Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

vote against 130 km/h speed limit in Germany!!

Hi!

anyone who is interested in keeping the remaining 10-20% of german autobahn speed-limit free can sign for it here:

Thanks!

http://www.stoppt-tempo130.de/

Re: vote against 130 km/h speed limit in Germany!!

Done it

as well....

me too

funny, 3 swiss replies...maybe because we like to release our beasts abroad?

good work guys...thats how its done. we come over there to go on your montain pass roads and you come max out ur cars on the autobahn...

WOW! That would mean the end of any "reasonable" justification for Porsche to produce fast cars!

You know? At least you can "justify" owning a car that has an approx 200 mph top speed because you can say, "It was built for the German Autobahn."

Now what are you going to say? "It was built for racing in circles on a track?"

Holy Cr*p! This is bad.

well of course it was built on the autobahn but developed for track use as well right? dont think that sounds soo bad.
    i mean dont get me wrong, i would hate nothing more than only being able to go 130kmh here but the race tracks are my last hopes here... at least there u will always be able to truley get to know ur car there...

The German politicians seem hell bent on destroying their auto industry! Having to manufacture cars to withstand the demands of the Autobahn is a primary reason German cars have sold well worldwide and the resulting employment of many Germans in car and component manufacturing throughout the country.

done!

Voted

Quote:
    stubenhocker said:
    The German politicians seem hell bent on destroying their auto industry!

Not really. The German Bundestag has voted against it just a couple of weeks ago. That could change though in case the Reds/Greens would win the next federal elections in 2009 (god forbid).

The main threat is coming from the EU. Obviously the French and the Italians use the CO2 hype as a Trojan horse to strengthen their car industry (mostly small cars with low emissions) vs. the German competitors.

Only yesterday the EU comission announced their plan about a kind of gas guzzlers tax (CO2 based).

If these plan would be put in force, the "fine" for a BoxsterS would be about 12,000 Euro in 2015 (don't try to compute the figure for a Cayenne Turbo)

Of course the German government will not support these crazy plans. They used even pretty strong language by naming it a new "industry war". Adenauer and de Gaulle will rotate in their graves watching how the European idea is going to be perverted by today's politicians

I have to say that Merkel looked much too weak when responding to this development. She should be defending the German car industry much more vigorously. She needs to be a lot fiercer to quash this ridiculous campaign in its infancy.

Here in the UK, she was quoted as saying that this plan was "unfavourable". But I assume that was probably a bad translation of what she really said. Nonetheless, she should have been less ambiguous and she should have 'biffed' the EU bureaucrats on the head.

I'm sorry but she just lacks balls. Margaret Thatcher would have bashed the EU lunatics who dreamt up this plan with her handbag...she wasn't called the Iron Lady for nothing....she had balls the size of watermelons...

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    I'm sorry but she just lacks balls.

After all she is a woman
    Seriously: usually she's not a person of strong words, but she definitely used harsher language than what has been quoted in the English press. Examples: "That's industry policy against Germany", "I'm sustainably annoyed about Barroso". Not too diplomatic language.

BTW the French Premier also critisised the EU plans......for not being strict enough against BMW and Mercedes. I'm afraid we'll see an ugly battle

done!

i hope the germans don't go into the same carhateing political disaster as we do in switzerland!!!

good job rantanplan, we see us on track next spring.

i'm looking very much forward to drive in the direction of stuttgard an give my GT3 RS the freeride he needs!

Quote:
    Porsche-Jeck said:
    Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    I'm sorry but she just lacks balls.

After all she is a woman
    Seriously: usually she's not a person of strong words, but she definitely used harsher language than what has been quoted in the English press. Examples: "That's industry policy against Germany", "I'm sustainably annoyed about Barroso". Not too diplomatic language.

BTW the French Premier also critisised the EU plans......for not being strict enough against BMW and Mercedes. I'm afraid we'll see an ugly battle

So, it's a choice between the german Autobahn stormers with sleek lines and awesome performance and the french rolling sofas, shaped like Easter eggs and about as durable. Tough call .

As an American, my vote would not count.

Realistically, have the authorities, or members of the German legislature and the Chancellor's office, lost their collective minds? I know that the EU is trying to destroy the German auto industry with it's rules on fuel consumption and carbon emissions per kilometer of travel, but the speed limit on all parts of the autobahn is ridiculous. The lack of speed limits on large stretches of the autobahn is the precise reason why German automobiles are generally superior to all other cars made on the planet. The daily competition on the unlimited speed portion of the autobahns - among Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, and BMW - drive German auto companies to manufacture superior automobiles.

That assurance - knowing that German car firms won't turn out a car that can't perform well on the autobahns - is what influenced me, in part, to buy a Porsche (I will have to admit wanting a Porsche since I saw my first one, a red 356C, in October of 1964. My Porsche-fever became permanent in 1967, when I saw a 912 - the poor man's 911).

Heck, German cars are proven to be generally superior every day of the week by their phenomenal performance on the autobahns!!!!!!!! No where else in the world can this performance be demonstrated on a daily basis. Daily and intensive testing by consumers has driven German auto manufacturers to make the best overall cars in the world.

Are the German leadership willing to destroy their own country by succumbing to the nonsense coming out of the EU, whether in Brussels or Strausburg? Don't give this advantage up because of some nut cases in the EU!!!!!!!!

Jim

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    I have to say that Merkel looked much too weak when responding to this development. She should be defending the German car industry much more vigorously. She needs to be a lot fiercer to quash this ridiculous campaign in its infancy.

Here in the UK, she was quoted as saying that this plan was "unfavourable". But I assume that was probably a bad translation of what she really said. Nonetheless, she should have been less ambiguous and she should have 'biffed' the EU bureaucrats on the head.

I'm sorry but she just lacks balls. Margaret Thatcher would have bashed the EU lunatics who dreamt up this plan with her handbag...she wasn't called the Iron Lady for nothing....she had balls the size of watermelons...

Totally Agree!!!!!!!

Jim

I am from Italy , will my vote count? Can you tell me? Thanks and Merry Christmas to everybody

I signed it, even though I'm not German. Jeez, just think about how much time travel through GErmany would take with a 130 km/h limit !

Schedule your European Deliveries soon before all this comes to a screeching halt! Was sind sie denkend??

Unfortunately these kinds of attacks on sports/luxury cars will only persist. It's an easy target for the politicians who are looking to the global warming scam as an excuse to tax us more. The good news is that those that can afford it won't really be affected too much. Hopefully this speed limitation thing doesn't pass.

Quote:
    SrfCity said:
    Unfortunately these kinds of attacks on sports/luxury cars will only persist. It's an easy target for the politicians who are looking to the global warming scam as an excuse to tax us more. The good news is that those that can afford it won't really be affected too much. Hopefully this speed limitation thing doesn't pass.

Agree!! This is insane and nothing more than a scam to shake the public down for more revenue.

Jim

Well done to the Germans for fighting this sort of thing. In France people just tend to take things lying down, and then end up all surprised to find their personal freedoms severely impaired.

i voted.

Quote:
    elsiesvg said:
    Well done to the Germans for fighting this sort of thing. In France people just tend to take things lying down, and then end up all surprised to find their personal freedoms severely impaired.

Not really sure that France are not fighting against this quind of thing.

Take your radar boxes for examples. I don't really Know where in France but i think it's in Corse or Marseille, people blow them in the air and then the police don't replaced them because they'll get blown away again.

I'm sorry elsiesvg, if there's any nation that has the guts to protest against anything they don't like, it's the French...

It's us British who almost never protest against things. I actually wish we were more like the French and didn't take everything lying down.

Quote:
    Cram said:
    Quote:
    elsiesvg said:

Not really sure that France are not fighting against this quind of thing.

Take your radar boxes for examples. I don't really Know where in France but i think it's in Corse or Marseille, people blow them in the air and then the police don't replaced them because they'll get blown away again.

The same thing happens here. It started with taking pot shots (actually, close to a hundred pot shots, according to the pictures ) at the speed camera casings, but quickly advanced into full-scale war when some guy, taking his sweet time, first riddled the speed camera full of holes, ripped it off its stand, ran over it several times with his vehicle and then set it on fire . And the funniest bit about this story is that this all happened on a main highway and nobody called the police on him .

I also seem to remember a similar incident in Switzerland, Cram, when some guy ripped off a speed camera, ran over it with his car several times, then drove up a mountain and tossed it down a cliff. People are ingenious that way .

I also seem to remember a similar incident in Switzerland, Cram, when some guy ripped off a speed camera, ran over it with his car several times, then drove up a mountain and tossed it down a cliff. People are ingenious that way .

Didn't know about the swiss one but just great. Should be more.

I agree that people are ingenious. I really have to laugh. I wouldn't have the guts to do it, but i do love to read and hear stories like that

Quote:
    elsiesvg said:

France is a beautiful and wonderful country (and I say this as an American, who also has the same high opinion of Germany), but I was once told by French officials (government officials and senior private sector executives) that the French people put a lot of faith in their government officials. Why this may be justified in some things, I would think that the citizens of France should spend more time thinking for themselves and not buying into (or believing) everything told them by the government of France.

Can you imagine the quality of cars coming out of Europe if both France, the UK, and Italy also ended speed limits on most portions of their super-highways? That type of action would get the politicians in the U.S. to: 1) require that better interstate highways are built in the U.S; 2) that speed limits, for those in the left lane, be unlimited on interstate highways; and, 3) that drivers get a special license to enable them to travel at the higher unlimited speeds legally in the left lane (that is, applying - if I remember my German correctly, "recht-fahren," to U.S. interstate highways). The latter would provide loads of work for folks in building better U.S. roads and a superior internal, land-based, transportation system. And it would ultimately lead to vastly improved U.S. - made cars, as U.S. manufacturers would have to produce better-performing cars to survive.

For those worried about the cost of fuel, my response is "so what?" The cost of fuel drives improvements in fuel economy and, of course, engine efficiency. And if you can't afford the fuel, get a car that uses less fuel and probably doesn't perform like a Porsche or a Ferrari. If gasoline prices in the U.S. reached $10-15 U.S. per gallon (given the current level of prices for other goods in the U.S.), I might even consider selling my 911S for an "econo-box.

Just a few "opinionated," but based in fact, thoughts.

The bottom line is that Porsche should not be "cowed" by Angela Merkel or EU politicians into turning its cars into "gutless wonders," which would end up helping no one.

Jim

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    753053 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430694 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258589 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255450 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79501 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868294 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801846 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM