Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

I spotted 3 Panamera's on the highway,South Africa

I was driving towards the office and I saw 3 funny looking cars in my rear view, so I pull to the middle lane and sure enough it was not 1, but 3 Porsche Panamera's in camo. The engines were very very quiet, I couldn't hear a thing so I didn't bother to try take a video. They all had german license plates.

This is one long car, much longer than the Cayenne.

Re: I spotted 3 Panamera's on the highway,South Af

Thanks Mike .

So based on what you observed it is going to be in the same size as the S, 7er, and A8, right?

Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Thanks Mike .

So based on what you observed it is going to be in the same size as the S, 7er, and A8, right?

Yes, I would say the A8L or 7-Li

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Thanks Mike .

Why would they do that? Surely nobody's waiting for a Porsche-limo?

Thanks for the pics Mike!

Quote:
    Porker said:

Some years ago... was anyone waiting for a Porsche AWD cross country vehicle based on a VW?

Thanks, Mike!

Re: I spotted 3 Panamera's on the highway,South Africa

These are one of the first pics, where you can actually see the final version of the exhaust pipes I guess.

Quote:
    Porker said:
    Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Thanks Mike .

Because if you enter for the first time a market, and you are Porsche you can't stay in a lower class than the highest of them all. so the 5, A6 and E class are lower than the 7, A8 and S class. I would not be happy to see Porsche lower than an S class Mercedes or than an A8 Audi.

I think that the line on the rear boot(trunk) in the third Panamenra (non-Turbo) makes all the difference to the ugly boot.
    Hopefully , that will be what the final boot door looks like.

Thanks Mike. Did the length make the car look funny? Since you were in the MCS, I am guessing that it makes the car look bigger too?

Great catch Mike!

Thanks! The noiselessy could have been from the Hybride????

Great spot Mike, thanks I just found this pic which really shows the curved outline of this car and the sheer size of it.

Quote:
    WAY said:
    Thanks Mike. Did the length make the car look funny? Since you were in the MCS, I am guessing that it makes the car look bigger too?

Hi Way, yes I was in the MCS, but I've got some big cars too and those cars were definately HUGE! (not phantom size though)

Quote:
    Lars997 said:
    Great catch Mike!

Thanks! The noiselessy could have been from the Hybride????

Possibly, or they seriously silenced the car to keep people guess what engine configuration they're going to use?

Great spotting Mike. Thanks.
    Lots of the testing is done in SA...
    I' ll be looking to spot some around Graaf Reinet ( there is a P testing place just outside of it) by the end of December

Always wanted to be the one that sees a camo-prototype

but the question is, which car where you driving Mike? :P

looks like the mini judging from the first picture

Quote:
    ed_moree said:
    Quote:
    Porker said:
    Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    Ron (Houston) said:
    Thanks Mike .

Because if you enter for the first time a market, and you are Porsche you can't stay in a lower class than the highest of them all. so the 5, A6 and E class are lower than the 7, A8 and S class. I would not be happy to see Porsche lower than an S class Mercedes or than an A8 Audi.

I agree to your theory, but the highest class containing sports(which should be synonym to 'Porsche')saloons, is the E/5/A6-class (63/M/RS-respectively) NOT the higher cllass, that's the part of their move I don't get, and the reason why I'm not fond of it...

IMO a Porsche approach to a 4-door car should be an E90 M3/b7 RS4 rival, in that class dynamism and practicality can go hand in hand, not so in higher classes (IMO ofcourse..)

I don't know about that, if you look at the market for 4 door cars with sporty character you've got the quattroporte, s8, m5(which isn't that refined/exclusive), 760 (more classic), ....
    I think lot's of people want a family car (which isn't a jeep) that comes from a brand with race car heritage.

Since Porsche isn't Porsche from 20 years a go and they also have to do what they have to do, IMO this is a great car!

But why does it still look BUTugly?? (stupid camo)

I guess this will be the same story over again, I never liked the idea of a Porsche 4door saloon and judging from the mules it is indeed BUTTugly.
    But, I and many others will probably end up liking it anyway...

I'll wait with my judgement for the official release of this car, because I bet Porsche will have some surprises in store for us again with this one.
    And once the camo is removed it will look very stylish, I see the potential of the design...

great spot Mike!!

Surprises for us in store again? Like what? Like no DSG, no LED lights, no bluetooth?
    Or surprises like air intakes for the 997 turbo which were stolen from the 996 techart? Like very strange design decisions as in the rtear of the 997 GT2?

I may sound sceptical, and that I am. Over the last years, porsche has been producing awesome cars, but they always had to spoil it with weird design and marketing decisions..

The Panamera is a weird marketing-driven decision anyway, and I don't think we'll end up with a car we'll fall in love with. All recent porsches (except the base 997 and 997C4) were cars "we had to get used to", not something we could like at first sight
    -Joost-

nice sighting Mike S.. your last pic is worth a lot cause it shows the new wing WITHOUT the camo!!!! omg im pumped...

Aron,
    The way I see it, there are different versions of the panamera. One with the huge wing, and one without. This could also clarify why there are prototypes with quad exhausts and with normal dual exhausts.
    -Joost-

The ones with the big wings (very big with the camo) are supposedly the Turbo versions.

Quote:
    Joost said:
    Aron,
    The way I see it, there are different versions of the panamera. One with the huge wing, and one without. This could also clarify why there are prototypes with quad exhausts and with normal dual exhausts.
    -Joost-

I assume you're right but why is there a need for huge spoilers on a limo, even if it'll have close to 600bhp...

If the RS6 can deal without, or even the S65 AMG, why does Porsche have to put half a table on the back to keep it stable

I'm very afraid concerning this car's styling... I'm losing my hope Porsche will ever give us a worthy successor to the 928 (designwise)..

Quote:
    Porker said:
    Quote:
    Joost said:
    Aron,
    -Joost-

I assume you're right but why is there a need for huge spoilers on a limo, even if it'll have close to 600bhp...

If the RS6 can deal without, or even the S65 AMG, why does Porsche have to put half a table on the back to keep it stable

I'm very afraid concerning this car's styling... I'm losing my hope Porsche will ever give us a worthy successor to the 928 (designwise)..

Cars with a sloping rear need a spoiler. The cars you mention have a high squared off rear. Also a 911 needs a spoiler or wing whereas a fast Mercedes or BMW or even a faster Ferrari does not.

Quote:
    reginos said:
    Quote:
    Porker said:
    Quote:
    Joost said:
    Aron,
    -Joost-

Cars with a sloping rear need a spoiler. The cars you mention have a high squared off rear. Also a 911 needs a spoiler or wing whereas a fast Mercedes or BMW or even a faster Ferrari does not.

take a look at the first Audi TT for example..

Reginos, I'd like to add something to that:
    Don't forget the difference between a spoiler and a wing, though they share some properties.
    On those new RS oudi's, and for example the cayenne, an edge is designed to make the airflow over the car go loose. This helps reducing DRAG, making the car more fuel efficient.
    A wing is designed to make the airflow over the car go upwarts at the rear of the car, thus creating a reaction force pushing the car down (Thus called downforce). Those wings often create a lot more drag, but this drag is overcome by the sheer power of the engine.
    It seems that the non-turbo versions have a small spoiler, just to reduce the drag, whilst the turbo models seem to have a wing to push the car down.
    I don't think that the differences in power/speed between the turbo and non-turbo cars justifies such a difference, but who knows? Smells like fishey marketing to me: "Hey, look, I have a huge wing, so I have the expensive version!"

Great find Mike. Thanks for posting

Hey mike, nice work, but how come you didn't trail them all day and get interior shots and find their secret garage and video it and ............

Quote:
    racerx said:
    Hey mike, nice work, but how come you didn't trail them all day and get interior shots and find their secret garage and video it and ............

becos he's got a daily job

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    781073 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442605 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263368 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261686 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85833 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5917 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881453 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818984 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM