Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2018 E63 from AMG is back

Ferdie:
    RC:

"Better" photos to understand that black matte metallic color...

2018-02-26_14-24-13.jpg

I strongly prefer the matte grey variant and kept thinking why I dislike the matte black metallic paint... in my opinion the E-class has a lot of sculptural surfacing that needs reflections to properly work, something the lighter grey does. The matte black, even if it is metallic, will only show sufficient reflections in strong lighting conditions. Funny enough, the matte versions of these colors probably show much more of the sculptural character than their glossy counterparts, hence the matte paint looks so delicious on that model.

Interesting points, I agree. This can however also be an issue since people would recognize the AMG easier or at least they would notice that this is not your ordinary E class. 

Not really caring though, AMG is OK for me since I have customers driving AMG Mercedes and there is even one parked in front of my business most of the time.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    Kimi:

IMHO, matte color is too kebab for a white guy but it's your car :-)

Ah, now I get it...old school prejudice. Smiley Smiley

Don't worry, the people you are referring to are usually driving older E63 models, "fake" AMG models (S class and S class Coupe are favored in this domain because there were less "optical" differences to the real AMG models) and C 63. Smiley

I don't want to look like a German sales rep in my car... Smiley (E class and BMW 5 series are the favorite cars in the upper sales reps class).

E class are the favorite cars for taxi in Luxembourg Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 arriving, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

Christian, not to beat a dead horse but this car is not you. You have a relatively young and very active family. To ride in this monstrosity will age all of you by 20years. So don’t stress over the color of the car. Get the windows darken as much as possible so as not to be seen.indecision

--

You have your way. I have my way. As for the correct way and the only way, it does not exist.

the-missile:
    RC:
    Kimi:

IMHO, matte color is too kebab for a white guy but it's your car :-)

Ah, now I get it...old school prejudice. Smiley Smiley

Don't worry, the people you are referring to are usually driving older E63 models, "fake" AMG models (S class and S class Coupe are favored in this domain because there were less "optical" differences to the real AMG models) and C 63. Smiley

I don't want to look like a German sales rep in my car... Smiley (E class and BMW 5 series are the favorite cars in the upper sales reps class).

E class are the favorite cars for taxi in Luxembourg Smiley

In Germany as well but not the AMG version (there is a visual difference). Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

In the USA crossovers have taken over sedans. We see fewer and fewer E class as people don’t want them anymore.

nberry:

Christian, not to beat a dead horse but this car is not you. You have a relatively young and very active family. To ride in this monstrosity will age all of you by 20years. So don’t stress over the color of the car. Get the windows darken as much as possible so as not to be seen.indecision

Smiley I guess I live in a different world than yours. 99% of the people around me at my age drive BWM 5 or 3 series estate wagons, Audi A6 estate wagons, BMW X3 or X5 and/or some japanese crossovers. Smiley

What the heck, a neighbor (he is a cardiologist) who owns several sportscars has a VW T6 as a family car. If you don't know what a T6 is, look here (this is even the color of his car):

vw_t6_stockholm_2015-06-27-14.39.44.jpg

So I guess I'm good... Smiley 

--

SciFrog:

In the USA crossovers have taken over sedans. We see fewer and fewer E class as people don’t want them anymore.

In Germany, station wagons (estates) are still ruling, even if we have lots of smaller SUVs (not sure they're catching up though). As you can imagine, I didn't want the estate version of the E63. Smiley

--

RC:
    nberry:

What the heck, a neighbor (he is a cardiologist) who owns several sportscars has a VW T6 as a family car. If you don't know what a T6 is, look here (this is even the color of his car):

Maybe Is it because it brings the insurance down as put this as main car?

martini964:
    RC:
    nberry:

Maybe Is it because it brings the insurance down as put this as main car?

There is no such thing in Germany, our insurance system works differently. 

He has the T6 because he wants a comfortable family car with lots of room for trips. I know many sportscar owners here in Germany who have surprisingly slow and boring cars as family cars, for whatever reason. Smiley

If you think they drive slow, think again. Last time we were together on the Autobahn (towards Austria), he was doing 200 kph in that T6 van, fully loaded...my son was shocked (and me too...a little bit).

--

RC:
    martini964:
    RC:
    nberry:If you think they drive slow, think again. Last time we were together on the Autobahn (towards Austria), he was doing 200 kph in that T6 van, fully loaded...my son was shocked (and me too...a little bit).

WOW, 200???,lol

martini964:
    RC:
    martini964:
    RC:
    nberry:If you think they drive slow, think again. Last time we were together on the Autobahn (towards Austria), he was doing 200 kph in that T6 van, fully loaded...my son was shocked (and me too...a little bit).

WOW, 200???,lol

It is actually quite impressive to see such a van doing 200 kph... Luckily, I don't have to drive in it. Smiley

There are actually modified versions with Porsche tech (usually 911 Turbo engine, gearbox, brakes, etc.) but my neighbor doesn't have one, actually wouldn't even want one (we talked about it). 

Another family friend bought a Mercedes van a while ago, not sure but I think it has a 6 cyl. engine with over 200 hp. Seems to be popular here, instead of station wagons. SUVs seem to loose their attraction with families, at least in our circle of friends and people we know. So far, there is only one family we know driving a SUV. Smiley

--

RC:
    BjoernB:

that's what you said not so long ago on Mercedes Smiley

Not long ago? Certainly not over the past 12 months. The new E63 is a game changer in my opinion, same goes to the AMG GT R.

Also, the E63 is a family car, not my sports car.
    What family car are you driving? Smiley Smiley

I can only afford the train Smiley

BjoernB:
    RC:
    BjoernB:

that's what you said not so long ago on Mercedes Smiley

Not long ago? Certainly not over the past 12 months. The new E63 is a game changer in my opinion, same goes to the AMG GT R.

Also, the E63 is a family car, not my sports car.
    What family car are you driving? Smiley Smiley

I can only afford the train Smiley

See? I know it all. Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    nberry:

Smiley I guess I live in a different world than yours. 99% of the people around me at my age drive BWM 5 or 3 series estate wagons, Audi A6 estate wagons, BMW X3 or X5 and/or some japanese crossovers. Smiley

vw_t6_stockholm_2015-06-27-14.39.44.jpg

--

You only validate the point I was making. I fully expect your cardiologist to have a sensible family car as do other professionals. There is a time and place for everything. Your MB looks like a dinosaur with a big engine. No way will it be as comfortable as a SUV or van for family trips. 

I predict one year or less for the MB in your garage. You'll recognize the error you made in a very short time.Smiley

--

You have your way. I have my way. As for the correct way and the only way, it does not exist.

I have a Florett Silver (Matte) Audi S8 Plus.

40k miles and 2 years later (in Chicago awful weather) and still looks like new.

All you have to do is always make sure the car wash does not use any sort of wax or sealer they like to add with shampoo. 

The "blotting" you mentioned is from sealer and wax most likely, salt and grit has no effect on that paint.

nberry:

You only validate the point I was making. I fully expect your cardiologist to have a sensible family car as do other professionals. There is a time and place for everything. Your MB looks like a dinosaur with a big engine. No way will it be as comfortable as a SUV or van for family trips. 

I predict one year or less for the MB in your garage. You'll recognize the error you made in a very short time.Smiley

Wanna bet? Smiley The E63 is my family car, absolutely perfect. Dinosaur with a big engine? Exactly what I wanted. Smiley
    For everything else, I have the R8 and the 991.2 Carrera GTS Cab (which will be missed...replacing it with the C63 S AMG Convertible facelift in October).

The GLC was my first choice because I thought we need a SUV but considering the winters we had in the past and the fact that most roads are cleaned quite fast, there isn't really a need for a SUV anymore. The E63 is exactly what I wanted as a family car, brutally fast, comfy and with AWD.
    Drive one, you may be impressed. The station wagon did the Nordschleife in 7:45 min., on road tires. Smiley

The interior is amazing, if you think it looks like a dinosaur, you clearly need to consult an ophthalmologist.

Next stop: Either the R8 facelift or the Huracan Performante (if I can snatch one with low mileage and at a low cost).

Or the 960...if Porsche finally decides to put it on the market and wants me back as a customer by then but I think that Audi wants to keep me. Smiley

--

absent:

I have a Florett Silver (Matte) Audi S8 Plus.

40k miles and 2 years later (in Chicago awful weather) and still looks like new.

All you have to do is always make sure the car wash does not use any sort of wax or sealer they like to add with shampoo. 

The "blotting" you mentioned is from sealer and wax most likely, salt and grit has no effect on that paint.

I wanted the S8 Plus with that special lease for 599 EUR (without down payment) in Germany but the 1000 cars were gone fast, even if two users here in the forum succeeded to make the deal.

The new M5 would have been interesting as well but dealer offered a special deal for the "old" one without AWD only (they probably had to get rid of some previous cars).

New Cayenne Turbo? Way too expensive, no special lease deal. Panamera Turbo? Not enough luggage room, even if the new one is better than the "old" one. Also, lease not very cheap, even if there were special offers.

Mercedes was the only one offering the perfect deal for me and my wife but I wish my Porsche dealer would have come up with that special 991.2 Carrera GTS Convertible deal before I ordered the C63 Convertible. It was too late to get out of the contract. My wife is happy though, since my son refuses to be picked up in the 911 at school for various reasons. The C63 will be OK... Smiley

Make no mistake though: I really wanted the E63 but only after the test-drive I had. Amazing machine, incredible performance for such a car. Engine is a monster, chassis is top notch, sound is divine. Perfect family mover and daily driver. 

--

Interesting about your son.

When my kids went to school, Elementary and later High School (one is a Sommelier now, the other in Med School), they loved being picked up in Ferraris or my wife's Bentley, it "increased" their "status" and respectability among other students, made them "popular" kids.

Although, the biggest hit that they still talk about was a full boat, armored Humvee with a 50 Cal on top that I managed to borrow for the occasion. The entire school went nuts.......

absent:

Interesting about your son.

When my kids went to school, Elementary and later High School (one is a Sommelier now, the other in Med School), they loved being picked up in Ferraris or my wife's Bentley, it "increased" their "status" and respectability among other students, made them "popular" kids.

Nope. Over here in Germany, you need "to swim with the masses", otherwise they outcast you. You cannot be too poor either though, then they bully you. Smiley  Audi, Mercedes, BMW...even top models, no problem. Porsche, Audi R8 or any exotics, an absolute no-go. Even my wife's Cayenne can be an issue but it isn't as "bad" as the 911.

The school is a public school in an upper middle class area. These people are actually the worst: Upper middle class. They are doing pretty OK but they aren't rich. Most envious people actually in my opinion... Smiley

Although, the biggest hit that they still talk about was a full boat, armored Humvee with a 50 Cal on top that I managed to borrow for the occasion. The entire school went nuts.......

Smiley Last summer I wore an US Airforce t-shirt when I picked up my daughter in school. The t-shirt says Tyndall Airforce Base on the front, incl. a F-22 and the fighter squadron emblem and the back something like "death with finesse". Now guess what happened? One of the teachers (thank god my daughter didn't have him as a teacher and he left school last year) came towards me and told me that my t-shirt is highly inappropriate. Smiley Oh well... At first I didn't even know what he is talking about since the "death with finesse" is written on the back of the shirt. Germany. Smiley 

--

You clearly live in a weird part of Germany I've never experienced.

Can anyone confirm RC actually lives in Germany?

noone1:

Typical Germany, especially smaller cities. If someone tells you different, he/she is lying or living outside reality. Smiley

Actually, I heard similar stories from the US as well, so... Smiley

--

Unfortunately you are right, US is changing too and not in a good way, the last 8 years did a lot of damage to people here, created huge division and animosity of one against the other.

absent:

Unfortunately you are right, US is changing too and not in a good way, the last 8 years did a lot of damage to people here, created huge division and animosity of one against the other.

I can confirm this observation, noticed lots of (behavioral) changes in people of different races/classes over the past couple of years and I come to the US as a tourist only. Same goes to my wife/kids and friends who join us from time to time. We discuss this all the time.

--

RC:
    noone1:

Typical Germany, especially smaller cities. If someone tells you different, he/she is lying or living outside reality. Smiley

Interesting that you would comment someone is living outside reality. SmileySmiley

I can't confirm your view of Germany...

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Porker:
    RC:
    noone1:

Interesting that you would comment someone is living outside reality. SmileySmiley

You live in Germany? With kids going to school here? In a catholic middle class neighborhood? Interesting. Smiley

I can't confirm your view of Germany...

I would've been surprised if you did. Smiley

You are still young, enjoy your naive view of the world. Ask Uta. Smiley Smiley

--

I don't think being paranoid has anything to do with age. 

Why you're namedropping people out of my personal circle, I have no clue. yes (I know that by checking my license plate you can obtain information like that, why you would do that is beyond me.)

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

absent:

Don’t you mean the last year?

--

Porker:

Paranoid? Without being that way, I would have lost a lot, maybe even incl. my life but thats a story which needs to be told personally. In the case of my neighborhood though, I am not paranoid, just observant. You may not have made the same experience but you also probably don't live in a 400 square meters house amidst a middle class neighborhood, where the nicest cars you see were usually Audi A6 and BMW 5 series. This has changed over the last couple of years because of some new houses, thank god and luckily, two of my neighbors have more (and or nicer) cars than I do. Smiley 

Why you're namedropping people out of my personal circle, I have no clue. yes (I know that by checking my license plate you can obtain information like that, why you would do that is beyond me.)

You wouldn't believe if I told you but trust me, I didn't have to look for it.

Maybe you suffer from a little bit of paranoia? Smiley

First name...could be anyone, why so...paranoid?!

--

nberry:
    absent:

Don’t you mean the last year?

Nope, the change started around 2009 or so...and unfortunately it won't change because now "the other side" does the same crap in a way or another. Smiley

--

RC:
    Porker:

Paranoid? Without being that way, I would have lost a lot, maybe even incl. my life but thats a story which needs to be told personally. In the case of my neighborhood though, I am not paranoid, just observant. You may not have made the same experience but you also probably don't live in a 400 square meters house amidst a middle class neighborhood, where the nicest cars you see were usually Audi A6 and BMW 5 series. This has changed over the last couple of years because of some new houses, thank god and luckily, two of my neighbors have more (and or nicer) cars than I do. Smiley 

You wouldn't believe if I told you but trust me, I didn't have to look for it.

Maybe you suffer from a little bit of paranoia? Smiley

First name...could be anyone, why so...paranoid?!

--

Christian, congratulations on the 400 square metre palace and the limited edition Oakley. Well done!

My point is not that you’ve had to look up your information or not, my point is that you’re mentioning names of people around me to try and prove a point that is beyond my understanding. I think many with me will find this despicable, and you would find the same if I went down that route.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM