. I got the car for $78k(not including taxes) out the door after the rebates ($10K? then 10% OFF) and I got .9% financing which I had never seen on a Porsche. The lady and Bakersfiled Porsche said I was the first to qualify for both incentives. But then my back crashes as bad as the economy and I stopped going to the track FUSION in 09, which FAILED. Then another Fusion in 12. L5/S1 I got so much better that I wanted another GT3 in 14 but the STOP oder was out. So I bought a 50th because on paper it looked like a GT3 little brother or a GT3 minus. Then I left California and retired to Idaho. BTW after 4 years on pain meds when the second one worked it was HELL to get off. I had to have a doctors help and that 2 weeks was very painful. So dont take em unless you absolutely have to.

But that never stopped the wanting a GT3. You guys who have had one before know what I am  talking about. It feels as though you settled. Then when the 4 liter came out I knew I wanted it. But I went to my local dealer here in Boise and he hadnt a clue about the car. 2 months later he sends me a Email saying I am first on the list and they called the AutoGallery in LA to get the "Correct" markup. So I told them to stuff it. But I had spent so long monkeying with them I missed any chance of getting one MSRP. So almost 8 months later in Nov, they call me back and say they will sell me one for 15 over. I thought, OK not bad but still. So I go in and order it and they look at my 50th which I KNEW was around 110 wholesale. They wait 4 days telling me that they are TRYING THEIR HARDEST to get me the best price, and they come back with a 2014 C2S with Power kit at 90k. I said LATER. Called my old salesman who sold me the 50th and he did the deal on the phone in 30 minutes Got 110 for my car and 15 for the one that I have. It was on the floor and the guy backed out. I was going to order White with FAL, and this one was white FAL and red seat belts. The Seat belts being the only difference. I had actually THOUGHT about ordering the white metallic but when I saw it in person there is almost no difference. So I was going to order regular white. This one is MUCH more compliant than the 997 and can easily be a DD no issue. In fact the regular ride is more compliant than the Sport on the 991.1 

I just changed the oil so now I am going to go hit the river canyon roads around here and report back. The nearest track is in Central Oregon or Salt Lake. WHich is no problem because we used to go up to Fernley Nevada and rent that track. About the same difference. But I really look forward to it.

--

Hey OG,

totally remembered your story- your back, the Mercedes... 

happy retirement!   welcome back to GT3.Smiley

I switched from full time RL to RT here for few years.  Much more entertaining here.  Any threads can go OT.  The sky is the limit.Smiley

--

Tim

2010 997.2 GT3RS;  2008 Cayenne Turbo;  2006 911 Club Coupe;  2016 911 GTS Club Coupe;  2015 Macan S

DJ, Love the watch!! I worked AV-8B, then when there started working on this new Nav system no one had heard of before in the late 80's. I integrated the first one on a Navy fighter. It was called Global Positioning System. Wow did that one go big! But I also worked F/A-18 for awhile, then Tomahawk, and JSOW weapons and finished with the F-35. But mostly a TON of GPS stuff including 3 projects at Fallon with the SEALs (no I was NOT ever a SEAL) Including UAVs to solve the problem that caused the issue in the Lone Survivor movie where they couldn't make their comm check without giving their positions away. I worked as a flight test engineer for F35 and all those pilots liked Breitling. I have a navitimer cosmonaut 24 hour version that was limited addition. But I like that Bremont alot.

Tim I can see why. I just don't know who is buying GT3s any more. Over at RL it was Paint to Sample threads EVERY day. There was even a "Hey lets get all the PTS cars and do a drive!"  I posted why cant all the GT3s go on a drive?

The posts from the 996 (all track) to the 997 (mostly track) to this one, 991 is an amazing departure from driving to CXX options!! But if you, Grant and Watt are here, that says alot. And all the other threads I have read show that the people here are drivers and not hoarders. My kind of people!!

I MUST say that I am so impressed with all of you. I have been ready most of the 200 pages of this thread. BUT I have to say, I was a TINY bit alarmed and the request by some one for a GT3 Cab??!! With Back seats?? But it seemed to have calmed down. Quickly.

Thanks Carlos for helping me with my avatar. I kept going to Settings. I didnt realize there were settings for you profile and profile settings also. A bit confusing.

--

Paul glad you mentioned the GT3 Cab! smiley

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/04/porsche-911-speedster-will-last-hurrah-991/

--

Tesla Model S P100D & Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2017 Sept 991.2 GT3 ordered. 2020 Porsche Mission E on order

Check this one out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxFQHfNBfUg

Astons new 911 Fighter. I did hear that there WILL be a track version but its turbo charged. I am keeping this GT3 ( the plan) But I am looking for my next car, maybe a 458 . But this is interesting. Kind of heavy at 3400 lbs dry. But I like the looks.

--

EnglishManInNY:

Finally. I am getting mine in PTS. With matching tire valve caps.

--

paulgt3:

Check this one out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxFQHfNBfUg

I like.

--

Finally. I am getting mine in PTS. With matching tire valve caps.

You guys are good!!! 

--

Ha Paul, welcome! Finally a fellow aerospace engineer! Goes to show there is hope for me still... :-)
    Loving the thread on the GT3s, will take the time to properly read it tonight.
    Cheers, Joost

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

EnglishManInNY:

The new Porsche 911 GT Speedster will sound epic with that naturally aspirated Porsche Motorsport 4.0 litre flat-six! Smiley

It seems that Whoopsy has a GT Speedster on order, so these test mule pics are worth a closer look...

Did you notice the new Speedster gets the front hood from the GT3 RS? That also hints at the new 992 styling! Smiley

...so how about nberry? Maybe you could trade in your new GT3 RS for a limited edition Speedster? Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776255 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441202 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262489 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260680 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85017 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5450 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880215 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815261 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM