Crown

Board: BMW M Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: BMW X6 official pics and pressrelease

temm, I can understand the rationale for taking the CLS over the E-class, but driving fun? The X6 is a behemoth, wider than the X5. It just seems like a wannabe trend setter to me.

It will be worth just cause of the new V8 biturbo engine.
    The new king is born.
    550 with this baby will be the best sedan by far!

Quote:
    Crash said:
    temm, I can understand the rationale for taking the CLS over the E-class, but driving fun? The X6 is a behemoth, wider than the X5. It just seems like a wannabe trend setter to me.

I agree, this car is a piece of ... I wonder who might buy it

Husbands whose wives abuse them? Surely getting shafted by paying more for less is better than getting pummeled to death with a rolling pin, just because they skimped on their wives' transportation .

Markus and Crash!! please be carefull with your comments - maybe I will buy one! I'm not 100% sure but I like the car.

AM

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

IMO it never really maked sense to buy a SUV anyway. It was some emotional thing -- buyers wanted to appear mighty and to be different, not driving around in some usual limousine/estate. It worked fine some years ago when the X5 was new, but nowadays IMHO to drive around in e.g. an A8 is elegant avantgarde, while Q7/X5/ML/RR/Cayenne are on every corner.

BMW tried to invent the next new cool thing for the bored SUV target audience. It probably would have worked if the X6 would look great, but somehow it does look ridiculous.

Quote:
    Crash said:
    The X6 is a behemoth, wider than the X5. It just seems like a wannabe trend setter to me.

And the CLS is not a wannabe trendsetter
    But it is of course a marketing reason for this as well, Mercedes "invented" the four-door coupe, and now BMW had to find a new niche and "invented" the SUV Coupe.

I can see people who want a vehicle that is good to drive - for a SUV - byuing the X6. But I agree that SUV and driving fun is not the ideal combo. The car I want to see is the new 8-series, based on the CS Concept, with the new twin-turbo and 4wd system, now THAT will a (family) car! And maybe the Panamera, if the looks improve dramatically with the camo off

Hey I may buy this one day! It is a good family car in my opinion.

Quote:
    mumbasic said:
    Markus and Crash!! please be carefull with your comments - maybe I will buy one! I'm not 100% sure but I like the car.

AM

Uppps

What a beautiful car this X6 is

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

IMO it never really maked sense to buy a SUV anyway. It was some emotional thing -- buyers wanted to appear mighty and to be different, not driving around in some usual limousine/estate. It worked fine some years ago when the X5 was new, but nowadays IMHO to drive around in e.g. an A8 is elegant avantgarde, while Q7/X5/ML/RR/Cayenne are on every corner.

BMW tried to invent the next new cool thing for the bored SUV target audience. It probably would have worked if the X6 would look great, but somehow it does look ridiculous.

Absolutely agree Also, the size and weight of these cars reduces performance and increases fuel consumption. The same engine in a limo and in a SUV results in massively different acceleration, top-speed and mpg. I guess I am not a typical SUV customer

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    mumbasic said:

AM

Uppps

I'm sure BMW is quite delighted to hear that there's at least one potential buyer!!

ihr könnt mich mal

..... zum Bier einladen und meinen X6 bewundern

AM

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    IMO it never really maked sense to buy a SUV anyway. It was some emotional thing -- buyers wanted to appear mighty and to be different, not driving around in some usual limousine/estate. It worked fine some years ago when the X5 was new [...]

Apart from that, an SUV simply offers a completely different driving sensation than anything else. In the past, you had different marques with different models and different philosophies. You could differentiate a BMW and Porsche from a Mercedes and Bentley within a second, both in terms of design and driving character. A Citroen 2CV would not be successfully hitting the market nowadays. SUVs still do...

The X6 is about as useful or -less as any other SUV, or any coupe based on a five-seater limousine. Who complains about it? As I mentioned earlier, the car's unique (read: incognisable) appearance will keep onlookers attracted for quite some time.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    mumbasic said:

AM

Uppps

Absolutely! Now that I am well rested and in a good mood, the car appears to be fantastic!

Sorry, mumbasic!

I an first on the list for one at my dealer and it suits me perfectly. I still would like to see it in the metal, but it's looking good thus far.

For people like me who always choose the most sporting of SUVs the X6 makes sense, although its not perfect. I appreciate BMW's efforts to create an even more dynamic drive, I rarely ever carry more than 4 people and yet it is perfectly suitable for the trekking, long cross-european family journeys and the multi-purpose applications that I have used my previous SUVs for. I go deep off-road along muddy tracks, I venture down unmade roads unafraid of what terrain I might find and I find them a real boon in snowy conditions when fitted with the right tyres. I also live out in the country where we often find our roads impassable to normal cars.

There is nothing compromised about it compared to the X5 (for me) as the space it looses over the X5, I never used anyway.

Quote:
    MKSGR said:

Absolutely agree Also, the size and weight of these cars reduces performance and increases fuel consumption. The same engine in a limo and in a SUV results in massively different acceleration, top-speed and mpg. I guess I am not a typical SUV customer

Just think of the X6 as a jacked-up CL, just with better handling

Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Well, it's safer, easier to see the traffick from and can get you trough bad and snowed down roads other vehicles can't. I still think most people buy it as a more premium looking estate, but that doesn't mean theres no logical reasons for having one .

For me the reason is that same as I have used to buy my last six SUVs, namely its go-anywhere, do-anything nature. The X6 looses out to the X5 in terms of absolute versatility (less seats, less commodious trunk), but it provides more than enough in this respect for me. It gains with a lower CofG, better dynamics and a new and fresh style.

Price wise we will not know the absolute premium until we compare the X5 and X6 spec/options side by side.

Quote:
    elysium said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

Well, it's safer, easier to see the traffick from and can get you trough bad and snowed down roads other vehicles can't. I still think most people buy it as a more premium looking estate, but that doesn't mean theres no logical reasons for having one .

elysium, I can see the rationale for having an SUV in Norway, but the rest of the world? Many of these cars NEVER see snow, nor are they driven off-road.

Here is ze German X6 pricelist:
    http://www.bmw.de/de/de/newvehicles/x6/x6/2007/allfacts/downloads/_shared/pdf/x6_preisliste.pdf

Our Californian friends will be happy about this option, 21" wheels in chrome:
    Sternspeiche 128, verchromt
    10Jx21 mit 285/35 R21 W vorn
    11γJx21 mit 325/30 R21 W hinten
    Nur in Verbindung mit Nachrüstsatz Radlaufverbreiterungen 5.250,- (euro)

Can't find anything about radar cruise-control (yet) in this pricelist, even though it was mentioned in the pressrelease

I wish they would make this into a wallpaper (taken from the X6 launch movie):

So who's going for red then? I'm tempted, either by that, Deep Sea Blue or Space Grey.

Not sure how many they can sell in the US w/o a 5-seater option.
    You can bet that will happpen second production year after dealer / buyer feedback.

Quote:
    temm said:
    I wish they would make this into a wallpaper (taken from the X6 launch movie):

I think it actually looks good in that picture. Just can't get over the reduced functionality though .

---pricey!
    No price on the 5.0 version yet?
    Any info when they plan a 550 with this engine?

IMO we won't see this engine in the 5-series until the new 5-series (F10) appears in 2009, but I hope I'm wrong

Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    elysium said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

elysium, I can see the rationale for having an SUV in Norway, but the rest of the world? Many of these cars NEVER see snow, nor are they driven off-road.

I doubt many SUVs see off-road in Norway either. But they are still as a concept safer than a sedan/estate, and easier to get an overview of traffick from. And when you've gotten stuck in the snow ones with a family filled car on your way to the cabin in -20C, you usually choose to make the safe choice for your next car .

Quote:
    elysium said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:
    Quote:
    elysium said:
    Quote:
    zzboba said:
    Quote:
    MKSGR said:
    Quote:
    Crash said:

I doubt many SUVs see off-road in Norway either. But they are still as a concept safer than a sedan/estate, and easier to get an overview of traffick from. And when you've gotten stuck in the snow ones with a family filled car on your way to the cabin in -20C, you usually choose to make the safe choice for your next car .

That's why I said Norway - for the snow. I absolutely agree, such cars are truly useful if you use their capabilities. Sadly, most SUVs here are urban warriors, terrorizing curbs and the pedestrians on them, instead of being driven in the snow. Regarding the X6, I do like its shape, but it just seems so pointless to have a 2+2 SUV, wouldn't you agree?

I really don't see why an SUV is only uniquely suitable for Norway.

I live in the UK. I have never bought an SUV for how it makes me look, nor for being able to harass other road users.

In my experience of owning every type of car, the reason I choose to own an SUV covers a variety of functionally valid reasons;

1) Most SUVs take up no greater road space than a mid-sized family estate car. They are wider, but still not as wide as an A8/7er/S-Class and they are significantly shorter. I find limousine class cars just far to big and too much hassle to park here in the UK.

2) We also go skiing at least twice a year, driving to the French Alps full of family and luggage. I would not even attempt that in a luxury limo, and with best intentions I could not take our Audi RS4 recently - it was not possible to fit snow chains to it without a complete change of wheels and even then when loaded the wheelarches would quickly become clogged with snow. It was useless compared to my AMG ML63.

3) I live away from any cities/towns and my first SUV was bought after I was stranded in floods and had to be rescued by helicopter. I was driving a 5-series BMW, and I watched SUVs and 4x4s drive past whilst I became stuck. Most BMW saloons breath via an intake in the wheelarch, whereas the X5 for example breathes at the 'top' of its grille. So it is designed to wade through 'much' deeper water.

4) I have always found it more useful to load tall square objects (such as a TV) rather than long thin objects, which are better suited for estate cars, so I find the SUV's load-space more practical.

5) As has been already mentioned, its easier to see over hedges and road furniture and therefore make safer overtaking moves. I notice the difference by comparison when I drive my sportscars.

6) What struck me most about SUVs when I first bought one, is that by being higher up and having more headroom I found myself relaxing more on a long journey and being less eager to drive fast. This experience is shared by the rest of my family, we don't mind spending 10-12 hours in the car, whereas when we owned large saloons and limos, despite them being roomy they still felt more claustrophobic than an SUV and became cluttered inside on longer journeys.

7) Due to the increased ride height and better vision I find myself more comfortable exploring traks and roads that are not major roads. If I need to turn around due to a blockage on the path, or if the road becomes less suitable I don't immediately become concerned. I would if I was driving my RS4, or my old 7-series.

I could list many other reasons, but an SUV will remain a permanent fixture in my garage for very 'practical' reasons and has nothing to do with image/ego or stupidity.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780993 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442584 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263355 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261678 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85817 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5915 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881437 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818933 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM