Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: New to me 991.1 GT3

lexs4:
    throt:
    Gnil:
    lexs4:
    Gnil:

lexs4 : Only do the photo report if you like doing it . I know how much time it takes to put up nice photos and comments on RT .... loads !!!!   And then you never know how much it is appreciated or not .

So do it mainly for yourself .... then I am sure a few of us will appreciate it kiss

throt:

lexs, whatever you have time to do, buddy. Pics so far are much appreciated kiss...

Thanks guys, while cumbersome, I do enjoy sharing the experience.  Also nice to have a record of what I've done.  Plan to finish wheel coating tonight.  Took a long time trying to get wheel grease under control last night.  Had to take one of the center locks apart to replace the snap ring that came off.  First time doing that.  No pictures as that grease gets everywhere...so many paper towels and gloves used.

Picture of your hands ? Smiley

lexs will have butchy big ones Smiley...

If he can undo those central nuts then he surely is one rugged individual..Smiley...

Smiley I'd show a picture of the other thing I built up this weekend but some folks on here may get  triggered by it.  Building it up made my sideburns and facial hair grow even bushier.  It was certainly a very manly weekend for me as I told one co-worker.

Smiley Smiley..Way to go, bud...Smiley

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Vauxhall Zafira 1.6 Exclusive pick up June 2013. ( Shit Box )

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

lexs4:
    Porker:

Hi Lex, I have the Dundon system on mine, the race headers in combination with the OEM muffler initially. I'm a very happy customer, unbelievable sound and a very useful weight saving. Just consider that the car will be VERY loud, some Rennteam members can confirm this. Smiley

It did break my OEM muffler after 12k km as the exhaust gases are coming through red hot so ordered their lifetime muffler as well, which has arrived here today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQL4CV0oHAg

You are one of the satisfied customers I used as a data point SmileyI currently have a center delete and while nice still a little tame for me.  I'll be getting the muffler as well.  Just waiting on some funds to free up!  Thanks for link.

The muffler just arrived, looks like a proper hulk of a muffler. Very sturdy thing. I've been assured it sounds better than it looks. The point of the thing is that it just last the lifetime of the car, on track, certainly feels up to the task. 

IMG_3702.jpg
    IMG_3699.jpg
    IMG_3701.jpg
    IMG_3703.jpg

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Certainly looks robust, doubt you will blow holes in it on the track as happens with the stock center muffler.  Looking forward to your thoughts after it's installed. kiss

Entering the home stretch, wheels are coated and can put them back on tomorrow so I can get back to driving.  First step was to line 'em up so could quickly move from wheel to wheel.  Then did one last wipe down with Prep to ensure a good bond with the SiO2 coating.  The towel should be clean at this point. In the pics it's just wet hence the dark areas.  One note with Prep and some Porsche paints.  After polishing I'd advise spraying into the towel and not on the paint especially on any plastic body panels.  There can be a weird staining effect where you will see the spray pattern and runs in the paint.  Totally freaked me out when I noticed it on my old 991S when prepping for coating it.  You then have to polish it out and just can't wipe it off.  My detailing mate confirmed he has seen the same issue on black Porsches after I asked him about it. cheeky

IMG_2566.jpgIMG_2568.jpgIMG_2569.jpg

Now, finally after all the work, actually coating the wheels.  First I coated the barrels using the applicator pad and a suede cloth.  Normally I prefer microfiber cloths instead of suede, but being wheels just used suede rather than waste a mf cloth.  Another strong word of warning, any time you use a ceramic or glass (SiO2) coating be wary of the top of the container.  The first pic is one of a piece of suede I used to wipe down the top after only one use.  The liquid was already crystallizing and if that got on the applicator suede it would likely scratch the paint you spent so much time correcting!

Anyway, wrap the suede or mf cloth around the applicator and then apply several drops to the cloth.  The first pass you need to use more than normal to 'prime' the cloth so to speak.  Then take the pad and swipe the barrel ensuring uniform coverage.

IMG_2588.jpgIMG_2572.jpgIMG_2573.jpgIMG_2575.jpg

I use a bright light to help me see where I have applied the coating.  It's very obvious where it is and is not.  After applying the coating just wipe off with a microfiber towel and again check with the light to make sure you've applied the coating everywhere.  Then move onto the next wheel's barrel.  I'll use a different applicator for the spokes/face of the wheel so better to keep coating the barrels rather than do one entire wheel at a time.  Again just trying to avoid having the coating start to harden prior to applying.

IMG_2574.jpg

For the spokes/face of the wheel I cut a traditional round applicator into a wedge.  This is much easier to handle and get into all the tight areas of the front of the wheel.  Same technique as I used for coating the brake calipers.  Be careful not to apply too much of the liquid to the applicator or it will run and might get where you don't want it.  Ceramic coatings are typically 2-3um when cured...you don't need to apply much product on the surface you are coating to get that thickness.  Wipe down again with a towel and inspect to ensure you don't have any obvious 'high' spots or spots without coating.  Typically you will have some areas without coating where the spokes meet the barrel of the wheel.

IMG_2579.jpgIMG_2584.jpgIMG_2585.jpg

Touch up any spots you see.  To get rid of high spots just apply a little more of the coating and then wipe off with your towel.  The purpose of doing this is for the 'self-cleaning' properties of the coating.  This makes it much easier and without the need of harsh chemicals to keep your wheels clean.  A side benefit, which may not come through in pics is that the coating adds a little more depth to the wheel.  Looks really nice to my eye.  1st pic is uncoated, 2nd is coated.

IMG_2583.jpgIMG_2582.jpg

Okay not quite done with my madness.  Since I had the applicators with a little product left on them decided to coat the center caps as well.  In the pic the top one is untreated.  Might as well protect them while we are at it.  The coating also helps to reduce the fading that has occurred over time.  And for the final touch added Perl to the inside sidewall of the tires indecision

IMG_2578.jpg

IMG_2592.jpg

Now just let the wheels cure for an hour.  After that you can apply another coating if you so wish or just mount back on the car.  I don't see the point in applying a 2nd coat so didn't.  To prevent water spotting, it's good to keep the wheels dry for ~24 hours or so.  Be sure to remember to throw away any applicator clothes or foam pads and towels you used.  Mine went into the bucket of greasy towels and gloves...Excited to get the wheels back on the car as I missed a nice day to drive to work.  With winter not too far away don't like missing any opportunity to drive the GT3.

IMG_2591.jpg

IMG_2586.jpg

Well that wraps this one up.  Prior to exhaust I foresee me removing a fair amount more of clear bra and correcting and coating those areas.  I'll try to capture that to continue the saga of my GT3.

Wow,,, the rims look super clean. Some great tips and pointers too. Your going to remove protection film?, that’ll be interesting. Your GT3 must be so pleased to have you as an owner indecision...Love the way your space is kept, all cleaning products lined up, immaculate working area blush...

i bet you help the Mrs with the housework as well. I bet the house is spotless.indecision...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

throt:

Wow,,, the rims look super clean. Some great tips and pointers too. Your going to remove protection film?, that’ll be interesting. Your GT3 must be so pleased to have you as an owner indecision...Love the way your space is kept, all cleaning products lined up, immaculate working area blush...

i bet you help the Mrs with the housework as well. I bet the house is spotless.indecision...

Thanks man Smiley, well let's just say it's pretty clear where my priorities lie Smiley  The rest of the house wishes I cared as much about it as the garage Smiley

On the PPF, yes some of it needs to be replaced and some of it I just want off.  So once it starts snowing here I'll remove the pieces on the A pillar, small strip on roof, hood, and maybe front wings.  That will give me chance to correct the paint that's under it and fill in some of the paint chips.  I'll get the hood and front wing pieces replaced when I take it in for it's spring service.  My buddy and I plan to replace the rear quarter panel pieces ourselves.  I've never done any work with PPF so should be an interesting experience.

there is no stopping you indecision

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS 

Gnil, lexs is a breath of fresh air for the forum.kiss...Rennteam is now a body hair and gadget forum indecision...

Looking forward to the much debated PPF and the removal of it.. If , you have time, lexs indecision..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Gnil:
    there is no stopping you indecision
    throt:

Gnil, lexs is a breath of fresh air for the forum.kiss...Rennteam is now a body hair and gadget forum indecision...

Looking forward to the much debated PPF and the removal of it.. If , you have time, lexs indecision..

Smiley Thanks guys.  I'll definitely document the PPF uninstall.  Expect lots and lots of steam.

Car was pretty sad looking up on the lift w/ no wheels this morning. Ready to go for a drive.

1537380696405morning.jpg

You clearly have way too much free time at your hands... Smiley

I don't even get to drive my R8... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:

You clearly have way too much free time at your hands... Smiley

I don't even get to drive my R8... Smiley

Nah, 3 things

1. Very efficient with my time
    2. Don't sleep much
    3. No kids Smiley

No kids...now I got your secret. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

Me like this

Kobalt:

Me like this

Glad you like the thread Kobalt Smiley

Finished it all up, applied the fancy shmancy grease/paste everywhere...did I mention I hate CL's?  Give me 5 lugs any day.  

IMG_2605.jpg

Get ready with giant torque wrench.

IMG_2606.jpg

Realize your buddy isn't home so replace him with a clamp.  This worked but prefer to have someone do it so they can hold the steering wheel when installing the fronts

IMG_2608.jpg

Lower her down

IMG_2609.jpg

Back where she belongs, ready to get back on the road in the morning.  Fingers crossed the wheels stay on angry

IMG_2611.png

throt:

Smiley let's keep the dinosaurs alive !

--

lexs4:

IMG_2608.jpg

Never had a close look at the aluminium pedal option . Looks really good Smiley I should of specs it in my RS

--

very cool ! I spend less time cleaning my car than reading this indecision

BjoernB:

+ 1Smiley

--

Gnil:
    BjoernB:

+ 1Smiley

I imagine that's true for most people Smiley

Gnil, the pedals are aftermarket RennLine ones installed by the previous owner.  Not sure it's representative of what the Porsche one's look like.

Nice drive to work today, little foggy early on.

Farm drive.jpg

1537444456900Farm 2.jpg

Hope you enjoyed a well deserved drive, buddy..kiss...Hope it’s not dirty though indecision..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

throt:

Hope you enjoyed a well deserved drive, buddy..kiss...Hope it’s not dirty though indecision..

I did, thanks man Smiley Taking the long way home tonight is going to be really good. 

It's going to rain for the next 1.5 weeks so it's about to get real dirty.  Just means I get to wash it again sooner than normal Smiley

lexs4:
    throt:

I did, thanks man Smiley Taking the long way home tonight is going to be really good. 

It's going to rain for the next 1.5 weeks so it's about to get real dirty.  Just means I get to wash it again sooner than normal Smiley

I bet the Mrs shouts out..”’’leave that bloody car alone your dinners getting cold’’’ Smiley Smiley..

Enjoy the ride home Smiley...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Nice road and scenery kiss

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

throt:

I bet the Mrs shouts out..”’’leave that bloody car alone your dinners getting cold’’’ Smiley Smiley..

Enjoy the ride home Smiley...

SmileyYeah, she is particularly excited about all the research I've been doing on new tools I 'must' have if I'm to do the exhaust install.  I'll be asking for all my meals to go Smiley

bluelines:

Nice road and scenery kiss

Definitely much nicer than just taking the interstate to work.   Although pretty jealous of the pics you have posted, everything seems so much more vibrant and bright than here Smiley  Our 'mountain' roads are mere speed bumps compared to your's.

I am lucky to live somewhere that has great driving roads and not a lot people.  There is a reason Road and Track just passed through near by for their Performance Car of the Year testing.

Had to run back to my hometown to talk to my financial advisor and see my 95 yr old grandma.  Other's document their travels much better, stopping and taking beauty shots outside their cars.  Wish I could have done the same, but didn't have the opportunity to stop so just took some pics I found interesting.  Unfortunately was on a tight schedule so took the boring interstate the whole way home.  It was very foggy the entire 320km trip, at least to get to the highway went along my normal horse farm route.  The first pic somewhere on the left is the 2015 triple crown winning horse American Pharaoh.  The 3rd pic shows what 300km of the trip looked like, straight...so straight.

IMG_2666.jpg

Downtown Versailles is nowhere near as fancy as I was led to believe indecision

IMG_2667.jpg

IMG_2670.jpg

After a nice visit, was time to head home.  This time I was determined to take back roads as much as possible.  Glad I did because the roads were much more interesting and curvy, and to start with in Big Clifty I found The Spot!  Who knew the spot to be was in Big Clifty, KY 

IMG_2686.jpg

The road meandered along, often paralleling railroad tracks.  Too bad I never saw a train.

IMG_2684.jpg

IMG_2685.jpg

IMG_2687.jpg

The one risk with backroads is of course tractors.  Hit the sweetest bit of road with perfect pavement and tight twisty corners, and wouldn't you know it...literally 15mph the whole stretch crying

IMG_2699.jpg

If you ever saw the movie Elizabethtown, this may look familiar.

IMG_2698.jpg

Not only did I go through Versailles, also went through Boston.  I was not impressed.  Although I was surprised to see that there were no Lancias at the Rust Funeral Home angry

IMG_2700.jpg

In many small towns in KY, there are round-a-bouts in the town center around the courthouse.  Bardstown is no different.  Couldn't get a pic, but here I'm approaching it, with the courthouse in the background.  My dad's home base was here for the artillery regiment he served with during the Vietnam war.  His unit's firebase was almost entirely wiped out during a fierce fight with the Viet cong, I'm quite happy he is still around.

IMG_2703.jpg

If you ever wondered what My Old Kentucky Home looked like, here's a great pic of it  It is rumored that Stephen Foster wrote the song while in the small building in the foreground.

IMG_2704.jpg

And finally back on American Pharaoh's road (some other KY derby winners reside here as well).  Almost home after a much more pleasant drive than the previous day.

IMG_2705.jpg

Wow,,, some lovely scenery and some great roads,, if you do not hit traffic indecision...

Nice to see you using your beauty. Wish I had roads near me like that..

Bet she needs a Clean now though, bud . Back to the garage blush indecision ..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Thanks for the photos . I love watching these . So interesting to see other places . 

This morning I took a friend in my RS so he could discover what the car was all about . When I reached my favorite small mountain road .... got stuck behind a tractor surprise  Same problems all over the world .

When I saw your Elizabethtown photo , and before reading your text , I thought .. woawww .. what a picture , those buildings , the colors, the road , the wire ... looks like a perfect 60's movie ! 

--

Gnil:

Thanks for the photos . I love watching these . So interesting to see other places . 

+1 great photos!

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763460 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435929 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260798 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257765 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    81599 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5324 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872803 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808282 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM