Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: HOT: Pictures of 997 Facelift!!!!

I seriously doubt Porsche would put more power into the 997. Most changes will be cosmetic. If they added 25hp to the Carrera S now, what would they have left for the 998?

Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    I seriously doubt Porsche would put more power into the 997. Most changes will be cosmetic. If they added 25hp to the Carrera S now, what would they have left for the 998?

There definitely will be a power increase, perhaps not a big one. But competitor get also stronger with every facelift/model change and when Porsche will introduce the DI-engines in the 997, power will go up. Just take a look at what happened at the Cayenne with the DI-engines.

Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:

My hopes are that they are focusing on the weight. So if the 998 will have the same hp figures as the 997mk2, but at least 100kg less weight, this would be the right way to go.

but took away 100kg from the car is much more expensive than just adding 20hp so i dont think Porsche gonna do that in the future.

Thanks for the replies guys, ive decided to stick to my C2S thats arriving in a few days.

Had a look at the MK2 waiting list over here, and worked out I would be getting it in December as an earliest date if i decided to jump in.. so 12 months is a no no for me.

Also, my salesman showed me an email sent to him from Porsche in Germany, claiming that production of the 09 carrera/s models will commence in september 08. Dunno if thats specifically to the middle-east market or worldwide though.

Quote:
    Turbo4ever said:
    but took away 100kg from the car is much more expensive than just adding 20hp so i dont think Porsche gonna do that in the future.

They've already done it and it reduced costs, the car is lighter, more agile and has a properly placed engine, I love my 987S!

I just found this old Evo article from 2003 talking about the first 997's. Seems that the facelift items are long overdue!:
    http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/39468/911_revamp_on_the_way.html

Quote:
    Flagg said:
    Hello guys.

First of all id like to say im a new member here, and am really impressed by the level of interest and knowledge of the members here, it really does seem like a great forum to be at. Big kudos to you guys.

Now my story is, basically, im a hp freak. Initially I had a down payment for the new e92 M3, but over the past 2 months ive 'seen the light' and have since then changed over to the 911 side of things.. and my brand new 997 C2S is due to arrive on the 2nd of January 08.

Since I havent been that well informed about Porsche's before I put the down payment for the C2S, I did not know about the upcoming MKII and what goodies it would bring with it. I am now facing the difficult choice of accepting my new C2S (white ext, red int), which is fully packed, including adaptive sport seats, chrono package, aero kit, etc etc, and im also planning to fit the x51 powerkit onto it within the first 2 months... or if I should wait for the '09 997, which will most probably arrive in september-ish earliest in the UAE.

The only thing that would make me wait for the MK2, would be the supposed DSG tranny and, more importantly, the hp boost. However, these things are, as they stand atm, very uncertain afaik. Ofc, the design changes, I think, look really nice too, but for me, that wouldnt be enough to wait an extra 8 months.

Ive been reading several sites, and reports vary from "no planned hp bumps or engine output changes" to a whopping "+40 bhp on 997S models". Here is just a few examples:

Car and Driver mag, no hp bumps.
    http://www.caranddriver.com/carnews/12430/spied-2009-porsche-911-carrera-s.html

Motor Authority, 5-25 hp bumps.
    http://www.motorauthority.com/cars/porsche/details-on-porsches-2008-911-update/

Axis of Oversteer, +25 hp.
    http://axisofoversteer.blogspot.com/2007/11/die-luddites-die-997-mkii-with-dsg.html

World Car Fans, no engine changes.
    http://www.worldcarfans.com/6070226.004/spy-photos-more-porsche-911-facelift

So basically, what I really want to know is, will the hp bumps DEFINITELY be there? As in, without any shadow of doubt? or is it very possible that the same engine output is maintained until the 998 model is out?

Sorry if this has already been answered, I have read through a lot of this topic but did not get a chance to go through the entire 53 pages. Thanks in advance peeps

edit: Oh and forgot to mention, as usual, the dealerships here give the very usual "we have heard nothing" when questioned about the upcoming model.

THERE WILL BE A HP INCREASE!!!!!

i suspect not a big one though.. 15 HP or so.

Quote:
    So basically, what I really want to know is, will the hp bumps DEFINITELY be there? As in, without any shadow of doubt? or is it very possible that the same engine output is maintained until the 998 model is out?

It would make no sense for Porsche to make body changes and not increase the power of the car. That would likely encourage existing owners to stick with what they have rather than buy the new car. If Porsche don't make hp changes they have just lost about 20% of their sales for the new car. Not smart!

I somehow suspect that the revised engines in the facelift cars will be more about improved gas-mileage rather than increased horsepower and any increase in BHP will probably be nominal.

the Cayenne got it's power bumped up and I'm highly confident that the 911 has the same fate. Just look at the amount of time Porsche had been testing these face lifted 911s and Boxsters on the road. You don't invest that much time and money just to test some fancy LED tail lights.

Quote:
    KenH said:
    I somehow suspect that the revised engines in the facelift cars will be more about improved gas-mileage rather than increased horsepower and any increase in BHP will probably be nominal.

so whats the explanation for the cayenne power increase

what I heard today was "Geneva, engine/gearbox/front/rear enhancements"... you figure it out...

Quote:
    Marwan Arakji said:
    what I heard today was "Geneva, engine/gearbox/front/rear enhancements"... you figure it out...

That would mean COMPLETE facelift already in spring and not only after the factory holidays...

Quote:
    Turbo4ever said:

That's true. To make matters worse, 20hp is better marketing than 100kg weigh loss. Personally I would rather have 100kg less weight than 50 more hp with more added weight. Porsche should offer a 'weight reduction kit' along with a 'power kit' for people like me. Problem is hp gives more bragging rights than weight loss so I think there's less of a market for a 'weight reduction kit'

David

Which is in line to the Cayenne Facelifts which came in March, too!

Only difference being thaT porsche did not have a 2007 cayenne (in the USA) So they had to bring the new car out early

Hello.

I'm a new member and want to start off with that I'm very impressed with this forum. Reading all of the post has solidified my desire buy a Porsche. It has also made it very difficult to decide on what model to get and if I should wait for the facelift. So I'm turning to you to help me make my decision

The first question is about tracking and getting a C2S vs C4S. Is it possible and\or enjoyable to track a C4S? I had decided on the C4S cab (really like having the top down) but the dealer is telling that most people that track go with the C2. I'm not sure if he is pulling my leg because C4S's build slots are so hard to come by or if he's being honest and I will end up regretting it later. As far as I can tell it appears to be more about preference rather then capabilities and the possibility that the 4 would be more expensive to track due to the added wear of its components. Since I live in Seattle and new to tracking, I'm weighing tracking benefits (that I may not even be able to take full advantage of due newness) vs. the year round usability benefits of the 4 in our climate.

Second question is directly related to this post and the most common. Do I wait for "THE" facelift, buy a discounted 07 or get a custom Feb to March build? I'm VERY tempted to wait but the original post were saying it would arrive 1st half of 07 so I don't want to find myself perpetually waiting. I would like the car to enjoy the northwest spring and summer months so if a Geneva show announcement would mean spring time delivery it would make this so much easier. All that being said, the things that most interest me about the updates are the PCM updates, DFI and to be completely honest, I don't want to buy a car that will be outdated in 2 - 6 months either ... I ran into this with my M Roadster and it stunk for performance and resale reasons.

The third question is about interior options. Has anyone seen the aluminum look or Atlas gray finishes in person? Of course this is a pointless question if I go with the 07. As I write this, I must sound really vane but I just thought it would be fun to entertain these options.

Last question is about adaptive seats. Are they really worth it? If so, if I go with the 07, it has sports seats and I'm wondering what it takes to replace them with adaptive later? Dealer says it would be really expensive due to the labor involved but I'm still wondering if he's really just trying to get me in the more expensive customer build option.

Many thanks

Hi there,

appreciate your post - I am having currently a very similar thought - switching my Cayman S to a 997 S or C4S... dealer tell's me that they have build slots till April timeframe with June/July delivery - so I would expect that the facelifted version will only be presented around the Summer or IAA timeframe - would expect that porsche will have this out and on their website before the IAA is starting with the new models being built after the summer holiday's....

So now come the big question - better wait and buy a more expensive 2009 (I am pretty sure that they will adjust US pricing given the Euro strenght) or buy now an 2007 (very little choice) or a 2008 model (at a decent discount)...

I am currently leaning toward buying a new 2008 C4S (white/black)... but still need to get the best deal negotiated...

If you are looking for a car that is good on the track and you can afford a 997C4S, I would strongly advise you to buy a GT3 (996, 997, or RS version).

Quote:
    Seattle911C4S said:
    Hello.

I'm a new member and want to start off with that I'm very impressed with this forum. Reading all of the post has solidified my desire buy a Porsche. It has also made it very difficult to decide on what model to get and if I should wait for the facelift. So I'm turning to you to help me make my decision

The first question is about tracking and getting a C2S vs C4S. Is it possible and\or enjoyable to track a C4S? I had decided on the C4S cab (really like having the top down) but the dealer is telling that most people that track go with the C2. I'm not sure if he is pulling my leg because C4S's build slots are so hard to come by or if he's being honest and I will end up regretting it later. As far as I can tell it appears to be more about preference rather then capabilities and the possibility that the 4 would be more expensive to track due to the added wear of its components. Since I live in Seattle and new to tracking, I'm weighing tracking benefits (that I may not even be able to take full advantage of due newness) vs. the year round usability benefits of the 4 in our climate.

Second question is directly related to this post and the most common. Do I wait for "THE" facelift, buy a discounted 07 or get a custom Feb to March build? I'm VERY tempted to wait but the original post were saying it would arrive 1st half of 07 so I don't want to find myself perpetually waiting. I would like the car to enjoy the northwest spring and summer months so if a Geneva show announcement would mean spring time delivery it would make this so much easier. All that being said, the things that most interest me about the updates are the PCM updates, DFI and to be completely honest, I don't want to buy a car that will be outdated in 2 - 6 months either ... I ran into this with my M Roadster and it stunk for performance and resale reasons.

The third question is about interior options. Has anyone seen the aluminum look or Atlas gray finishes in person? Of course this is a pointless question if I go with the 07. As I write this, I must sound really vane but I just thought it would be fun to entertain these options.

Last question is about adaptive seats. Are they really worth it? If so, if I go with the 07, it has sports seats and I'm wondering what it takes to replace them with adaptive later? Dealer says it would be really expensive due to the labor involved but I'm still wondering if he's really just trying to get me in the more expensive customer build option.

Many thanks

welcome to rennteam...
    don't get too much into the tracking thing...they all track good. a normal driver will not feel the difference between a c2s and a c4s. the convertible is a bit softer, but even this is neglible for a fun track day. you might even want to track with the top down.

as for hardcore tracking, i.e. racing you really only have two options gt3 or gt3rs. but as i conclude from your post, you will be fine with either of the standard cars.

definitely go with adaptive seats. i had normal seats in my c2s and now have adaptives in my turbo....worlds apart. forget installing them afterwards...cost is not justified and makes no sense. either you have them or you don't.

if i were you, i would buy a used one now and spec a facelift model to your taste. i did that when the 997 was about to come out.
    bought a 996 turbo in march and sold it when i was about to receive ma intro 997c2s when it was released to the market in september.

Quote:
    luwalira said:
    the Cayenne got it's power bumped up and I'm highly confident that the 911 has the same fate. Just look at the amount of time Porsche had been testing these face lifted 911s and Boxsters on the road. You don't invest that much time and money just to test some fancy LED tail lights.

Cayenne got an engine capacity increase too(4.5 to 4.8). Is this possible though with the current flat 6 engines?

Quote:
    intouch1 said:they all track good. a normal driver will not feel the difference between a c2s and a c4s. the convertible is a bit softer, but even this is neglible for a fun track day. you might even want to track with the top down.

I totally disagree with this. The difference between AWD and RWD is very noticable on a track (I like RWD better) and I think it's MUCH safer to drive on the track with a coupe. In fact, some tracks will not even let you run with a convertible...

Quote:
    Seattle911C4S said:
    Hello.

Many thanks

As a track novice you might be even faster in a C4S compared to a C2S. With growing experience I would expect that (i) you will be a bit faster in the C2S and (ii) you will probably have a bit more fun in the C2S (more agile...).

In terms of daily-driver qualities I understand that you have a certain preference for the AWD version. I assume you have some wet and maybe winter driving conditions from time to time. If this assumption is correct I would indeed advice to take the C4S rather than the C2S

However, if you should not intend to use the car on snow/wet roads too often I would rather go for the C2S (and add the x51 kit ). The C2S with x51 is a very nice car also for track use.

The GT3 mentioned above does have a substantial disadvantage for a daily-driver: no ESP

Regarding the FL: if I were in the process of ordering a 997/997s I would definitively wait for the FL. Changes will be quite comprehensive. I would not buy such an expensive car just to suffer for 2-3 years each time I see a FL model

P.S.: "Aluminium look" has a rather cheap appearance. If I were you I would rather go for full leather or CF (if you like CF in a car).

The questions really only relevant to Facelift for time & money.
    2009 will have most, if not all, models avail. now in 2007 or 8.
    Also.....should define 'tracking'.....are we talking autocrossing, roadracing, or dragracing (a bit of humor).

If this is your 1st Pcar (and we don't know if you are coming from Bimmers or Fords) and you've never tracked any car before.....well the Pcar (of any model) will be a hoot just going to get groceries (to day nothing of your 1st track event).
    You do not need a GT3RS as your first Pcar that you will use on your 1st track event.......plenty to learn and have fun in, Boxster on up.
    Per the Cab and digging into local requirements (for tracking).....check with your local SC club or PCA Region.....many already have their 08 track regs set and posted......they are all over the ballpark. I'm a member of 6 car clubs......in one the Road Racing DE regs for black group require full cage. For autocross all you need is a helmut.
    Enjoy shopping for your car......and best of luck to ya.

Thanks for all of the input. It was very helpful.

One last question Can anyone provide input on what type of price discount I should be asking for on the 07? If I can get the right price, then that is what direction I'm heading in.

Important info on the car: It has 200 miles on it and only has three years of warranty left on it (demo so they had to mark it as sold in jan 07.

I'm thinking that around 10%/11K is inline at a minimum given the loss of one years warranty (never mind that I'll be trading it in next year), last years model, FL coming out and that it was used as a demo. It also happens to be the average 1st year depreciation rate around here.

If his first prediction of only 3k off is all I get, then I'm going to a similarly equipped 08 that is only 5k more. Figure that I would be loosing less due the newer model year and the additional warranty.

Answering a couple of questions: Coming from a 2000 BMW M Roadster (had to get rid of it a few years ago when the babies started coming). Tracking type will be autocross. The local tracks currently allows cabs but top and helmet are required.

I originally was going to get a Boxster S but waiting for its FL got me frustrated so I decided to go try the 911. Wish I would have done that first as I like it soooo much better and would have bought one last summer.

Many thanks.

Some pics of the new 997 facelift with the paddles??

Thanks..

15 - 18 % off MSRP is what you should pay for that car. ( assuming you are in the USA )

997 with paddles pics. do not existt, to the best of my knowledge...

Quote:
    Marwan Arakji said:
    997 with paddles pics. do not existt, to the best of my knowledge...

Tips style no paddles like Ferrari or Lambo.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781838 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442824 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263480 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261878 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85969 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5996 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881646 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    819590 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM