Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Jaguar I-Pace available now...

Boxster Coupe GTS:

How about the Audi e-tron?

...should be unveiled at Geneva! Smiley

Hmm...this car kind of reminds me of a certain model in the VAG brand mix...I wonder which one? Smiley

A1711150_full.jpg
    A1711152_full.jpg
    A1711147_full.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Just checked the width of the I-Pace, it is 2011mm which is very wide for a "town" car. In Switzerland, you would certainly have difficulties in most parking areas.

Same here. But, width is with folded mirrors, not without mirrors.

Are you sure? It does not look like it in the Jaguar brochure. 

Boxster Coupe GTS:

How about the Audi e-tron?

...should be unveiled at Geneva! Smiley

Audi e-tron prototype on display in Geneva...

Link: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-geneva-motor-show/audi-e-tron-geneva-prototypes-launched-fightback-against-i

Pardon my French - but etron? really?

--

991 Carrera Black Edition, XC90 Black\Black - 2 kids, 1 dog

Audi has been using the etron name for like a decade...

bridggar:

Smiley I guess they never looked what it means in french 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

they should start to build this at jaguar.....

Image may contain: car

--

993 c2

Gnil:
    bridggar:

Actually, the name is E-tron but I get your point... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    Gnil:
    bridggar:

I guess they never looked what it means in french 

True, but funny enough they used it without hyphen on the side skirts and rear bumper. Presenting that in the French part of Switzerland... 

Ferdie:
    RC:
    Gnil:
    bridggar:

I guess they never looked what it means in french 

True, but funny enough they used it without hyphen on the side skirts and rear bumper. Presenting that in the French part of Switzerland... 

This is plain ignorant...or just dumb. Smiley

--

I had to google what étron means

Gnil:
    bridggar:

Smiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Toyota made a car called the “MR2”, which I think was eventually renamed in French markets. And don’t forget that Honda nearly released the Fitta in Scandinavia.

Mitsubishi had to rename the "Pajero" in Spain to "Montero" and fortunate the Nissan "Laputa" never made it to any Spanish speaking country...

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

JoeRockhead:

Toyota made a car called the “MR2”, which I think was eventually renamed in French markets. And don’t forget that Honda nearly released the Fitta in Scandinavia.

Recently Hyundai launched the suv Kona. Was renamed to Kauai in Portuguese. Kona(C*na) means c*nt. Smiley

Topspeed:
    JoeRockhead:

Recently Hyundai launched the suv Kona. Was renamed to Kauai in Portuguese. Kona(C*na) means c*nt. Smiley

they also had to rename the Opel Asconas in Portugal for the same reasons (As conas = the c*nts)Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Yeah.

"The experience and vision behind the Jaguar I-Pace"

Building the car was an edict directly from the CEO...

(6 April 2018)

Typically, when an automaker announces something completely different to its lineup, it involves months -- if not years -- of meetings with top executives, multiple focus groups and a lot of hand wringing. For the upcoming Jaguar I-Pace, that wasn't the case.

Announced at the Los Angeles Auto Show in 2016, the journey of the first electric vehicle from Jaguar started four years ago when CEO Ralf Speth made the decision for the British company to get into the electrified market. "It was not the process to which we are used to for generating a car," said Dr. Wolfgang Ziebart, technical design director at the New York Auto Show.

Ziebert noted that many people probably didn't expect a vehicle like the I-Pace from Jaguar this early in the EV game. "They probably expected it from a different company," he said.

And while it's almost certain at this point that nearly all automakers will be transitioning to some sort of electrified powertrain, Jaguar went all-in on its decision pretty early in the game. So much so, that it's going after the biggest name in electric cars, Tesla.

During an I-Pace event, the automaker pitted the I-Pace against the Tesla Model X 75D in a zero to 60 race. The I-Pace beat the Model X by 0.4 seconds (4.5 versus 4.9 respectively)

Of course there's the quicker 100D and P100D model Teslas, but in terms of pricing the 75D is closest in price even though it's about $10,000 more than $69,500 Jag.

Tesla is an obvious target since it's the biggest name in EVs. But four years ago when Jaguar's CEO made a unilateral decision to develop an electric vehicle that would fit right into the automaker's history of luxury and speed, it wasn't a sure thing that electric vehicles would resonate with customers at all.

"Yes everyone knew sooner or later we would drive electrically. But when this future would actually happen, nobody knew." Dr. Ziebart said.

Jaguar isn't new to being at the forefront of technology. It was one of the first automakers to introduce radar-powered adaptive cruise control back in 1999. It also made disc brakes a viable option for cars after winning the 1953 Le Mans in a C-Type C outfitted with the technology.

Both of those technologies have since permeated the majority of vehicles on the road. Jaguar was able to add them both to make their cars better. There were features that made sense and not just adding tech for the sake of adding tech. The upcoming EV from the automaker is the same but on a grander scale.

During our brief drive in the I-Pace it was clear that Jaguar has leapt into the EV world with both feet. The electric SUV feels like a Jag in terms of luxury and performance. The latter we learned about during our brief time behind the wheel racing it around a parking lot. It's a Jaguar that just happens to skip the gas pump and needs to be hooked up to the grid instead.

Today, it makes sense for the company to put out an SUV EV, but what makes sense now was a gamble four years ago. Decisions like building the pure-electric I-Pace can cripple a company if they don't resonate with customers. The most technologically advanced cars in the world are great for research but if no one buys them when they go into production, it bad news for everyone involved.

Fortunately, for Jaguar it looks like the I-Pace gamble is paying off with the first year of car's production already pre-ordered by customers. It's good news for a company that's been around for over 80 years and like most automakers has had its own share of ups and downs. Jaguar's have been around since 1935. Dr. Ziebart has been working in the automotive industry since 1977. That's a lot of historical knowledge for a company and it would be easy to sit back play it safe iterating on the cars it already makes. To wait and see what happens then react with your own set of expertise. But Dr Ziebart knows that the automotive industry, especially right now, is about more than just the proficiency of being able to do the same thing over and over, it's about looking towards the future.

"If this is not a company with vision of what the future will look like, then experience is worthless."

Link: https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/06/the-experience-and-vision-behind-the-jaguar-i-pace/

"2019 Jaguar I-Pace First Drive Review"

It feels quick and small, and the interior is a step up for Jaguar

(5 April 2018)

This is literally our first drive of the 2019 Jaguar I-Pace electric crossover. It lasted about 2 minutes and occurred on a tiny autocross in a frigid parking lot in New Jersey, but if we're to split hairs, it is indeed the first time we've piloted this revolutionary EV SUV-ish vehicle from a company better known for barking exhausts and slinky sport coupes.

While the rest of the automotive press was gallivanting about Manhattan prior to the New York Auto Show, a select few were bused out to Jaguar-Land Rover's new corporate headquarters in Mahwah, N.J. It was there we saw the world debut of the new F-Pace SVR, the North American debut of the Range Rover SV Coupe, and got our first real taste of the I-Pace.

The chief impression is that it feels much smaller than its exterior dimensions would indicate, maneuvering quickly and effortlessly without a hint of roll. Credit the wheels pushed out to the absolute corners and a low center of gravity, both the result of Jaguar's decision to fully embrace the packaging and engineering possibilities of an electric powertrain. The steering was perhaps not as feelsome as other Jaguars, but again, who really knows? Two minutes, parking lot, etc.

In terms of power, it sure is an electric car. Smooth, quick and quiet, but with so little space to work with, there would've been little noticeable difference between the 394-horsepower I-Pace and the 147-hp Nissan Leaf currently sitting in my driveway. Its estimated range of 240 miles on the EPA cycle? Uh, it was good enough for an afternoon of journalists driving in circles.

What I can definitively declare, however, is that the 2019 I-Pace boasts far superior interior quality than every Tesla I've driven. It's also, just as important, a considerable leap forward in terms of materials quality and design from the rather dull and disappointing current Jaguar litter of F-Pace, XF and XE. For instance, leather or leatherette always cover the dash (versus the rubbery stuff found in lower F-Pace, XF and XE trim levels), while there was clearly an effort made to visually spruce things up. The dual-screen center console controls first seen on the Range Rover Velar also appear for the first time in a Jaguar, as does a unique push-button shifter (though I still prefer a properly utilized rotary).

When I pressed designer Wayne Burgess to describe the interior's aesthetic change and asked whether it was a sign of things to come, he ignored the query and adeptly pivoted to talking about the cabin's inherent space efficiency advantages.

Very well, at least it's a point worth making. Here the switch to an electric-only platform allowed the designers and engineers to adopt a cab-forward design inspired by mid-engine supercars like Jag's C-X75 concept, and definitely not the Dodge Intrepid. Doing so freed up a ton of interior space, for although its exterior length is on par with a Porsche Macan, Jaguar says its interior volume is similar to that of a long-wheelbase Jaguar XJ. Rear seat legroom on paper is on par with both the Tesla Model 3 and Model S.

In practice, the back seat has more than enough headroom despite the panoramic glass roof, but the seat itself is mounted a wee bit low for ideal comfort. It's better than the rock-bottom BMW X4's, but is comparable to other SUV/coupe creations. Up front, the seats demonstrate ample adjustability range, and although they're mounted a bit higher than a typical car's, and definitely a typical Jaguar's, the driving position is not what one would call "commanding."

The cargo area is basically a really big trunk (25.3 cubic feet) as that sloped rear deck doesn't do much for versatility. It's at least a hatchback, though, which gives it an advantage over the Tesla Model 3's traditional sedan trunk. The frunk offers a token 0.95 cubic feet that's probably big enough to store a large house cat (not attempted, not recommended). Inside, the center console adopts more storage than other Jags since there isn't a driveshaft gobbling up room. This includes a main bin that offers 10 liters of space, which both Burgess and chief Jaguar designer Ian Callum separately confirmed is big "enough to hold two wine bottles." At least we know there's a design studio bar.

So full driving impressions will have to wait for an actual first drive of the 2019 I-Pace, but I can at least say that this is a car worth getting excited for. In fact, Callum says it's the most exciting project he's ever been a part of, which is certainly impressive should you peruse his résumé. And really, if this thing had a spikey T logo on its trunk rather than a leaping cat, I'd wager the Internet would melt, women would faint in the streets and waiting lists would stretch to Mars.

As it is, you can order an I-Pace right now with a starting price of $69,500 for the full 90kWh battery, 240-mile range and 0-60 time of 4.5 seconds. Deliveries begin in the second half of this year. Hopefully we'll get a few more minutes behind a wheel between then and now.

Link: https://www.autoblog.com/2018/04/05/2019-jaguar-i-pace-ev-crossover-review/

Topspeed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L61--SE04A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHkv5Q8_-44

Very interested in learning how the Audi E-Tron and Porsche Mission E compare to the Jaguar i-Pace as the Audi is more crossover and the Porsche more sports sedan.  It must be difficult to give the cars unique characteristics in line with its ICE powered models with a more generic EV setup.  

I-Pace faster than Tesla Model S and Model 3 on track.  https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-jaguar-i-pace-just-set-a-lap-record-at-laguna-1828563428

Saw the car in real, it is not as bad as pics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGa1ZqK6RlI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEyfCcAbtKU

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691109 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410199 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256254 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235423 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65750 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4746 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858850 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775144 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM