Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

The first Bath/Arrival

This is a large file. First time posting pictures guys, sorry if its the wrong way. Please have a look at my new Turbo Cab. I was very impreesed with the detailing that david fermani provided. Thanks all.

http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/1011...protection.html

Re: The first Bath/Arrival

I don't think I could order it, but I love the orange!

Niiiiice. I'm glad you drive that color in FL.

Not sure about all that work on the paint. Unless it's a concours competition why take a machine (?) and a clay bar to brand new factory paint? Just asking. Kinda "ages" the paint doesn't it?

Nice work on the detailing project.

Any thoughts on mods? Dropping the car an inch or so, and getting the black GT3RS wheels would look good!

Holy crap! Now that's what I call a special TT! That color is definitely going to stand out! Congratulations Rick!

congrats...great color...great detailing job....now comes the real fun of driving & getting it dirty

Brave colour pick ,dude , but you got what you deserved - an awesome looking turbo..A big Congrats...

As for the cleaner, David ,,,,,,,, HOLY SHEET ,, he sure knows his onions , wish we had someone hear like that that I could use , looks trustworthy to say the least..

brave color!

Quote:
    MMD said:
    Niiiiice. I'm glad you drive that color in FL.

Not sure about all that work on the paint. Unless it's a concours competition why take a machine (?) and a clay bar to brand new factory paint? Just asking. Kinda "ages" the paint doesn't it?

Not at all. To detail a car properly you first need a good surface to work with. I insisted my dealer not touch my car and clayed and polished (with a porter cable). You'd be amazed at all the crap the clay took off.

If the dealer did prep the car, you'll still want to do this - to correct all the flaws that they put into the paint.

Quote:
    chrisNY said:

If the dealer did prep the car, you'll still want to do this - to correct all the flaws that they put into the paint.

Correct the flaws in the paint? I assume you know how thin the clear coat is?

I always thought when a car is fresh off the line you absolutely were NOT supposed to detail it?

I thought you were supposed to wait at least a full 2 months for the paint to properly cure and settle?

I think I've heard rather consistently that our German paints, are softer because they're water-based, and also do not need any significant amount of curing time.

Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:
    Quote:
    chrisNY said:

Yes, flaws in the paint. Go look at some black or dark color cars that your local dealer has "detailed" and you'll see the flaws in the paint. We're talking clay bar not 400 grit sandpaper.

Yes, gotta say I noticed some flaws too (checking out brand new car when I just got it home). Would be nice to fix them if I knew what I was doing; instead I just forget about them since they're not on hood, roof or engine lid.

Love the colour and the interior too. You've created a special and unique TT, congrats!

Quote:
    chrisNY said:
    Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:
    Quote:
    chrisNY said:

Yes, flaws in the paint. Go look at some black or dark color cars that your local dealer has "detailed" and you'll see the flaws in the paint. We're talking clay bar not 400 grit sandpaper.

My local dealer detail guy is superb at what he does. I examined many examples of his work and asked him plenty of questions before letting him do the initial detailing on my new 996 Turbo.

Of course it's easy to introduce fine scratches and swirls in the clear coat if someone doesn't know what they're doing. It's also very easy to work through the clear coat trying to fix these issues if you don't know what you're doing. At a minimum, fixing swirls/fine scratches does reduce the clear coat thickness. And the the clear coat on these cars is VERY thin.

Quote:
    Rickless said:
    This is a large file. First time posting pictures guys, sorry if its the wrong way. Please have a look at my new Turbo Cab. I was very impreesed with the detailing that david fermani provided. Thanks all.

http://autopia.org/forum/click-brag/1011...protection.html

Very nice, thanks for posting

One question: does this car have the "Loudspeakers in leather" option? I had some problems in finding pictures of this option recently. Now it seems that you ordered it

Markus, there is a picture in Gregg's (STRADALE) Turbo Cab thread. Nice and big, at that .

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Markus, there is a picture in Gregg's (STRADALE) Turbo Cab thread. Nice and big, at that .

Thanks

Yes. CVT, door and rear speakers in leather. You also have to order 09991, which is "all exclusive options stitching in deviated color", if you want the stitching.

Many thanks

Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:
    Quote:
    chrisNY said:
    Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:
    Quote:
    chrisNY said:

My local dealer detail guy is superb at what he does. I examined many examples of his work and asked him plenty of questions before letting him do the initial detailing on my new 996 Turbo.

Of course it's easy to introduce fine scratches and swirls in the clear coat if someone doesn't know what they're doing. It's also very easy to work through the clear coat trying to fix these issues if you don't know what you're doing. At a minimum, fixing swirls/fine scratches does reduce the clear coat thickness. And the the clear coat on these cars is VERY thin.

I'm glad your dealer does good work - they might be the only one.

Using a clay bar once or twice a year and polishing with a PC will not damage your clearcoat. The PC simply does not generate enough heat to do any harm. A rotary, yes, and you better know what you are doing. The only way a PC can hurt your paint is if you drop the thing on the car.

Quote:
    chrisNY said:
    Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:
    Quote:
    chrisNY said:
    Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:
    Quote:
    chrisNY said:

I'm glad your dealer does good work - they might be the only one.

Using a clay bar once or twice a year and polishing with a PC will not damage your clearcoat. The PC simply does not generate enough heat to do any harm. A rotary, yes, and you better know what you are doing. The only way a PC can hurt your paint is if you drop the thing on the car.

The kind of wear (or damage) I'm talking about is not from heat.

Think about it... fine scratches (and even swirls) in the clear coat represent surfaces that are below the level of the local clear coat. To fix these fine scratches/swirls you have to lower the level of the local clear coat to the same level as the lowest point of the flaw. Other than filling the fine scratch/swirl (some polishes do this), there is no other way to remove the flaw.

A clay bar is an abrasive, and even when used with the proper amount of lubricant, it still removes some clear coat.

Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:

A clay bar is an abrasive, and even when used with the proper amount of lubricant, it still removes some clear coat.

I'm no expert but I'm familiar with the saran wrap hand rub test for contaminants prior to consideration of clay bar useage.

When I have positive results I use tar and sap remover (whichever mfgr) and for my conditions, THAT seems to remove all the gunk left over after washing. It's basically kerosene I believe... .

FWIW, good luck.

Congrats!
    Most people forget to do the clothes hooks in leather when they do leather seat backs, nice to see your attention to detail.

I do the same exact thing now w/ every new car. Tell my dealer not to prep it at all & bring it directly to my detailer for its first clay & detail, looks so much better & makes a huge difference in future maintenance (detailing) to start off right w/ good protection. The finish from the factory is always going to be quite bad.

Nice car!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys. I missed the leather fuse box (would look nice if stitched) and heated seats! Its in the 40s here in Florida but usually only for a few days. Speccing this car took on a life of its own. But it was so much fun researching on this and other forums and learning from guys like Stradale on how to take your time. It makes this car so much more special in that it is very unique.

I didn't get the fuse panel either but I was able to order it from my dealership. It took a while but it eventually came so I imagine that you'd be able to do the same too. Heated seats would be a different story.

The irony is that I haven't bothered to put it in yet! I saw how scruffed up the plastic one has been getting so I left the leather one out.

Great color! (nice for something other than BLACK or silver). What? No seat heat?? That's the first thing that goes on,--even in the summer!

Dan

The irony is that I haven't bothered to put it in yet! I saw how scruffed up the plastic one has been getting so I left the leather one out.

Quote:
    atomic80 said:
    I didn't get the fuse panel either but I was able to order it from my dealership. It took a while but it eventually came so I imagine that you'd be able to do the same too. Heated seats would be a different story.

Jason, did you have Barrier do your 'first bath"?? They have always done a good job on my details, curious what your experience has been.

Greta,

They did clean my car up but I think that in the process they may have accidentally given me extra scratches. They redeemed themselves by getting those scratches fixed. I'm not sure if they were already there or if they put them there. I'd definitely tell them NOT to detail the car if I were you. I'd have Metropolitan Detail do it when you get the clear bra installed by them. They'll do a MUCH better job on that anyhow.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779665 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442325 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263155 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261448 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85676 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5834 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881157 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817872 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM