Crown

Board: Porsche - Taycan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Roadster

"Audi reveals new e-tron Vision Gran Turismo" (Autocar)

Virtual race car turned into fully functioning coupe as marketing spearhead for e-tron electric car brand and Formula E involvement

(9 April 2018)

Audi has revealed a new four-wheel drive 805bhp electric-powered supercar to be deployed as a race taxi at selected Formula E events, hinting the low slung two-door holds clues to a zero-emission flagship being considered as a performance figurehead to sit above the company’s recently confirmed four-door e-tron GT in an extended line-up of pure electric production models due out in the coming years.

Originally conceived as a virtual race car for the 15th anniversary of the Gran Turismo video game on Sony’s PlayStation 4, the e-tron Vision Gran Turismo has been turned into reality by Audi as part of a marketing campaign built around its new e-tron electric car sub-brand.

The one-off prototype, constructed at Audi’s pre-production workshop in Ingolstadt, is planned to be used to provide selected customers and guests of the German car maker with high-speed passenger rides during Formula E race weekends, starting at the Rome event in Italy on April 14.

The decision to build the electric powered supercar makes the e-tron Vision Gran Turismo the first simulated race car developed for Playstation’s Gran Turisimo to be made fully functional, according to Audi.

It also hints at possible plans by Audi to bolster its presence in the supercar ranks with a new performance-based e-tron model that, Ingolstadt insiders suggest, could complement the R8 with pure electric drive.

“With the Audi e-tron Vision Gran Turismo race taxi we are turning electric mobility into a tangible experience for our customers and guests as part of the Formula E races – in the middle of the world’s metropolises,” says Peter Mertens, head of Audi R&D, adding, “we are also expanding our gathering of valuable experience in extremely demanding conditions”.

Audi has so far confirmed three battery propelled e-tron models: the e-tron quattro, the e-tron Sportback and e-tron GT.

The e-tron quattro, a Telsa Model X-rivalling SUV, and e-tron Sportback, a high riding five-door liftback, are planned to be produced at the company’s plant in Brussels, Belgium, with the former set to go on sale during the second half of 2018.

The more exclusive e-tron GT is set to roll out from a dedicated production line being established at Audi Sport division’s showcase Bollinger Hof factory in Neckarsulm, Germany, with the first customer deliveries planned for 2020.

Backing up claims that the e-tron Vision Gran Turismo could one day see production are comments from senior Audi officials that it represents more than a mere concept.

“Although the design of a virtual vehicle allows greater freedom and the creation of concepts which are hard to implement in reality, we did not want to put a purely fictitious concept on wheels," says Audi design boss, Marc Lichte.

Lichte, who has headed the design team working on Audi’s upcoming range of all-electric e-tron models, says the e-tron Vision Gran Turismo incorporates numerous elements of a new Audi design language, including the inverted coloured keyed single-frame grille to be featured on new e-tron models.

Drawing on technology used by the ultra-low-volume R8 e-tron as well as the three upcoming e-tron production models, the e-tron Vision Gran Turismo is powered by three electric motors - one sited up front providing drive to the front wheels and two at the rear driving the individual rear wheels - each with 200kW, or 268bhp.

The electric motors used by the new supercar are based on the production unit set to be unveiled in the upcoming production version of the Audi e-tron quattro. Developed in-house at Audi parent company, Volkswagen, they are produced at its plant in Kassel, Germany.

Altogether, the three electric motors provide a combined 805bhp - sufficient, according to Audi, to provide its new 1450kg coupe with a power-to-weight ratio of 555bhp per tonne.

No official torque figure for the new Audi prototype has been revealed, though officials from Audi’s pre-production workshop have revealed to Autocar the trio of electric motors deliver more than 1000Nm, which translates to over 737 lb ft.

With a specially developed quattro four-wheel drive system providing variable drive distribution between the front and rear axles as well as the individual rear wheels, the e-tron Vision Gran Turismo is claimed to accelerate from 0 to 62mph in 2.5sec.

By comparison, the 1840kg R8 e-tron, which was revealed in definitive production guise at the 2015 Geneva motor show prior to being dropped from the line-up after an unspecified production run, boasted two electric motors acting on the rear wheels with a combined 455bhp and 678lb ft.

Audi is yet to provide details to the battery used by the e-tron Vision Gran Turismo, although Autocar has been told it shares its technology with the lithium-ion unit planned to appear in the production version of the e-tron quattro due out later this year.

Among those Audi has chosen to drive the e-tron Vision Gran Turismo on the sidelines of Formula E races is former DTM race driver Rahel Frey and Le Mans victor Dindo Capello.

Link: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/audi-reveals-new-e-tron-vision-gran-turismo

Looks amazingangel

rhino:

Looks amazingangel

The beginning... Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Boxster Coupe GTS:

"Audi reveals new e-tron Vision Gran Turismo" (Autocar)

Virtual race car turned into fully functioning coupe as marketing spearhead for e-tron electric car brand and Formula E involvement

(9 April 2018)

Audi has revealed a new four-wheel drive 805bhp electric-powered supercar to be deployed as a race taxi at selected Formula E events, hinting the low slung two-door holds clues to a zero-emission flagship being considered as a performance figurehead to sit above the company’s recently confirmed four-door e-tron GT in an extended line-up of pure electric production models due out in the coming years.

Originally conceived as a virtual race car for the 15th anniversary of the Gran Turismo video game on Sony’s PlayStation 4, the e-tron Vision Gran Turismo has been turned into reality by Audi as part of a marketing campaign built around its new e-tron electric car sub-brand.

The one-off prototype, constructed at Audi’s pre-production workshop in Ingolstadt, is planned to be used to provide selected customers and guests of the German car maker with high-speed passenger rides during Formula E race weekends, starting at the Rome event in Italy on April 14.

The decision to build the electric powered supercar makes the e-tron Vision Gran Turismo the first simulated race car developed for Playstation’s Gran Turisimo to be made fully functional, according to Audi.

It also hints at possible plans by Audi to bolster its presence in the supercar ranks with a new performance-based e-tron model that, Ingolstadt insiders suggest, could complement the R8 with pure electric drive.

“With the Audi e-tron Vision Gran Turismo race taxi we are turning electric mobility into a tangible experience for our customers and guests as part of the Formula E races – in the middle of the world’s metropolises,” says Peter Mertens, head of Audi R&D, adding, “we are also expanding our gathering of valuable experience in extremely demanding conditions”.

Audi has so far confirmed three battery propelled e-tron models: the e-tron quattro, the e-tron Sportback and e-tron GT.

The e-tron quattro, a Telsa Model X-rivalling SUV, and e-tron Sportback, a high riding five-door liftback, are planned to be produced at the company’s plant in Brussels, Belgium, with the former set to go on sale during the second half of 2018.

The more exclusive e-tron GT is set to roll out from a dedicated production line being established at Audi Sport division’s showcase Bollinger Hof factory in Neckarsulm, Germany, with the first customer deliveries planned for 2020.

Backing up claims that the e-tron Vision Gran Turismo could one day see production are comments from senior Audi officials that it represents more than a mere concept.

“Although the design of a virtual vehicle allows greater freedom and the creation of concepts which are hard to implement in reality, we did not want to put a purely fictitious concept on wheels," says Audi design boss, Marc Lichte.

Lichte, who has headed the design team working on Audi’s upcoming range of all-electric e-tron models, says the e-tron Vision Gran Turismo incorporates numerous elements of a new Audi design language, including the inverted coloured keyed single-frame grille to be featured on new e-tron models.

Drawing on technology used by the ultra-low-volume R8 e-tron as well as the three upcoming e-tron production models, the e-tron Vision Gran Turismo is powered by three electric motors - one sited up front providing drive to the front wheels and two at the rear driving the individual rear wheels - each with 200kW, or 268bhp.

The electric motors used by the new supercar are based on the production unit set to be unveiled in the upcoming production version of the Audi e-tron quattro. Developed in-house at Audi parent company, Volkswagen, they are produced at its plant in Kassel, Germany.

Altogether, the three electric motors provide a combined 805bhp - sufficient, according to Audi, to provide its new 1450kg coupe with a power-to-weight ratio of 555bhp per tonne.

No official torque figure for the new Audi prototype has been revealed, though officials from Audi’s pre-production workshop have revealed to Autocar the trio of electric motors deliver more than 1000Nm, which translates to over 737 lb ft.

With a specially developed quattro four-wheel drive system providing variable drive distribution between the front and rear axles as well as the individual rear wheels, the e-tron Vision Gran Turismo is claimed to accelerate from 0 to 62mph in 2.5sec.

By comparison, the 1840kg R8 e-tron, which was revealed in definitive production guise at the 2015 Geneva motor show prior to being dropped from the line-up after an unspecified production run, boasted two electric motors acting on the rear wheels with a combined 455bhp and 678lb ft.

Audi is yet to provide details to the battery used by the e-tron Vision Gran Turismo, although Autocar has been told it shares its technology with the lithium-ion unit planned to appear in the production version of the e-tron quattro due out later this year.

Among those Audi has chosen to drive the e-tron Vision Gran Turismo on the sidelines of Formula E races is former DTM race driver Rahel Frey and Le Mans victor Dindo Capello.

Link: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/audi-reveals-new-e-tron-vision-gran-turismo

Video Link: http://youtu.be/VeTcgLaJ_rI

Smiley

Mission E cannot and will not seal much sales from the Panamera, if at all. Different clientele aka target audience.

They have had Teslas in Weissach for comparison for the longest time. They stay inside the gate.

And Tesla's published 0-60 times? It was measured the American way with a 1 foot rollout. so from 7mph-60mph, not from 0. 

AND those amazing time can only be achieved like once a day. It is not repeatable either, if one do a back to back the 2nd time around will not be close. After 1 run the battery goes into protective mode and disable the high drain current mode. The car may have plenty of juice left but it won't do full power drain and the car won't say it's in protected mode, it do so discreetly without telling the owner. They did succeeded in making the car do maximum discharge mode for the best time by doing it once in the morning then recharge and try again in the afternoon and the protected mode is gone.

The Tesla is highly unstable after 200km/hr, and it scared even the Porsche engineers, and they are rarely scared.

Mission E will be 'night and day' better than the Model S as I was told. 

--

Whoopsy:

Mission E cannot and will not seal much sales from the Panamera, if at all. Different clientele aka target audience.

They have had Teslas in Weissach for comparison for the longest time. They stay inside the gate.

And Tesla's published 0-60 times? It was measured the American way with a 1 foot rollout. so from 7mph-60mph, not from 0. 

AND those amazing time can only be achieved like once a day. It is not repeatable either, if one do a back to back the 2nd time around will not be close. After 1 run the battery goes into protective mode and disable the high drain current mode. The car may have plenty of juice left but it won't do full power drain and the car won't say it's in protected mode, it do so discreetly without telling the owner. They did succeeded in making the car do maximum discharge mode for the best time by doing it once in the morning then recharge and try again in the afternoon and the protected mode is gone.

The Tesla is highly unstable after 200km/hr, and it scared even the Porsche engineers, and they are rarely scared.

I wouldn't call it unstable over 200 kph (drive a Shelby GT500 over 300 kph and you'll get the true feeling of unstable Smiley) but just last Saturday, i was doing slightly over 300 kph in my R8 and was thinking to myself "wow, it feels like 200 in the E63." Comparing to the E63, the Tesla is really unstable over 200 kph, the E63 feels solid and provides confidence, while the Tesla started feeling light and nervous over 200 kph (OK, maybe at around 230 kph).

Yes, in most German car magazines, the Tesla S P100D did 0-100 kph in over 3.0 seconds, never under.

Have you seen the headlines in many US publications, saying that the Challenger SRT Demon is the fastest car in the world? Ridiculous. On the dragstrip? Seriously? Who cares?! It can do wheelies? So what? My Lancia Delta HF Integrale tuned to 300 hp (incl. water injection!), could do the same...over 30 years ago...until the drive shaft bent. Smiley

The Mission E will have only one problem: The German competition isn't sleeping, if you get my drift. They just aren't that open about future projects.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Whoopsy:

I was watching this youtube video recently where a Tesla S owner did some faster drive on the Autobahn. To my surprise the system overheated quite quickly and he could only drive with moderate speed/acceleration. This would be certainly disturbing to me...

Who cares how a sedan drives after 200kph unless you are in Germany... I have never been that fast in the USA in any car... i would not spec ludicrous mode if I was buying a Tesla, it is useless.

SciFrog:

Who cares how a sedan drives after 200kph unless you are in Germany... I have never been that fast in the USA in any car... i would not spec ludicrous mode if I was buying a Tesla, it is useless.

Usually one would expect that specs are delivered when you need/want them. In this case it seems the car delivers - but only once or twice. Then the specs are all invalid. Does not make sense to me Smiley You could even question if this is in compliance with the law, right?

I've driven a P100D @ 250km/h in Germany. No problem and not more frightening than driving other sedans at that speed. Not Panamera stable, but not frightening at all. Pacing at 200km/h is perfectly fine. Tires are of course important like with any car.

Also Big difference with the 100kW battery. Many (all?) of the youtube clips with overheating etc ar either 85kW or 90kW batteries and most often with pre-facelift Model S. They are rubbish in comparison. 100-models have a completely new cooling system.

Regarding the 0-100 times.... They are for real 0-100km/h in 2,7 from stand still. I've tested and raced a few of my friends cars. And if you do it several times in a row it might slide you down to 3.2 sec to 100km/h after 10 attempts, but if you wait for 15 minutes after 10 attempts, it will be down to 2,7-2,8 to 100km/h again. But in here it seems like the car went into limp mode after one acceleration. And saying that you do one acceleration in the morning and have to re-charge and wait until the evening is just a complete lie cool

But like everything Tesla here on Rennteam, it seems to be a bit exaggerated and those who speak up have never even tested the car. Quite fun to read actually.

MKSGR:
    SciFrog:

Usually one would expect that specs are delivered when you need/want them. In this case it seems the car delivers - but only once or twice. Then the specs are all invalid. Does not make sense to me Smiley You could even question if this is in compliance with the law, right?

Speaking of another issue: Last Saturday, I was on my way to Austria, stopped at a Shell fuel station to get some fuel and buy a road sticker for Austria. They have a Supercharger station there. Saw a couple of Tesla S (only one X) and some were waiting for a Supercharger to use. All of them were occupied (one was out of service...I think), mostly cars from NL, B, DK and N. No German Tesla. So basically, three or four Tesla S were waiting for a free Supercharger. Yes, the fuel station was packed (many people were returning from their holiday, the station was servicing both directions of the Autobahn) but I got fuel, the sticker and even took a leak within ten minutes or so, had one car in front of me. The Teslas? Probably still there. Smiley Sorry, this would drive me nuts, waiting for charging my car.

--

lukestern:

Also Big difference with the 100kW battery. Many (all?) of the youtube clips with overheating etc ar either 85kW or 90kW batteries and most often with pre-facelift Model S. They are rubbish in comparison. 100-models have a completely new cooling system.

Based on the significance of the limitation imposed by overheating in this video I watched I consider it very unlikely that any Tesla will be devoid of these problems if used on the Autobahn like a regular higher-performance car Smiley I would just not risk buying a car with such serious issues.

RC:
    MKSGR:
    SciFrog:

Speaking of another issue: Last Saturday, I was on my way to Austria, stopped at a Shell fuel station to get some fuel and buy a road sticker for Austria. They have a Supercharger station there. Saw a couple of Tesla S (only one X) and some were waiting for a Supercharger to use. All of them were occupied (one was out of service...I think), mostly cars from NL, B, DK and N. No German Tesla. So basically, three or four Tesla S were waiting for a free Supercharger. Yes, the fuel station was packed (many people were returning from their holiday, the station was servicing both directions of the Autobahn) but I got fuel, the sticker and even took a leak within ten minutes or so, had one car in front of me. The Teslas? Probably still there. Smiley Sorry, this would drive me nuts, waiting for charging my car.

Isn't it great that these petrol stations offer such a nice entertainment program Smiley So easy to spend some hours there with your family Smiley

lukestern:

But like everything Tesla here on Rennteam, it seems to be a bit exaggerated and those who speak up have never even tested the car. Quite fun to read actually.

BTW, you don't need to test the car to notice the severe limitations in the video I mention Smiley

Whoopsy:

Are you a pathological liar? Why do you keep saying this?

Dragtimes has owned every Tesla and done constant runs, back to back.

Oh man, the 2nd and 3rd races were soooo much different lol. And it is in Florida!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MySxt8S2cUw

$350K and 12 cylinders worth of hurt feelings in that video...

MKSGR:
    lukestern:

Based on the significance of the limitation imposed by overheating in this video I watched I consider it very unlikely that any Tesla will be devoid of these problems if used on the Autobahn like a regular higher-performance car Smiley I would just not risk buying a car with such serious issues.

There IS a difference with the 100kWh batteries and cooling system. Why don't you link to that video instead of just writing about it? The reason why there are no videos of 100kWh overheating is because they don't do that in the same way. There is a reason why both 85 and 90 batteries are discontinued since more than a year back.

The battery never overheat. The BMS protect it from overheating and hence limits the power a bit while cooling down to lower cell temperature, but you can still pace at fairly high speeds without significant problems. You maybe don't get the full 500kW of power, instead you have 200-400kW at your disposal (depending on temperature) which is plenty enough for normal high speed driving when you maintain a certain speed. Of course it will not be a good time to try and race 200 -> 250km/h, but we all know that the Teslas are quite slow accelerating cars at higher speeds. Thats per design, with the single speed gear box. But up to 200km/h it is quick.

If you're a speed maniac that like full throttle autobahn runs all the time, the Tesla is of course the wrong vehicle. But for those who like to drive at 200km/h and below it is perfectly fine. I think this is good enough for most people.

On my trip through Germany I had no limitations by the car that I noticed. It was more the traffic that stalled me. This was last summer when I had a Tesla P100D at my disposal for a few months. I was actually amazed how smooth the trip went and I've done the same many times in different Porsches and Audis. But then I'm not fond of driving much more than 200km/h anyway and like to cruise between 160 -> 200.

Top speed for some of the coming BEV for reference. Jaguar I-Pace = 200km/h, Audi E-Tron = 210km/h, Mission E = 250km/h.

Traded 309 today... Was trading 244 last week... Have fun!

SciFrog:

Recent reversal in price not indicative of smart money moving back in to TSLA, if anything, this reenforces the exact opposite based on recent debt downgradings.   

CGX car nut:
    SciFrog:

Recent reversal in price not indicative of smart money moving back in to TSLA, if anything, this reenforces the exact opposite based on recent debt downgradings.   

I am curious. if not smart money then what? Stupid money? Aren't most of the buyers of TSLA stock funds?Smiley

--

Where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be great.

Stupid money up 30%. Interesting ;)

CGX is right, it is short covering and no sign of new smart money buying. I don’t know how the people short Tesla have done it, short interest is high, expensive to borrow and the stock has been going up forever since they were short plus the reversals are really big and fast. Glad I am not allowed to trade it angry

noone1:
    Whoopsy:

Are you a pathological liar? Why do you keep saying this?

Dragtimes has owned every Tesla and done constant runs, back to back.

Oh man, the 2nd and 3rd races were soooo much different lol. And it is in Florida!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MySxt8S2cUw

$350K and 12 cylinders worth of hurt feelings in that video...

Smiley

I got my information delivered to me from Porsche.  You just like to argue that's all there is to it.

And the video is pointless, it doesn't show it doing back to back. There was time missing which is for cool down for the Tesla.

Same with other 1/4mile drag strip runs. Have you been to a drag strip? They do one run and that go back to the line up and wait a long time for the next run.

--

lukestern:

I've driven a P100D @ 250km/h in Germany. No problem and not more frightening than driving other sedans at that speed. Not Panamera stable, but not frightening at all. Pacing at 200km/h is perfectly fine. Tires are of course important like with any car.

Regarding the 0-100 times.... They are for real 0-100km/h in 2,7 from stand still. I've tested and raced a few of my friends cars. And if you do it several times in a row it might slide you down to 3.2 sec to 100km/h after 10 attempts, but if you wait for 15 minutes after 10 attempts, it will be down to 2,7-2,8 to 100km/h again. But in here it seems like the car went into limp mode after one acceleration. And saying that you do one acceleration in the morning and have to re-charge and wait until the evening is just a complete lie cool

2.7 from actual 0 to 60mph/100km/hr is very doable. No trick needed, just launch and forget.

The record time of 2.2something (I forgot) was made using the American method of 1 ft roll out, so not actually from 0.

What exaggeration? Porsche gave me that information and they had been testing a Tesla for the longest time, so they do know a thing or two quite intimately with the car.

--

MKSGR:
    RC:
    MKSGR:
    SciFrog:

Isn't it great that these petrol stations offer such a nice entertainment program Smiley So easy to spend some hours there with your family Smiley

There is probably a reason why the "payment" for the Supercharger is made in the McDonald's near by...and not at the fuel station.  Smiley

--

Whoopsy:
    lukestern:

2.7 from actual 0 to 60mph/100km/hr is very doable. No trick needed, just launch and forget.

The record time of 2.2something (I forgot) was made using the American method of 1 ft roll out, so not actually from 0.

What exaggeration? Porsche gave me that information and they had been testing a Tesla for the longest time, so they do know a thing or two quite intimately with the car.

So Porsche would not exaggerate? Na, they have no skin in the game...Smiley

News at 11: Porsche tells diehard customer that the competition isn't as good as they claim.

noone1:

News at 11: Porsche tells diehard customer that the competition isn't as good as they claim.

6 pm news. 

The 'diehard' customer is actually one of the few that will tell them straight up in their face their car is shit. 

Something I have done many times already. In fact, I JUST said the same thing to them over lunch this afternoon about the 718. And how shitty the exhaust sound of all their current cars are, none of them are even close to my Aston.

I also gave them an ear full for postponing my GT2RS production from May to Oct. 

Let's just say if I disclose more someone will lose their job because I posted it here. They didn't send an army of personal here, only a few so it's not hard to find out who.

It's easy to be a internet cowboy saying big things on the internet, it's a completely another concept to say the same thing in someone's face. 

Next month we will be heading to Weissach, and THEY will also get an earful from me about my car. On the other hand, we will also be the first non-Porsche personal to drive something special.

--

Congrats? No one ever questioned what you would or wouldn't say to them. What does that have to do with anything?

I would have ZERO issues telling them in person simply because I wouldn’t really care who they really are and I have nothing to loose since they don’t make anything that I would buy anyway... But that’s also why I will never have the chance to tell them in their face, I just don’t care enough... I just put myself in the shoes of the trove of customers out there that they refuse to cater to because of the beans counters... They lost my business and other were happy to get it. If they don’t care about it then fine but things change and competition is heating up. Once the speculation is gone on these GT cars one way or the other, they will be the ones crying.

noone1:

Congrats? No one ever questioned what you would or wouldn't say to them. What does that have to do with anything?

As relavent as anything you posted.Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    775436 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440711 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262262 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260476 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84914 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5448 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879762 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814697 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM