Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Next Cayenne generation approaching fast... (2018)

An artist's impression of a future Porsche Cayenne Coupe...

Take the Porsche badge away and it could be any recent egg shaped SUV . 

looks like a bloated Jag E Pace

Puke.png

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Its not even SUV shaped, way to low and slopped on the rear...

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

you can't go with any flavor angry that is really too much enlightened

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 arriving, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

Carlos from Spain:

Yeah well that's the exact shape of a Model X!

--

New Touareg...looks like a Q7...this is getting ridiculous now. enlightened

VW-Touareg-2017-Vorschau-und-Infos-1200x800-f27f77b14a905a5d.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Is it just me or the cayenne has lost a bit of its desirability. The new one looks pretty boring inside and out. I actually think new audis (A7, A6, A8) are better looking (in S-line guise) and have a better interior. 

The new cayenne does not look special at all. It could be mistaken for a touareg or for the old cayenne all together.

One word comes to my mind: boring.

amazon:

Is it just me or the cayenne has lost a bit of its desirability. The new one looks pretty boring inside and out. I actually think new audis (A7, A6, A8) are better looking (in S-line guise) and have a better interior. 

No, it isn't just you. I really wanted the new Cayenne Turbo but not because it looks so great but the performance. With RWS, it really feels very nimble and light, almost like a sportscar. Great to drive, probably not that great to look at. Smiley Smiley

The new cayenne does not look special at all. It could be mistaken for a touareg or for the old cayenne all together.

Well, it is difficult for manufacturers to make SUVs look more attractive, simply because there is a general anti-SUV vibe and if SUVs attract too much attention, this could be a problem. The new Lamborghini Urus is, of course, a different story but this car is supposed to attract attention. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Whoopsy:
    Carlos from Spain:

Yeah well that's the exact shape of a Model X!

Yes Model X style,  you could call it a crossover... a crossover between a Prius and a minivan Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

RC:
    amazon:

No, it isn't just you. I really wanted the new Cayenne Turbo but not because it looks so great but the performance. With RWS, it really feels very nimble and light, almost like a sportscar. Great to drive, probably not that great to look at. Smiley Smiley

Well, it is difficult for manufacturers to make SUVs look more attractive, simply because there is a general anti-SUV vibe and if SUVs attract too much attention, this could be a problem. The new Lamborghini Urus is, of course, a different story but this car is supposed to attract attention. Smiley

Yes and no. Even a GLC looks more attractive. It's actually quite hard to think of a more bland design than the cayenne. It's like Porsche did not even tried with this generation. Nowadays, within the VW group, it seems that Audi is the only brand that's paying attention to details (and Bentley of course). 

The GLC is smaller and it is no Porsche (=SUV for the beautiful and rich...soccer moms...bla bla bla Smiley).

A customer of mine has a GLE(!) 45 AMG Coupe, he came yesterday to my business and was quite upset because someone scratched his door badly. Over a dozen of cars in that garage, only his and a X5 were scratched. Random? I doubt it.

--

amazon:

Is it just me or the cayenne has lost a bit of its desirability.

I think Porsche have failed to grasp that a huge part of the SUV market is fashion driven so styling really matters. The gentle Porsche evolutional approach in this regard could well be their undoing.

The Cayenne shape is now extremely familiar to most buyers after 15 years of sales and the basic silhouette of the car has not really altered considerably in that time. In fact over familiarity and the significant number of them on the roads in certain markets is doubtless reducing their desirability further. To boost sales they need to take a bigger risk in terms of creating a new design language that is confident enough not to need much over used cues from their sports cars. The brand has strong enough equity at the sort of sales volumes they now enjoy to do that. The upcoming electric range will prove whether or not they are brave enough to do this. The Macan isn't ageing particularly well to my eyes and looks a bit dumpy with a bulbous nose.

Porsche need to look at the huge jump Land Rover took in styling terms with the Evoque and the Range Rover and Range Rover Sport models that followed it. That design language was a radical departure from the previous models and brought a huge upturn in sales as buyers were attracted to the styling first and foremost.

The VW group is failing massively on this front as it's brands are in real danger of adopting identikit styling at present across a lot of their SUV models. The Skoda and Seat SUV models all look pretty much alike.

ISUK:
    amazon:

Is it just me or the cayenne has lost a bit of its desirability.

I think Porsche have failed to grasp that a huge part of the SUV market is fashion driven so styling really matters. The gentle Porsche evolutional approach in this regard could well be their undoing.

To their defense, I have to say that they are facing a very challenging market in Germany (and maybe other parts of Europe), where SUVs aren't really very popular with "ordinary" people. Smiley Too much styling could cause too much attention, thus the risk of outrage and/or damage. Sad but true. This is probably the reason why they are going to offer the "Coupe" version, for those who are OK with attracting more attention. Smiley

The Cayenne shape is now extremely familiar to most buyers after 15 years of sales and the basic silhouette of the car has not really altered considerably in that time. In fact over familiarity and the significant number of them on the roads in certain markets is doubtless reducing their desirability further. To boost sales they need to take a bigger risk in terms of creating a new design language that is confident enough not to need much over used cues from their sports cars. The brand has strong enough equity at the sort of sales volumes they now enjoy to do that. The upcoming electric range will prove whether or not they are brave enough to do this. The Macan isn't ageing particularly well to my eyes and looks a bit dumpy with a bulbous nose.

I think the Macan has a huge success because of it's styling. 

Porsche need to look at the huge jump Land Rover took in styling terms with the Evoque and the Range Rover and Range Rover Sport models that followed it. That design language was a radical departure from the previous models and brought a huge upturn in sales as buyers were attracted to the styling first and foremost.

True, the current Range Rover design language is very attractive (though my wife hates it but I guess she is the only one Smiley).

The VW group is failing massively on this front as it's brands are in real danger of adopting identikit styling at present across a lot of their SUV models. The Skoda and Seat SUV models all look pretty much alike.

Yes, very very dangerous development and VW cannot be happy about it. This probably happens when they are too occupied with the emissions scandal, no real leadership with other stuff. Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    ISUK:
    amazon:

Yes, very very dangerous development and VW cannot be happy about it. This probably happens when they are too occupied with the emissions scandal, no real leadership with other stuff. Smiley Smiley

The VW group owns too many brands and produce too many cars that just look the same (and are the same in reality).  There's no need for a Skoda SUV and a Seat SUV when you already have the  VW Tiguan for instance. The touareg is also useless IMHO. If you want a big and luxury SUV, you just don't buy a VW. 

On the other hand, the Q7 is quite a smart move from Audi because of its design and size. I see many of these on the road. 

The Macan is not aging well, I agree. It's mainly due to the fact that most of them are low specced 4 cylinder versions. Looks is subjective but these Macans with no options are as attractive as a 2.0 diesel Q5 can be.

Absolutely agree. I'd like to replace my aging but broadly fault-free XC90 but can't get remotely excited about anything in the VW stable. I'm swinging towards a RRS but even that is a bit past it's prime. Perhaps I'm getting old but GLC & Jaguar have my attention at the moment. (maybe even an Alfa??)

--

991 Carrera Black Edition, XC90 Black\Black - 2 kids, 1 dog

RC:
    I

To their defense, I have to say that they are facing a very challenging market in Germany (and maybe other parts of Europe), where SUVs aren't really very popular with "ordinary" people. Smiley Too much styling could cause too much attention, thus the risk of outrage and/or damage. Sad but true. This is probably the reason why they are going to offer the "Coupe" version, for those who are OK with attracting more attention. Smiley

There is a much bigger world outside of Germany and it is more fashion conscious so that should be a major consideration for them. Enough tasteless and blingy cars are produced by Mercedes alone to suggest that German auto manufacturers are hardly shrinking violets in that regard Smiley

I'd strongly argue that the Macan is selling extremely well due to attractive lease offers and modern consumers desire to own a brand that projects an image of them doing well in life. You only have to look at the Macan owners forum to see where the sales are coming from Smiley I've had interesting chats with a few dealers here whilst looking for a Cayman (which, co-incidentally, there appear to be considerable numbers of here that are unsold dealer stock which the factory appear to have allocated to the UK market). The profile of their customer base has changed considerably following the launch of the Macan with buyers who are more interested in the brand than the engineering. They just equate Porsche to being a luxury brand that is above whatever cars their friends/neighbours etc drive. They are also generally far more demanding in terms of time and attention than buyers of the more expensive sports cars.

The other "prestige" German manufacturers have blown the prestige aspect of their brand completely apart in certain markets such as the UK where they have taken over as almost mass market suppliers thanks to suicidal PCP/PCH lease rates. I have a friend who is quite senior in M B UK and he is certain they are sitting upon a ticking bomb in terms of collapsing residual values due to over supply.

ISUK:
    RC:
    I

There is a much bigger world outside of Germany and it is more fashion conscious so that should be a major consideration for them. Enough tasteless and blingy cars are produced by Mercedes alone to suggest that German auto manufacturers are hardly shrinking violets in that regard Smiley

They make what sells. Looking at the Mercedes A and B class, I still wonder...how. Smiley Smiley

I'd strongly argue that the Macan is selling extremely well due to attractive lease offers and modern consumers desire to own a brand that projects an image of them doing well in life. You only have to look at the Macan owners forum to see where the sales are coming from Smiley

You'd be surprised: The lease offers in Germany are not really good (much better for Cayenne and other Porsche models) and while I agree that maybe a new type of customer has discovered Porsche through the Macan, many Macans sold in Germany are actually owned by the same people who owned a Cayenne or other Porsche model before. 

I've had interesting chats with a few dealers here whilst looking for a Cayman (which, co-incidentally, there appear to be considerable numbers of here that are unsold dealer stock which the factory appear to have allocated to the UK market). The profile of their customer base has changed considerably following the launch of the Macan with buyers who are more interested in the brand than the engineering. They just equate Porsche to being a luxury brand that is above whatever cars their friends/neighbours etc drive. They are also generally far more demanding in terms of time and attention than buyers of the more expensive sports cars.

True but this is valid for other Porsche models as well, incl. the 911. At least here in Germany.
    You won't believe it but I met a guy with his wife who didn't even know that his new 991.2 Carrera S had a bi-turbo engine (or "turbo" engine for that matter). I know...how is that possible?! Smiley

The other "prestige" German manufacturers have blown the prestige aspect of their brand completely apart in certain markets such as the UK where they have taken over as almost mass market suppliers thanks to suicidal PCP/PCH lease rates. I have a friend who is quite senior in M B UK and he is certain they are sitting upon a ticking bomb in terms of collapsing residual values due to over supply.

Mercedes, BMW, even Audi...they have very interesting lease offers in Germany, especially the first two.

Residual values? Well, this is why I lease my cars. Smiley

Think about the Cayenne S Diesel my wife drives like now: She is lucky she didn't buy it, residual value of Diesel cars is currently tanking in Germany because of that emissions scandal and the threat of drive stops for Diesel cars in inner city regions.

--

I'm surprised that Porsche are not controlling 911 supply better across markets. If there are excess cars on the German market somebody in marketing is not doing a good job as the supply in the UK is quite tight and we tend to have a high ratio spend here on the options list which is pretty lucrative. For some reason we are also being denied PTS on a growing basis which is another easy cash cow for Porsche which they should surely be able to offer more widely now with the paint shop investments.

Porsche continually appear to be stuck in a Germanic mindset (and I don't mean that offensively) where they know best and ignore shifting buying trends or demands. If you restrict what options you give your buyers and then simply look at which of your selection sell then you are not looking at what people really want, rather at what they are making do with. As a luxury brand they should be forward predicting trends and developing product to suit. The engineering aspect of their business is taken as a given by all buyers but modern consumers want a higher degree of personalisation. This does not mean they want or need a full consultation with the Exclusive Department as Porsche appear to think. It means greater flexibility in either making certain things more readily available such as wider paint choices, contrast stitching, interior material choices etc and at sensible pricing. The uptake would be substantial if they did. Look at the standard Volcano dash trim for instance. It looked good and modern when the 997 was launched but why on earth is it still the same some 14 years later yes No doubt we will continue to see it in the 992 just as it persists in the Panamera. A great example of German belligerence at work perhaps? smiley

Totally lost interest in the Cayenne when the second gen came around. The first two designs were interesting, from there it was all downhill. Then the competition started to catch up in performance as the Porsche prices kept creeping higher to ridiculous levels. Then came the Macan which which looks much better, is much lighter and more fun to drive, and way better value. At the same time the Model X is out and offers a vastly more interesting, practical and fresh alternative to a high end Cayenne. It is a striking design but at least it is not ultra boring.

After 10 years driving high end Cayennes, we are now much happier with a RRS and a Macan.

Its really hard to make an SUV look good as I have said before. The issue with the Cayenne for me is that its performance is now matched or superceded by the competition which was not there when it was first launched. The Bentayga is ugly but silky smooth, very fast ( in a straight line!) and luxurious on the interior . The Urus is much better looking than the Bentayga and has mind boggling acceleration  - 0-100 kph in 3.6 s, Yes, 3.6s Smiley.

Alfa is coming out with a 505hp Stelvio, hopefully Porsche reacts and finally comes out with a proper 500hp Macan turbo GTS smiley. And Jag has the iPace EV coming out too. Can’t wait for a Macan ELV. Tesla is kinda late with the Y model.

Porsche is getting cornered from every angle. Their ridulous prices will come bite them eventually.

Boxster Coupe GTS:

An artist's impression of a future Porsche Cayenne Coupe...

To quote one of you guys in another thread: "Artist"

F33EF27E-DC1E-41B5-9771-85C6155EFADB.jpeg

SciFrog:

Totally lost interest in the Cayenne when the second gen came around. The first two designs were interesting, from there it was all downhill. Then the competition started to catch up in performance as the Porsche prices kept creeping higher to ridiculous levels. Then came the Macan which which looks much better, is much lighter and more fun to drive, and way better value. At the same time the Model X is out and offers a vastly more interesting, practical and fresh alternative to a high end Cayenne. It is a striking design but at least it is not ultra boring.

After 10 years driving high end Cayennes, we are now much happier with a RRS and a Macan.

+1

Well, at least in Spain, the commercials have little desire to sell Cayenne. I have asked for the new Cayenne V6 340cv and the price with extras goes up to € 108,000. For example the Volvo XC90 T8 Hybrid 407cv leave me at € 75,000 or the GLE500e at € 80,000 or the X5 5.0i 450cv at € 85,000 ... with the same equipment all approximately. to think about it

Why don't you factor in the resale values ?

--

White 991.2 GT3, production week 10

Gauss:

Why don't you factor in the resale values ?

resale values? I had a 2010 Cayenne Turbo that earned me € 180,000 and I had to sell it for € 50,000. for me a car that loses € 130,000 in 7.5 years can not be considered to have a "resale value" sorry

and my cousin, has a cayenne diesel 262cv with 2 years old and he wants to sell it and NOBODY buys it because in 2020 in Spain it is not going to be able to use diesel vehicles in many cities. horrible

Because Cayenne resale values are horrible. My friend traded in his 4 year old 09 CTTS with MSRP of $140k and 50k miles for $50k. The only car worse than that is the Panamera...

The used market is smart, look at prices of 4 year old car and you can see how overpriced the new car is. In the old days I traded in a 4 year old 03 996.2 C4C with MSRP of $93k for $66k. Today to do the same, MSRP is $130k and trade in is $70k. Macan has good resale value, high end Cayenne are terrible and Panamera even worse...

The resale value of Cayenne Turbo is terrible...the only one which remains interesting at the moment is the last Cayenne GTS 4.8L NA V8 which still has a decent residual value compared to its original price. everything else in the range follows the concept of a whale falling down from 20 floors...smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 arriving, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690952 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410109 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256167 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235392 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65739 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858772 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775072 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM