Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: '09 Corvette ZR-1 revealed

Quote:
    RossN said:
    Quote:
    amazon said:
    The ZO6 was already loosing some bhps in smoke, right?

I mean, it's not just about the numbers. I absolutly hate spec sheets. They tell you nothing about the car or how fast it really is. It could say 200 bhp or 2,000, it doesn't matter that much IMHO.

I'm so tired to hear people getting exited just with numbers.

Not sure what the comment about the Z06 loosing hp in smoke means? The Z06 regularly dyno's in the 440 to 460 range stock, and that is via a chassis dyno meaning threw the drivetrain. The engine is at 505 hp.

As for the numbers, that is all we have so far on the new ZR1. Expect some performance stat's early next year. Maybe a N-Ring time soon.

I think I heard that the zo6 had trouble putting down its power. I can't remember when or where exactly.

As for the numbers argument, I wasn't speaking about the corvette in specific. I meant that for every car that hit the market. For instance, a F430 scud is as fast as an enzo and a GT2 is also said to be as fast as a carrera GT, but none of these 2 have 600 bhp.

spec sheets are marketing tools for people who just don't know a thing about cars, and just want to impress their friends with big numbers.

That said, and to come back to the vette, I never drove one so I'm not gonna say that it's good or bad. I don't know. I guess for the price, it's a good deal, but if you're looking for a great deal, I'm not sure the vette is a better deal than a simple boxster S or an M3, wich are a lot cheaper.

The vette has always tryed to be the best deal around. It looks like they've designed it to give the customer the bhp at the lowest price. 90k for 600 ponnies, that's pretty cheap. If that's what you want, fine by me but it has never been an goal for me as I know how numbers are usually irrelevent. Fun is relevent. Laughing out loud behind the wheel is relevent. Not a bhp to price ratio.

Quote:
    amazon said:
    The vette has always tryed to be the best deal around. It looks like they've designed it to give the customer the bhp at the lowest price. 90k for 600 ponnies, that's pretty cheap. If that's what you want, fine by me but it has never been an goal for me as I know how numbers are usually irrelevent. Fun is relevent. Laughing out loud behind the wheel is relevent. Not a bhp to price ratio.

If Corvettes were still the buckets of bolts they were 15 years ago you might have a point.. but they are clearly not, and your comment gives no credit to the refinement, handling, and engineering that the Corvette team have improved especially in the C6. And, the surprisingly positive reviews in British car mags back this up, especially for the Z06 - in fact the reason people love this car is exactly what you claim it lacks - it is pure fun from the combination of huge power everywhere in the rev range, light weight, and enough refinement in steering and handling to complement the total package. I have driven the Z06 and it is a serious contender to replace our gradually less-trusty M Coupe.

At a time when German performance car makers continue to pile on weight by adding electronic acronyms that we never asked for (BMW's that actively steer themselves anyone??) the Corvette engineering team deserves, and is slowly getting, some respect for being able to maintain a racer's focus on power, handling, and low weight. Only Ferrari (for just a bit more $$) has been able to consistently deliver the low weight part at these performance levels - Porsche does only sometimes eg. GT3.

Quote:
    vinnie said:The GT-R dispels the myth of needing super high hp and low weight for superior preformance.

Nobody ever thought you couldn't get impressive high performance numbers with a powerful & heavy car (just look at the Veyron). The real question is whether it can be as fun to drive as a lightweight moderately powerful car (I think not)...

Quote:
    amazon said:
    Quote:
    RossN said:
    Quote:
    amazon said:
    The ZO6 was already loosing some bhps in smoke, right?

I mean, it's not just about the numbers. I absolutly hate spec sheets. They tell you nothing about the car or how fast it really is. It could say 200 bhp or 2,000, it doesn't matter that much IMHO.

I'm so tired to hear people getting exited just with numbers.

Not sure what the comment about the Z06 loosing hp in smoke means? The Z06 regularly dyno's in the 440 to 460 range stock, and that is via a chassis dyno meaning threw the drivetrain. The engine is at 505 hp.

As for the numbers, that is all we have so far on the new ZR1. Expect some performance stat's early next year. Maybe a N-Ring time soon.

I think I heard that the zo6 had trouble putting down its power. I can't remember when or where exactly.

As for the numbers argument, I wasn't speaking about the corvette in specific. I meant that for every car that hit the market. For instance, a F430 scud is as fast as an enzo and a GT2 is also said to be as fast as a carrera GT, but none of these 2 have 600 bhp.

spec sheets are marketing tools for people who just don't know a thing about cars, and just want to impress their friends with big numbers.

That said, and to come back to the vette, I never drove one so I'm not gonna say that it's good or bad. I don't know. I guess for the price, it's a good deal, but if you're looking for a great deal, I'm not sure the vette is a better deal than a simple boxster S or an M3, wich are a lot cheaper.

Ahh, I see. That completely makes sense.

Many of the tests in European magazines are done on airstrips which are sometimes dusty. American tests are done on a 1/4 track, where the surface is perfect, sometimes with additional sticky chemicals used.

Your right about traction being a problem, I know in my Z, 1st and 2nd gears need to be used with respect because of the huge amount of torque and Run Flat Goodyear tires. Sure is fun perfecting my driving style and launch though!

If you can manage to arrange a test drive at all, you will enjoy the Z, let alone the ZR1 when that is launched.

Quote:
    RossN said:
    Unfortunately ZR1 might have some negative aspects as well:

1. It's probably so powerful it destroys it's own powertrain (but only if it's faster than proper european competitors)

- I wouldn't be so quick with that. GM produces reliavble engines and has run the the LS9 engine to over 100 hours so far at "WOT" (wide open throttle) testing and 6800 dyno hours. All GM engines are certified to 100k miles. All GM engine are usually in a "mild" state of tune for Emission purposes. For instance, the LS7 in the current Z06 is rated at 505 SAE hp, with a good tune only the power usually is raised roughly 30-40hp.

2. It doesn't have decent feel towards driver when you drive it (especially if it's faster than european competitors)

- The ZR1 comes with the MSRC (Magnetic Select Ride Control) for it's suspension. This is made by Dephi, a US company and Ferrari currently licenses this technology on its 599GTB model, so it can't be that shabby. The MRSC suspension will offer comfort and track settings.

3. It's too cheaply made (especially if european competitors are more expensive)

- That is a subjective comment. Rattles and interior noises are not common on current Z06's and Corvettes. The ZR1 will is engineered to go to 100k miles with no issues. This includes track time, of course comsumables will need replacing. The ZR1 is not stripped model, it will still have luxury and offer a upgraded leather package for the interior as an option, nav, HUD (heads up display), etc.

4. It's not in the same league than proper european supercars (especially if it's as fast as they are)

- You may be right, it may surpass most European supercars.

5. It's not for everyday driving (especially if european competitors are slower)

- Wrong, see #2.

6. It's ugly (you decide)

- As with everything, customizing is always an option. Something European customers may not be used to. American Tuner packages can often be MUCH less expensive. Sometimes 1/4 the price of say upgrading a Ferrari while offering no decrease in driviability and reliability.

7. It's too low for everyday driving (so please drive Toyota instead)

- ? Okay, raise it if fear consumes you.

8. It does not look like a Ferrari (It isn't one either, so why bother)

- Some people love Blondes, some Brunettes. The more you limit your perceptions of what is "perfect", the more you will miss out on what Life has to offer. Btw, ferrari doesn't style most of their cars, so give credit to the Design House, not Ferrari. Yes, the ZR1 has a some odd styling elements like the hood, but the aftermarket will respond quickly with other options.

9. It does not have a quality feel and presence like Porsche (But isn't that great!)

- ?, Subjective.

10. I wouldn't waste my money on anything as cheap as ZR1 (Well, fair argument, I have nothing to complain, so please buy a supercar instead)

- See #8.

Ross, Pekka was just kidding, tongue-in-cheek, you know?

Quote:
    Pekka_Perkeles said:

1. It's probably so powerful it destroys it's own powertrain (but only if it's faster than proper european competitors)

2. It doesn't have decent feel towards driver when you drive it (especially if it's faster than european competitors)

3. It's too cheaply made (especially if european competitors are more expensive)

4. It's not in the same league than proper european supercars (especially if it's as fast as they are)

5. It's not for everyday driving (especially if european competitors are slower)

9. It does not have a quality feel and presence like Porsche (But isn't that great!)

10. I wouldn't waste my money on anything as cheap as ZR1 (Well, fair argument, I have nothing to complain, so please buy a supercar instead)

Hogwash! Sorry to say... typical "small" euro-thinking.

500-600 ft lb of TQ from 2200-6400 rpm - that's a lot of " area under the curve " like an AMG twin turbo V12 vehicle has , but 1000-1500 lbs lighter

2009 ZR-1 will be sold for only 1 to 2 years. The next gen Corvette will replace it then...and that new Vette's Z06 version will get a new 7.0 liter DOHC V8 that revs to high hell and makes more power than the 2009 ZR-1 does but without using a supercharger or turbocharger.

Merry Xmas!

Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    Pekka_Perkeles said:

Hmmmm, I think you should ask Santa to bring you a new Irony Detector for Christmas.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    ADias said:
    Quote:
    Pekka_Perkeles said:

Hmmmm, I think you should ask Santa to bring you a new Irony Detector for Christmas.

Absolutely! I think irony is something much closer to us witty Europeans .

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    2009 ZR-1 will be sold for only 1 to 2 years. The next gen Corvette will replace it then...and that new Vette's Z06 version will get a new 7.0 liter DOHC V8 that revs to high hell and makes more power than the 2009 ZR-1 does but without using a supercharger or turbocharger.

Merry Xmas!

So you are saying that if the competition does nothing until 2011 Chevrolet will have a winner, right?

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Merry Xmas!

Are you sure about 7.0L? I would think they might lower the displacement size for fuel efficiency reasons. Also pretty stressful on internals to rev a 427 "Hell High", but it sounds exciting

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Merry Xmas!

So you are saying that if the competition does nothing until 2011 Chevrolet will have a winner, right?

Your right. By then, Porsche base 911 will have 435hp. 2011 Corvette owners will run to the hills in fear.

Grant, the next Gen Corvette 7 liter engine will in all likelyhood have a advanced displacement on demand system
    (4/6/8 cylinder use mode), variable valve timing, variable rate intake runners,direct injection and whatever else Seimens and Bosch are licensing to them. At idle / low throttle it will likely use only 4 or 6 cylinders.

It will rev to High Hell and make hp/torque enough to flatten your eyeballs. Think of the number 7 and maybe add at least some zeros after that for its output

GM Product czar Lutz's stated benchmark for the new 7 litre's rev-ability and "lungs" as some say is the Enzo/599 engine and drastically exceeding it in hp and torque.

The current rear suspension, front suspension, traction control system and steering rack will be history , but the brake hardware you see on the ZR-1 will be used. The ZR-1 is really more of a model placemat/halo/model cycle end performance special edition.

The next 'vette Z06 will be a seriously serious machine and all Lutz - instead of the what the current model is, whose development and life cycle plans were charted before he came onboard at GM.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    The current rear suspension, front suspension, traction control system and steering rack will be history , but the brake hardware you see on the ZR-1 will be used. The ZR-1 is really more of a model placemat/halo/model cycle end performance special edition.

Sounds very cool, indeed. So, I guess pushrod motor, transverse leaf spring suspension and Magnasteer power steering are all history? Corvette has always had a leg up on the European competition value-wise and the recent Dollar to Euro trend seems to give them a further advantage in the future for the domestic market (although they probably need to spend alot on outsourcing from Bosch and Brembo)...

The pushrod motor will be history.The transverse leaf spring rear suspension system will be gone as well. The next steering rack will definitly have more and finer teeth in its rack and pinion gears. Lutz has a long list of areas to improve for the next gen Corvettes. You will be amazed as to how far he will distance the next ones from Corvettes today and the past.

And dont be surprised if Corvette launches a second smaller model either.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    RossN said:

- I wouldn't be so quick with that. GM produces reliavble engines and has run the the LS9 engine to over 100 hours so far at "WOT" (wide open throttle) testing and 6800 dyno hours. All GM engines are certified to 100k miles. All GM engine are usually in a "mild" state of tune for Emission purposes. For instance, the LS7 in the current Z06 is rated at 505 SAE hp, with a good tune only the power usually is raised roughly 30-40hp.

- The ZR1 comes with the MSRC (Magnetic Select Ride Control) for it's suspension. This is made by Dephi, a US company and Ferrari currently licenses this technology on its 599GTB model, so it can't be that shabby. The MRSC suspension will offer comfort and track settings.

- That is a subjective comment. Rattles and interior noises are not common on current Z06's and Corvettes. The ZR1 will is engineered to go to 100k miles with no issues. This includes track time, of course comsumables will need replacing. The ZR1 is not stripped model, it will still have luxury and offer a upgraded leather package for the interior as an option, nav, HUD (heads up display), etc.

- You may be right, it may surpass most European supercars.

- Wrong, see #2.

- As with everything, customizing is always an option. Something European customers may not be used to. American Tuner packages can often be MUCH less expensive. Sometimes 1/4 the price of say upgrading a Ferrari while offering no decrease in driviability and reliability.

- ? Okay, raise it if fear consumes you.

- Some people love Blondes, some Brunettes. The more you limit your perceptions of what is "perfect", the more you will miss out on what Life has to offer. Btw, ferrari doesn't style most of their cars, so give credit to the Design House, not Ferrari. Yes, the ZR1 has a some odd styling elements like the hood, but the aftermarket will respond quickly with other options.

- ?, Subjective.

- See #8.

Ross, Pekka was just kidding, tongue-in-cheek, you know?

No worries, being "gearhead" brothers (no matter what are favorite Marque) binds us all on one level or another. All I have to say is it is a glorious time to have so many great Supercars to choose from.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Grant, the next Gen Corvette 7 liter engine will in all likelyhood have a advanced displacement on demand system
    (4/6/8 cylinder use mode), variable valve timing, variable rate intake runners,direct injection and whatever else Seimens and Bosch are licensing to them. At idle / low throttle it will likely use only 4 or 6 cylinders.

It will rev to High Hell and make hp/torque enough to flatten your eyeballs. Think of the number 7 and maybe add at least some zeros after that for its output

GM Product czar Lutz's stated benchmark for the new 7 litre's rev-ability and "lungs" as some say is the Enzo/599 engine and drastically exceeding it in hp and torque.

The next 'vette Z06 will be a seriously serious machine and all Lutz - instead of the what the current model is, whose development and life cycle plans were charted before he came onboard at GM.

Jim,

You may have to change your Forum name soon if you keep this up.

I never thought of myself as being a "vette guy" being a German car freak, but after driving my first C6 model in '05 I promptly slushed every bit of doubt down the drain.

And the Z06 that replaced my regular C6, just fantastic, make me smile like a school boy everytime I floor it.

Ross if you gave me your new Corvette Z06, I'd just sell it and build a replica Porsche 904 with a screamer flat 6.

Id rather drive 1400lbs with 300hp than 3200lbs with 500hp.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Merry Xmas!

Not if the new CAFE law goes into effect. Radical environmentalism at it's worst. I saw an article where they said ZR1 will be gone as fast as it came. It's so funny how they want to ban cars that still get 20mpg, yet everyone I know owns an SUV that get 15mpg or worse.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Ross if you gave me your new Corvette Z06, I'd just sell it and build a replica Porsche 904 with a screamer flat 6.

Id rather drive 1400lbs with 300hp than 3200lbs with 500hp.

You got to love light weight cars!

I like my A/C, HUD, Heated Seats, etc. so I'll keep the Z a little longer.

Besides, it should have 620hp next week. 720 hp with a 100shot shot of nitrous for those "special moments".

Quote:
    95jersey said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Merry Xmas!

Not if the new CAFE law goes into effect. Radical environmentalism at it's worst. I saw an article where they said ZR1 will be gone as fast as it came. It's so funny how they want to ban cars that still get 20mpg, yet everyone I know owns an SUV that get 15mpg or worse.

Funny how those pesky SUV's escape the higher standards. IMHO that is where the main focus of new higher mpg standards should be aimed at.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:And dont be surprised if Corvette launches a second smaller model either.

Jim - what are the odds that one of the new Vettes is mid-engined (rear mid that is)?

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:And dont be surprised if Corvette launches a second smaller model either.

Jim - what are the odds that one of the new Vettes is mid-engined (rear mid that is)?

I think that the odds are close to 0. I just got Matt DeLorenzo's excellent "The Corvette Dynasty" book, where he writes about several proposals for a rear-mid-engine design throughout various Corvette generations. It never happened.

The C6 (as you say) is already a mid-engine design. It is so well balanced and so practical (big trunk) that it does not make sense to change the layout.

Quote:
    nberry said:

Your right. By then, Porsche base 911 will have 435hp. 2011 Corvette owners will run to the hills in fear.

When you say they'll "run to the hills" are you saying that high gas consumption will rule out the option of driving to the hills?

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:

One likely will be front engine and about the size the current Opel/Pontiac roadster and will offer a V8. They are installing the manufacturing machinery to build them now at their Bowling Green plant. It appears that Corvette intends to build a restyled/improved performance version of the Pontiac/Opel roadster for a second model.

The next gen "standard size" Corvette could offer AWD even with a front/mid engine layout. They have the basic parts on the shelf from Cadillac to try it if they wanted to.

I doubt they will build a rear mid engine Corvette unless they have plans for a third model to be positioned in a completely new to them $$$$$ price range.

Corvette currently sells about 50,000 sports cars a year. A new second smaller Corvette model could grow that in the US and also get them some new brand positioning and sales in foreign markets also.

A new small 435hp Corvette versus the Boxster/Z4 would be interesting for European shoppers Im sure.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:

One likely will be front engine and about the size the current Opel/Pontiac roadster and will offer a V8. They are installing the manufacturing machinery to build them now at their Bowling Green plant. It appears that Corvette intends to build a restyled/improved performance version of the Pontiac/Opel roadster for a second model.

The next gen "standard size" Corvette could offer AWD even with a front/mid engine layout. They have the basic parts on the shelf from Cadillac to try it if they wanted to.

I doubt they will build a rear mid engine Corvette unless they have plans for a third model to be positioned in a completely new to them $$$$$ price range.

Corvette currently sells about 50,000 sports cars a year. A new second smaller Corvette model could grow that in the US and also get them some new brand positioning and sales in foreign markets also.

A new small 435hp Corvette versus the Boxster/Z4 would be interesting for European shoppers Im sure.

The Corvette would find a good reception in Europe just by improving interior materials and styling IMO. No need to produce a whole new model.

bang for the buck!!! but i can't cope with the looks

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:

The Corvette would find a good reception in Europe just by improving interior materials and styling IMO. No need to produce a whole new model.

Come one now. No matter what the Corvette does it will not be well recieved by many. I mean the Z06 laid down a time at the Ring 2cnd only to the Carerra GT at the time. It was faster than nearly everything but what kind of reception did it get here? The ZR1 will likely do the same. Decimate the competition just as they do at Le Mans. And how will it be recieved here? WIth the same predictable snobbery that american cars always get. Sure GM and Dodge could produce a car much better than any Lambo or Ferrari if hey wanted to. They have the resources but that's not their vision. They want their cars accesible to the average guy. And thank god for that. Those of us poor people who can only afford to buy sub 125K cars have a place to go for world beating, record smashing bad ass sports cars. I sold my Ferrari so I could drive my Z06 every day and not care and it was the best car move I have made.

Quote:
    355Spider said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:

Come one now. No matter what the Corvette does it will not be well recieved by many. I mean the Z06 laid down a time at the Ring 2cnd only to the Carerra GT at the time. It was faster than nearly everything but what kind of reception did it get here? The ZR1 will likely do the same. Decimate the competition just as they do at Le Mans. And how will it be recieved here? WIth the same predictable snobbery that american cars always get. Sure GM and Dodge could produce a car much better than any Lambo or Ferrari if hey wanted to. They have the resources but that's not their vision. They want their cars accesible to the average guy. And thank god for that. Those of us poor people who can only afford to buy sub 125K cars have a place to go for world beating, record smashing bad ass sports cars. I sold my Ferrari so I could drive my Z06 every day and not care and it was the best car move I have made.

Really? I would have no reservations about buying a ZR-1 with the same interior quality as a Ferrari or a 997 with full leather. The Corvette is a great sports car and I don't think you'd get much kinder looks here by driving around in a Porsche .

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690466 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409737 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255993 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235271 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65645 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858398 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774675 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM