Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

The Cayman's engine does use dry-sump system!

According to official Porsche website, the Cayman and Cayman S engines do use dry-sump lubrication system!

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/cayman/cayman/indetail/drive/

Re: The Cayman's engine does use dry-sump system!

Ah, the good old "integrated dry sump". Marketing-speak for "wet sump".

Only the three models using the engine based on the air-cooled one have dry sump lubrication. i.e. turbo GT2 GT3. This engine is much more durable with none of the RMS/liners/intermediate shaft problems of the more mundane engines.

I wish I could agree with you on the dry sump thing, but the integrated dry sump really isn't a true dry sump. The oil IS stored in the bottom of the crank case, making the sump wet, not dry.

In a true dry sump system, the oil will be stored seperately from the engine, usually in a tank. There will be a feed bump that delivers oil to the engine and then one or more scavenge pumps that return the oil to the sump. The 987, 996, 997 models store the oil in the crank case, sort of, in an extended sump. There are scavenge pumps (2) that return oil from the heads to the sump. So it's has elements of a dry sump, but it's not really a dry sump.

The benefit of having a dry sump are:

1. Oil can never reach the crank shaft. When seeing strong lateral forces, like from aggressive turns on the track, the G-Forces can make the oil shift or move. A dry sump engine can work upside down, sideways, with any G-forces and this is not a problem.

2. By removing the oil from the crankcase, you reduce the contanmination caused by blow-by.

3. By removing the oil from the crankcase, you can more easily cool the oil and keep it cool.

BTW there are aftermarket drysump kits available (in Germany they charge you about 1,800 Euro for it). Though I have no clue whether the kit is reliable.

Quote:
    GatorBite said:
    The benefit

Furthermore, by positioning the oil reservoir outside of the engine, the engine floorplan can be of smaller dimension. Usually the engine and its center of gravity can be positioned lower inside the car therefore.

Quote:
    BlueApple said:
    According to official Porsche website, the Cayman and Cayman S engines do use dry-sump lubrication system!

Thats exactly what they want you to believe. However, everyone know's it's not true.

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    Quote:
    BlueApple said:

Thats exactly what they want you to believe. However, everyone know's it's not true.

Well, not everyone. Not the original poster and not myself either when I first bought a 2002 996 off the showroom floor after reading the window sticker claiming "Integrated Dry Sump". It is very dishonest marketing

Quote:
    GatorBite said:
    I wish I could agree with you on the dry sump thing, but the integrated dry sump really isn't a true dry sump. The oil IS stored in the bottom of the crank case, making the sump wet, not dry.

In a true dry sump system, the oil will be stored seperately from the engine, usually in a tank. There will be a feed bump that delivers oil to the engine and then one or more scavenge pumps that return the oil to the sump. The 987, 996, 997 models store the oil in the crank case, sort of, in an extended sump. There are scavenge pumps (2) that return oil from the heads to the sump. So it's has elements of a dry sump, but it's not really a dry sump.

The benefit of having a dry sump are:

1. Oil can never reach the crank shaft. When seeing strong lateral forces, like from aggressive turns on the track, the G-Forces can make the oil shift or move. A dry sump engine can work upside down, sideways, with any G-forces and this is not a problem.

2. By removing the oil from the crankcase, you reduce the contanmination caused by blow-by.

3. By removing the oil from the crankcase, you can more easily cool the oil and keep it cool.

Euuuuhhhh..... I think GatorBite is overstating things.

a) Wrt blowby contamination: most of those gases end up being absorbed by the oil anyway (they're not going to be released into the atmosphere...) Now, true, there is much more oil volume in the dry sump system, so it takes muchlonger to contaminate that volume of oil to the same degree.

b) Concerning running the engine at any angle: you're still relying on scavenge pumps, and those have to be positioned somehow, somewhere, based on engine orientation.

The fact is, this is not black or white; as usual there are gray areas. The presence of scavenge pumps moves the system away from a traditional wet sump system that relies on gravity to return the oil to the sump, and then uses a single pressure pump to feed the motor.

Kamal (MA)

KMM,

Actually, I agree with you. The Benefits of a full dry sump system are actually minimal. I was just pointing out the 'theoretical' benefits. The truth is, the dry sump was much more necessary back in the air cooled days when the oil was a major cooling component.

Ferdie brings up a good benefit that I didn't mention. But that is also a theoretcial benefit. The placement of the engine in the 987, 986, 996 and 997 is not higher because of the sump. The diameter of the flywheel/clutch assembly is more the limiting factor in how low they can get the engine.

Here's a real scenario for you. I own many vehicles. Let's compare two of them. Vehilce A is Water Cooled and has an 'Integrated Dry Sump' oil system. Vehicle B is Air Cooled and has a 'True Dry Sump' oil system. Which would you say is more desirable? Which is more sporty? Which would you rather have?

OK, so here it is. Vehicle A is my 2007 Cayman S. Vehicle B is my 1999 Harley Davidson Sportster 1200. Are your answers still the same?

What bothers me most is the INCREASINGLY misleading marketing being implemented on this particular issue.

It's bad enough that PAG used the term "integrated dry sump" to describe what is really just a wet sump system.

However, from the link below, PCNA seems to have gond one further. There is no mention of "integrated" anymore. It just says "Dry sump lubrication" and then it goes on to describe the operation of the oil scavenging mechanism. In other words, it's still a wet sump system as always.

This marketing is downright misleading.

I bet the owner's manual for this Cayman still advises against using slick tyres due to the high lateral G forces they can generate since the engine would still get starved of oil.

If this were really a dry sump lubrication system, such a warning would be entirely inappropriate.

PAG/PCNA, c'mon. This is a material misrepresentation to those who might think of using their car on a track.

The sensible route is to ignore the marketing and only use street tyres if driving a Cayman on a track. With street tyres, the oil starvation issue should not arise.

Quote:
    easy_rider911 said:
    However, from the link below, PCNA seems to have gond one further. There is no mention of "integrated" anymore. It just says "Dry sump lubrication" and then it goes on to describe the operation of the oil scavenging mechanism.

To make it even worse they are claiming that it's "race-proven technology"

Strange that in the German version PAG uses the headline "Integrierter Trockensumpf" (integrated drysump) instead and doesn't dare to claim that it's "race-proven".

It is a shame. The marketing angle is questionable...

So, what models have an integrated dry sump? 986, 996, 987, 997. Am I missing any?

It looks like the 993 was the last to have a true dry sump system, apart from the GT3, Turbo and GT2 that is. But look how far the engines have come otherwise.

We got 4 valves per cylinder, Vario Cam Plus and Liquid Cooling, but we lost the true dry sump.

Quote:
    GatorBite said:
    It is a shame. The marketing angle is questionable...

So, what models have an integrated dry sump? 986, 996, 987, 997. Am I missing any?

That's correct. All the sportscars that cost less than $100k have a wet sump (Carrera GT has dry sump too).

Prior to the 996, EVERY 911 had a dry sump (1964-1998) and could be driven on the racetrack with racing slick tires (or on banked tracks that can cause oil starvation with wet sump)

While it is dissapointing that we no longer have a true dry-sump motor on the Carrera line, I know of at least one fellow in my PCA Region who races his 1999 996 with racing slicks even at Daytona and has had no issues whatsoever. His car is all out race prepped but the motor is stock, except for the questionable Fabspeed cold air intake kit. If I am not mistaken, his motor is over 60,000 miles now. Another PCA member I know also has a 1999 996 fully race prepped and has over 20,000 miles of track time on it with PCA racing. I don't think the wet sump of the M96 or M97 engines is much of an issue. Paul Frère in his book says that he thinks the reason why the GT1 derived engine was kept for the racing cars and the GT3, GT2 and Turbo is because Porsche wanted to keep a proven design, of course, and he did also say that the M96 motor is not suitable for racing (now, that gets me a bit mad since 911s before the 996s were fitted with the same engines albeit with different states of tune according to the specific application). That doesn't mean that the new engines are all bad as I read an article about Synergy racing with their X51 997S and they think the M97 engine and transmission might even last two seasons of full out racing, whereas (and don't quote me on the time interval I am going to write here because I am going on memory) a GT3 Cup motor would need a rebuild after 55 hours.

I was reading my service manual for the 1987 Carrera 3.2 I also own (besides my X51 997S) and on paragraph 3 it states that Porsche is not responsible for warranty issues involving the vehicle used for competitive events. I understand this disclaimer is not like the one on the 996s and 997s which specifically talks about the fitting of racing tires and oil starvation, but it is a disclaimer nonetheless. And we all know that 3.2 Carreras have a true dry sump system.

I think GT3 Cup motors are good for 100 hours (of all-out racing). That's more than 2 seasons for most race classes (typical race is an hour or less 15 days a year or so, right? + qualifying + hard practice). I think they'd go even longer, if not for the Titanium Conrods which have a finite life-cycle...

Also, the Cup cars run at 8,400 rpm, whereas the M96/M97 motors only run to 7,200 rpm - makes an enormous difference. If the GT3 was shifted at 7,200 rpm, it would run almost forever without a rebuild...

You're missing my point. I am not saying the M96 or M97 motors are superior to the GT3, as that would be absurd. I was just stating that, even with the lack of a true dry sump system or not being developed for racing, the M96 or M97 are not all bad and perhaps better than most are willing to give them credit.

Quote:
    cibergypsy said:
    You're missing my point. I am not saying the M96 or M97 motors are superior to the GT3, as that would be absurd. I was just stating that, even with the lack of a true dry sump system or not being developed for racing, the M96 or M97 are not all bad and perhaps better than most are willing to give them credit.

OK, but don't we need to compare them to something to understand their relative "goodness"?

Are they as good as a BMW M-series motor? No, they make less power and torque even though they have more displacement (BMW 3.2L makes 333 hp and 269 ft-lbs of torque compared to the Cayman's 3.4 which makes 295hp and ~250ft-lbs).

I think they are pretty good motors, but I don't think they are exceptional when compared to other Porsche motors, nor those of the cheaper competition. I think Porsche can and should do better for what they are charging. I think the M96/M97 are significantly responsible for making Porsche the most profitable car company on Earth. That's ok, but I felt like a bit of sucker for being a part of that. I'd like to get more for my money and my next Porsche will likely be a used GT3 for that reason...

I agree Grant. When the original Boxster came out in 1996 it was head and shoulders above everything else, but unfortunately Porsche sat back on their laurels, the bean-counters that seem to make every decision at Porsche watched the money roll in and took their eyes off the competition that has caught up and literally overtaken in the process. The 987 replacement for the 986 was not nearly enough of a step forward, mainly because of the 911 sacred cow,which itself in 997 form though a great car isn't enough of an advance over the 996.

If they are not careful, the arrogance and complacency will ultimately cost them dear. Am I sounding like nberry?

Quote:
    dreamcar said:
    I agree Grant. When the original Boxster came out in 1996 it was head and shoulders above everything else, but unfortunately Porsche sat back on their laurels, the bean-counters that seem to make every decision at Porsche watched the money roll in and took their eyes off the competition that has caught up and literally overtaken in the process. The 987 replacement for the 986 was not nearly enough of a step forward, mainly because of the 911 sacred cow,which itself in 997 form though a great car isn't enough of an advance over the 996.

If they are not careful, the arrogance and complacency will ultimately cost them dear. Am I sounding like nberry?

No, you really need to work on your spelling and grammar.

Nick manages to make a lot more errors.

Quote:
    Grant: That's correct. All the sportscars that cost less than $100k have a wet sump (Carrera GT has dry sump too).

Prior to the 996, EVERY 911 had a dry sump (1964-1998) and could be driven on the racetrack with racing slick tires (or on banked tracks that can cause oil starvation with wet sump)

Let's not forget that all of those prior engines were also air cooled. The last of them, the 993 engine, had a relatively short life span because of it's soft valve guides.

Quote:
    cybergypsy: While it is dissapointing that we no longer have a true dry-sump motor on the Carrera line, I know of at least one fellow in my PCA Region who races his 1999 996 with racing slicks even at Daytona and has had no issues whatsoever. His car is all out race prepped but the motor is stock, except for the questionable Fabspeed cold air intake kit. If I am not mistaken, his motor is over 60,000 miles now. Another PCA member I know also has a 1999 996 fully race prepped and has over 20,000 miles of track time on it with PCA racing. I don't think the wet sump of the M96 or M97 engines is much of an issue.

Good point. There are many race prepped cars running around on slicks pulling major G's on tracks and I've not once heard of one starving for oil. I have heard of engines ingesting oil through the breather during high G turns, but never heard of one starving for oil.

Quote:
    Grant: I think GT3 Cup motors are good for 100 hours (of all-out racing). That's more than 2 seasons for most race classes (typical race is an hour or less 15 days a year or so, right? + qualifying + hard practice).

Which is probably the real reason the GT-3 still gets the split case dry sump engine. It's far more rebuildable than the disposable M96/M97. If you're going to race a car, you're going to want to rebuild the engine often. The GT-3 motor tears down and goes back together much better than the M96/97.

Quote:
    Grant: Are they as good as a BMW M-series motor? No, they make less power and torque even though they have more displacement (BMW 3.2L makes 333 hp and 269 ft-lbs of torque compared to the Cayman's 3.4 which makes 295hp and ~250ft-lbs).

Exactly how are you measuring the 'Goodness' of an engine? I don't get it. Are you hanging that solely on hp/liter? That's not a very good test. There are many other characteristics of an engine that I would consider. Reliability, torque delivery, center of gravity, usability, etc.... Heck, by your measure we might as well install 2 stoke engines into our Porsches. The deliver far more horsepower per liter so they must be better. Right?

Quote:
    GatorBite said:Exactly how are you measuring the 'Goodness' of an engine? I don't get it. Are you hanging that solely on hp/liter? That's not a very good test. There are many other characteristics of an engine that I would consider. Reliability, torque delivery, center of gravity, usability, etc.... Heck, by your measure we might as well install 2 stoke engines into our Porsches. The deliver far more horsepower per liter so they must be better. Right?

How about the fact that the BMW M straight-6 motor makes more power and torque than the Cayman S (not just per liter - more period) and contains more technology (like individual throttle bodies for each cylinder like a 997 GT3RSR) for less money than the Cayman S?

Quote:
    GatorBite said:Let's not forget that all of those prior engines were also air cooled. The last of them, the 993 engine, had a relatively short life span because of it's soft valve guides.

Some (not all) 993 motors (as well as many 911 motors from 1984-1998) suffered premature valve guide wear. This was definitely a problem, but it was not indicative of a "short life span", since these motors could be rebuilt (or in this case receive a valve job and fixed).

An M96 motor that has internal issues has to be discarded - they are not rebuilt or repaired. Instead, you have to buy a new (or reman) motor. Those are the motors with the short life span. An aircooled motor meant that you could have a "matching numbers" car basically forever (replacable pistons/cylinders meant they were easy to upgrade to larger displacement and/or higher compression too). Not true with the wet-sump motors - they're basically disposable...

Quote:
    Grant said: How about the fact that they make more power and torque (not just per liter - more period) and contain more technology for less money?

First, I am assuming that we are talking about the 3.2L engine in the M4. Correct?

I still don't get it. To me, that doesn't make it a better engine. It makes it a more powerful engine, yes, but not necessarily better.

The BMW engine is a straight 6 with a top mounted head. A straight 6 has a very heavy crankshaft which makes it spin up more slowly. This package also makes for a very long engine that must be mounted in the front. That is a big negative to me. The high mounted head moves the center of gravity up above the axles, which acts as a big lever and contributes to body roll. Again a negative.

The BMW engine delivers it's peak horsepower at 7,900RPMs and it's peak torque at 4,900 RPMs. The Cayman engine delivers it's peak horsepower at 6,250 RPMs (1,650 earlier) and delivers peak torque from 4,400 - 6,000 RPMs. That makes the Cayman engine far more usable. Peak numbers stand for very little if it's not usable or you need to rev the crap out of it to get them.

But you're right. The BMW engine is more powerful at 330hp and 262 ft-lbs. So how is it then that the Cayman S is faster in every measure than the Z4M? (See attachment for comparison.)

Quote:
    Grant said: Some (not all) 993 motors (as well as many 911 motors from 1974-1998) suffered premature valve guide wear. This was definitely a problem, but it was not indicative of a "short life span", since these motors could be rebuilt (or in this case receive a valve job and fixed).

An M96 motor that has internal issues has to be discarded - they are not rebuilt or repaired. Instead, you have to buy a new (or reman) motor. Those are the motors with the short life span. An aircooled motor meant that you could have a "matching numbers" car basically forever (replacable pistons/cylinders meant they were easy to upgrade to larger displacement too). Not true with the wet-sump motors - they're basically disposable...

I came real close to buying a used 993. Before purchase I went to my local Porsche shop whom I had a 10 year relationship with. They told me about the 993 valve guides that were prone to early failure and o2 passages that were prone to clogging. In their estimation, it wasn't if but when the car would need a top end overhaul and in their experience that was between 60-80K miles. A comprehensive overhaul would cost $8,000 - $10,000. Guess what? You can buy a whole new M97 engine for that.

I see that having a 'number correct' car is important to you, and seeing that you own some rather old 911s I can understand why. But to me, and many others I suspect, I would rather have a completely new engine for $10K than an old one that's been rebuilt. Heck, why not bone up a little deeper and get an X-51?

I understand your point about the disposable engine, but the primary reason the engines are disposable is because they have been able to reduce their costs to below the cost of an overhaul. There is nothing preventing you from cracking one open and rebuilding one if the numbers are most important to you, it just isn't a cost effective solution when you consider you can get a new one for the same price. But it's not like they weld the case together or anything like that. All of the parts are available and the engines are rebuildable.

Wait a minute? Am I reading this right? Your signature says that you own a 73 Carrera RS 'Replica'? Does that mean your car does not have matching numbers? I thought this was somehow a big drawback. I'm confused.

Quote:
    GatorBite said:
    Wait a minute? Am I reading this right? Your signature says that you own a 73 Carrera RS 'Replica'? Does that mean your car does not have matching numbers? I thought this was somehow a big drawback. I'm confused.

It does have matching numbers. One of the great things about the old motors is that you can convert a 2.4L motor to a 2.7RS motor by changing pistons/cylinder and other parts. It actually has over 30hp more power than a real RS, even though it started as a 911T with 140hp

Quote:
    GatorBite said:I came real close to buying a used 993. Before purchase I went to my local Porsche shop whom I had a 10 year relationship with. They told me about the 993 valve guides that were prone to early failure and o2 passages that were prone to clogging. In their estimation, it wasn't if but when the car would need a top end overhaul and in their experience that was between 60-80K miles. A comprehensive overhaul would cost $8,000 - $10,000. Guess what? You can buy a whole new M97 engine for that.

I know an older M96 motor used to cost $10K, but they don't anymore and an M97 costs significantly more. With the Dollar vs. Euro getting weaker all the time, I think by the time a new M97 motor gets replaced, we could be looking at a MUCH higher number.

Fortunately for the 993 motors, the valve guides themselves cost almost nothing and the only real cost is labor (which is relatively static). A reasonable valve job from a Porsche specialist (not a dealer) on a 993 costs around $5k. That number is not likely to increase dramatically for many years.

Also, while there are certainly 993's that needed new guides by 60k, there are MANY that are way past 100k miles with no sign of wear at all.

I'm sure you can find a mechanic who will tell you it's inevitable that you'll need to replace the RMS on an M96, but we both know that it doesn't afflict nearly all the cars (just as valve guides are a much less common problem on 993's than is sometimes represented).

I've sincerely enjoyed chatting with you - you certainly know some Porsche history

That's got to be one fun damn car to drive. Too bad you're in CO. I'd love to ride shotgun on a drive.

My Porsche sales pro owns a '73 Carrera RS 3.0, completely original and mint. I've only seen pictures. I'd love to see it in person.

Quote:
    GatorBite said:
    That's got to be one fun damn car to drive. Too bad you're in CO. I'd love to ride shotgun on a drive.

My Porsche sales pro owns a '73 Carrera RS 3.0, completely original and mint. I've only seen pictures. I'd love to see it in person.

Thanks for the kind words - yes, it's a ton of fun. Let me know if you ever make it out West

Quote:
    Grant said:

I know an older M96 motor used to cost $10K, but they don't anymore and an M97 costs significantly more. With the Dollar vs. Euro getting weaker all the time, I think by the time a new M97 motor gets replaced, we could be looking at a MUCH higher number.

Fortunately for the 993 motors, the valve guides themselves cost almost nothing and the only real cost is labor (which is relatively static). A reasonable valve job from a Porsche specialist (not a dealer) on a 993 costs around $5k. That number is not likely to increase dramatically for many years.

Also, while there are certainly 993's that needed new guides by 60k, there are MANY that are way past 100k miles with no sign of wear at all.

I'm sure you can find a mechanic who will tell you it's inevitable that you'll need to replace the RMS on an M96, but we both know that it doesn't afflict nearly all the cars (just as valve guides are a much less common problem on 993's than is sometimes represented).

I've sincerely enjoyed chatting with you - you certainly know some Porsche history

I have also enjoyed the debate / chat.

I should clafify, the $8,000 - $10,000 price quoted to me for an overhaul included more than just a valve job. They said, "At that point, you might as well replace the cam chains, do this, that, and the other thing, etc...".

I do still have a special place in my Porsche heart for the 993s. In my opinion, they will go down in history as one of the great 911s.

BTW: Scott Slauson does X-51 conversions to 987s for $25,000 complete. I think the engine itself is around $16,000. If my Cayman S engine dies outside of my warranty, this is the way I'll go.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780482 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442471 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263272 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261584 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85737 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5889 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881317 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818531 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM