Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Ferrari model plans/reconsider Porsche

It is becoming apparent that Ferrari will be going with a front engine entry level Ferrari the 149. Rumors are they will build 8000 per year or more. The car is expected later this year.

The 142/430 replacement is expected a year later and will be produced in lower volumes than the present 430 and about 20% more in cost.

Because many believe the 142 will be a technological marvel/state of art performance car the demand will be great. There is talk that the 142 will be sold only to the best of Ferrari customers with names processed in Maranello. (personally I suspect the dealer will sell the car to the highest bidders which means that the ultra rich with no long term relationship will win).

Also, by the time the car is delivered in the US, it will be late 2010 especially if it is a Spider. Assuming I qualify, that leaves me with a four/five year old car unless I try something else.

I do not understand Ferrari's strategy. The mid-engine car saved the marque and now they want to foist a front engine car on us and reduce the volume of the mid-engine?

I suppose we all will know by September of this year if not sooner as to whether this is the direction Ferrari is taking. If so, then I will definitely give Porsche another look. I just don't know which model I would consider. If they had a junior version of the CGT, I would be all over it. I can only dream.

Re: Ferrari model plans/reconsider Porsche

The closest thing I can think of to a "junior CGT" would be the upcoming targa -top version of the "V10" mid engined Audi R8, because Porsche doesn't seem to want to build a car like that due to hurting 911 Turbo and GT2 sales. But you'd better place that order now.

Nick,

I hear your concerns on Ferrari's possible future plans.. doesn't sound good because only the richest will be able to afford it, which does not mean only the most enthusiastic car nuts...

Would you consider the next Gallardo maybe?? I think that would be a good option.

Welcome back, Nick.

Quote:
    nberry said:If so, then I will definitely give Porsche another look.

I never thought I would hear these words.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    I do not understand Ferrari's strategy. The mid-engine car saved the marque and now they want to foist a front engine car on us and reduce the volume of the mid-engine?

Personally, I like their new strategy quite a lot: a high-performance (more expensive) racer F142 for those who are very peformance oriented and a GT like cruiser (convertible!) for those who buy a Ferrari just to enjoy looks, sound and the reputation of the brand.

Just imagine a F142 with 530-550hp, 100-150kg lighter than current F430, latest F1 gear-box, latest TC, latest suspension technology, latest tire technology. This car will deliver excellent performance combined with race feel. I really look forward to this car!

P.S.: Why don't you order the F149? For most US buyers this car should be just perfect (unless you visit the track on a regular basis)

Ferrari's new strategy doesn't bother me at all...

... as long as I get one of these F430-successors.

Quote:
    Rossi said:

I am sure you will What slot have you got?

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Rossi said:

I am sure you will What slot have you got?

According to my dealer one of the first...

... whatever that means.

If true, look at all the sales Porsche is losing because they don't have a 928 successor in the showroom. 8000 of these plus how many AM V8's are produced every year plus bmw M6 etc.

Porsche should wake up, who is going to buy the panamera?

sounds to me like those fortunate enough to own a CS or the coming Scuderia should hold on to them!

The situation is different in Europe compared to the US.

In the US, if the 142 is as good as many believe, dealers will be hard press to sell at MSRP regardless of Ferrari policies. Also, if production is going to be less than 430 only the very few Ferrari owners (i.e. many who have purchased 30-40 Ferrari's) will be able to buy one. This does not bode well for people like myself who have been in the Ferrari stable for almost ten years.

I am not a front engine guy. I turned down a slot for the 599. Also, I do not like a car forced on me especially one I do not want (149). If I cannot get the 430 replacement, I will not remain with Ferrari.

The gallardo is an option. I have always like the reliability and performance of Porsche. From a value standpoint a great car. But (and please no flames) I do not run with the herd. Either I am out front or I do not participate. Porsche can produce a car that is stylish, sexy and great performing. The CGT is that car albeit in my view dangerous to drive. Give me something along the same lines of the CGT with appropriate safety devices for the power of the car and I will buy it.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Give me something along the same lines of the CGT with appropriate safety devices for the power of the car and I will buy it.

What about the Zonda? There will be a new model soon. Even the old version is growing on me more and more...

I hope I will get my 430scud this year because from what I read here that will be a car to keep.

As Nick says, I am also not a front engine type of guy so the 430 replacement must be unbelivable good to make me pay 20% more from Scuderia.

For a weekend car a white GT3 is more than enough in the end...

Quote:
    Pentium said:
    I hope I will get my 430scud this year because from what I read here that will be a car to keep.

As Nick says, I am also not a front engine type of guy so the 430 replacement must be unbelivable good to make me pay 20% more from Scuderia.

For a weekend car a white GT3 is more than enough in the end...

The 20% refers to the F430 not the Scuderia... Compared to the Scuderia I would expect the F149 to be a real bergain. Better performance for lower or similar price... Having said that, the car will only be available as per end of 2009 / beginning of 2010. Until then, the Scuderia remains the top-performing mid-engine Ferrari

Thanks. I hope to sell my 430 fast so I can upgrade to Scud this year. Funny, I may end up not driving my 430 at all

Quote:
    nberry said:
    .. The CGT is that car albeit in my view dangerous to drive..

Nick!! Stop it with this "dangerous to drive" nonesense!!! I have almost 30k KM on my car and I yet to see your point!!

Nick,

Perhaps the 997-based GT1 will be a mid-engined 911 ala its predecessor-probably out by 2010.

Al

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Nick,

Perhaps the 997-based GT1 will be a mid-engined 911 ala its predecessor-probably out by 2010.

Al

You mean this? I could see Nick driving around La Jolla in this bad boy, especially with that boy racer wing.

Front engine GT eh?

Will they be able to beat Aston's price?

Quote:
    ha said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

Nick!! Stop it with this "dangerous to drive" nonesense!!! I have almost 30k KM on my car and I yet to see your point!!

The car might be less dangerous if driven in the desert only... In other countries (with rain etc. and different road conditions) the lack of ESP indeed does make the CGT a dangerous car... Actually, the lack of latest electronics has been a major reason for me not to buy this car yet

Quote:
    Turbo Al said:
    Nick,

Al

Wouldn't that be something? I'll bet they could not produce enough of them.

Hisham, I love the CGT. But I also recognize its drawback at least for me. As MSKR stated, had they had electronic stability in the car it would be sitting in my garage. Your streets may be better suited for the car.

I beg to differ with both of you guys. In this part of the world we are constantly driving on a very very fine layer of sand and dust which makes the roads slippery at best. When it rains (although rarely) driving a normal 4dr saloon becomes twice as bad and extremely tricky. The almost total absent of road law enforcement coupled with the lack of decent driving skills by the majority of drivers makes driving in the middle east an adventure of its own.

You guys also seem to forget that most supercars until recently were not equipped with any driver's aid devices, not even ABS! Maybe you guys are just to young to remember.

There's no question that F are raising the bar and will shake some people out. Fortunately it's a competitive environment with a lot of good stuff out there. It's too early to tell if the 430 replacement will be another "must have."

And what about this?:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080113.015/ferrari-430-spider-bio-fuel-concept-in-detroit

Is the factory in its current set up able to handle 8,000 more cars a year or will some of that product be sent to Maserati's factory? I wonder too if the bulk of that 8,000 will go to China, India and other newly developed markets, leaving maybe 1000-1500 or so for the USA, making it still exclusive here in the States.

Quote:
    ha said:
    I beg to differ with both of you guys. In this part of the world we are constantly driving on a very very fine layer of sand and dust which makes the roads slippery at best.

Didn't think of it that way before. Interesting... So basically, your country would be ideal for Porsche driving school's drift training

Even Hyundai could see their cars drift on our roads.

Quote:
    ha said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

You really have to put this in perspective! If you want to drive the CGT's 612 hp around california, you better have psm or something, otherwise you have to be carefull!! And that's nothing you want to do when driving a car like that..

I think the V10 R8 would be awesome, but with those turbo problems I think it won't appear!
    And is there a new Gallardo on it's way?
    Porsche probably won't release any models in the near future that will not have the 911 shape! The new 928 probably will be the first one.. (when??)

Good luck, but I think the next F430 will most likely be your successor!

Quote:
    Flyer.. said:
    Quote:
    ha said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:

You really have to put this in perspective! If you want to drive the CGT's 612 hp around california, you better have psm or something, otherwise you have to be carefull!! And that's nothing you want to do when driving a car like that..

I think the V10 R8 would be awesome, but with those turbo problems I think it won't appear!
    And is there a new Gallardo on it's way?
    Porsche probably won't release any models in the near future that will not have the 911 shape! The new 928 probably will be the first one.. (when??)

Good luck, but I think the next F430 will most likely be your successor!

The V10 R8 is going to be naturally aspirated not turbo charged.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688496 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408685 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255520 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234765 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65384 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857555 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773336 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM