Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche Leipzig factory/customer centre + driving

Sorry, it's me again, quick one, I (uhhh + family) are going to Leipzig in April to have a factory and customer centre tour as well as on/off road driving test before my MY08 CTT arrives at my doorstep. Has anyone done the aforementioned, any comments, suggestions or brilliant ideas?

One thing I was't anticipating on is that my 4 year old is not allowed for the factory tour or test drive. Wifie is as keen to see the Porsche factory as well as the test drive, what should I do???? (little bit in a dilemma here)

Cheers,

Mark

Re: Porsche Leipzig factory/customer centre + driving

I've visited the Porsche Werk Leipzig myself last summer, with my girlfriend. We are not (yet) Porsche owners.

We booked a night in The Westin Leipzig, which was just fabulous. Very kind people and very good service. They mistakenly gave away our normal room, so we got a big suite instead (for the price of the room we've booked). So their mistake was quickly forgiven and forgotten They have a good pool and nice restaurants. On top of the hotel is a restaurant awarded with a Michelin star. The bar of that restaurant is a must since it gives a spectaculair view over the city of Leipzig.

The city of Leipzig is a nice city, and we had some incredible weather that weekend. It's nice to walk around and do some sightseeing. We stumbled upon a fantastic choir in one of the curches there. And we've found a good restaurant that night to.. In conclusion: the city is enjoyable, but not worth a city trip as such. IMHO you can not compare it to London or Paris.

The Porsche Leipzig Centre was an amazing experience. We've booked the Co-Pilot program, which includes a factory tour, a tour in their museum, and 3 very hot laps in a 911 on their circuit.

First of all, people there are passionate about cars, and it shows, they are incredibly friendly (even if they have to work on Sunday). Due to lack of time, my girlfriend and I went during the weekend. We have visited the factory on a Sunday, and therefor there was no activity (we knew that). It was nice to see how clean the plant is, but that's just about it. The chassis comes in painted, together with some big chunks already in place, from an other factory that also produces the chassis for the Touareg. The only thing that happens there is putting some more stuff in and attaching it with some screws. I'm more interested in the bigger work, like painting etc... So for me, not seeing that would not be a terrible loss.

The museum tour was very nice, and they have some milestone cars in their, definetely worthwile.

Like I said, I did the Co-Pilot program in a 911. I have no experience with the Cayenne program. But after my experience with Leipzig, I'm confident that it will be good

My suggestion: altough I'm not a Porsche owner, I had the rare occasion to drive a 911 myself, and I've been in the passenger seat many times. The drivers that were driving are good. Once I did a tour with a 997 whilst the salesman was driving. He drove it to the limit, with a little sideways action. But I had never been on a track. So if you have never been on a track with a sports car, whilst a professional driver is driving, consider to do that whilst your there. (i.e. the Porsche Co-pilot program)

If you have questions, don't hesitate!

Enjoy your trip

PS: when it comes to your little child, contact Porsche Leipzig. For instance, during my 3 hot laps, there was only one passenger at a time. If this is the same with the Cayenne, you can go first whilst your wife waits with your son and vice versa

Re: Porsche Leipzig factory/customer centre + driving

Thank you so much for your comments and suggestions. As you suggested we are going for the factory tour, customer centre, lunch and in the afternoon 45min onroad and 45min offroad driving (Co-pilot as well as piloting the Cayenne turbo ourselves).

Porsche Leipzig customer services is very helpful but unfortunately as you suggested there is not day care and it is probably the best to take turns with our 4 year old.

I have been several times as a passenger in a 911 (GT3 & turbo) as I am involved with our Porsche club, what a power. I am thinking about doing the Co-pilot and pilot as well however Leipzig is struggling to make it available around the time of our tour (couple of days either way is not a problem, ealy April versus end of April is a problem.

Porsche Leipzig was recommending the Fürstenhof Hotel in Leipig to stay (maybe I can treat wifie with spa treatments etc) any experiences with this Hotel/resort?

Re: Porsche Leipzig factory/customer centre + driv

I have a CTT on order for April production, May delivery and am considering the euro delivery option. I did the Stuttgart delivery for my 997Gt3 last year, and am excited about the possibility of being on the Weissach track

Quote:
    eclou said:
    May delivery and am considering the euro delivery option.quote]

I have March production and April, early May delivery. What do you mean with the euro delivery option

Cheers,

Mark

Euro delivery for us means picking up the car in Leipzig and driving thru Europe while on vacation. Then you turn the car back in and they ship it to your home dealership. I had a wonderful experience last year driving my new GT3 thru Germany, Switzerland, French Riviera.

Quote:
    eclou said:
    Euro delivery for us means picking up the car in Leipzig and driving thru Europe while on vacation. Then you turn the car back in and they ship it to your home dealership. I had a wonderful experience last year driving my new GT3 thru Germany, Switzerland, French Riviera.

Aha, this would be really nice as I am Dutch and would love to drive across to Holland and spend some time with my parents and friends. Any thought on the cost of the Euro option as my Cayenne Turbo in Rials (Oman currency) is almost half of the cost of the CTT in Germany. Would be really great if this is possible so I am very very very interested in the anwer.

CHeers,

Mark

Mark,

your salesman could easily set this up for you as it is common practice. When I picked up my 997Gt3 others from England, France, Hong Kong, and Turkey were all there doing the same thing. While most european manufacturers offer additional discounts for euro delivery, Porsche charges a fee - for the US market it is about $2000.

Quote:
    eclou said:
    Mark,

your salesman could easily set this up......

I asked our dealer but he was unclear about it (apart from saying that it was not possible). I will definitely pursue this as this would be the best present ever. We are going to Leipzig anyway so what is better to fine tune our trip with the time my CTT is finished so I can take delivery, drive around Europe and drop it off again in Leizig for the boat to the Middle East .

Thank you for your comments.

Regards.

Mark

Mark try to arrange a drive in the Leipzig factory circuit or the off-road track. This is available to groups but maybe they can fit you in with group. We did this in May 07 with some Porsche Clubs and it was very enjoyable, in spite of or maybe because it was raining heavily on the day.

I have currently an option on factory/customer centre tour, lunch at the Porsche restaurant, followed by a Co-pilot and pilot session of 45min each on the track and offroad area with a CTT. Porsche customer services are very helpful and told me that it is organized for me only (no groups involved). Maybe I am lucky.

Cheers,

Mark

Quote:
    Markdsv said:
    I have currently an option on factory/customer centre tour, lunch at the Porsche restaurant, followed by a Co-pilot and pilot session of 45min each on the track and offroad area with a CTT. Porsche customer services are very helpful and told me that it is organized for me only (no groups involved). Maybe I am lucky.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark enjoy!!

'Euro delivery' NO option for cars to Middle East

Dear All,

Referring to my post in which I am asking forum members for experiences about the 'Euro delivery' option for cars bought in countries other then Germany.

The 'Euro Delivery' option is that cars bought outside Germany can be collected at the Porsche Factory in Stuttgart or Leipzig, driven for a certain amount of time in Europe where after the car is returned back at the Porsche factory and is subsequently shipped to your local Porsche dealer in your home country (for countries outside Europe)

This morning I have spoken to a very helpful lady from the Porsche Middle East head office in Dubai. She knew exactly where I was after but had to disappoint me.

Unfortunately Porsche Middle East doesn't have an 'Euro Delivery' option/agreement with Porsche in Stuttgart or Leipzig. If I want to collect the car in Germany I have to pay 19% tax/vat as well as a factory collection and administration fee. The costs to pick up my Cayenne Turbo will be in the tens of thousand of Euros. Also as soon as I have taken delivery of my CTT, it will be my responsibility/cost to ship the car to Oman.

The 19% Tax/VAT is refundable upon importing the car however the lady mentioned that it could take half a year to get the money refunded back in to your account.

According to Porsche Middle East my local Porsche dealer is only responsible to arrange the temporarily registration and insurance for the car in Germany, obviously the costs are for the client.

So my dream is shattered but I am very pleased with the forum to help me finding out as well as Porsche in the Middle East to be very clear what is possible and what is not .

Obviously I am not going to pick up my car however are looking forward to do the Factory and customer centre tour, lunch in Porsche restaurant and do the Co-pilot/pilot driving experience in a CTT on and off road.

Thank you for your replies .

Best regards,

Mark

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762898 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435609 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260638 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257658 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80974 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5322 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872512 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807923 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM