Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018)

OK, so the Swiss EUR 'adjustment' is currently 22'100 - making the base 'only' 237'100.  This is a much bigger adjustment than those I saw for 2RS/GT3.

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

They should release some Porsche GT RS Butt Lube, extra slippy. You need that and some Porsche knee pads, the prelude to any GT order. Im not bitter i promise.

"Swiss EUR 'adjustment' is currently 22'100"

What is that. Tax?

No, it's a discount on the list price to bring it down closer to German ones - an incentive not to parallel-import cars - their solution to the strong CHF.  Varies over time depending on EUR/CHF rate.

--

KresoF1:
    Kobalt:
    blueflame:
    KresoF1:

Little info for those interested.

Folding Buckets are around 2kg lighter then LWBs.

I´m really surprised..Smiley

Me2 - Maybe it is the electric engine for height adjustment that is the reason.

Yes, electric motor is the key. Hight adjustment comes with a weight addition. 

Well worth it for the extra helmet room.  Folding buckets are too tall for me...

US price is $187,500 including LWB's.  I would consider one without any options (except things like bigger fuel tank), if I was to buy one.  I think the price is fair...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

DaveGordon:

No, it's a discount on the list price to bring it down closer to German ones - an incentive not to parallel-import cars - their solution to the strong CHF.  Varies over time depending on EUR/CHF rate.

I took a look at the Ch configurator. Does that price include the discount?

No.  Swiss price =  configurator price minus this EUR adjustment.

--

DaveGordon:

One interesting thing: they were only taking orders for May-July production slots.

First batch... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Sure, but doesn't that imply they are of a different specification?  Otherwise surely they'd open for a longer run as for all the other cars?  I am hoping it implies it is non-particle filter.

--

DaveGordon:

Sure, but doesn't that imply they are of a different specification?  Otherwise surely they'd open for a longer run as for all the other cars?  I am hoping it implies it is non-particle filter.

It would make more sense to offer the same power and specs with particulate filter, so nobody gets p.ss.d off.

Let's wait and see what happens...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

With a free “upgrade” for pre-filter cars.

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:

With a free “upgrade” for pre-filter cars.

This would be even better... (if possible). Smiley

Not going to happen though, I guess there is a reason why they don't offer a particulate filter in the first batch.

Again...rumors. Caution. Maybe they make one batch only and thats it (not very likely though).

This could be the reason they are rumored to go for a 4.2 l in the second batch but maybe just to keep the power level steady at 520 hp?! Smiley I highly doubt that the car with particulate filter will have more hp, it just would look bad.

--

Kobalt:

SWE-GER 3-4   Sweden is now officially a country in sorrow.

Quite alright. Look at the Americans, they lost to Czech! Smiley

--

RC:
    This could be the reason they are rumored to go for a 4.2 l in the second batch but maybe just to keep the power level steady at 520 hp?! Smiley I highly doubt that the car with particulate filter will have more hp, it just would look bad.

This filter version (if 4.2L) would be faster with more torque than 4.0, even if same hp.  It's also possible that they would need to lower the redline with larger cylinders.

Reminds me of the Honda S2000 when they went to 10% larger displacement, but lower redline and emotion...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:
    RC:

This filter version (if 4.2L) would be faster with more torque than 4.0, even if same hp.  It's also possible that they would need to lower the redline with larger cylinders.

Reminds me of the Honda S2000 when they went to 10% larger displacement, but lower redline and emotion...

--

I'd say that Porsche would offer the 4.2 with the same specs...if it is going to be a 4.2. They cannot afford the second batch with particulate filter to be faster, more powerful, whatever, it would piss off batch one customers and they know that.

Again...right now everything is speculation, I wouldn't be surprised if the first batch gets a particulate filter as well, at least for European versions.

--

RC:  I'd say that Porsche would offer the 4.2 with the same specs...if it is going to be a 4.2. They cannot afford the second batch with particulate filter to be faster, more powerful, whatever, it would piss off batch one customers and they know that.

Again...right now everything is speculation, I wouldn't be surprised if the first batch gets a particulate filter as well, at least for European versions.

Then they would need to do some strange things to lower the torque of the 4.2L, to make the same HP, Nm, and redline of the 4.0L.  Probably would require a lower compression ratio or preventing the throttle from opening all the way at some engine speeds.

--

RC:

the law impose to put particular filter from 1st september.

additional material = additional cost. Porsche is not going to install something extra prior being obliged to do it.

don't talk about it, sell first batch, put filter sell more batches. job done. Smiley

car is 520hp with +/- tolerance. few hp on filter is well within the limit.

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

991.2 GT3 arriving, 991 GT3 2014(sold)

Cayenne GTS 2014

Top Gear: "Ten things you need to know: the new Porsche 911 GT3 RS"

Your instant expert guide to the fastest, greenest and lairiest GT3 RS ever

(20 February 2018)

There's more power

Of course there’s more power. But this is a Porsche RS, so we’re talking incremental here. It wouldn’t do that the standard GT3 matches the 500-odd horsepower output of the old GT3 RS, unless the new car increases the stakes even further. So, Porsche has liberated a few more ponies from the 4.0-litre flat-six for a 520bhp ‘maximum’. That’s pretty conservative; Porsche insiders admit it could have homologated a figure more like 530bhp, but the folks there like to be modest. That also means it should be able to produce its quoted 0-62mph time of 3.2 seconds everywhere - whether you’re doing so on a hot desert road in Dubai, or the slip road onto an unrestricted autobahn in the GT3 RS’s motherland.

It goes up to 9…

That’s thousand, revs, and again in line with the GT3’s screaming, naturally aspirated flat-six. That’s also 200rpm up on its predecessor. In the back of the RS, it breathes differently over the mere GT3, thanks to the Turbo-derived body’s intakes in front of the rear wheels, while there’s a different exhaust, too. It’s not about power but immediacy, say Porsche’s people, so everything from the breathing, electronics and more has been worked on to make the engine react that little bit quicker. We’ve sat alongside Mr W. Rohrl driving it on a frozen Finnish lake and he tells us it’s “much better”, and we’re not about to argue the toss with a driving god.

It's lighter, naturally

It wouldn’t be an RS without some weight savings, after all; the GT department has taken 5kg out of the carpets alone. Thing is, the internet forums will be ablaze with keyboard heroes, as Porsche won’t legally be able to quote its new RS in its very lightest specification, as it has previously. It’ll likely be the same weight as the outgoing car on paper, then - 1420kg, if it’s not ingrained in your RS grey matter reference library - so get ready for some angry internet people. It is all apparently down to a change in the way cars are homologated, something to do with options and percentages of weight. Anyway, if you want a super-light RS, there’ll be the option of the Weissach Pack, as per the GT2 RS, with magnesium wheels, and carbon body parts (the roof and bonnet) combining to help shed around 29kg from the kerbweight and a chunk more from your wallet.

The GT3 RS has gone green

Not in the environmental sense, but the colour. Porsche is calling it Lizard Green. The launch colour of the GT3 RS is the result of GT car boss, Andreas Preuninger, seeing a similarly coloured vintage RS at Rennsport Reunion in the USA a few years ago. Apparently the production team asked if he was crazy, but Porsche has form introducing, or re-evoking, classic colours with the RS - notably Lava Orange and Ultra Violet with the last 911 GT3 RS car. It’s not the first green RS, remember – Viper Green was one of the launch colours of the 997 GT3 RS. Like its 997 predecessor, the new GT3 RS brings back the GT3 RS graphics down the sills, just in case the massive rear spoiler, punctured front wings and channelled bonnet and roof aren’t tell-tales enough.

Porsche reckons it'll do 7m 05s at the 'Ring

As sure as GT3 RS follows GT3, the new RS will chase its tyre-tracks around the Nürburgring. The standard GT3’s lap time is now 7 minutes 12.7 seconds (better than the old GT3 RS’s 7 min 20 secs) so it has that to beat. What is certain is it’ll not get close to its turbo-nutter 700hp GT2 RS relation’s bonkers 6 min 47.3 second time, but Andreas Preuninger says: “I think it will end up at 7 minutes 5 seconds or something like that. It’s hugely quick.” Most of that, says the GT boss, is down to the tyre and chassis revisions, only around 1 second or so attributable to the marginally increased output from its engine.

It's essentially a GT2 RS underneath

Basically the bits underneath are GT2 RS, so that means every joint in the suspension is solid-mounted – bar a single one that’s related to the rear-wheel-steering system. That rear-axle steering itself has been finessed to improve speed and turn-in response at lower speeds, as well as aiding stability at higher ones. The spring and damper rates are all but identical to its big brother, too, and having driven that on UK roads, it achieves a beguiling mix of composure yet authoritative control. It’ll ride even better still if you option that Weissach Package, as the magnesium wheels shave a total of 12.5kg off the unsprung weight. Spend more on the PCCB (i.e. carbon ceramic) brakes too and you’ll drop about the same amount again.

The aero's been honed 

True to RS form, the way it exploits the air travelling up, over, around, through and under it has been finessed. The biggest change centres around those new NACA ducts on the bonnet. Again, they’re derived from the GT2 RS, channelling air though the body to help cool the front brakes. That helps airflow under the car too, while also cleaning up the air up and over to the body to the rear wing. The effectiveness of the NACA ducts still surprises the GT department – the initial goal was merely brake cooling; those other benefits a useful, unexpected gain. As Preuninger admits: “You wouldn’t believe how much empirical stuff is still involved; despite all the computers, you have to try it out.”

It’s good for business

Every time Porsche releases a new GT model, it cannot build them quickly enough. That’ll certainly be the case here, with the GT3 RS likely to be over-subscribed. The previous car sold nearly 5,000 units globally, and Porsche is always looking at ways to increase capacity on the 911 line. For UK customers, that’s likely to mean, as with the previous RS, that early customers will have to stick with the standard range of colours, because Porsche’s Paint to Sample option, where they’ll paint it any colour you like, would slow the build process too much. Likewise, delays in production for the magnesium wheels with the Weissach Pack mean it’ll be a two-stage option, with the earliest customers unable to order their car with those lightweight wheels.

It will only feature an automatic gearbox

Yes, as it’s an RS, forget any hope of doing any old-fashioned three-pedal foot and hand work in the stripped and caged interior. There’s always the GT3 Touring for that, or a GT3 without the no-cost PDK option. There is a man in America who had the previous GT3 RS converted to a manual by using a 911R six-speeder, but that’s something that’s unlikely to ever happen again – unless you know any different. Quite simply, the PDK is faster; finger-flipped paddles and seven gears mean that not a lot, short of a hypercar or GT2 RS, will have the capacity to come close on track. The PDK has, of course, been honed for the new GT3 RS, featuring different bearings inside, while the rear axle ratio differs to compensate for the larger (21-inch) rear wheel and tyre package the RS brings over the standard GT3.

The man behind it isn’t your typical idea of a German engineer

He’s been associated with Porsche’s GT division cars since the second-generation 996 GT3, but Andreas Preuninger isn’t what you’d imagine a typical engineer to be. He rides KTM dirt bikes in his spare time (taking the number plates off so dog-walkers can’t serve him up to the law), hand-builds electric guitars and amps with his son, competes in rifle- and pistol-shooting competitions, and has a bright yellow Dodge Ram pick-up with a 5.7-litre Hemi in it that he’s considering supercharging. That’s his “gardening truck”, apparently. If he’s not busy with all of that, or putting miles on development GT cars, he’ll be on his 600bhp boat dreaming up the next GT department creation. Apparently, the 911R was a product of such big-horsepower aquatic pondering…

Link: http://www.topgear.com/car-news/geneva-motor-show/ten-things-you-need-know-new-porsche-911-gt3-rs

Interesting to see the stripe on the seats has all but gone if you choose the black interior... Seems like the seat is very dark grey, with a stripe slightly darker again.  Much more subtle.

--

DaveGordon:

Interesting to see the stripe on the seats has all but gone if you choose the black interior... Seems like the seat is very dark grey, with a stripe slightly darker again.  Much more subtle.

Did you notice Ferrari's Pista has a stripe down the center of its seats? 

Seats need to standout. If not a stripe then color inserts as is the case with the RS something I will order.Smiley

--

You have your way. I have my way. As for the correct way and the only way, it does not exist.

can't wait the AP video and everybody will run to the dealership and cry for one and 5000 cars here we go again smiley

hold on your GT3, they are rarer angry

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

Whoopsy:
    Kobalt:

SWE-GER 3-4   Sweden is now officially a country in sorrow.

Quite alright. Look at the Americans, they lost to Czech! Smiley

This is what happens when social justice goals take precedent over athletic ability.  In the States, this is one of the lowest rated Olympics ever and NBC will lose money on its endeavor.  Last week NBC announced that Adam Ripon, self-proclaimed everything, would be a host for the remainder of the games only to face an onslaught of viewer pushback.  Evidently, Johnny Weir satisfactorily covers that demographic.  

In othet news, has everyone seen the new Porsche Motorsport video of its top five race cars?

https://youtu.be/3k7pKQnynjE

That video looks like another pushback against Formula 1’s decision to ban grid girls or perhaps against a former Porsche driver...

the-missile:
    RC:

the law impose to put particular filter from 1st september.

additional material = additional cost. Porsche is not going to install something extra prior being obliged to do it.

don't talk about it, sell first batch, put filter sell more batches. job done. Smiley

car is 520hp with +/- tolerance. few hp on filter is well within the limit.

The non-particulate filter cars are the ones probably derated so the cars with the new filter will produce the stated 520 bhp.  I really wonder how the particulate filters will increase engine bay temperatures during track day forays. 

the-missile:

can't wait the AP video and everybody will run to the dealership and cry for one and 5000 cars here we go again smiley

Smiley

--

Estimated 7:05 at the Ring. Porsche are very clever. Preventing a sub 7:00 time, so that the turbo hybrid 992 GT3 can lap in 6:xx and collect the laurels and be forgiven. Engineering and marketing at its best.

--

White 991.2 GT3, production week 10

Gauss:

Estimated 7:05 at the Ring. Porsche are very clever. Preventing a sub 7:00 time, so that the turbo hybrid 992 GT3 can lap in 6:xx and collect the laurels and be forgiven. Engineering and marketing at its best.

It is simply Porsche’s version of:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

indecision

--

Exactly kiss

--

White 991.2 GT3, production week 10

bluelines:
    Gauss:

It is simply Porsche’s version of:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

indecision

One thought that was racing improves the breed.

the-missile:

I wouldn't care a bit about resale value or collector's value, I get what I like and what I enjoy driving. Probably the reason why I never was able to actually "collect" any car. Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    the-missile:

I wouldn't care a bit about resale value or collector's value, I get what I like and what I enjoy driving. Probably the reason why I never was able to actually "collect" any car. Smiley Smiley

I don't care about resale and value at all. I was joking. french humour though Smiley

no manual in the RS makes me doubting about getting one...Smiley

--

GT Lover, Porsche fan

Cayenne GTS 2014

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM