Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New Porsche 911 meets Aston Martin AMV8 in Top Gear!

This should be interesting:

"Others have driven the new 911 - but nobody has pitched it against the amazing new Aston AMV8, due out next year. Read this world exclusive in the new issue of Top Gear magazine, out today..."

Top Gear

Re: New Porsche 911 meets Aston Martin AMV8 in Top Gear!

I would love to read that! anybody with a working scanner gets Top Gear?

I will try to get a copy of it today.

I've just read it. First a good write up on the 997 - 'the best sports car ever' and then a secondary article including the AMV8 - however it is just the concept/show car from 6 months ago (or whenever it was), they dont really drive it since it is just a DB7 underneath - but a good discussion about it and comparing it to the 997.

Quote:
    Martin Tyler said:
    'the best sports car ever'

To hear that from Top Gear is really something.
    I know that Tiff loved the 911, especially the Turbo but since he left, Top Gear didn't always fell in love with Porsche products. I won't forget the Cayenne Turbo review when they praised the technical part but were ashamed to be seen driving the Cayenne in public.

let aston martin lunch its AMV8 or whatever they will call it.
    porsche doesnt have to prove anything to anyone regarding how sports cars should be made.i see a lot of people criticizing the 997,but why dodnt they have a look to the quality of ferrari that uses fiat components or aston martin which the inside cockpit looks like a ford focus...let all chase porsche...if they can!

if i were porsche i would be very worried about the AMV8. if the DB9 is anything to go by this new car could be quite a stormer for 911 money. aston are the only manufacturer competing on porsches level in my eyes, some might say doing it better. ie. quality, price, ideas, execution. for 20 years i have been a 911 fan all my life and this is the first time i am 'swayed'.

not that i can afford either of course! i cant even afford a pizza at uni!!

Quote:
    avedon said:
    let aston martin lunch its AMV8 or whatever they will call it.
    porsche doesnt have to prove anything to anyone regarding how sports cars should be made.i see a lot of people criticizing the 997,but why dodnt they have a look to the quality of ferrari that uses fiat components or aston martin which the inside cockpit looks like a ford focus...let all chase porsche...if they can!

Have you see the interior of the AMV8? I haven't seen a Ford Focus lately, but if it looks like that, I'll happily buy one

N*1-its the others sport car makers that are trying to "steel" porsche customers.
    N*2-why dont you stop by an aston martin dealer and have a seat in the vanquish(a 260thousand something euro car)and then you will understand what i am talking about.
    N*3-i think that porsche can afford not to worry about any other sports car simpley because areal porsche customer will never change porsche with anything.

Not sure I agree. I arrived in the UK (moved from the US) 4 months ago and the first thing I did on my "free" week-end was to go to an Aston Martin dealer to put my name on the list of the AMV8.
    Never in my life have I been so badely catered for in a dealership. The guy had NO TIME at all for me, although there wasn't 1 single other person at the dealership at the time.
    I work for one of the best brand names in the UK and when he asked me for a business card and he saw my title and company name, he was quick to change attitude. By that time, I had totally lost interest, moved on a few miles (I live in the Reading area), arranged for the Porsche Importer to help bring my car over for the US and ordered a 997 C2S on the spot (for Pounds1000 deposit, VS the Pounds10,000 the AM dealer wanted to have a slot in the next 4 years!!!).
    NEVER and I mean NEVER will I set foot in an AM dealership again. With regards to the car, no one knows aything about it other than it's really beautiful and way overpriced compared to a 997!
    JM

Quote:
    Luke R said:
    aston are the only manufacturer competing on porsches level in my eyes, some might say doing it better

Are you serious???

Quote:
    avedon said:
    N*3-i think that porsche can afford not to worry about any other sports car simpley because areal porsche customer will never change porsche with anything.

avedon,

I think that the day that Porsche thinks it can afford to stop worrying about other sports cars will be they day that it stops trying to keep its sports cars ahead of the competition will be the day that it starts losing its position relative to the competition will be the day that Porsche enthusiasts will start really worrying about the future of Porsche.........

I could have gone on all night without using a comma.

Quote:
    Luke R said:

Well Luke, since you are at the uni, you are heading in the right direction. Unless, of course, you die of starvation before you graduate. Is there anything cheaper than pizza on the menu?

Let's just say that AM's Dr Uli Bez has declared his intention to take sales away from the 911, and he has the pedigree to know what makes a 911 tick, which is a big part of getting a competitor right, and AM's latest products suggest that he is pushing the right buttons.

Healthy competition is a good thing.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    avedon said:

avedon,

I think that the day that Porsche thinks it can afford to stop worrying about other sports cars will be they day that it stops trying to keep its sports cars ahead of the competition will be the day that it starts losing its position relative to the competition will be the day that Porsche enthusiasts will start really worrying about the future of Porsche.........

Quite right Fritz. I am taking delivery of my new 997 in October and have had a 'letter of interest' (AM won't let you leave a deposit at present) registered with AM at Brentwood for nearly two years so quite high on the 'list'. The salesman at AM has been superb but more interestingly stated that 80% of reserves has come from 911 owners............. its a natural competitor doing what it was designed to do.

Quote:

lol fritz, you are so funny at times!

Quote:
    Gauss said:
    Quote:

lol fritz, you are so funny at times!

OOOH! "At times". As in, "but then at other times you are just a pain in the butt!"

if its a natural competitor doing its job...then let the porsche customers be 80% and something...if any of these people who ordered the AM have a ride around the block before ordering it...

That's odd. I've never gotten better service than what I've received from my AM dealer, but perhaps it was because of making an appointment for even my first visit.

In any case, I had already posted the link to this article on the bottom of this thread yesterday. I guess no one noticed?

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=40161&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Hope you don't have to be registered. If so, let me know and I will save the images and forward them to an admin.

- J

PS: The director at my local AM dealership drives a 911, but that will change soon.

Quote:
    OOOH! "At times". As in, "but then at other times you are just a pain in the butt!"

No No No...Absolutely not what I was thinking !

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    Luke R said:

Well Luke, since you are at the uni, you are heading in the right direction. Unless, of course, you die of starvation before you graduate. Is there anything cheaper than pizza on the menu?

Let's just say that AM's Dr Uli Bez has declared his intention to take sales away from the 911, and he has the pedigree to know what makes a 911 tick, which is a big part of getting a competitor right, and AM's latest products suggest that he is pushing the right buttons.

Healthy competition is a good thing.

Per 8/04 Car&Driver's test of DB9 (first non-Brit review I've seen), DB9 was underwhelming from a dynamic standpoint and full of Mercedes-like electrical gremlins.....so unless Bez can actually start to engineer and build dynamically interesting cars (obviously AM wins the styling war), P needn't be too concerned about this pesky wannabee

Quote:
    Luke R said:
    if i were porsche i would be very worried about the AMV8. if the DB9 is anything to go by this new car could be quite a stormer for 911 money. aston are the only manufacturer competing on porsches level in my eyes, some might say doing it better. ie. quality, price, ideas, execution. for 20 years i have been a 911 fan all my life and this is the first time i am 'swayed'.

even tough they say in the article that the aston is for 911 money ,they also say the aston is 20000 pounds(35000 euros) more expensive.i dont get it is 35000 euros is nothing?
    the second point is in the first article (versus the aston)he is saying "in six month time the 997 could be scrap iron because of the aston launch" . then in the next few pages he says about the 997: "the best sports car ever" . i dont get it...for me its lack of professionalism and chauvinism.. sorry for people who like top gear guy , but thats my opinion..he is saying that just because the aston is british made.. poor..

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    ..for me its lack of professionalism and chauvinism..

Oh, that must mean that this article was written by Jeremy Clarkson.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    dhayek said:

Bingo!!!

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    dhayek said:

Bingo!!!

Thanks for confirming. The fact that I guessed right says more about Clarkson's predictability than my astuteness.

Quote:
    avedon said:
    if its a natural competitor doing its job...then let the porsche customers be 80% and something...if any of these people who ordered the AM have a ride around the block before ordering it...

Que?

Quote:
    Justin said:
    That's odd. I've never gotten better service than what I've received from my AM dealer, but perhaps it was because of making an appointment for even my first visit.

In any case, I had already posted the link to this article on the bottom of this thread yesterday. I guess no one noticed?

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=40161&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Hope you don't have to be registered. If so, let me know and I will save the images and forward them to an admin.

- J

PS: The director at my local AM dealership drives a 911, but that will change soon.

Noticed it now...thanks for that, good article, there's only one winner on the style front, especially to the 'man in the street'.

Quote:
    dhayek said:...for me its lack of professionalism and chauvinism.. sorry for people who like the top gear guy

Don't worry, you won't find many around here... this is a sportcar performance enthusiast group remember? but the poseur crowd is four blocks down from here and they will not like you criticising Jeremy... heck they even write down his words and quote them like gospel!

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Quote:
    dhayek said:...for me its lack of professionalism and chauvinism.. sorry for people who like the top gear guy

Don't worry, you won't find many around here... this is a sportcar performance enthusiast group remember? but the poseur crowd is four blocks down from here and they will not like you criticising Jeremy... heck they even write down his words and quote them like gospel!

But you aren't thinking of anyone in particular, are you Carlos?

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Quote:

me? no way ... Nobody in perrtycular, why?

Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    carlos fromspain said:
    Quote:

me? no way ... Nobody in perrtycular, why?

Just making sure. That's exactly what I thought.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    775128 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440569 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262166 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260400 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84868 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5448 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879599 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814468 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM