Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: 991.2 GT3 RS (2018)

Thats the danglies kiss..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

Oh yes, what a combo! kiss For once not green angryindecision

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Never thought of red with gold wheels but it works very well! Love itSmiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:

Didn’t Ferrari think of it in the 70s...?  The first Ferrari F1 and LeMans cars I remember following were red / gold. 

--

2017 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

I played around with that combo as well, looked like it could go either way in the rendering, but that red/gold looks great! Also has the advantage of being cheap - both red and the gold wheels are zero cost choices..

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

Love the red/gold... Very F1...

4trac:
    Carlos from Spain:

Didn’t Ferrari think of it in the 70s...?  The first Ferrari F1 and LeMans cars I remember following were red / gold. 

Now that you mention it, I think I had a slot car of one of those as a kid Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

EF279A7D-9D3C-4392-830F-44FC7580200B.jpeg

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Here is an excellent review which I got from RL. In the article the writer claims only 2000 RS's will be built with production ending early next year.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-porsch...s-o-1825566919

--

Where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be great.

nberry:

Here is an excellent review which I got from RL. In the article the writer claims only 2000 RS's will be built with production ending early next year.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-porsch...s-o-1825566919

The second bit of bad news is that the RS will only be produced until Spring of 2019. Estimates are that only about 2,000 RS-es will be allowed to roll of the line in that period of time, making one of the most sought-after Porsches also one of the most exclusive.

Spring 2019? Nothing new (this is not early 2019 Smiley).

Estimates by whom? Porsche is going to produce as many cars as possible (given supplier/production restrictions).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Gnil:

Beautiful in this color combo !

26c7922b64224a7cb12c31eafa7f2bb2.jpg

s18_0902_fine.jpg

s18_0914_fine.jpg

Agreed, much prefer that over lizard!

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

No matter which color, the GT3 RS looks amazing. Would prefer it over the GT2 RS anytime, especially for occasional track usage. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Porsche 911 GT3 RS 2018 review by Autocar

"This intoxicating farewell to the current 911 generation redefines just how brilliant a driver's Porsche can be"

(25 April 2018)

What is it?

Details, details, details. Yes, there’s a new Porsche 911 GT3 RS and that means there are lots of them. This is how GT Porsches go.

Is there a more consistent, more progressively evolutionary range of sports cars? GT comes, GT goes, probably a 3, maybe a 2, sometimes an RS, another GT arrives: all towards the latter end of a particular 911’s model cycle. All with minor but significant upgrades over the last. And, usually, redefining just how lovely you thought a driver’s Porsche could be.

The latest evolution comes the form of the ultimate naturally-aspirated ‘991.2’ generation 911, if you like these codes (and they seem to be the only way to keep up, sometimes), which will remain on sale until this generation of 911 goes out of production next year.

So, of 991 types of 911, there was 991 1st generation GT3 and GT3 RS, then 991 2nd generation GT3, then turbocharged GT2 RS, and now GT3 RS, the 911 with “the closest link to motorsport we have ever had”, says GT boss Andreus Preuninger.

That’s saying something, given the first ever GT3 RS, the 996 (do keep up), was created solely because Porsche needed to homologate two suspension uprights for its race cars. The engineers thought they might sell 700 and ended up shifting a couple of thousand. So these days marketing people as much as engineers drive the GT models forward.

This generation GT3 RS is not limited in volume, per se, but even at £141,346 there won’t be enough for everyone. They can only make so many alongside the regular 911s people also buy, and impending emissions regulations will also limit the numbers that can be registered in the EU – 1000 by this September, more next year, while Porsche works out supply deals and then seems generally surprised how many people want these specials: magnesium wheels, for example, mean that until 2019 you won’t be able to specify a ‘Weissach Package’ GT3 RS, which sheds 28kg on top of an already lightweight build, because the magnesium wheels – of exactly the size and design apart from the inscription on them – are all needed for GT2 RS models, on which everybody is specifying the Weissach option, again to Porsche’s surprise.

But I’m getting slightly ahead of myself. Easily done with a car like this: you start talking about one thing, and get lost into the web of details that takes you to.

For example: the NACA ducts on the bonnet. Just two small inlets. They suck air inwards and force it down to the brakes, but from there we can talk brakes or drag or downforce. Brake-wise: you can get standard steel discs or upgrade to carbon-ceramics, which are lighter but considerably more expensive; so if you’re spending loads of time on track it’s worth keeping the steels, perhaps counter-intuitively.

Drag? Those NACA ducts shove cool air into the wheelarch, but high pressure air in the wheelarch is a bunch of air you don’t want, so the wheel spokes are designed like rotors to fan air outwards, sucking it out of the arches. That reduces not just drag but also lift, as does the fact that, thanks to those bonnet ducts, vents in the front bumper that would have been used for brake cooling can instead direct fast moving air to the underbody, and fast moving air is good because it creates a low pressure area which aids the creation of downforce. The wider sills create a larger underfloor area for the same purpose, as does a rear diffuser.

And so it goes on: every detail leads to a hundred other things, all of which offer tiny percentage improvements of performance and handling, and added together they represent a step-change over the models they compliment or replace. It’s hard to know where to begin and end.

In short, though? The GT3 RS is a 4.0-litre, naturally-aspirated 911 whose 513bhp engine is a lot like the 911 Cup race car’s. There is rose-jointed suspension like a GT2 RS (and Cup car), spring rates close to the 911 Cup’s and almost as much downforce as a Cup car.

You’ve had to do a bit more than remove the registration number and fit a race number, but to convert from road car to race car is closer here than in anything this side of a Caterham. (Bar a Citroen C1, perhaps.)

What's it like?

My first mobile experience of the GT3 RS, though, comes as a passenger to Walter Rohrl - the world’s fastest septuagenarian and a man who has been helping develop GT 911s for years - around the Nurburgring GP circuit. He’s such a dab hand that he looks like he could be driving to the shops, were it not for the fact that the engine is wailing to the 9000rpm limiter, the angles are sometimes unusual and I feel queasy.

There’s this sharp left-right bend, after which, on a long straight, Rohrl says “the turn-in is just so…ah” and removes his hands from the wheel rubs his fingers together in what I take to be a visualisation of words that should be banned by our style guide for being too cringeworthy: grainy, nuggety, deftly pointed.

GT Porsches are unique among cars with roofs in the way they let you feel the integrity of their engineering, which manifests itself in a bloke who won the Monte Carlo Rally in a Lancia 037 going slightly gooey at the knees.

To the knees of those of us who haven’t won the world rally championship (twice) and their class at Le Mans, I suspect the GT3 RS will do the same. The driving position and environment is pure fast Porsche: lots of Alcantara if you want it (GT Porsches are unaffected by the factory’s apparent shortage, being higher up the priority list than some hatchbacks), superbly supportive fixed-back seats, a steering wheel that reaches far and is, praise be, round. There are only two pedals, well-spaced, what with a twin-clutch PDK gearbox being standard, and, my goodness – what’s this? - a key to start it with. You turn it, it begins. Who’d have thought?

The engine is zingy, revvy, and responsive as only a naturally-aspirated unit can be. It does things at low revs like make the car accelerate modestly, I’m sure, but my initial drive is only a few laps and they’d like me to keep up with a GT2 RS driven by somebody who knows what they’re doing more than I do, so I have to use the lot. And don’t turn the stability control off, they say. Which is fine, because halfway through it starts raining.

In the dry, though, the GT3 RS is extraordinary. The universally-jointed suspension feeds road feel back to the steering wheel remorselessly, yet – as in the GT2 RS – without evident kickback or corruption over kerbs and whatever poor surfaces you can find on a grand prix circuit.

It’s absurdly agile, too. This is a 1430kg car (a bit more if you specify a Clubsport pack, bringing a half-cage, which becomes titanium, around 40kg lighter than a GT2 RS as standard - albeit a bit more if it too gets a Clubsport pack, which adds a half cage, though if you then specify the Weissach Package that becomes titanium, so this weight issue becomes slightly tricky to keep up with.

But I suspect it’s where Porsche has reduced weight as much as how that gives the GT3 RS its basics: there are carbonfibre elements in the suspension, the roof is magnesium as standard (carbonfibre with the Weissach pack), the front wings are carbonfibre and the bumpers front and rear are both light. Porsche has reduced mass at the top of the car and at its extremes.

The rest of it the brilliance is down to the tuning: there are 275-width front tyres on 20in rims, and active rear-steer, so that this rear-engined car “feels almost mid-engined,” says Rohrl. The most notable difference between a GT3 and a GT3 RS is typically the more extreme car’s willingness to turn and its resistance to initial understeer. That trait is ever-present here.

Mid-corner, then, the balance is terrific, albeit sharp. You can unsettle the rear end as you turn, and you can unsettle it under power, too – and so quick is the engine response (and aggressive the Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres) that in the damp you can do that before you’ve even thought about it, although you’ll find a fair degree of understeer first.

This is not a car that tends to let go all of apiece, evenly balanced at either axle, with all of its weight in the middle, like a Ferrari, or with a lump of weight over both ends, like an Aston or the BMW M4 GTS – a car of whose easily manipulated handling I’m particularly fond. If something is happening in a GT3 RS, it’s usually to one pair of wheels or the other, rather than both together, and it can happen to either end at any given point in a corner.  

All the more surprising, then, that when the fast laps finish and they let me go out to drive some cornering passes for our videographer, when I can turn everything off, the GT3 RS is easily controlled at its limit, thanks to, well, a highly tuned combination of everything: impossibly well-controlled body movements (you can firm up the dampers if you want), active engine mounts that lock while cornering, a rear-steer system that knows to stay well out of things when it detects slip, steering that tells you absolutely everything, a good degree of steering lock, a gearshift that changes in an instant and a throttle that’s so minutely, linearly responsive that I swear, if there was an engine output meter on the dashboard, you could flex your toes to deliver a single extra horsepower.

Melded together, all of this is intoxicatingly brilliant.

Should I buy one?

If you want to know, then, which modern driver’s cars deliver more interaction, more mechanical feel and greater responsiveness than a GT3 RS, we’ll end up talking about Caterhams, Radicals and other lightweight specials. No coupe from another manufacturer runs a GT3 RS remotely close.

How good is it compared to its closest competitors: Porsche’s own GT cars? It has been a long while since I drove a previous-generation GT3 RS so I’m only faintly remembering that the new car is not just more responsive, but more importantly, more rewarding and more talkative than that. But for me not even a GT2 RS can match the new 3 RS: and that is, put bluntly, this car but with even more power thanks to a heavily turbocharged engine.

While I don’t think the 3 communicates any better than a 2, the messages it does transmit are superior: you can feel that it’s lighter, more willing to turn, easier and more satisfying to ease onto the throttle and keep it pinned. It’s why this car is only a few seconds slower than a 2RS around the Nurburgring Nordschleife despite being almost 200bhp down.

Yes, power is wonderful. But lightness is better. And in the form of the GT3 RS it goes into creating – little by little, detail by detail – what might just be the best driver’s car currently on sale.

Link: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/porsche/911-gt3-rs/first-drives/porsche-911-gt3-rs-2018-review

Smiley Smiley Smiley

It will be very special. I love the GR with the gold wheels but my present .2GT3 is GR. Need a change and that's why I went with LG. It will be a classic.kiss

--

That's a beautiful combo ! 

RC:

I guess it depends how literal they are being.  Until Spring means stopping on March 20.  Through Spring would basically include the first half of the year...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Real world pics of today at our OPC.

Blueflame

4FCC2195-9CAB-48B6-BA68-DB7B066111AE.jpeg
    8529468B-EB2B-460D-9550-9B4C9225506F.jpeg

LG looks terrific. Love the wheels with the LG stripe and the regular brake caliper gives it a nice offset. Just as I ordered my car.kiss

--

Thank for the article - great piece, great car

nberry:

LG looks terrific. Love the wheels with the LG stripe and the regular brake caliper gives it a nice offset. Just as I ordered my car.kiss

Twin as minekiss

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

Super Darius:
    nberry:

Twin as minekiss

Well done, guys. I love it Smiley....Smiley....

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Super Darius:
    nberry:

Twin as minekiss

I’m certain you’ll get yours before mine. What’s your delivery date? Mine is first or second week this November.

--

Grant:
    RC:

I guess it depends how literal they are being.  Until Spring means stopping on March 20.  Through Spring would basically include the first half of the year...

I rather assume June/July... Smiley (actually I heard May but... Smiley).

--

Which one of these would you choose for your favourite Sunday morning drive... to Starbucks? Smiley

Link: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/supercars/heres-every-version-porsche-911-gt3-rs

the 72 RS Toruing. Hands down.

And look at that pic to see how big modern 911 has become?

--

Boxster Coupe GTS:

Which one of these would you choose for your favourite Sunday morning drive... to Starbucks? Smiley

Link: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/supercars/heres-every-version-porsche-911-gt3-rs

I'm starting to lean towards the 996 RS. Based on looks I'm convinced my old 997 RS was the most cohesive design for the RS's.

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E  / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2011 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Performance / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

In that pic the newer cars look ridiculously big...

Boxster Coupe GTS:

The one in the middle. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691078 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410189 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256238 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235422 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65750 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4746 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858840 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775134 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM