Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: King of the Ring 7:24

Correct! Autoblog reports it HERE.

PAG watch out! It's very sad what's going on at PAG for the last few years - absent from motorsports, building trucks and sedans and catering to boulevardiers and poseurs only interested in metal/wood/leather girllie trim. Sad indeed!

It's a one-off concept car, isn't it? Are they going to be producing them, like the GT2?

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/20/new-ring-record-bmw-m3-csl-laps-in-7-22-8-seconds/

Quote:
    JoeRockhead said:
    It's a one-off concept car, isn't it? Are they going to be producing them, like the GT2?

No, it's a prototype for what will be a production car...

I don't see anything correct about it

- its a mule
    - its unofficial
    - its performed by the manufacturer
    - and comes out in good timming for Lexus' marketing department

Its just bullshit for those that don't know any better and take any Nring lap time the hear as valid and with any informative value.

This is getting ridiculous with how the manufacturer's are abusing the Nring for publicity and marketing purposes in the eye of the masses that can't tell legit lap times from cheap propaganda...

Im with Carlos here.
    Smells like a convenient PR stunt to me.
    Let's look at this when they have had Horst von Saurma or similar testdrive the real production car.

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Correct! Autoblog reports it HERE.

PAG watch out! It's very sad what's going on at PAG for the last few years - absent from motorsports, building trucks and sedans and catering to boulevardiers and poseurs only interested in metal/wood/leather girllie trim. Sad indeed!

Are you guys serious? These unfounded articles deserve no recognition at all.

1) The car is not for sale.
    2) The manufacturer just claims some lap time and you believe it?
    3) In addition to the above: It is entirely unlikely that a Lexus with less power than a GT2 will come even close to the GT2's lap times.

I am also very critical towards Porsche - however, the criticism should be based on credible information not BS.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:3) In addition to the above: It is entirely unlikely that a Lexus with less power than a GT2 will come even close to the GT2's lap times.

I thought the GT2 has less power than the Lexus (552hp)...

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:3) In addition to the above: It is entirely unlikely that a Lexus with less power than a GT2 will come even close to the GT2's lap times.

Hey! Don't confuse us with the facts.

Very interesting story.

For a large Japanese corporation like Toyota, lying in a press release would be very out of character.

Time will tell I guess. When is this car due to launch?

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:

Hey! Don't confuse us with the facts.

The Jap's are catching up the big boy's , we have seen recent hints of it already...

Boys, boys...
    Read this "funny" article more careful! It claims "ONE second" faster than the GT2, which means only one thing - misprint or pure speculation

Quote:
    throt said:
    The Jap's are catching up the big boy's , we have seen recent hints of it already...

Sure they are.

On the other hand, people also said that when almost every Japanese car manufacturer (including Fuji Heavy Industries (= Subaru), as well as Isuzu and Yamaha (not really "car manufacturers"), seemed to have an exotic multi-cylinder-engined exotic super-sports showcar on its stand at the Tokyo Motor Show. Was it the 1989 or the 1991 Motor Show?

We're still waiting fo those models to come to market.

Quote:
    ScottL said:
    Very interesting story.

For a large Japanese corporation like Toyota, lying in a press release would be very out of character.

Time will tell I guess. When is this car due to launch?

Toyota didn't claim anything.

The Porsche Turbo has been far ahead of its rivals for many years but has been soundly beaten at its own game by the GT-R.

The 2008 Subaru Sti sets new performance standards for a five-door econo hatch.

The Lexus may just be a concept but it is only a matter of (a short) time until the new GT2 is beaten at the Ring by a Japanese car (maybe the lightweight GT-R).

The Japanese are ascending to the peak of sports car performance and look set to win in several important categories.

Factor in the upcoming ZR1 and we have a new era of increased competition at the highest level, which is great for car lovers.

Now that Nissan has proved it can beat the 911 Turbo, it makes a lot of corporate sense for Toyota to go gunning for the GT2.

Quote:
    AUM said:
    Now that Nissan has proved it can beat the 911 Turbo, it makes a lot of corporate sense for Toyota to go gunning for the GT2.

One can just hope that Toyota isn't screwing it up like in the F1 championship... For the time being the Japanese don't offer adequate competition in the top-performance league Let's wait and see what migth happen in two to three years time But then the current GT2 will be history, a new Porsche performance model to be launched soon

People keep calling BS on these new Japanese cars and get all worked up about it. IMO, it's great news for car enthusiasts. It only means that performance is going up and prices are coming down. I've been a Porsche owner for over 12 years and I would jump to that LF-A in a second if the performance numbers are true and it has the right price point. The test mule looks great IMO.

Quote:
    U Boat Commander said:
    People keep calling BS on these new Japanese cars and get all worked up about it. IMO, it's great news for car enthusiasts. It only means that performance is going up and prices are coming down. I've been a Porsche owner for over 12 years and I would jump to that LF-A in a second if the performance numbers are true and it has the right price point. The test mule looks great IMO.

The front and side look fine. It's the rear of the car that I can't get over.

Quote:
    AUM said:The Japanese are ascending to the peak of sports car performance and look set to win in several important categories.

I agree, the new Japanese cars have impressed me. It's also nice that the Yen is about as worthless a currency as the US Dollar, so it bodes well for US pricing for now and in the future (GT-R is about half as much as 997TT here).

Quote:
    AUM said:
    The Porsche Turbo has been far ahead of its rivals for many years but has been soundly beaten at its own game by the GT-R.

The 2008 Subaru Sti sets new performance standards for a five-door econo hatch.

The Lexus may just be a concept but it is only a matter of (a short) time until the new GT2 is beaten at the Ring by a Japanese car (maybe the lightweight GT-R).

The Japanese are ascending to the peak of sports car performance and look set to win in several important categories.

Factor in the upcoming ZR1 and we have a new era of increased competition at the highest level, which is great for car lovers.

Well stated! Wait now for what the Vette ZT1 will do.

I say again... it is sad that PAG got out of motorsports and limited their 911 development to overpriced luxury optioned, modest performance increments, that we have been willing to pay for. At least until now... but I suspect that the tide is changing.

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    AUM said:The Japanese are ascending to the peak of sports car performance and look set to win in several important categories.

I agree, the new Japanese cars have impressed me. It's also nice that the Yen is about as worthless a currency as the US Dollar, so it bodes well for US pricing for now and in the future (GT-R is about half as much as 997TT here).

If the japanese come back to the high-sportcar scene (its not the first time though it died away in the last decade... there was the age of the Supra, 300ZX, NSX, Skyline, etc) this can only mean good things for Porsche enthusiasts and for the other european maker enthusiasts, because we will get more for our money in future models since there will be more competition, and the market will be forced to offer more.

Unfortunately I don't see these japanese sportcars creating any real competition in terms of overall sales, since I don't see them as big sellers, especially in Europe. And sales is what makers only care for but maybe in the rest of the world it will hopefully.

like or not its apparently far enough along that in a visit yesterday with owner of my local lexus dealer its time to sign up....the good news for potential buyers the lexus culture seems to be if you want one well build it for you.... i cant decide as in person at pb it looked sort of contrived but 7:24 certainly isnt

This article makes no sense at all. Lexus (Toyota) couldn't win LeMans with a HUGE budget and they are not doing stellar in F1 either so what makes us think they can build a GT2 beater?
    Think about it.

If this time is meant to be like the video to the "record-beating" time of the GT-R, where the start and finish time are taken at different places, then I am going back to winter hibernation, please.

I think we should all relax regarding the Ring times. Let's just say that anything below 7:55 is supercar territory and good enough.

The rest of the story is the way the car talks to a driver and what parts of the performance and character of the car is relevant to each individual driver and their priorities.

Quote:
    MarekN said:
    If this time is meant to be like the video to the "record-beating" time of the GT-R, where the start and finish time are taken at different places, then I am going back to winter hibernation, please.

Umm, that's how all Ring times are calculated...

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Quote:
    MarekN said:

Umm, that's how all Ring times are calculated...

Correct.

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:

If the japanese come back to the high-sportcar scene (its not the first time though it died away in the last decade... there was the age of the Supra, 300ZX, NSX, Skyline, etc) this can only mean good things for Porsche enthusiasts and for the other european maker enthusiasts, because we will get more for our money in future models since there will be more competition, and the market will be forced to offer more.

Unfortunately I don't see these japanese sportcars creating any real competition in terms of overall sales, since I don't see them as big sellers, especially in Europe. And sales is what makers only care for but maybe in the rest of the world it will hopefully.

Carlos, why should Porsche change? People like yourself as well as other are diehard Porschephiles and will buy a Porsche regardless of the competition. As a result, Porsche will continue with its policy of incremental styling change, performance increase and pricing. They know their customers and have nothing to fear.

The GT-R in Top Gear was so well liked that they indicated that the "997TT seemed old fashion." Yet the various Porsche boards have been slamming the car claiming it it nothing more than a Nissan. How the screw has turned. Recall when some claimed that the Porsche was nothing more than a VW on steroids?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Carlos, why should Porsche change? People like yourself as well as other are diehard Porschephiles and will buy a Porsche regardless of the competition. As a result, Porsche will continue with its policy of incremental styling change, performance increase and pricing. They know their customers and have nothing to fear.

What do you think I'm an [beep] or something? I like Porsche because I like their product and so far its always the one that suited my driving preference and use best, if the product would suck compared to other products out there, I would turn to something else and give them my hard earned money, but that is certainly not the case, at least not today.
    Unklike you, I buy a sportcar to drive everyday and enjoy 24-7, not to drive to starbucks and back, therefore its brand is not as important as its driving, so I'm not as hung up on brand "image" as you are. Give that insulting lecture to someone else.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    690958 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410115 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256171 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235398 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65739 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858778 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775076 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM